Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.

GruntMountain posted:

Non-person entities usually get a name after a single kill. A fair number of our zombies got names after killing a single citizen.

Huh. I guess I'm just used to names being given after multiple kills since I usually don't play in evil biomes. I learned something today, I guess!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

IPA Regulations posted:

Black Robe has the honour of channeling that last area down into the magma, and manages to do it without burning to death.

:toot:

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Timber...... Unkown

(the page is grubby and covered in stains, they appear to be from tears) ".

Iiiii was...

I was doing so well!!!!! I had no more dreams I was happy. I WAS HAPPY....

The dreams came back. THEY CAME BACK. IT CAME BACK.

it came back and told me to burn it all. I didn't listen of course, it lies, it always lies. They are angry with me.

They sent me and others to kill one of the obvious ones, they call them zombies... They are blind fools, the one thing IT didn't lie about.

I got separated when one of the "zombies" attacked. I got lost. The supervisor. He got angry with me.

I tried to relax, to plant, to take my medicine. But IT KEPT TALKING TO ME.... I couldn't stop screaming, they know about the voices now.

It says they plan to burn me alive for my sins. That they know now. That they Hate me.

It whispers that I can save myself. That all I have to do is free its trapped severant near barracks.... I scream inside now for it to shut up.

God's help me, IT won't STOP.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Have I somehow managed to never have a tantrum or depressive episode in this fort? Hell yeah. MVD.

turol
Jul 31, 2017
Well, that was a thing.

:supaburn:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

RBA Starblade II gives into madness mid-month. Perhaps this piece of immovable mudstone is too much a reminder of the corpse grate from months past.

I feel too much! I feel too much!

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

turol posted:

Well, that was a thing.

:supaburn:

Really one of the weirder things I've seen while playing.

I had no idea how or why you got in there,. I just happened to be scrolling past, and there you were in the supposedly locked tunnel, a zombie just about to come around the corner after you.

Eventually figured out the how, still not sure on the why 🤔

I think the answer is just: dwarfs

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Histories of Valleysilences

Moonstone 574

An overview of the fortress at the beginning of this most auspicious month:

While the fortress has been sealed from the outside world (barring one or two brief incidents) for the best part of a year, the dwarves have worked diligently on ways to scour the undead from outside without resorting to fighting - now a necessity since almost all the fort's warriors lie dead, cocooned by a towering web-slinging mite named Omethu which made its nest in the main well room.

The first trap completed -  a long hallway full of cages, worked reasonably well. However, the main project - a large magma trap hall, took much longer to complete. Finally, it is ready. A narrow muddy stairway followed by a long hall way snakes upward towards the surface, ready to bring the undead down into the winding halls below once a final ramp is carved up.

However, while final preparations are made for the breach, it comes to the attention of the dwarves that a diverse group of visitors has once again collected at the summit of the volcano - close to where a little while prior, the dwarves had dug out to. A set of locked stone doors leads on to a long flight of stairs up to the ashen plateau where the visitors - a naked elf troupe and some dwarf and human scholars mostly - bide their time among the corpses and bodily fluids of the previous rescue attempt.

Therefore, the plan is amended slightly... as the chosen 'volunteer' breaches to the zombie ridden outside from the trap hallway, to simultaneously unlock the doors near the summit. It's hoped the zombies will gravitate to the closer entrance, while the visitors will take their chance and run in the summit entrance unmolested.

Two critical areas. A single slip-up could spell the end of Valleysilences. There is little military to speak of, no backup plan.

It was time to roll the dice...

Anonymous eyewitness account - Moonstone, 574

The Overseer has not made sense in several days. It falls to me to chronicle the first attempted firing of the magma hall laboured on so long by The Wise Path here at Valleysilences.

There is no illusion as to the likelihood of survival for the one chosen to breach to the outside from the trap. The way back is long by design, and it's well known how fast the dead outside move at this stage. 

Therefore only the most troublesome souls are left with mining duties for this particular task.

The order is given -  its unclear if the overseer threw in his lot as penance for recent actions, or a misplaced sense of importance.

Now all that remains is to see who among those dwarves wants to be free of the fortress the most.

As a side note, we also open the outer entrance of the cage corridor - there are still uncaged zombies lurking within, which we need to let back outside so we can begin collecting those wretched zombies we caught and see what valuables they may have had.

