Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

DRG and VT2 are the perennial coop games of my group and it's amazing how much VT2 shits the bed in so many areas. I really love it though. Put in 60 hours or so over the last couple months and Im enjoying leveling everyone to 35 and trying to memorize book locations.

I play single player a lot more often because I want all the books and pubs just can't handle it. I play on champ cause I'm bad.

The one time I decided to leave it open was on into the breach. I was alone the whole time, got all the books. An elf joined right as I started the last event in front of the sigmar statue. The elf immediately ran to the other side of the room alone and died.

Elf: thanks for taking the bots all the way over there.
Me: you loaded in, ran to the other side of the room from where I was fighting, and died lol
Elf: smoothbrain player

I finish the horde. The other two bots drop and I lose their tomes and grimoires.

Elf: toxic rear end in a top hat. No books for you :)

I walked away from my computer without completing the mission, leaving him hogtied in a corner. Was disconnected when I came back a few hours later and had a friend request from him. I declined it.

Single player it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I attribute it 100% to there being a dedicated button for cheering. All multiplayer games should have that.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Recommended build for sienna that is easy to play? I'm leveling her and I can't find one where I feel useful. I'd like to be dot-based so that looks like battle wizard, but a lot of the staves don't make sense to me.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

New sienna stick: I want to use it for the M1 on my crit dagger build (the middle class) and I luckily rolled max crit and crit power. I'm wondering if this is making the M2 useless because stuff would catch fire but I didn't feel like the burn did an appreciable amount flof damage. I guess I could test on the dummies. But I already typed this post up and I'm not gonna just delete it

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Stay near your team, learn situations where you cause friendly fire damage and try to avoid them (FF starts on champion difficulty I think), and, in general, practice keeping track of your team in big chaotic fights. There's a lot going on but sticking by your teammates is, I think, a central tenet of this game

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

There are generic commands like "come here" but no WoW-style location markers.

Gotta look at models for loadouts but team coordination isn't a big deal until higher difficulties. Just have a loadout with options for dealing with hordes, specials, and armored enemies. Between your two weapons it's pretty easy to sufficiently cover all three bases, especially in low difficulties

E: also don't sweat it while you're experimenting. If you realize three minutes into a run that you have no good way to deal with hordes, that's just a learning experience

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Was in a run for 40 minutes, pubs caused a wipe because they were poking around slowly and we kept eating hordes. Host quits on the wipe, backend error, I get nothing. Not even xp. Genuinely feels like a waste of my time when that happens even though I have fun in the moment-to-moment gameplay. Feels reaaaal bad.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I also had the stroke of genius to bind tag to side of mouse and it's amazing.

Bots seem smarter, I played a solo match and when I would tag an extra potion, whoever had the least health would use theirs and then pick up the pot. That was nice.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Maybe someone can convert me to AoE ranged weapons because I don't see the point. Even if your melee is ST-focused, you can't kill with it at range, and specials spawn so often that it feels inevitable that your team will NEED to kill something at range to stop a failure cascade and you will be the only viable person to make it happen. Plus if you're in a pug there's like a 15% chance you will be the only one with even a passing concern forvspotting specials.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Arsonide posted:

Everything I have read says it is poo poo, but my experience is the opposite. If you are even mildly okay at predicting where a horde will run, it will totally gently caress them up.

If your group can kite the boss onto the M2, it will melt the boss

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Had what felt like a skill plateau breakthrough last night. Fell into a situation in a horde that would normally kill me - five chaos knights aggroed on me, 2 team members dead, warpstormer somewhere hidden in a big open area - and clutched it. Normally I would see the situation and panic but instead I looked at the chaos warriors and thought "aim for the head", executed everything around me, put a shot into the blightstormer (grail knight spotted it and marked it) and we walked away. Very satisfying.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Billhook was what I was using when I John Wick'd my way through those Chaos Warriors. I didn't like it for chaff though. I think my favorite Saltz melee is either the flail or the axe+falchion. Idk if they're meta but they feel weighty and fun.

The only character-specific stereotype I can think of that seems prevalent is "waystalker continuously pushes forward without looking back at the team" which is a self-solving problem once a disabler spawns on them

big cummers ONLY fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 29, 2021

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Also some of the dialogue suggests Saltzpyre lost his eye by making a deal with Tzeentch, maybe to gain some insight or understanding of the Skaven. So if you think that's what happened, he's already hella compromised

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Brendan Rodgers posted:

If you do have a dwarf with a giant gun in your run, just let them shoot hordes and don't feel compelled to be constantly pressing W and left click, this is really advanced tactics so go slow with mastering this technique.

There are other directions that the dwarf isn't currently aiming at. If you look at the dwarf very carefully, you can try to figure out which angles are the other ones. In maths I think this concept is known as orthogonality.

