Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

PurpleXVI posted:

Is there a limit to what can become undead? Can you have an undead forgotten beast?

I assume so? We've had an undead dragon. Though none of our previous forgotten beasts seem to have come back, and we've had a few. Can't remember how they all went, some I think just wandered off, and some were cut to bits, and I guess lava took out the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.

PurpleXVI posted:

Is there a limit to what can become undead? Can you have an undead forgotten beast?

This I don't remember particularly, and if they can, we've been lucky so far to have all of our forgotten beasts out of the "undead range" as our map is only partially consumed with evil energy.

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

We've definitely had an undead forgotten beast. A zombie snake was swimming outside the tombs at the bottom layer.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Well, that would explain why we had problems getting everyone safely buried, wouldn't it...

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Histories of Valleysilences - Limestone 574

On the the 14th of Limestone , Omethu came to Valleysilences.

Accounts of the first sighting vary. Some say the towering web-slinging mite was first sighted by a visiting monster hunter. Others say it was a wandering clothier collecting webbing to make silk. It is unsure, as the beast would proceed to slay every living creature that crossed its path on arriving on the first cavern layer.

What is agreed upon, is that as soon as it emerged from the gloom, it made straight for the entrance to the fortress.

As chronicled elsewhere innumerable times in dwarfdom - beasts from the deep that spin webs are among the most prolific fortress killers of legend. Any living creature ensnared by such a beast is instantly unable to act, fight back, or run - death is inevitable. While they are not unassailable with the right preparation, Valleysilences was far from at full strength - our fighting core mostly hollow.

The first act of defence is a wall hastily planned to block off the main entrance from the cavern layer. It is the easiest possible chokepoint to stop the beast, though we must sacrifice access to our livestock and several farm plots. Any mutterings of cowardice are silenced as the sounds of the beast come closer.

Soon, pained cries are heard outside. It's believed a monster hunter, Noloc Abuthugan and the clothier Obok Lebesmafol are the first to die. Next it starts on the nearby farm animals, spewing webs left and right, chasing them down into pools which are soon crimson and murky with blood.

The beast's modus operandi seems to be to thoroughly web its prey before slowly throttling it to death - an almost uncannily sadistic approach for such a massive creature. Thus, some keen minded dwarves dared a shred of hope; if it took its time killing all the animals outside, and they managed to get the fort completely sealed by walls and hatches, they may yet live.

However, as seen when Dirt5o8 and later an elf corpse found its way into the fortress from falling down a random hole turned skylight, the fortress was not guaranteed to be airtight by closing off the main entryways. It was criss crossed with a messy warren of access tunnels, and speared through by lengthy stairwells that dropped deep down into the earth, sometimes joining fortress areas through the uncharted caves. Quickly the overseer must have cast about the blueprints of the fortress, trying to make sure all extra hatches were locked.

But hope is a luxury seldom allowed in Valleysilences. The wall is still not ready when the beast is disturbed from its slaughter of poultry by another monster hunter approaching. Rather than fight the armed soldier, it suddenly turns and bounds past the main entrance to the fort - and the animals - into the access tunnels to the south east, its eyes fixed upward. Here, in years past, a massive natural stalactite had been partially carved through.

Then it spread its thin wings (hitherto unnoticed by the defenders) and with a bounding leap, soared up into an innocuous hole in the ceiling of the cavern. From there, it was a short climb up a completely forgotten stairwell into the mining levels, and then just a little further up into the main well room of the fort.

We can only imagine the despair of the dwarves tasked with walling off the cavern. As though in mockery of their theories about trapping it, not only does it find its way handily into the heart of the fortress: the beast also displays its brutish strength - it flicks out a leg to crush the skull of PetraCore, the troubled child who had been standing by the well.

Then briefly descends again, perhaps to kill the soldier - reports of the fight are lost in the panic - buried by the constant reports of the zombie horde outside eating visitors. Content it has shown its hand, Omethu then pauses in the gore soaked stairwell.

The next few moments are critical. On the eve of deploying Valleysilence's weapons against the undead, it would be too cruel to lose the fortress now - the Overseer makes another gambit. More walls are planned, this time to block off the well room while Omethu broods below.

And all the military are called up. It's hoped one of the more experienced fighters could get lucky and come upon the creature unawares in the relatively confined space it now moved through. Or at the least, their sacrifice will allow the workers time to wall it in for good.

It does not go well.

Whether warrior or bystander, Axe Lord or recruit. Omethu cares not. The creature easily slays the best and brightest the fort has to offer, just as it slays idiot clothiers who appear to be converging on the area, trying to collect its webs as it spews them... whoever started the rumour a visitor was throwing expensive silk around has a lot to answer for.

Militia captain ziz goes down via the beasts normal mode of attack - strangled while webbed up tight.

Meanwhile the original wall planned to block off the cavern is only half complete. An insult to those dying above.

Every able bodied dwarf is drafted to use whatever materials to hand to throw up walls around Omethu.

Peo II is the next to give his life to buy us time... the militia are still marching bravely into the room in an effort to stall the creature.

And Rutile next.

The death of a highly trained dwarf in full adamantine brings a stark realisation: what force of arms we can still muster will do nothing. In fact, throwing military dwarves at the creature has only made it more unpredictable - it needs to remain in place for any hope to remain. The military are called off.

Still, too late for Neddy Seagoon II

However, with the trickle of military dwarves stopped, the beast seems to have settled into attempts to destroy the statues nearby. It does not seem to want to move too far from the stairwell that it came from - some foul nesting instinct. The overseer senses hope once more surely - now all that needs to be done is get the walls built, and forbid more foolish clothiers from trying to claim the precious, deadly silk coating their dead heroes.