It's a tense wait. In fact, it takes 4 days for a dwarf to take up the fateful pick. But in the end, it is tFUCKINGmesis II who answers the call.

A butcher who could not stand the sight of death, she was a complicated soul, no doubt. In tattered clothes yet wearing a crown of silver on her brow, we watched her descend to the tunnel.

And get to work.

She shall be remembered.

Just as the first shafts of sunlight fall across her face (doubtless causing horrific nausea), and the first snarls of the living dead come to her ears, the order is given to unlock the doors at the summit.

Back at the trap tunnel, the massive and rapid influx of undead has trampled tFUCKINGmesis into the dirt and begun ingress. There seems to be a traffic situation as some of them want to head back out.

Meanwhile, things have not gone well at the summit. It appears some of the more mobile zombies noticed the doors being unlocked, or perhaps the movement of the visitors, and attacked.

Not a pretty sight.

However, one or two of the naked elves managed to get in - while a scholar who has been cooped up in the fort for gods know how long leaves.

Looking back on the plains and all is not well. In fact, it seems the main horde of zombies, which had been piling satisfyingly into the trap tunnel, has vacated and is running up towards the volcano slope.

Perhaps they were enticed away by the screams of those dying on top of the volcano - but those in the fortress longer than I whisper otherwise. They say the zombies are more aware of the world around them than any mortal can be - that they sensed the upper doors opening, and an easier path.

Either way, a disaster. Well, for those living creatures on top of the volcano at the very least. We order the door locked, and it does the trick. The zombies begin to gravitate towards the tunnel again, though it seems less enthusiastically than before. Most troublesome.

Nevertheless, the trap tunnel itself gets its first (intentional) visitors. 

Note the other scholar, once more trying to leave. He soon changes his mind on sight of the undead coming towards him.

However, he is not the only one to be seduced by the idea of a way out of Valleysilences. Despite the best efforts of those in charge to forbid all items of possible interest outside, Araganzar has decided to try his luck, and come into the tunnel.

Not only that, he's followed by TheCog, who may be wishing to enact punishment on his stupidity.

And idrenhur, the troubled smith.

Agranzar is free to leave (this mortal coil, even) if he wishes - but we can't afford to lose those other dwarves. A strict burrow is enforced, fortress wide.

Thankfully, all 3 citizens heed the call, and retreat back inside before the zombies catch sight of them. The closest ones are still around the corner, busy taking apart the foolhardy scholar that tried to leave ahead of them.

After allowing the zombies to come as far through the tunnel as we dare, the hatch to the fortress is locked. As we've seen before - the lead zombie, a lithe looking elven cadaver - stops in its tracks. The ones behind take a little longer to lose momentum. An eerie silence prevails. 

I wonder if they are aware of the heat above them.

It is finally time. The lever to close the magma proofed bridges is pulled first.

We take a moment to take stock of our catch. About 15 zombies reside in the trap. We would have done far better if not for the botched attempt to open the summit doors at the same time. We live and learn.

There are a few named creatures among the collection of dead creatures, and every civilisation is represented - elf, dwarf, human and goblin. And one familiar face...

...the cadaver of Volmarias II, now known as Weaknesscall the Thrower of Planes. Doubtless earned from slaying the sadistic elves who ended their life earlier in the year.

We say our final goodbyes to the valiant dead, and foolish invader alike.

It is time.

deathbagel II does the honours.

With a whirr and clunk, the hatches above the heads of the captive dead open, and delivers them unto Geshud.

Glorious.

It takes a little longer to reach the corpses on the east end of the hall, a design overlook perhaps. But as it touches each one in succession, they flash to flame in a pall of rotten flesh smoke. 

Beautiful.

Most stay stock still while the magma creeps towards their feet. Some seem to sense the end coming and panic, for want of a better word, running back and forth in the little space available.

It makes no difference. There is nowhere to go.

It's not long before the final pair are incinerated.

The relief in the fortress is palpable. For months - years, even! - we have suffered and hidden. 

It was all worth it! Right...? The plan worked!

Well, for those of us inside. Those we tried to rescue on the summit are all dead by now.

It cannot be helped. Time for the next stage - it's the 15th of Moonstone, and Nine of Eight flips the next lever in the trap sequence - that to drain the magma.