This didn't work, the dwarf kept firing into hordes I was already melee engaged with and hitting me, what am I doing wrong?

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Some questions about Bardin's iron breaker ult, been running legend with him while learning since his damage reduction is so forgiving.

1) does the taunt only affect enemies in range and on activation, or will new combatants arriving to the fight be drawn to Bardin (as if it were an aura)?
2) what does "block anything" mean? I feel like I have taken damage while blocking in ult
3) can allies take aggro back with pushes?
4) I've been using it to try and lock down packs of elites while my team deals with problems elsewhere, effectively cc'ing packs of stormvermin or chaos warriors for the duration. Is this the generally recommended use for the ult?

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Tbh that name is enough of a turnoff that I'm not gonna click the video

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I know I'm late but the 45 second timer at the end of a game seems like an unnecessary and terrible change. Makes defeats sting even worse when you're just staring at the screen waiting. Why'd they extend it so much?

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Vargs posted:

Are the melee attacks actually worthwhile? A weapon that can't block and seems to solely consist of the types of pokes that I generally try to avoid using as much as possible on other spears doesn't really get me fired up. Why not just switch to a real melee weapon?

I think you answer your own question. Don't use weapons you inherently dislike. (the answer to your last question is "because you think the spear is fun")

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I played a CW run last night where the dwarf engineer took every opportunity to fire into melee, no matter if it was needed or helpful or if anyone was close by. It must have been the guy in this thread a couple weeks ago who condescendingly told us we could go fight somewhere that the dwarf wasn't shooting. I thought of that every time I ran up to an enemy and got shot in the back. Guess I should have known the dwarf would shoot me no matter where I ran

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I think you'll fill games on champ. If people complain about your level, tell them to suck poo poo, it's champ. If they're a long-time player in champ it either means they're just screwing around while drunk or they're too terrible for Legend, where everyone plays

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Can't speak to the other ones but if all three people want to go to a node, I say gently caress it and go there. Not my fault if it sucks. Definitely not worth kicking someone over though unless you were picking movement speed over crit chance or something

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I see people talking about hitting breakpoints to oneshot specials or elites with your ranged weapon, usually specified as bodyshots or headshots

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I don't want to put words in arcsquad's mouth but I think when they say "center of horde" they mean "not on the side edges, but the front center edge". So the rats are all kind of in front of you more or less, but in a wide arc, so you can cleave em. I don't think they mean the literal center, surrounded by rats. But I'm not great at this game so that might be exactly what they mean!

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I would guess champion is largest because it's the highest difficulty that's still forgiving enough for the average pubbie to clear pretty easily. Pubs in legend are usually competent enough in my experience but there's still a 30% chance that you'll wipe. Seemed more pervasive in chaos wastes but I haven't played in a few months

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I'm playing on a new account, leveling Saltz as the new career. All my reward boxes have weapons from the other careers that I can't use. ~10 boxes and no usable weapons. Bug, bad luck, or a mechanic I forgot about?

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

If I ever knew that, I forgot. Thanks!

I really like the new Saltz career. Popping invuln onto someone half a second before 3 plague monks reach them is so satisfying

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I'm snowed in so apologies if this is too long and rambly and offtopic but this is a bunch of foundational advice. Always keep in mind that there's a ton of nuance and you can find exceptions to almost every statement I make here.

Everyone's "role" is to avoid damage and murder things, in that order. The class abilities and talents just help you do these two things in specific ways.

Keeping your health helps everyone. It's your most important job. You want to prevent as much damage as possible. So practice blocking a lot, checking behind you every few seconds, weaving pushes into your attacks, and dodging. It is almost never worth trading hits, so if it looks like an attack is unsafe and punishable, it's usually better to do something else, like reposition. Dodging and situational awareness are as important for your offense as executing combos and selecting correct targets.

When deciding what to do in combat, play to your strengths. Like you can spec Kruber for hordes or elites, so plop yourself on the front lines of hordes and cleave away if you AoE spec, or push chaff out of the way so you can execute the elites peppered into the crush as a ST build. In the beginning when you don't have a lot of talents you can just use your weapon tags and your class base abilities as a guideline for how you should play. There's a ton of nuance though, and your situation might dictate you need to do something you aren't particularly specced well for - this is where skill comes in and just doing the best you can with what you have.

If your ranged weapon is a sniper or otherwise long-range/high damage, you are responsible for killing specials, and share that responsibility with everyone else similarly equipped. Just don't try to snipe a special if it means taking hits, you will end up hurt badly and probably miss your shot anyway.

I wouldn't worry about team comp until Legend. The only thing you might want to pay attention to is how many dedicated melee classes you have. Kruber's Grail Knight, Bardin's Berzerker, and Saltz's Warrior Priest all lack ranged weapons. This increases the workload for special-killing on the remaining party members. If you see two people are already playing melee-only classes, consider not playing the third - it's a lot of work for one person to do all the special-killing, and if they get overwhelmed and can't take a shot for whatever reason, things can easily snowball into a wipe. Other than that specific instance though, just play what's fun.