(the two down arrows in the upper part of the pic are actually more moronic clothiers approaching :doh:)

And indeed, Omethu seems content in its new lair. It starts to topple statues to its liking, notably taking a long time to uproot any. It is clearly not overly strong, making its easy slaughter of Valleysilence's finest all the more insulting.

Hours turn to days, and the walls begin to form.

There are several hiccups - a few workers catch sight of the beast in its silken larder and run, meaning walls must be moved back.

But eventually, 8 days after its emergence, PurpleXVI puts the last section in place trapping the beast.

There are still some directions Omethu could break through, via tearing down locked door and going through and old dormitory for example. But judging by its difficulty knocking statues, the dwarves are confident they can reinforce with walls in time...

Time to breath, and take stock. The roll of honour also grows.

As well as newer recruit the yeti II, it's noted Haifisch, Rutile's erstwhile sparring partner and fellow adamantine hero, joined them in their journey to Geshud. Along with the noble Sankis. May they rest easier than they could in life.

Meanwhile the roll of poor decision making also grows: tildes is named as one of the clothiers that saught out the freshest possible forgotten beast silk, and paid the ultimate price.

It's also hoped no other possible escape for the beast is being overlooked - additional walls are planned around the openings to the mining level.

While finally, the fortress's now most pointless wall is also done, a mere half month too late.

The Goblin Drinkboss/Overseer IPA Regulations IV looked around as the sounds of hurried masonry, fighting, and dying subsided from the direction of the well room. Along with it, the flow dwarves bringing him reports of walls constructed and dwarves missing also ceased.

So this was it, he thought. The military was completely shattered - two squads are completely destroyed, the Reclusive Crypts and Tangles of Silver. Of the Laborious Shocks only Pharnakes is left and he is haggard and drawn - they are disbanded. And to top it all off, Rutile and Haifisch dying alongside Sankis meant that now almost all of the adamantine gear produced thus far in the fortress was lost: it was now being incorporated into Omethu's new lair behind the hastily erected walls.

Despair clutched at him.

But no! They were so close, so close to reclaiming the outside... they could not falter now due to some beast from below.

Then, a voice spake to him from the gloom of his depression... he felt the weight of it. Like heavy silver.

"Breach."

The dwarves nearby looked at him - it was the first word he'd spoken since the last wall went up. His eyes seemed a little glazed and he spoke as though in a trance.

"We shall not let this be our end. The Plan endures. All this preparation was not for nought. We shall breach through the outside, and fetch those foul elven cadavers, and our beloved kin that roam outside, into Geshud's grace".

He cast about, the glazed look leaving his eyes.

"Where is LPzie? Our baroness consort has been chosen for the honour of inaugurating the plan."

Sorry this took so long! I am genuinely going to try and power through to the end of my turn from now, if I can get back to my original pace I'd be very happy. Also with a new version out its probably time to put this fort out of its misery, though I don't want to be the one responsible for killing it all the same!

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 7, 2020

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

IPA Regulations posted:

Sorry this took so long! I am genuinely going to try and power through to the end of my turn from now, if I can get back to my original pace I'd be very happy. Also with a new version out its probably time to put this fort out of its misery, though I don't want to be the one responsible for killing it all the same!

No worries, these things take a hell of a long time to write.

I'm not really sure if we have to worry about putting this fort out of its misery- with a forgotten beast capable of killing our adamantine warriors appearing, I think the game finally decided to play its hand and put and end to this mess on its own terms.

If only that one military group would decide to return from Geshud-knows-where, we might stand a chance, but that's not bound to happen any time soon.

(I've already tried recovering them through DFHack, but they're thoroughly bugged out of the game world.)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
This is a pretty good way for the fortress to end, don't stress it

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Honestly this one's been running for over 2 years now, maybe we should start a new one

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

megane posted:

Honestly this one's been running for over 2 years now, maybe we should start a new one

Especially with the new version and all. It's a shame it kinda lost steam midway through - while I'm glad it picked back up I think most people kinda stopped following it at that point.

It has the knock on effect of trying to report on exactly who is doing what seem pointless sometimes since odds are the dwarf's poster isn't around anymore. It's more fun when it's someone still reading and you get a reaction or whatever.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I can't believe dwarf me did something useful. This is highly out of order.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I say we see what state everything's in once IPA's (awesome) turn finishes up, and then one more turn for whoever wants to play out the final act and bring it to a close. A lot of us are dead now, I'm sure someone on the overseer list is capable of writing out a fitting end for the last of us. Preferably involving something a bit more epic than a giant mite.

It would be a real shame to just let the thread die out without finishing off the saga, when we're so close to what seems like a natural end.

And then, yes, we should absolutely start a new fort with the new update.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Journal Entries of Drinkboss Zulban Ablegign, "IPA Regulations IV"

25th Limestone 574

I have done my best for the fort.

I built the means on their salvation from the predations of the dead outside.

I claimed the mighty Subtleshowers, the Erasure of Quieting.... hallowed be it hallowed be it hallowed be it

Now, at the close of this grim month full of death, we shall finally begin reap the rewards.

turol has the honour of linking the final mechanism of the first trap corridor. This drawbridge at the southern end will allow us to seal our bounty of the living dead from the hordes outside, that we may harvest their precious metals and socks before we feed them to the fires in peace.

When turol is done, the order is given to finally knock the outer wall through. For a moment it seems clockwork chaos, the accomplished miner, wishes to steal the 'honour' of the job from the troublesome baroness LPzie II.

He thinks better of it at the last moment.

Thankfully, it doesn't take LPzie too long to get the message. She takes a break from her busy schedule of tantrums to grab a pick and sets off for the corridor. I can't help but wonder what's going through her mind as she goes to knock through this fateful section of wall. Apprehension? Flattery?