While an auspiciously named entertainment troupe 'The Molten Parity' arrives somewhere on the surface and the visitors who perished on top of the summit are accounted for.

I hope the troupe somehow survives long enough to get inside, perhaps next time we fire the corridor we shall clear them a path.

For now, drainage begins. The lower hatches open, and the magma level begins to subside, finding its new path downward.

A few items can be seen flowing down through the heat haze - hopefully some valuable armour that will be salvaged from the grate below.

The flow also annihilates a couple of wheelbarrows somebody thoughtlessly left in the tunnel.

Meanwhile, orders finally arrive from the top... it seems the Overseer has regained his senses - and reassigned jobs to the miners...

Oh, and another fire-related troupe 'The Windy Incineration' arrives on the 18th. Surely this can mean only good things? We're overdue new entertainment here.

Though in reality, they likely won't fare better than the dwarf scholar we saw running west after arriving around the same time ...

... such things are barely even remarked on after so many months. Just part and parcel of life here.

From the diary of Zulban 'IPA Regulations IV', Drinkboss of Valleysilences.

30th Moonstone

Fools. They celebrate their minor victories. But we have only just begun.

We must harvest what we can from the caged wretches in the outer halls. Though I'm not sure now if they have anything worth stripping from them. To that end, I've closed the outer and opened the inner door to allow them to be collected.

Either way, I wanted those dead things we captured to face a fitting end. So I had built an area where we can array them, under the watchful eyes of Geshud, to be stripped of valuables.

Then flung into his embrace, in the open magma pipe 2 levels below.

From there, their wretched remains will be excreted from a fitting place.

Things continue to get worse in here. May the great Maul forgive me... I did not have the strength. Dwarves no longer seem willing to report crimes, no matter how many people I beat. Previously calm dwarves lash out, like habituallyred.

While Foul Ole Ron gives Zack Ater II a severe beating.

I know what bothers them... 

Apart from my failure to wield the great Subtleshowers hallowed be it...

For how can a fortress be at peace while playing host to a monster that laid low its mightiest warriors? How can we rest easy, knowing our adamantine rests in the clutches of a mindless beast, but a walls breadth away from us?

We cannot.

Masonry provided us a respite from Omethu.

Now it will provide us a permanent solution.

ubrexit ukip it II starts the dig...

... the plan was laid weeks ago, but not started until now. For in fact, Omethu has not moved in a month or more.

Plans are in motion.

Come next month, we shall drop a piece of the mountain on the beast - and take back what is ours!

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Feb 29, 2020

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

IPA Regulations posted:

Come next month, we shall drop a piece of the mountain on the beast - and take back what is ours!

:yeshaha:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I really can't wait to see how this one goes.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

IPA Regulations posted:

This is the definitive way to solve everything in this game. Sure, atom smashers do a good job, but nothing can resist the incredible weight of soil or stone.

This is a suitably dwarfy solution. The spirit of a deranged 80 year old human mercenary gives you his approval.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Love to see the lava dick repurposed like this. :five:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Unusual* problems require creative solutions.

*unusual in other places, at least.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

So Math posted:

Love to see the lava dick repurposed like this. :five:

I was looking for a nice place to add the prisoners to the volcano when the idea came. Too good to pass up!

Couple of side notes: I think most of the zombies are actually naked - at least the ones I looked at in the magma tunnel were. Maybe all their clothes fall off when they die? Or got destroyed from months of gnawing on each other? Not sure.

I'm not sure how you can view inventory of a creature in a cage. We do have that human maceman who was captured years ago (he's pictured in the gif on the left), but my attempts to strip him seemed to be fruitless - I was following the wiki guide to claim, then dump all items on the tile, then un-dump the cage but nothing happened. It might be because his cage was constructed rather than in a stockpile, so I've set up a stockpile by the pit for the other prisoners.

Also one thing I forgot to include...

Guard's Log 22nd Moonstone

As it turns out, not everyone on the summit was quite dead.

A hammerdwarf crests the blackened peak to find two elven zombies, one busy beating a badly wounded scholar in a puddle of its own entrails and scholar vomit.

The dwarf quickly puts an end to the two unnatural creatures, saving the scholars life.

Despite this grim welcome, they seem intent to stay... perhaps they sense our plight?

I will recommend to the Overseer we make some effort to get this warrior inside...

