Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoldenPrice
Oct 2, 2013
Dorf me up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Wanna be a Dwarf and die gloriously!

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

I lust for death, dwarf me please!

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

ro5s posted:

I lust for death, dwarf me please!

Bad news for you. Things don't seem to stay dead for too long around here.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Dwarf me up please.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
From the Journal of Oddom "DivineCoffeeBinge" Mersethzulban, Chef, Jeweler, Fortress Founder

What the hell have I done with my life?

To this day I'm not sure why we started following Lokum lelumigoth. Somehow she just seemed like the person to listen to, you know? After we got separated from the original group of settlers she was the one who started giving orders, and we all just sort of listened. I regret this immensely, given that her orders led us to a cursed volcano where nothing ever stays dead and loving zombie budgies are a constant threat. Zombie animals would be bad enough, but zombie animal parts are even worse. People are getting attacked by wool.

Wool!

Blessed Atir help us, can you imagine what it would be like to get killed by loving wool? I can just see the engravings now. "The wall is adorned with an exquisite carving of a dwarf. The dwarf is being attacked by wool. This is a reference to the death of Lokum Hooplehead in the year 567." There'll probably be some loving cheese and elephants, too. That kid Biosterous is going to start learning engraving, right? I should drop him a note.

Oh Gods above help us if elephants show up.

Anyways, I'm keeping busy, carving jewelry while I wait to get proper brewing supplies and ingredients. I made a really nice ring the other day; which promptly got traded away for metal. Yeah, Atir forbid I get to enjoy the fruits of my labors. Guarantee you before long we'll be up to our asses in smiths being all "Look at this sweet metal poo poo I made" and "gently caress you stay out of my magma forge I'm gonna make a masterwork puzzle box or something equally useless from the perspective of keeping us from getting killed by zombie squirrels" and do you think I'll get any loving credit? My entire rear end I will, they'll all just come up to me and beg for more beer so they can drink to forget the horrors of the place they've chosen to settle down in. That's if we don't all die from more "accidental" magma channels being built all over the place, Armok save us.

I'm gonna go drink more and pray to as many Gods as I can remember that this place doesn't reanimate mushrooms too; if I have to fight my own loving ingredients I am going to lose my mind. "You should join our settlement group, make your fortune, maybe start a family," they said. Why the hell did I listen? I'm such a bloody hooplehead. Need more beer.

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 10, 2018

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
If I had a list of sentences I would never have used to describe myself, "married to Hitler's Gay Secret" would definitely have been on it.

I'm little worried about how being susceptible to disease is going to go in this place.

Windy Skunk
Jun 15, 2012

Windy Skunk posted:

Add me to the dwarfing list! I'd prefer a cook or a tavern keeper.

You seemed to have missed me on the dwarfing list btw.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

If I had a list of sentences I would never have used to describe myself, "married to Hitler's Gay Secret" would definitely have been on it.

I'm little worried about how being susceptible to disease is going to go in this place.

In a just world, parts of you could rot and die before the rest of you, then rise from the dead to attack the still-living parts of you.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Well that's why we have amputations.

Actually I don't think that's something DF has although it's been a bit since I last played. Maybe I've just been spoiled by Rimworld's medicine system.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Actually I don't think that's something DF has although it's been a bit since I last played. Maybe I've just been spoiled by Rimworld's medicine system.

I think surgery can take off limbs

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I don't think it's a medical procedure, but we definitely have ways of severing limbs. :q:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Speaking of features that are in now, we now have the ability to send out troops to conquer the world, don't we?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

NewMars posted:

Speaking of features that are in now, we now have the ability to send out troops to conquer the world, don't we?

Indeed.

And if anyone has the secrets of life and death lying around, we might want to try to get them.

You know, for research.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Aww yiss, another Dwarf Fortress LP. Dwarf me, preferably an Engraver.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Gnoman posted:

boisterous

nope wrong

nope still wrong

(it's correct in-game, though, that's good)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

biosterous posted:

nope wrong

nope still wrong

(it's correct in-game, though, that's good)

Oh dammit, mea culpa

Expecting usernames to be actual words, what kind of a moron am I

(EDIT: in case it's unclear, I wasn't being a sarcastic dick; I went back and corrected because names are important! I mean, I always get irrationally irritated when someone calls me DivineCoffeeBeing, too, so...)

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 10, 2018

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I write these up in Word before posting, and I think autocorrect kicked in without me noticing there. I made very sure to get it right when I put it into the game.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I too would like to be dwarfed, please :shobon: I don't think I've ever actually managed to be named in a fortress. It doesn't matter what profession, though preferably a male dwarf if at all possible.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cant cook creole bream posted:

Hey. I'm useful :v:

And I know what's really important!

Is there any information on the gods? Because Vesh Puzzlinglanced the Jackal of Gorging sounds great.

Vesh Puzzlinglanced the Jackal of Gorging is a deity that occurs in the myths of The Banded Diamonds (our civilization), most often depicted as a female dwarf and associated with the realm of nightmares.

Notable worshipers of Vesh include the dwarf rulers Atis Giftedwheel and Vabok Bellbite.

Atis Giftedwheel was a female dwarf who was one of the first of her kind.

Vabok Bellbite was a male dwarf born in 23 to unknown parents. In the early spring of 78, he became the king of The Banded Diamonds.

His wife, Tun Tomeplanks, was also a worshiper of Vesh.

Not to be alarmist, but there seems to be a clear pattern here between worshiping Vesh and being eaten by monstrous creatures. :unsmigghh:

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Yeah well maybe don't propitiate the Goddess of Nightmares if you don't want to be eaten by horrible nightmares brought to life. It's not that complicated, people.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Addamere posted:

Vesh Puzzlinglanced the Jackal of Gorging is a deity that occurs in the myths of The Banded Diamonds (our civilization), most often depicted as a female dwarf and associated with the realm of nightmares.