If she made any pithy speeches while setting her pick to the stone, I was drat well not going to be around to hear them.

And then - just like that - the wall is gone. I'm told reliably that the Baroness consort and the zombies inhabiting the outer tunnel stare at each other for what feels like an eternity. I order the inner bridge lever pulled... the delay will still allow her time to get back in.

And then...

... she runs out amongst them.

What possessed her? Was life in the fortress really so... well, yes. I suppose I can understand.

Whatever her reasons, she is torn apart.

And so, the main event. Lets us see what we catch. The wretched corpses flood into the tunnel once they are done with LPzie, and the cage traps begin their work.

A few of the shambling corpses get blown into chunks crossing the weapon traps bristling with captured gear from previous sieges. Most satisfying.

They will probably be jammed by body parts. Not practical, but amusing.

And then, just like that. It's over. The tunnel is full, and the second bridge snaps shut - there really is quite the delay on those mechanisms.

Quite a few still-mobile corpses trapped inside there alongside those caged. It will probably be prudent to open the outer bridge to allow them out before we try collecting and resetting the traps. And while nice, we have hardly made a dent in the overall population of the dead creatures roaming outside.

And that little plan coincides nicely with the second, and greater endeavour... the lava corridor we have laboured on for months. Once that is set and opened, all the zombies should flow nicely back out towards the plain. I dare say we have learned how to work thee hordes as a fisherman knows the tides.

Some minor matters of house keeping to attend to first...

30th Limestone 574

I decided Gridlocked to be the new manager now that Rutile is slowly decaying in a walled off beast lair, with the first work orders to be signed being for slabs for the ex-manager and her fallen companions. The decision was weighted solely, once more, on the fact the dwarf does not look imminently suicidal, nor holds any other currently relevant skills.

Final preparations are rushed to prepare the long magma corridor to hopefully efficiently burn the rest of the invaders. There is just one mechanism left to put in place, that of the second hatch in the old magma tavern turned reservoir for the trap. It's designed to help fill the trap below faster, but it poses a problem - it can only be accessed when the other hatch is open. After finicking around for a few days, I grew impatient.

I'm under no illusions how long the morale or sanity of this fort is likely to hold any longer.

One hatch is enough, I thought. And, since we're filling it with magma, we might as well burn some of our enemies.

I order the outer bridge to the old tavern opened. PurpleXVI gets the lever...

...and then hatch leading up to the fort is unlocked. We wait, cautiously...

And sure enough the sentries report: the zombies come running. As I said... like fishermen on the tides. The horde is led by a particularly fast specimen. It enters the tavern first and is then stopped short by our locking of the inner hatch once more.

We have a look at it... appearing to be a human female cadaver by the size and gait, she also appears to be naked, save for a covering of vomit and blood. A true denizen of Valleysilences.

Well, the human siege was a few years ago now. Her clothes may have rotted off. Or she may be a visitor from before that even. No matter, I am sure there are some usable clothes on those others we caught...

Anyway. The hatch is locked, trapping her below. Then the bridge is closed, and the lava let loose. I take one last look at her before she is immolated.

And then... here is where things got a little tricky. In my enthusiasm, I ordered the hatch in the tavern floor, for filling the chamber below with magma, opened before the magma actually torched the trapped zombie (known to the dwarves as Engigiden, 'Flaxenpaddled'... I don't know either).

I wished to see if she held onto the self preservation to attempt to move away from the spreading pool of destruction. I thought all the hatches below were locked to mechanisms and therefore she would still be trapped within the lower reservoir.

But as it happened she in fact took the opportunity to bolt down the drainage and into the trap tunnel itself - one of the hatches was apparently forgotten to be connected, therefore free to move through. And she set upon this now clear path into the fort. Most vexing.

Well, the artifact bone hatch she was ultimately heading for to get into the fort proper was a long walk away by design anyway, and locked before she came anywhere near. The reservoir above her begins to fill with the blood of the mountain.

But now we have a large, fast and resilient interloper in our trap tunnel. We need to get Flaxenpaddled out before we can finish the trap hall, and finally breach to the outside to let her wretched kin in...

Do we take the safe route and contrive yet another cage trap tunnel to catch her? Or do we trust what is left of the military to take out this naked blood-caked corpse?

What say the dwarves of Valleysilences?

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 8, 2020

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Surely our brave fighters can take a single naked zombie. Faster than building more traps.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Facebook Aunt posted:

Surely our brave fighters can take a single naked zombie. Faster than building more traps.

This.

If it's a fast zombie it'll probably slaughter us anyways, but hell with it, at least we go down fighting if so. We don't have enough time to make cage traps, and that'd be a cowardly action in the face of our lost heroes.

(Thank Geshud that Rutile didn't go down within the resurrection zone- we probably would've all been taken out pretty fast.)

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Facebook Aunt posted:

Let's have some COURAGE!

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

rest in peace...

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Go get 'em, brave soldiers, says the guy with one leg, waving his crutch from the sidelines.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

The Flying Twybil posted:

If it's a fast zombie it'll probably slaughter us anyways, but hell with it, at least we go down fighting if so. We don't have enough time to make cage traps, and that'd be a cowardly action in the face of our lost heroes.

Agreed! We'll try to take her out the old fashioned way so.

FWIW I don't think she's an actual fast/husk zombie, so shouldn't have the super strength associated with that. She's just relatively intact and quite big compared to our warriors.

Also we have plenty of unnamed citizens and I know a lot of people have died - I'm also actually fully caught up with writing up game events and haven't played ahead so it's easier to track - who wants a redwarfing for this final leg?