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I mean, where else are they gonna go, there are zombies everywhere.

Valleysilences: it's maybe slightly better to be inside pissing (lava) out, than outside pissing (yourself because of zombies)

this statement brought to you by the surviving members of the valleysilences tourist board

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

valleysilences more like lavasilences am i right

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

HardDiskD posted:

valleysilences more like lavasilences am i right

:keke:

Another thing I forgot to mention, you are very unhappy since I beat you up last month. You threw a tantrum, and when I checked on you you were still in the jail cell where IPA smacked you around.

I don't know if you're serving a term or just claimed it as a bedroom. I'll check in next game time. There have been no recent crimes reported (I'm not sure why given all the beatings and fights)

We also still have more dwarves than ever going into depressive episodes etc, just it's tedious to screenshot every one amidst all the other stuff going on.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Considering the state of everything the jail is probably the safest place.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I don't know about that, or has the cog finally got a wooden weapon now?

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Pharnakes posted:

I don't know about that, or has the cog finally got a wooden weapon now?

She did, a wooden crossbow

I noticed she also picked up some steel bolts though, so I still wouldn't mess with her

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Histories of Valleysilences - Opal 574

The year marches on - snow falls outside on the cursed, zombie strewn wastes of the Volcano of Torments while within the dwarves prepare to offer tribute to Geshud via torching the undead elves and former comrades they have captured in previous months.

The fortress is in dire need of a morale boost - many have been stricken with mental afflictions due to the horrendous stresses the year long siege and repeated deaths of all they love have inflicted.

Ex-military dwarf Pharnakes is reportedly standing on top of the skylight commissioned by some long dead Overseer, too addled to even puke from the exposure to sunlight.

While the current military half-heartedly attend a striking demonstration from Spaced God. Attending are MercenaryNuker II (now out of hospital for his gouged eye), Foul Ole Ron (having narrowly avoided a fatal mining job last month), accomplished soldier Purple XVI and NiftyBottle II. Most are showing the hallmarks of Valleysilences - a mismatch of equipment and gaunt, haunted looks borne of many sleepless nights and screaming nightmares.

To that end, it was decided to make an attempt at finishing Omethu, the towering web slinging mite who casually bested the fort's greatest warriors in the Autumn. 

CptViking is putting the finishing touches on the designated area - nicknamed 'Geshud's Grace' in the parlance of the fort - when she gets herself stuck in the bottom of the dig.

She's soon out however after a little rearrangement of orders.

She wastes no time then expanding the area where soon the cages of zombie prisoners shall be emptied into the phallic lava flow to the front gate. The area has been affectionately nicknamed 'Geshud's Gallbladder'.

As the dwarves seemed reluctant  to haul the cages of snarling undead to the stockpile designated up there, the Overseer instead decided to build the cages in rows around the pit. This may or may not prevent the dwarves from stripping/disarming the prisoners, but since most of the zombies roaming outside seem to be naked, it may be these cadavers have nothing  worth stripping anyway. 

This approach got things moving and the cages are hauled to location from the trap hall.

Back at Geshud's Grace, just about all the parts are in place. A single support suspending the raw block carved from the mountain, linked to a fateful lever near the entry stair, and the remaining floors carved away by Black Robe and clockwork chaos.

It's around this time that the first of the executions on the undead prisoners is carried out over at Geshud's Gallbladder. Naturally, they were a resounding success, though official reports are somewhat spotty and inconsistent....

Letter of Sinur Drummedfish - Opal, 574.

Dearest wife. I hope this letter finds you well.

It is just over a year since I arrived here at Valleysilences, on the back of our nation's siege of this dwarven stronghold.

I believed, and believe still, these are noble creatures are worthy of civil contact. Despite their transgressions against us in the name of literature.

All the same, they seem destined to drive themselves to extinction - by war, undeath, fire, and incursions of horrific creatures from their reckless deep delvings in the cursed volcano.

Our hosts treat us as well as we can expect given the circumstances. We sleep on a rough stone floor in an old barracks, where on occasion the few dwarf warriors left in the fort will come and spar, heedless of whether we sleep or not. Occasionally our presence will irk a citizen enough that we will be beaten. 

I suspect if there were any way out of the fortress bar death, my companions would have left long ago. It may yet be that we shall all leave this way.