I'd consider moving into champion as soon as it's unlocked, as long as you are at least level 5 for the temporary health talents. I've put about 40 hours into pugging Champion the past few weeks (alt account), and the only problem with Champ is that you will fail a lot due to no fault of your own. Champion mostly consists of brand new players without full talents (like yourself) and people who have played for hundreds of hours but are not interested in getting good enough to pug Legend games. This means seeing a level 35 in a champion game is actually kind of scary because... why aren't they playing legend? Sometimes they're stoned and just want to bash rats, but it seems like usually they are just bad and die to stupid, obvious mistakes even on low difficulties. Stuff like getting tunnel vision on hordes and taking stray hits from behind, killing enemies pointlessly with ranged weapons so their killcount goes up but denying vital temporary HP gains you can get from melee kills, friendly firing the poo poo out of you, ignoring specials when they are the only one positioned to take them out... the list goes on. I never get tilted when my team is a bunch of level 13 people and we die, but it drives me nuts when there's a level 35 who cannot stay alive and cannot stop setting me on fire as I'm running to the next pack.

If you just cannot stay standing in Champion, no shame in going back to veteran to practice your fundamentals in a less-punishing environment.

tldr #justplay and if you find yourself liking a specific career, you can look up a build on youtube or the steam forums and get ideas for how to play it even better.

big cummers ONLY fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 2, 2022

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I'll wait three days to make sure it's stable enough to play and then I'm diving in. "Have fun in a great game" and "have fun in a broken abyss of a game" are both having fun

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Crit lightning now a weapon skill instead of a boon, good change imo.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Bots work fine for the most part

Pugs are often fine. Most champion games are wins. In legend it feels like the competency of the pugs has higher variance. You get excellent players who can carry a team, and you get people who really aren't ready for that escalation in difficulty.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I didn't play darktide but I fell into a v2 hole a few weeks ago and have played every day since. Trying to do all the achievements for beating every map on legend with every class. Don't know what I'll do after that because cata seems like it will be very frustrating for me - poor reflexes, plus the diceroll of teammate competency.

Absolutely love this game's melee mechanics. I wish there was a 60-hour single-player epic on the market with similar melee mechanics

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Yeah I'm usually not the weakest player on the team but idk. I still take dumb damage, still find myself out of position or left behind, etc. And I have anxiety about being the reason a run fails. We'll see if I ever even finish legend, maybe I won't have to worry about it!

e: I will say that while competency varies and gets worse during prime time, most groups in Legend are Good Enough right now and there's usually at least one player on the team who is slumming it and can carry if they have to. And only maybe 3 toxic players in 80+ games so far.

1) Two people friendly firing me and another guy the entire time, but in a way where I thought they were just bad. They FFed us down just outside of the exit portal and then teabagged us. I quit out after 30 seconds because I didn't want to help amuse them by getting downed every few feet to the portal. I thought this kind of trolling died years ago
2) Someone ran ahead of the group constantly, just sprinting through areas, playing a warhorn sound effect through voice chat. That was unfunny and we died instantly so it wasted my time but that's on the lower end of toxicity
3) Just now had a Sienna who was yelling and trying to micromanage positions in the middle of a fight, got mad at us for moving on, complained that it was our fault when she dropped. I told her "stfu or leave, toxic af" and she stopped. Finished the map after friendly firing me a few times in questionable circumstances, then quit the game ten feet from the exit portal for some reason? She wasn't hosting so she didn't own any of us

As long as you aren't trying to actively ruin my time, I will suffer any amount of incompetence.

I would love to hear stories of griefers or bad teammates from everyone still watching the thread.

big cummers ONLY fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 18, 2022

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Pope Guilty posted:

I've got friends who know I play VT2 and want DLC recommendations but other than the class DLCs I just do Winds and QuickPlay so I have no idea. What DLC should I recommend?

It depends on what they want, if they haven't played enough to know they want something, they should wait until they do

Careers - They are all fine, with Bardin's performing the worst but he's still completely viable and some people even ENJOY him
Bogenhafen - More maps, the maps are fine.
Ubersreik - More maps, I like the maps. Everyone gets a new weapon, most notably Kruber's Mace/Sword and Bardin's hammers which are top tier
Winds of Magic - A dogshit map I hate and more weapons, I actually like all of the new weapons you get with this but ymmv. Also I think you need to beat the map to unlock beastmen as a possible enemy type? Can't remember
Forgotten Relics - More weapons, that are all also pretty good.

If you own the maps, you can drag 'em through without them having to buy anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

gently caress the SLED just SLID down the SLOPE