Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

If you can recognize dumb behavior you can probably do well on cata. Its more important to not take chip damage, but the stuff that Will Kill You doesn't change that much. Play it safe and dodge/block over trying to get a hit in, stay close to friendlies, and shoot the specials. Same as Legend, just a bit more important on the specials and not trading hits. Cata players are generally chill and competent and know that poo poo happens, and jank exists, so unless you're doing Elf stuff you're gonna have a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Banano posted:

You'll find the people in cata a lot more competent than those you meet in legend. I'd say just dive in (once you have lvl 35 talents and a solid build) and let the others know you are new to cata and they will usually be pretty forgiving and try to look out for you a bit more. That said, if you have 4 people who all know their roles and can actually dodge, a cata run can almost be a casual romp to the finish but often if one person makes a one bad choice at the wrong time - run over. You will improve v. quickly playing cata

Agreed, there are other factors too other than the competence, Cataclysm players don't pick up books, and don't care about the rewards, so things going wrong are much more fun compared to being a Legend player who is still farming red items.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 18, 2022

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm surprised by the number of people still playing. I was able to get a Veteran game going with no wait at all. Who is still playing Veteran after all this time?!?

Highly recommend going to champion instead of veteran, in most PvE co-op games like this the middle difficulty usually ends up being filled with more failure runs and toxic people despite the lower difficulty because you got people fresh out of baby mode but not experienced compared to people running the higher difficulties on repeat that can carry a mission with their eyes closed, so you get those people raging at others for not being experts at the 2nd lowest difficulty like them despite them sucking.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's much easier to farm reds by playing Chaos Wastes anyways.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Arc Hammer posted:

It's much easier to farm reds by playing Chaos Wastes anyways.

Yeah but Chaos Wastes has Cataclysm too and the last thing most of us who play it care about is more loot boxes to dismantle and chuck into a digital landfill, that loot isn't even usable in Chaos Wastes.

If all 4 players are queueing into Cata CW for the first time then it's probably gonna be pretty bad. So it doesn't work if everyone starts doing it. But in general, this game has an inverse difficulty curve where queueing in the higher difficulties can end up easier to get into and faster for learning (not as a complete newbie though, unlock your talents first).

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 19, 2022

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

big cummers ONLY posted:

I would love to hear stories of griefers or bad teammates from everyone still watching the thread.

Not really on the same level, but I've a friend who unintentionally griefed the random on our team at the exit portal because he had a grenade and the "20% chance to get a grenade back on throw"

So he throws it and gets another one
And another one
And another one
And another one

He is like "Cool this is neat" meanwhile I'm shouting STOP, STOP! and he is like "what?" then he says "oh" when he realizes what happened, the random is dead because he spammed grenades while they were crawling to the exit around the corner thinking that because he couldn't take damage in the exit portal that he also couldn't -deal- damage to others.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 18, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Highly recommend going to champion instead of veteran, in most PvE co-op games like this the middle difficulty usually ends up being filled with more failure runs and toxic people despite the lower difficulty because you got people fresh out of baby mode but not experienced compared to people running the higher difficulties on repeat that can carry a mission with their eyes closed, so you get those people raging at others for not being experts at the 2nd lowest difficulty like them despite them sucking.

I appreciate your post. Apparently I'm an idiot and just misremembered, I was playing Champion. I used to play Legend/Cataclysm and just wanted to get a game or two in to get in the groove before hitting the harder difficulties. You're absolutely right though.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

For me personally the biggest jump was between Champ and Legendary. I did couple of runs with bots to get used to the wave density and damage that you can take before going into pubs.

But it feels really fun and rewarding once you starting clearing legendary with barely any damage taken and start flexing into other classes.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

I'm surprised by the number of people still playing. I was able to get a Veteran game going with no wait at all. Who is still playing Veteran after all this time?!?