But I digress. Through cunning the dwarves managed to capture some specimens of the dead things roaming outside. The Overseer, being of cruel mind and small stature (even among dwarves), wished them thrown into a symbolic magma flow as spectacle - within sight of one of our own captured soldiers. 

I shudder to think of this man's plight... and yet he knew the risks in attacking this place, as I did visiting. Neither of us can rue our circumstance, nor in honesty, change it.

But if the Overseer demanded spectacle, he received more than bargained for - as whatever be committed to the histories, here now read the truth of it:

The first two creatures to be burned were a pair of undead dwarves. Though not native to the fort in life, their presence was no doubt the source of greatest unease for the dwarves.

It was a dwarven bard named Minkot who volunteered for the duty to throw the creature into the molten rock. A self proclaimed comedian, perhaps she thought the retelling would bring some smiles in the increasingly grim drunken evenings in the halls here. 

Oft we have heard of the dangers of handling prisoners and escapes during attempted executions like this one. However, she approached the cage confidently.

She grabbed and shoved the dwarven corpse - in life named Momuz - down the 2 level open pit into the magma with one motion. Success.

It burns most merrily, creating a plume of foul smoke.

And the fort breathes a sigh  of relief. Orders are given for the other dwarf undead, along with some of the elves, to be burned.

They are hurriedly cancelled on investigating the strange increase in smoke in the room a day later.

And discovering that Momuz's flaming corpse has climbed out of the pit.

And was observed running around, splashing its burning innards across the other floor and cages.

It does this for a full 2 days before eventually collapsing to an inanimate heap. It still burns however, choking the entire room with smoke.

But at least the hubris of this method of dealing with the undead had not hurt anyone ... yet. The greatest folly was yet to come...

Histories of Valleysilences - Opal 574 cont'd

Despite the unfettered success of the first executions the fortress' desire for revenge was not yet satiated. Omethu yet lived. 

And given the mixed successes of engineering projects thus far in the reign of IPA Regulations, there was a certain anxiety around the pulling of this fateful lever.  What if the stone missed, or the cursed beast moved or dodged away at the last moment? By the middle of the month, all the mechanisms and dig works were completed.

With its wings, it could easily move vertically into the newly created hole and once again wreak havok in the fortress proper...

Fittingly, despite all the soldiers loitering in the area, it is clockwork chaos the miner that approaches the lever to disengage the support after digging out the final rock strut from Geshud's Grace...

Omethu squatted in its doorway, as it had for months. It had enjoyed its little foray into the upper levels of this strange volcano, far from its deep home, where these curious little creatures had made their funny little nests.

Even the strongest of them, clad all in the glittering blue they had pulled up from the deep places, had bothered it scarcely more than the feeble insect people it was accustomed to feeding on in the darkness. Ichor dripped from some dents in its forelimbs -  but in time, they would heal good as new. 

The towering mite shifted a little as the sounds of scraping and tinkling metal seemed to echo overhead - then relaxed again as the sound subsided.

For untold aeons it had roamed the deep places before ever humans, dwarves or even elves awakened and took their first ignorant steps on the cold bright surface. But it had grown tired of the same old hunting grounds and, drawn by the heat and far off sounds and scents of strange industries, found its way to this place of smooth bored halls and soft, rich little creatures.

It had been easy. It had been fun. Just like its usual prey, the dwarves of Valleysilences were defenceless when plastered in the thick webbing it spewed so easily. It had found only dead ends once it was done toying with the dwarves sent against it near the well. But no matter. This was its home now. Omethu's lair. It shivered with obscene pride, webbing dripping from its spinners.

But there - again. The sound from above. Of metals on stone. Louder than before. Omethu raised its forelegs and pressed its monstrous face close to the source, in the ceiling. But just as it did, the sound disappeared again, seeming to retreat upwards.
Omethu relaxed. After all, what had it to fear?

Then, the world collapsed.

After the dust cleared, where once there was a doorway, bracing one of the most ferocious enemies Valleysilences had yet faced, there was now just a section of rough cave wall.

Letter of Sinur Drummedfish cont'd

... folly indeed. Even though behind closed walls and via more cunning mechanisms, we heard that the Forgotten Beast Omethu was crushed, and there was great jubilation for a day or so as the walls hastily erected around the well room were torn down and precious equipment retrieved....