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

IPA Regulations posted:

FWIW I don't think she's an actual fast/husk zombie, so shouldn't have the super strength associated with that. She's just relatively intact and quite big compared to our warriors.

True, I might be overestimating her power, but the more intact as a base zombie, usually the more difficult of a fight they are as they'll keep coming back. Size means a lot in this game's combat mechanics as well, meaning her limbs will be a bit harder to remove and she'll naturally hit a bit harder. Combat-wise, a moderately trained dwarf can usually do okay against humanoid undead in theory, but it's the fact that the undead never slow down is where the difficulty of the fight kicks in. Very quickly, dwarves with low endurance will get tired in combat, and that's when it gets bad.

(I like attacking necromancer towers in Adventure Mode, so I've spent a lot of time dealing with undead.)

Again, I'm probably overestimating her.

Do you mind posting her kill list when you get a chance? I'd like to see why she was given a name as having one can potentially mark a dangerous foe.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
FIGHT

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Ooh can we somehow lure the zombie to the horrible monster?

E: dwarf me please

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

(re?)Dwarf me for this final bit, please!

I'm some kind of sicko who loves watching fortresses slowly die and I'm eager to see how this one crumbles!

Ferrovanadium fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 8, 2020

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
So am I the only military dwarf left which means ya'll are volunteering me to go mano a mano with this thing?

Well, Geshud has no use for cowards. :black101:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
poo poo did Verbal 2 The Speardwarf die?

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Do you mind posting her kill list when you get a chance? I'd like to see why she was given a name as having one can potentially mark a dangerous foe.

Sure thing! I'll be back at it tomorrow probably.

verbal enema posted:

poo poo did Verbal 2 The Speardwarf die?

Not that I'm aware of, actually I'm not 100% sure verbal II got drafted to our military, despite being a professional soldier.

We still have a relatively intact and very inexperienced marksdwarf and hammer squad, I think they were saved by virtue of not having any training schedule assigned, so they went to go pick up their gear while the real soldiers marched dutifully to their death.

Another military shakeup is definitely on the cards.

Volmarias posted:

Ooh can we somehow lure the zombie to the horrible monster?

E: dwarf me please

I thought about this, and if we survive a couple months I might try lure Omethu into the lava corridor and/or the zombie riddled outside... Though the thought of an undead web slinging mite is not appealing either, so we'd have to be sure the bastard burns. Can a skeleton still shoot webs? We might find out.

Another option I thought of was to carve fortifications in the walls around it and try use the marksdwarf squad on it, but I'm not sure if flying beasts can get through fortifications... And even if they can't, it can definitely shoot webs through, so the marks dwarves would just get trapped until they starve to death...

Pharnakes posted:

Well, Geshud has no use for cowards. :black101:

That's the spirit! I think we might have need of your services yet, doc.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Carve fortifications and turn it into a silk farm like so: https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Silk_farming

As the ranking member of the military I can assure you there is no possible way for such a project to backfire.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Pharnakes posted:

Carve fortifications and turn it into a silk farm like so: https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Silk_farming

As the ranking member of the military I can assure you there is no possible way for such a project to backfire.

You could also keep it around as well for webbing other forgotten beasts. Any webbed creature can be caged. This way, you can cage a syndrome producing beast and use it to poison your weapons.

It's incredibly effective and totally safe. There's no chance in the world that a dwarf would get infected, no siree. No fort has ever fallen because of this patented strategy.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Sandstone 574

IPA Regulations IV, self-appointed Drinkboss of Valleysilences and Overseer of this volcanic hell, took a deep breath. When asked if traps or warriors were the answer, the answer from the dwarves had been clear: the fortress demanded blood. Now.

It was one of his more lucid moments - the influence of the demonic maul Subtleshowers had subsided to a dull tingling in his scalp, as he prepared to co-ordinate the militia to clear out the tunnels.

First things first: stop the flow of magma into the reservoir to allow the warriors access.

There are zombies loitering in the trench above the magma corridor, next to the old tavern. As seen already, there is a vertical shaft that drops from there, down past the trap corridor and reservoir, all the way into the mining levels.

Zombies, (and one insanely lucky dwarf) have gained entrance this way before - though they do not run eagerly toward it as they would an open ramp or stairway, it can be climbed (or fallen through). Thus, time is of the essence. The longer we take to clear the corridor and lure these zombies away from the shaft, the more likely one will scent prey and risk the tumble down it...

IPA Regulations issued the orders quickly. The surviving squads were in terrible condition, and needed reinforcements.

They would have them. There were several dwarves with prior military service not yet drafted. That was about to change.

If anyone reminded the goblin that HardHead has been a werepanther for several years, trapped in a deep dungeon behind a moat of lava, it changed nothing.

Once the assignments were made, he cleared his throat, and made what he thought sounded a fateful pronouncement.

"For Valleysilences and The Wise Path. In the name of Geshud, all squads report to the main hallway."

As the ragtag soldiers begin to arrive, they are ordered to wait at the artifact bone hatch leading down to the trap hall from the fortress proper.

Surely, with almost two full squads of not entirely untrained soldiers, killing a single naked zombie should be easy. and the location is far enough eastward from the pall that hangs over the land that no reanimation should be possible in the event of a fallen warrior.

Nevertheless, IPA looked around at the downtrodden, miserable wretches assembling around him and felt an unexplained wave of fear grip his bowels. The words rose in his mind unbidden, like the chiming of silver:

What

Could

Go

Wrong?

turol, militia captain of The Brave Pages stopped in front of the outcrop of smooth wall, standing out amongst the rough rock around it, and took one last look at the fortress around her. This far below the busy workshops and living quarters, it felt as though she was the only living thing for miles. In the dark, rough hewn expanse of the mining tunnels many levels below the mustering point above, she had finally found it: a nondescript upward stairwell, rising up against the smooth wall behind it, disappearing into the dark stone above. Her gaze lingered a moment on the length of corridor to the west, darkened by old gore, a dark shape lying within. Months prior, a shambling elf corpse had emerged into the fortress and murdered a miner - stratego II - and the dwarves had deduced it had come from the stairwell she stood before now. Nobody had even moved the corpse since then. She personally deeply valued introspection. She sighed, and not for the first time wondered if this was the right course of action.