It's me, I'm the Vet player. My friends are so incredibly bad about not walking across lines of fire so we play on the highest difficulty without FF.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

bbcisdabomb posted:

It's me, I'm the Vet player. My friends are so incredibly bad about not walking across lines of fire so we play on the highest difficulty without FF.

Likewise. I'm glad the mechanics are deep enough that people enjoy mastering them and going up the higher difficulties but I just want to mash left click and see rats die and veteran is a great difficulty for that.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Humble has a bundle, though it seems more Vermintide 1-heavy.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oof, I do not like playing with this new elf class. Not sure why they thought giving a player the ability to make a wall and also the ability to move anything you're aiming at up in the air before you shoot, but I do not like it!

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
it keeps a storm vermin from slamming and jamming it can be worth it

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
let the rats slam and jam i say

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Oof, I do not like playing with this new elf class. Not sure why they thought giving a player the ability to make a wall and also the ability to move anything you're aiming at up in the air before you shoot, but I do not like it!

The moving Wall is actually super useful, especially in CW. Its situational but its a good support ability and probably one of my favorite abilities that's not just "kill thing, faster"

Get to flagbearers easier by parting the Sea of Goats
https://i.imgur.com/5RSDkSz.mp4

Abuse Fatshark's reliance on circle arena events
https://i.imgur.com/SUPXhNA.mp4

Clear space for rezzes in shitstorms
https://i.imgur.com/1A7HN7T.mp4

Buy yourself some time when plagues show up mid surprise boss
https://i.imgur.com/BxQAlmd.mp4

Let the stragging teammate catch up without having to kill every individual rat
https://i.imgur.com/eR6Mx9B.mp4

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

What in the gently caress

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Maybe they fixed #name? and it required updating every level file

E: No update notes, nothing posted in their forum or in steam update history or reddit. Probably Geheimnissnacht or something, since its that time of year

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I wish they'd put out a cut down install of the game that only plays the Chaos Wastes, because I cannot justify the size of the base game's install when that's all I want to play, dammit.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

They posted notes for the 40gb patch.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/552500/discussions/0/3481871357442019551/

"Chaos Wastes mission modifiers should no longer display #NAME?."

Hopefully they fixed it right this time

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Kokoro Wish posted:

I wish they'd put out a cut down install of the game that only plays the Chaos Wastes, because I cannot justify the size of the base game's install when that's all I want to play, dammit.

100% this

Also I don't play VT2 enough to keep 100G+ on my HD for it.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
The patch notes say that after application the game should be about 25GB smaller, so at least there’s that.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Fishstick posted:

The moving Wall is actually super useful, especially in CW. Its situational but its a good support ability and probably one of my favorite abilities that's not just "kill thing, faster"

Oh, I have no doubt that it's useful and your clips definitely show that. But it's also very annoying when players are really stretching to use it. For example, when playing as IB and I'm getting in the groove for a horde, then a loving wall appears out of nowhere taking up my whole screen and changing the flow of the horde. Just annoying. And the lift ability, I was missing a good number of shots on elites/specials because our elf kept lifting them, causing my shot to miss. Both abilities that are undeniably useful, but still very aggravating at times for me.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Oi look at the little dwarf. Too short to hit a floating chaos warrior lmao

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
If I started playing this today.. what is the bare minimum to get into? I own vt2 but none of the DLCs and I played a gently caress ton of vt1 but never touched vt2.

Just wondering if I'm going to be really really far behind the fun

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

IMO, you don't absolutely need any of the DLC. Enjoy it and pick up the DLC as you want.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I've reinstalled because 30 more days to Darktide is driving me nuts and I think basically every Veteran game I've played in someone has quit when the run got even a little hairy, it's a bit annoying. Chaos Wastes seems fun though so I'm gonna persevere.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

TipsyMcStagger posted:

If I started playing this today.. what is the bare minimum to get into? I own vt2 but none of the DLCs and I played a gently caress ton of vt1 but never touched vt2.