... followed by return to (emotional) sobriety as the bodies of the slain are started to be recovered from the webbing of the creature.

But the dying was not done. For through some monumental misunderstanding, a citizen uncaged the second zombie which was previously designated to be burned, though the orders were supposedly cancelled - and allowed it to escape onto the stairwell leading from the execution chamber...

The fort scrambled to respond to a loose zombie, spurred on by choice words and blows of encouragement from their Overseer.

After a struggle, it kills the closest bard on the stairwell , then descends. Doors are quickly locked on all levels, however there is no such safe guard for the lower farm levels, where the zombie then emerges, scattering the livestock.

It also finds the child Captainicus. It charges, and the child bravely holds their ground - perhaps concerned for the animals stampeding around. However they're soon badly wounded by the creature. 

The child falls, and the ghastly thing strides atop it and begins busily tearing the child apart.

On this grisly scene, TheCog enters. Had the child still been alive, for once in her career as Captain of the Guard TheCog may have felt what it is like for dwarves to be grateful for her showing up. Rounding the corner into the farms, she sights the creature through her judicial crossbow and begins launching bolt after steel bolt at it, simultaneously charging the creature. 

Another adult dwarf is next to enter the fray - it is none other than Fumbles, the legendary engraver. Unfortunately they don't fare much better than the child. TheCog takes a wound to her hand, momentarily letting up in her attack. This allows the creature - now known as Wetdabbled - to round on Fumbles, quickly dispatching the artist. It buys TheCog time to find her mettle once more, and she begins attacking again.

Unfortunately it proves tougher that any of the living dwarves she's beaten to death. She takes some more light wounds before MercenaryNuker II and Foul Ole Ron show up with some heavier weapons, and the three of them surround the creature and beat it to a pulp.

Fumbles and young Captainicus join the ranks of the valiant dead. 

Letter of Sinur Drummedfish cont'd

... and yes you may remember Fumbles as the fellow that got a kick out of carving dead humans on the floor of the guest bedrooms. I cannot say I'm sorry to hear he died, though gruesome carvings aside, such a luxuriously appointed room is still far beyond my wildest dreams in this place.

As of writing, I hear the fires on the Gallbladder around Momuz's corpse have finally died down.

The Overseer seems intent to cover the extent of his folly, yet continue to use the chamber... I am not fooled.

But I must away, as there appears to be a lull in the training schedule of the warriors (likely they are busy hauling corpses to the newly placed coffins), that I might catch a few hours sleep without being trampled on. 

Your faithfully,

Sinur.

Histories of Valleysilences - Opal 574

... the closing of the month shows that despite the apparent success of the Gallbladder, a sequence of green glass and obsidian hatches is installed over the pit, possibly to prevent choking on the foul smoke the burning corpses billow up. No doubt speeding future executions greatly.

Then, apart from some careless dwarves getting themselves caught in the remains of Omethu's webs during the cleanup operation, there is little to report...

... apart from another extension to the tunnels near the summit carved by u brexit ukip it II:

With the aim of getting the two visiting soldiers up there inside in time without attracting any of the undead menace.

And of course, the ever present need for coffins - this time, re-purposing the room Omethu was crushed in seems appropriate.

Thus closes the second to last month of the Overseership of IPA Regulations IV - whether the fortress itself would live past his reign yet hung in the balance.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Mar 10, 2020

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I am legitimately surprised that Omethu was dispatched successfully.

And I giggled like a madman when the burning zombie escaped. How the hell.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

PurpleXVI posted:

I am legitimately surprised that Omethu was dispatched successfully.

And I giggled like a madman when the burning zombie escaped. How the hell.

Me too, on both counts. Though on seeing Momuz climb out and run around on fire my first reaction was more me going 'what the gently caress' out loud at like 2am.

It's actually fairly lucky he didn't decide to walk down to the fortress like the other zombie while on fire...

Anyway, is there anybody interested in being Overseer? Valleysilences needs you!

Don't be fooled by the piles of ash and bones outside, or the wandering corpses of entertainers and peddlers.

We've got magma. We've got regular petitions for residency from supposedly sane visitors. We've got functional ways of mass disposal of zombies (don't ask why we need them) that could doubtless be improved.

I'm asking because while I think I can tie my narrative off I don't think a worthy end to the fort will present itself within 30 dwarf days.

Did you hear that, RNG gods?