She had come to the fortress in its early years, when it still rang with life and hope. She had a husband then. PhallicPhalanges, Geshud rest him. She valued merry-making and leisure time. She dreamed of creating a masterwork some day. The fortress had taken all of that. She had had 4 children. How many were still alive in the world, she wondered? She hoped they had fared better than those who came to this accursed place. She looked up at where the stairwell rose into the darkness. Ahead was uncertainty. Behind was only misery and death. She is brave in the face of imminent danger. She began to ascend, leaving the silent halls and the body of the miner behind.

She knew the hidden ways of the fortress better than most, having lived here the better part of a decade. Even better than the Overseer. The stairwell she had sought out linked not only to the maligned shaft up to the surface, but also to the drainage tunnels beneath where Flaxenpaddled the zombie currently brooded.

It's possible there were tears on her cheeks as she ascended the rough stair. Or possibly it was sweat. She wiped it away regardless, banishing doubts of her fitness for this task. She was 110 years old - past middle aged, among dwarves - and bedecked in heavy iron and copper armour as befitted a militia captain of Valleysilences, where the industry of war had been the only consistent one for years. The air was heavy with heat, growing warmer all the time. She was aware her journey was taking her into the living marrow of the volcano.

She also knew the militia was preparing to make their move far above her, but she disdained to wait any longer. She was a soldier. Her husband had been a soldier. She was quick to anger. The very idea that the dwarves of Valleysilences should cower from a single undead left a disgusting taste in her mouth. The Overseer was a coward, and she would show him as such.

She continued her journey up the lonely stair, past the grates designed to filter the trap outflow of usable weapons.

Her anger seemed to buoy her up the next few levels. Before she knew it, she had emerged into the drainage tunnel through the loose hatch at the top of the rough stair. She knew it was meant to be firmly closed, controlled by mechanisms like the others. It had been overlooked, just like the other hatch which the incompetent goblin they called Overseer had left open, allowing the zombie into the works in the first place. She spared a glance up to the open shaft above her, fancying she heard a shuffling noise. She hefted her finely wrought iron warhammer and braced her steel shield, feeling her adrenaline rise. But then all seemed quiet.

She turned and began to advance down the hallway, the blood pounding in her ears now. Just one level above her, she knew, Flaxenpaddled awaited. She could smell the heat of the magma leaking down nearby in the air. She knew one of the hatches up to the creature was as yet unlocked. Now was the time to strike, and show the fortress how true dwarves of The Wise Path deal with their foes...

She paused as a draught of colder air tickled the back of her neck, and heard the clap of something banging the hatch she'd come up through. Had she been followed? Vesh drat it! This was her kill - her destiny! She turned to give the would-be hero a piece of her mind, wondering which of the militia would have been foolhardy enough to do such a thing. But what she saw froze the words in her mouth. An elf corpse, pallid and rotten and unspeakably disfigured, shambled towards her from the way she'd come with unnerving speed and a hungry look in its dead eyes. By the time she saw it, it was almost on her.

"How?" she gulped, though knowing no-one living could hear.

All thoughts of fighting fled her in that moment, as the leering, partially exposed skull came at her through the darkness. This was not Flaxenpaddled. Somehow other zombies had gotten into the tunnels. How many more of them, she had no idea. The sight of that skull told her but one thing: there was no victory to be had here. Only death. The elf crashed into her raised shield and they went down with the grotesque sound of articulated, rotting meat hitting sturdy dwarven armour.

"I must withdraw!" she thought desperately, scrambling to her feet and beginning to run down the corridor, further on into the drainage system, away from the creature. Running by instinct to where she knew the unlocked hatch was.

"I must withdraw!" she thought again as she approached the corner ahead, barely registering that she also gave voice to the words. The elf zombie was right on her heels, close enough to rake her back with its foul fingernails. It charged again, and she stumbled - though she regained her feet quickly and scrambled on.

"I must withdraw!" she shrieked as she stumbled headlong around the corner toward the northern hatch, her terrified eyes fixed over her shoulder on her pursuer, so that she barely registered the drastic increase in heat and the strange crunch beneath her feet as her boots broke the surface of a shallow pool of magma spreading slowly down the ramp. She was brought to heel by the sudden, screaming heat all around her - but it was too late. The elf corpse crashed into her once more, bowling her forward.

A column of thick smoke suddenly choked the air, enveloping both dwarf and elf. It was lit from within by a bright, brief flame.

In another moment, the last echoes of the shrieking died off, and silence reigned.

Four floors up, gbuchold became aware - through the ineffable mysteries of dwarfdom - that a masterwork pair of copper boots of his had just been melted, and grumbled about it mildly.

IPA Regulations pressed his scrawny palm to his face gently as he listened to the report.

"How did she even get in there?" he asked, barely able to summon more than exasperation.

In truth it mattered little. There would need to be a thorough sweep of the entire structure of the hallway, to ensure no more hatch mechanisms had been forgotten to be installed. The fact that the hallway seemed to be unsecured both from the undead above AND suicidal dwarves below was just insult to injury. In either case, both the foolhardy militia captain and the zombie were now ash.