Just wondering if I'm going to be really really far behind the fun

DLC in VT2 is real fuckin weird. Every idea they had feels like a testbed that didn't completely play out properly so you end up with like several different 'kinds' of DLC.

There are a few maps/map packs. These usually come with weapons and a few weapon skins. It's been a long time since I bought them so I don't remember completely but in at least one case the new weapons are also locked behind achievements for some reason.

There's the Winds of Magic DLC which... well, it has more weapons, again, but the actual DLC content is terrible and feels like a testbed for what would later become Chaos Wastes, which is 100% better and free.

In both of those cases, the weapons are really more important than the maps, since in theory you can play a new map with anybody who already has the DLC purchased. And whether or not you want those weapons and the rigmarole that entails is going to be dependent on your experience with the game, so they really aren't Day 1 purchases. If getting a polearm for Saltzpyre means that much to you (it did for me!) than maybe look into it, otherwise, no worries.

The cosmetic shop was a relatively recent addition to the game; before that all cosmetics were either rare drops or achievement locked. I honestly do not know if the cosmetics are still droppable or not; I have so many chests I will never open that I no longer care. Somebody else can probably answer that. But again, largely irrelevant, standard microtransaction stuff.

Finally you have new classes. These are probably the most interesting things to buy but again you'll want to know whether or not you even like a character before you start buying extra classes for them.

It's all very optional and a bit of a mess, but it's a fun mess. Chaos Wastes is the best new addition and also free.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I actually liked doing the weaves from Winds of Magic and seeing how far we could get, but as a game mode it's basically been completely abandoned by Fatshark. I think they've been on the current 'season' for two years now.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The game decided I needed to go read the Winds book the other day and I don't actually want to do a mission to get the notification icon off my screen.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Do you think there will ever be a DLC class for Sienna or is that DOA given Darktide?

Valdent
Mar 16, 2016
They've actually addressed sienna dlc + continued vermintide support fairly recently I believe. It mostly amounted to just wait until darktide comes out and we can move some staff back.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Valdent posted:

They've actually addressed sienna dlc + continued vermintide support fairly recently I believe. It mostly amounted to just wait until darktide comes out and we can move some staff back.

As good as they have been about supporting VT, this just seems incredibly unlikely to me. Feel free to quote this when the Sienna DLC comes out.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

This came very out of left field. Surprise new content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv6ZJGOSD_A

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
So about that continued support.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

The also announced a month long celebration for 7 years of the tide. So if anyone was on the fence about getting VT2, Do not worry. It's free as gently caress.

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/vermintide2giveaway

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I've got friends who know I play VT2 and want DLC recommendations but other than the class DLCs I just do Winds and QuickPlay so I have no idea. What DLC should I recommend?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Back to Ubersreik because the maps are good.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Some friends and I picked this up recently and we keep running into the same problem- no matter what mode we're on, whoever isn't party leader will keep getting randomly booted from the game and have to re-join. I've done some googling and apparently this has been a known thing with VT2 for a while, with no patching in site. Anyone know of a workaround for this?

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Pope Guilty posted:

I've got friends who know I play VT2 and want DLC recommendations but other than the class DLCs I just do Winds and QuickPlay so I have no idea. What DLC should I recommend?

It depends on what they want, if they haven't played enough to know they want something, they should wait until they do

Careers - They are all fine, with Bardin's performing the worst but he's still completely viable and some people even ENJOY him
Bogenhafen - More maps, the maps are fine.
Ubersreik - More maps, I like the maps. Everyone gets a new weapon, most notably Kruber's Mace/Sword and Bardin's hammers which are top tier
Winds of Magic - A dogshit map I hate and more weapons, I actually like all of the new weapons you get with this but ymmv. Also I think you need to beat the map to unlock beastmen as a possible enemy type? Can't remember
Forgotten Relics - More weapons, that are all also pretty good.

If you own the maps, you can drag 'em through without them having to buy anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
Trail of treachery is released!