I said I don't think ANYTHING can happen that will threaten the fort now.

:smuggo:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Huh weird sounds like a "siege" just rolled up and enhanced the zombies numbers.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

IPA Regulations posted:

Then, apart from some careless dwarves getting themselves caught in the remains of Omethu's webs during the cleanup operation, there is little to report...

That's what happens when patients don't watch where they're going and show up for treatment covered in Geshud-knows-what :colbert: Webs are not covered on anyone's insurance.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

IPA Regulations posted:

Anyway, is there anybody interested in being Overseer? Valleysilences needs you!

I wish I could get past the UI and help out. :(

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

HardDiskD posted:

I wish I could get past the UI and help out. :(

It's never been very user friendly and that makes it rather obtuse at first- the learning curve is more of a cliff, really. Once you've gotten most of it figured out, it doesn't take too long to get a hold on things for the most part. But, drat, it's not easy trying to remember how to do each and every little thing.

DF's always lacked a comprehensive but easy to understand tutorial that really lays out everything in front of you. The wiki can help most of the time, which is why it's perpetually open in a tab when I go to play. I mean, I'd write a tutorial LP or something for this game, but I'm really no expert at it- I could only teach so much, and I haven't played in a long while so I'd have to refresh myself on a lot of things. Just one year of this fort taught me a hell of a lot of things I hadn't known in trial by fire magma, even if all I really had a chance to do was damage control. I'll be honest in saying most of my time with the game is adventure mode and modding the files.

I'd volunteer for picking up the reins if I wasn't so behind on my other LP already. I just wanted to see this mess hit past the New Years, and we've well accomplished that at this point.

For anyone who does pick up as overseer,
this might help you out.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 13, 2020

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

a lot of free time is coming up.... for everyone!

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Lpzie posted:

a lot of free time is coming up.... for everyone!

Come back and save us, toddler despot. Valleysilences needs a strong hand

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Flying Twybil posted:

But, drat, it's not easy trying to remember how to do each and every little thing.

Nobody actually remembers. Just after a while your fingers start to move without having to check the wiki first.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Histories of Valleysilences - Obsidian 574

The final month of the Drinkboss' leadership would be a busy one. The goblin is said to once again have appeared around the fortress, his countenance grimmer than ever and his tantrums frequent. 

The cleanup of the well room was half done, signified by the lack of corpses and webbing and increase in traumatised hauler bringing corpses of revered soldiers and loved ones to their final rest.

As is dwarven tradition, the bodies had been picked clean of desirable items long before being interred in coffins. IPA, along with the remaining soldiers had procured some of the precious adamantine gear recovered from Omethu's lair.

Additionally, he began to keep company with two human bards in the fortress - Tamed and Ammen. This pair, though rather old for humans, were somewhat unique having been granted full citizenship of Valleysilences and thus eligble for military service.

They join the militia the Tangles of Silver, composing of them and the Overseer, and begin collecting gear on strict orders from the goblin. Also joining them is Pharnakes - the traumatised speardwarf who was the sole survivor of the previous squad.

A cynical dwarf may have been worried at this apparent move of power consolidation by a soon-to-be-retiring leader, especially with unfounded rumours that his recent attempts at burning captured zombies had gone awry. IPA however managed to soothe such fears with grace and charisma: ordering the dwarves to burn more zombies. All of them, actually.

IPA woke up on the cold stone floor. Blood dripped from his nose as the concerned faces of dwarves peered at him through the gloom. His mind was on the verge of snapping, or had snapped long ago. He could no longer tell.

He still regularly found himself walking to the stockpile where Subtleshowers the Erasure of Quieting was stored, attempting to lift it, failing, then blacking out.  That is when dwarves would find the overseer, wailing and gnashing his teeth in a tantrum on the floor beside the ominous demon-forged silver maul.

But now, he had a plan. One final plan. He reflected that a years worth of toil had led him to this moment. He had the plan. And he had the tools he needed, almost. The only thing uncertain was if he had the time. That would remain to be seen. It was the only thing he needed - time, and to keep these damned dwarves busy. He looked at the faces around him. 

'The hatches in the Gallbladder are in place?'

'Yes, Overseer, but...'

'Good. The zombies we have there. Burn them all.'

He ignored the slight grimace on the attending dwarves face, as suddenly a thought occurred to him.