It was merely a sidenote in the continued comedy of errors unfolding before him. After the arrival of Spaced God, MercenaryNuker II and Loel, the artifact bone hatch had been solemnly unlocked with the expectation that Flaxenpaddled would surge up through it and battle joined.

Rather, the militia had simply standed around awkwardly for a day or two until someone pointed out the magma that had already leaked down into the trap corridor would prevent the zombie from reaching the militia, or vice versa.

Using the most colourful language he could muster, the Overseer ordered a glass wall he'd ordered built way back at the conception of the trap torn down to facilitate the milita's access to the reservoir tunnels.

The bard who arrives on the scene to dismantle the glass is subsequently rooted to the spot in horror at the sight of a ghostly hammerdwarf who drifts swiftly out of a nearby hatch, scaring the innards out of onlookers who momentarily think it is yet another infiltrating zombie.

The militia are ordered to move down to the area, just in case any more corporeal undead show up unexpectedly. MercenaryNuker, Spaced God and captain PurpleXVI are first on the scene.

With the bard still struggling to get the blocks down given the horrific images being projected into his mind of the dead dwarf, the Overseer takes some time to order slabs of the recently deceased.

The heroes of the Well Room Incident and Trap Hall Inauguration shall be remembered.

The names of the less exalted are set to be carved in a different workshop.

With the rest of the available backlog filled with other dwarves not necessarily of note, but worth remembering nonetheless, lest they turn up again and tear the legs off of useful dwarves.

Meanwhile, back at the glass wall into the magma reservoir, tFUCKINGmesis II and Foul Ole Ron show up to bolster the military waiting patiently in the hall while the bard gibbers quietly. Just then, he comes to his senses - and begins taking down the glass blocks. Suddenly, the way is clear.

Next, it's just a matter of pulling the levers to open the hatches, that will allow Flaxenpaddled down to them. There's a whirr and chunk of mechanisms above the heads of the militia.

But Flaxenpaddled doesn't need it! Rushing through the winding corridor ahead, she dives through the first drainage hatch at the planned entranceway - exposing yet another flaw in the design; another missed mechanism.

She crashes into the gathered militia, and - despite all the commotion leading to this moment - is quickly and efficiently put down. Under the weight of blows from the gathered hammerdwarves, she barely stood a chance. PurpleXVI claims the kill, lodging a rather crude bronze mace in the creatures skull.

Celebrations are shortlived as the Overseer is quickly reminded why even the most meagre threat must be considered seriously - Foul Ole Ron suffers a mental break, unable to handle being attacked by the zombie, despite the ease of the fight.

In an extra stroke of misfortune, he has chosen the reservoir tunnels to wander obliviously through. Hopefully he returns to reality before they need to be filled.

tFUCKINGmesis II takes arguably the more healthy approach to their trauma by beating the tar out of a passing scholar as soon as they get off duty.

And so as time marches on to the end of Sandstone, it seems the fortress earned a brief respite. A respite to do the same thing it's been doing for months; tighten up the mechanisms of the lava corridor, and place some more coffins and memorial slabs.

The heroes who stood against Omethu are all mostly memorialized just to the west of where the beast has been walled in. A row of slabs will serve the dual purpose of forcing marksdwarves stationed at the gatehouse fortifications to stand close enough to them to fire through. The idea of having dead heroes at your back, literally nudging you forward enough to be useful, is appealing to the Overseer.

Just at the close of the month, it's noticed that yet another zombie is descending the cursed shaft from the tavern trench. It's the first time one has been noticed actually making the descent. Disturbingly, it indeed appears to be climbing rather than falling.

Still, it's not too much cause for concern. The militia dealt with Flaxenpaddled handily. Surely this reanimated waif won't prove too much bother?

IPA calls up the squads, orders the hatches open, and gives the order to attack as the zombie lurches through the magma corridor, towards the fortress proper.

MercenaryNuker II is the first to engage... much to their dismay, zombie prove far tougher foes when faced alone. It quickly gets the upper hand after a punch leaves the militiadwarf half blinded, and blood begins to coat the walls of the tunnel as the zombie continues its beating, though MercenaryNuker's armour protects them from the worst of it.

(I messed up the framerate of my gif capture here somehow, hence the teleporting, but you get the idea)

They are saved by the arrival of their comrades, but left lying badly wounded amongst their own blood as the militia dissipates.

This time Neogeo scores the kill with her iron war hammer - the erstwhile farmer striking in the name of Valleysilences and her fallen comrades.

Though the militia are once again scarcely given time to celebrate, as a third zombie appears in the same tunnel, presumably also clawing down the shaft from above. The news distracts tFUCKINGmesis II from some random act of destruction, and startling the other dwarves in the area, including Gridlocked and Spaced God - both militia as well as some civilians on their way to put the finishing touches to the corridor itself.

It's over before it begins. PurpleXVI heads the corpse off close to where the last zombie was caught, and easily claims her next kill - despite being a reluctant soldier, she's shown quite the talent for it.

That would seem to be all the zombies that were loitering near the shaft accounted for... it remains a mystery why and how they found their way in such a manner, now of all moments. It's almost as though they can sense the near completion of the defense mechanisms. The zombies, or perhaps more chillingly, some controlling force behind them; decided to play all of its remaining cards. A chilling thought.

But with them put to their final rest, and all the mechanisms (hopefully) now in place, the fortress appears to be set for interesting times ahead in the month of Timber...

From the diary of Zulban Ablegigin, "IPA Regulations IV"

4th Timber, 574

Gods, what a month Sandstone was. I was a fool to think we had our fill of setbacks. But, what is one more month, when we have suffered so long.

Perhaps the incursions were a blessing. They revealed flaws in the designs which would be much more difficult to fix once they were full of magma.

I pray most fervently to any god that will listen. Timber is upon us. Let this month be the month that we deliver our enemies to Geshud, by the burning power of his blood.