Notable worshipers of Vesh include the dwarf rulers Atis Giftedwheel and Vabok Bellbite.

Atis Giftedwheel was a female dwarf who was one of the first of her kind.

Vabok Bellbite was a male dwarf born in 23 to unknown parents. In the early spring of 78, he became the king of The Banded Diamonds.

His wife, Tun Tomeplanks, was also a worshiper of Vesh.

Not to be alarmist, but there seems to be a clear pattern here between worshiping Vesh and being eaten by monstrous creatures. :unsmigghh:

We live on borrowed time, bestowed by Her Grace.
My body is ready to be consumed by the children of Vesh, for we all must return to the realm of nightmares from whence we came.

Yeah well maybe don't propitiate the Goddess of Nightmares if you don't want to be eaten by horrible nightmares brought to life. It's not that complicated, people.

I kinda have to agree here. Who in their right mind would worship the the goddess of the Realm of Nightmares? How does that cult get new followers?

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 11, 2018

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Oh man, we have a death cult that worships the God of Nightmares and gets eaten horrible monsters. What if these guys are trying to get consumed by nightmares? What if these terrible beasties are seen as avatars of the God of Nightmares? That might explain why we are settling in the most horrible place imaginable That would be metal as poo poo :black101:

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 11, 2018

A Bad Place
May 25, 2008
The Triumph of the Wise Path and the Fortress Valleysilences
Year 1: The Solemn Destiny of Dwarves

a musical offering penned by Onget "A Bad Place" Roomsquirted, a humble bard

We're scattered.
I saw the fisherdwarves
get splattered.
Creatures of the Night
are getting fatter
on platter after platter.
It's a disaster.
Now we can't find the
caravan master.
Or anyone else
for that matter.

We're lost. We're alone.
A thousand miles from home.

East, west,
which way? No,
we're back at the volcano.
Can't go back the way we came, though,
like moths drawn to a flame; so
we'll have to stake our claim.

(Acclaimed, insane levels of fame.
Magma in our veins, gems falling like rain.
Can't count how many elves I've slain,
they don't know my name, they just feel the pain.
That's why my tomb's engraved,
and yours is plain.)

Home is where the heart is.
But this is the heart of darkness.

Gotta bust them twice:
give them last rites,
then another bite
when they rise,
then I tan their hide.
We take pride in our zombicide.
Axedwarf opens wide, better get inside.
Please keep your arms and legs
in the minecart at all times

because

In Valleysilences
every day the violence is
all around us. We don't carry licences
for our dental ordnance:
no swords just
incisors to your gourd, 'cause
we're all about the culinary sciences.
Undead don't frighten us.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Oh man, we have a death cult that worships nightmares and horrible monsters. What if these guys are trying to get consumed by nightmares? That might explain why we are settling in the most horrible place imaginable That would be metal as poo poo :black101:

Funny you should mention that!

Momuz Steppemirrors is the current king of The Banded Diamonds.

He is an ardent worshiper of Geshud, a deity that occurs in the myths of The Banded Diamonds. Geshud is most often depicted as a male dwarf and is associated with murder, death, war, and fortresses.

And what is this "Guardshot" that was created by Geshud in 100?

Well, this fellow held onto it for 7 years before placing it in a place called Basesmined.

And where is that lovely place?

Why, due west of a place called The Volcano of Torments.

Addamere fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 11, 2018

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I love how insanely :black101: DF gets sometimes.

Also, maybe I missed something, but why is virtually everything rising up as the undead around here? :iit:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I think a corner of our embark point is on a corner of horrifying cursed land or something. The fort has a little Pet Sematary bleeding in is all.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

theshim posted:

Also, maybe I missed something, but why is virtually everything rising up as the undead around here? :iit:

That's just a thing that happens around here. Might as well ask why it rains or why there's that ominous fog or why there's wind.

Enemy Input
Feb 26, 2014
This place. :iit:
I 'd like to become a Dwarf, please.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Dorf me, please.

Preferably as someone with the power to issue ridiculous decrees and/or as a particularly stupid child.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

theshim posted:

I love how insanely :black101: DF gets sometimes.

This happens whenever you embark on any territory listed as 'haunted' or 'terrifying'. Aggressively hostile places, though they can be pretty rich in ore.

A long time ago, I made the mistake on embarking in a haunted area with a river. I lost so many dwarves to the skeletal carp that dwell beneath.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Addamere posted:

Why, due west of a place called The Volcano of Torments.

Is it possible to send expeditions to other locations? Like, say, to send an expedition to Basesmined to retrieve the object for our vampire overlord Glorious King?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Is it possible to send expeditions to other locations? Like, say, to send an expedition to Basesmined to retrieve the object for our vampire overlord Glorious King?

spoilers!

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Being able to send out raids on other sites is in fact one of the big new features of the current version release! :eng101:

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

We know what must be done.

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006
As an ardent worshiper of Geshud and a loyal citizen of The Banded Diamonds I volunteer to lead a failed expedition to reclaim Guardshot!

FOR GOD AND GLORY!

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Maybe we should focus on, y'know, not loving dying here before we start thinking about planning ways to die in other places?

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006

Maybe we should focus on, y'know, not loving dying here before we start thinking about planning ways to die in other places?

Sounds to me like elf-talk. Maybe we should send you out to raid the elves so you can steal some more bad ideas :colbert:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Dorf me, Please.

Preferably as a male, but other than that, no preference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

It sounds like you're volunteering for expedition duty.