That was a random as hell month. It took a while to figure out how turol got up into that tunnel, and also how the zombie that chased her into the magma got down. My attention was on the militia in the corridor of the main hallway, I only noticed the situation at the moment of that first picture of her in the tunnel, where the zombie was already chasing her through the reservoir. I hit record on the gif maker, only to have the most facepalm moment when they both ran straight into the magma. From there it was too good an event not to spend some time figuring it out, and writing up. I still have no idea why she was there from a game perspective, but I figured she had her reasons as a dwarf.

Also, sorry Ferrovanadium. After specifically saying that I was up to date with playing and writing, I promptly forgot to dwarf you until I was done playing. Here you are!

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 16, 2020

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Mental breaks are not unusual for me in this fortress. Am I dead?

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Mental breaks are not unusual for me in this fortress. Am I dead?

Not yet, but if you don't get your poo poo together and stop moping around that magma reservoir, we'll be walling you in there, I'm afraid!

And for Twybil, this was Flaxenpaddled's kill list. Rather underwhelming to be honest.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Well, at least while I'm being forced to be useful, I have a highly prestigious captaincy. I look forward to getting unceremoniously mangled to gore in the next battle now that I've made assumptions of invincibility.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

IPA Regulations posted:

Not yet, but if you don't get your poo poo together and stop moping around that magma reservoir, we'll be walling you in there, I'm afraid!

And for Twybil, this was Flaxenpaddled's kill list. Rather underwhelming to be honest.

One kill? Why the hell was it given a name for one kill?

Yeah, I definitely overestimated its power. I expected like, a bunch of human invaders on that list or something.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

IPA Regulations posted:

I'm bricking it.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I hope the scholar wasn't me. :(

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

HardDiskD posted:

I hope the scholar wasn't me. :(

Nope! I'm not sure who it was, but I do know it wasn't you, because one of the pics that didn't make the final cut was this:

As of early Sandstone, you're now a Human Naturalist, and appear as such in combat logs! Congratulations.

I may or may not know this because in the next update, you will (or won't!) in fact get the crap kicked out of you.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Even on its way out, this fort is just great :allears:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

One kill? Why the hell was it given a name for one kill?

If you need an entire fortress to hunt for you because you're just that menacing, I think you earned it.

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

Non-person entities usually get a name after a single kill. A fair number of our zombies got names after killing a single citizen.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
"I pray most fervently to any god that will listen. Timber is upon us. Let this month be the month that we deliver our enemies to Geshud, by the burning power of his blood." - Diary of IPA Regulations IV, 4th Timber, 574

"Dwarf proposes, Geshud disposes" - Proverb of The Wise Path

Histories of Valleysilences

Timber, 574

After a flurry of smaller battles against the undead in the outer tunnels of the fort, final preparations were made to finally utilize the magma tunnel, so long laboured over by the dwarves of The Wise Path - those fateful few who clung to life in Valleysilences.

The glass wall, torn down last month, is replaced. If the fortress should ever survive past this year, it was planned to extend this trap hall into a grand corridor capable of accepting (or rejecting, with magma) trade caravans. This window would provide an eerie glow to remind inbound traders to behave or face the consequences.

The entranceway to the trap tunnel, once planned to be breached near the northern foot of the colossus, is instead extended away to the south and west, as the main body of motile zombies has migrated that way in recent months.

The main horde shifts around and splits constantly, assimilating visitors in gory fashion as soon as they arrive, but those watching from the battlements assure that the main groups can be found in that general direction.

The trap itself is reset, now that all the mechanisms are in place. Doubtless those writing the records of such things are touching one of the few scraps of wood available to them while making such a bold claim.

Omethu has grown quiet behind the walls of the well room. It's believed he found his way into an old barracks room and nested down. He doesn't seem inclined to find his way any deeper into the fortress...

... though there is still a narrow chance - if the beast went back the way it came, down the well shaft and back into the cavern layer, it could approach through the farms again. Taking no chances, a short tunnel is planned to reach the end of the well shaft Omethu entered the fortress through, and walls are ordered to plug the gaps from below, bottling the infernal mite for us to deal with at our leisure. Hopefully.

The order is given for the trap reservoir to start being filled again, dropping magma in from the nigh full trap tavern.

With a low thunk audible through the wall, the hatch set in the old tavern floor thunks open, and spills magma down into the reservoir, where the remains of Flaxenpaddled lie where they fell.

9th Timber

A prelude. At least I get to see ONE enemy of the fortress burn this month. I watch the lava creep over Flaxenpaddled's rotten corpse, and the brutish thing seems to roll over one more time before flaring to ash.

Good riddance.

The pressure released in the magma tubes is mirrored by the mounting pressure in dwarven psyches. Pharnakes is finding it difficult to adjust to civilian life, while LSD at the Gangbang is afflicted similarly by the stresses of the fortress.

Of course in dwarven culture, not all psychological issues are unproductive. There are reports of a bard entering a few mood, and claiming a magma forge. The prospect of a possible new artifact weapon or armour kit is exciting.

Meanwhile however, the stress of leadership seems like it may have finally cracked IPA Regulations. The Goblin Overseer is reportedly seen near the well-appointed jail cells near the main halls, attempting to fight those nearby. Apparently inspired by TheCog's take on justice, though far more ineffectual.

The reports coincide with the artifact maul Dazganu Utosm Slosax - Subtleshowers, The Erasure of Quieting - being removed from its plinth in the main entryway.

And contemporary records show that the goblin also assigned himself to the defunct militia squad, the Tangles of Silver...

10th Timber

All fails. All shall crumble. I am surrounded by incompetence.

(droplets of blood stain the parchment here)

I thought watching Flaxenpaddled burn would mean the end of delays for the Plan. But nay. Now, it appears, we are stymied by a simple piece of mudstone, left jamming open a critical magma-safe door in the drainage system.

More than 20 days ago the order was given to dump it, but nobody has yet responded, and when asked it seems the task itself is getting cancelled and forgotten about. Do they mock me?

If it can't be moved, the magma will flow through and destroy the hatches behind, and flood the mining levels.

Enough. Subtleshowers - hallowed be it - demands action....

Records show IPA began to wear the raiment of war in this time, clad in the hodge podge of iron and copper equipment that is the hallmark of the rank and file soldier of Valleysilences.

Additionally, he registered himself as a wielder of mauls.

For whatever reason, HardDiskD II seems to be the object of his annoyance - he corners the naturalist near the jails, and gives him a light beating - twisting his ear as if in a somewhat paternal scolding.

Luckily for HardDiskD and the unnamed bard IPA crosses path with a few days later, he has not yet managed to pick up Subtleshowers.

Even with records - badly scrawled, barely legible records - showing he tried to assign it to himself explicitly by name, it appears as though it is too mighty a weapon for him to wield.

??th Timber

I... can't. I failed...

Elsewhere during this time, dwarves worked on minor improvements to the magmaflow to the reservoir - improvements which did not include removing the famous piece of mudstone from the doorway which triggered IPA's rampage.

It seems his rage knows no bounds, thought it's mostly contained to the justice system, for whatever reason.

The flow improvement scheme for the magma starts from the upper workshop level...

Piercing down into the large column separating the magma pipes from previous projects.

FInally, a channel is planned down between the bottom most pipes, allowing increased flow into the tavern, and ultimately the reservoir.

Black Robe has the honour of channeling that last area down into the magma, and manages to do it without burning to death.

RBA Starblade II gives into madness mid-month. Perhaps this piece of immovable mudstone is too much a reminder of the corpse grate from months past.

And she's not the only one. On the 20th of the month, it's still there. The dump order gets periodically cancelled with no reason given, and reapplied. It was also tried to designate a mudstone stockpile a few urists away, to no effect.

The door itself has been ordered to be deconstructed at this point, as apparently dwarves are more inclined to clear fresh building sites than clear the space of existing doors.

On the plus side, the bard that entered the fey mood creates an adamantine armor stand. Not a weapon or armour piece, but still valuable. Behold!

Edodnural Tinan Nekut - Boredblind, the Sneer of Secrets.

Fantastically light despite its ornate detailings; it is worth more than many of the other artifacts in the fortress combined.

It shall take pride of place in a main hallway that all may marvel at the continued genius of those who dwell in Valleysilences.

In contrast, our new memorial slab arrangement on the other side of the gate house from the recently finished memorial garden to Omethu's victims is testimony to the fleetingness of life here.

These memorials were mostly found in storage and are almost all of dwarves not long lived enough to get a nickname - it may be interesting to check in once they are placed to see when and how these souls departed.

Of course, there are always those few who wish to dampen such happy(ish) moments. HardDiskD II is overwhelmed by an episode of remembered horror, possibly about his scolding from the Overseer, possibly from the horrific visions of death that assault just about every citizen daily. Who can say?

Foul Ole Ron also lashes out violently - a first for him. On the plus side, he is no longer in the magma drainage system.

tFUCKINGmesis II has also been up to their old tricks, this time attacking Dirt5o8. It's a testament to the newly appointed leader of The Brave Pages that despite her old injuries sustained falling down the shaft, she easily out manouvers the attacking butcher.

It's beginning to look like tFUCKINGmesis is volunteering to breach the magma trap tunnel to the zombie-ridden surface.

On that topic, Cpt. Viking and geri_khan have been widening the last leg of the famous corridor, as it was noted the magma was taking a long time to dissipate from a single urist wide space when dealing with Flaxenpaddled previously. As no outlets were planned in this area, it should allow for faster resets of the trap without needing to drain the reservoir again.

And in the final days of the month, someone FINALLY has removed and then reinstalled the magma safe door in the drainage system, and it now closes properly.

An auspicious time to reach adulthood to be sure. Commander Keene has all grown up, while Gridlocked churns out statues of dwarves (despite the Overseer's request for statues of Geshud, for another, as yet to be unveiled project).

It's noticed at around exactly the same time - the end of the month - that a second door lower down in the system is not magma safe.

The Overseer can not be reached for comment. Many in the tavern whisper of seeing him wandering forlornly through the halls, his crooked goblin nose dripping blood, mumbling about failure.

Between his bouts of rage where he attempts to beat up citizens and destroy the jails, that is.

It's unilaterally decided not to wait another month to replace the door. The trap is ready now. The reservoir is all but full.

In any case, the door should not be in the direct path of magma - it's designed only to prevent errant splashes of the molten rock from injuring dwarves who happen to be passing the maintenance stairwell. The likelihood of catastrophic failure and maimings is minimal relatively speaking, from this particular angle.

Winter falls.

The trap is (finally) ready. All that is left, is to find which brave soul(s) will be volunteered to breach to the outside, and perhaps even fight a rearguard to delay the faster zombies, ensuring the fortress burns the maximum amount of undead on the first firing.

Though in no mood to speak his mind on the subject, IPA Regulations IV doubtless had his own thoughts about who should go...

1st Moonstone

... tFUCKINGmesis II, the persistently quarrelsome butcher/militiadwarf, springs to mind... then of course there's Foul Ole Ron, who recently snapped and lashed out... yes. Either would do... failures. Failures, they are...

... As I am...

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I cannot wait for the magma to somehow burn out the fortress due to an accidental oversight while "improving" it