'And the cage trap corridor. It has been reset, yes? We will have space for more prisoners very soon.'

Part of the plan required there to be as few zombies outside as possible. The cage traps were something they could use to thin the herd outside immediately. There were still over 100 undead creatures swarming the plains outside, at the last count.

The magma hall would need some work before it could be tried again - it still had residual magma puddles blocking its winding pathway.

So: while the zombies burned in the gallbladder, they'd try to replenish their stock of said zombies. Perfect. Efficient. 

'Tell the militias to assemble at the cage trap hall. I want no mistakes.'

TheCog sat in the beautifully appointed tavern, listening to a story and easing the pain of her recent hand wounds when the shouted orders began to ring around her. 

Doors to be locked. Levers pulled. Stone mechanisms grinding and the tramping footsteps of armoured feet as soldiers ran to the front of the fortress.

The mechanical grinding ceased and there was the low, distant thunk of a thick stone portal opening to the outside world.

TheCog stood up and weighed her options. She'd not received orders like the other soldiers, but she was Captain of the Guard. Surely whatever was going on, she would be a part?

Besides, things had been depressingly quiet recently. For whatever reason, nobody had been reporting crimes recently, so there was a serious lack of fatal beatings to dole out. The bards in the tavern were whispering that whatever was going on, was on the Overseer's direct orders.

She hefted her bronze crossbow - a little heavier than the regulation wooden one, yet nobody had stopped her grabbing it from the stockpile - and started striding purposefully towards the commotion at the front of the fort.

In an unassuming stockpile near the front of the fortress there stood an unusual silver door which would seem out of place in any fortress not so exceedingly unusual as this one. It was here the rally point was set for what passed as Valleysilences military. The Brave Pages and the Fists of Geshud had begun to assemble, to safeguard the coming operation.

MercenaryNuker II considered the dwarves at his side. On his right, by the smell of it, was Foul Ole Ron. The dwarf seemed on the verge of a breakdown despite adequately assisting in putting down Wetdabbled the escaped zombie along with him and TheCog last month. And to his left, he dared a glance at Dirt5o8 - that hardy old revenant who had survived an 8 storey fall from the zombie infested wastes outside and lived to tell of it - well, not tell exactly, as her tongue had exploded along with the mangling of the rest of her features on meeting the hard unforgiving cavern floor. Pretty much every dwarf who had seen combat was injured in some way; but few had survived such trauma as her. And as captain of the venerable squad The Brave Pages, she commanded respect.

MercenaryNuker II considered his own list of achievements. His first action against the zombie Flaxenpaddled that had infiltrated the magma drains had been so successful, he had decided to take the next zombie to infiltrate the trap hall alone. That had cost him an eye - and, in his mind - the respect of his fellow dwarves. He had taken a savage beating, and the barely trained farmer Neogeo had killed the zombie and saved his life. Humiliating. Compared to the captain of his own squad; Purple XVI of the Fists of Geshud with her many undead kills, he had little to brag about.

There was a thunk as the silver door in front of him unlocked. They all knew the drill. They were to stay put; doubtless the horde outside was now aware and streaming down into the trap hall.

Two more militiadwarves arrived. Mercenarynuker II felt he had a lot to prove.

And in this, of all places. It was here in front of this very silver door that Brother Buer, the renowned warrior and former captain of Valleysilences himself had sallied forth and single handedly brought death to an half a siege worth of elves.

He felt a breeze go past him. Dirt5o8, that tough old crone, had just strode past him and gone out through the door. He was stunned for a moment, then he felt eyes burning into his back, and the judgement from all sides increase tenfold.

Inside, Dirt5o8 had already rounded the first corner; past the horrifically mutilated elf corpses jammed in the weapons traps. At the end of this corridor, a sprung cage trap with something inside. She gritted her teeth. There was supposed to be more of them than this. She moved on, meaning to round the next corner. However, she suddenly found quite enough zombies for her taste, as a massive horde suddenly spilled into view. Before she can even brace to fight, a rotten fist smashed into her already ruined mouth, scattering her few intact teeth across the narrow hall. She raises her iron war hammer. 

'I have a part in this' she thinks, remembering her narrow escape from the clutches of the undead previously.

'There is no need to feel vengeful' echoes in her mind as she starts to swing, breaking limbs and skulls as she walks backwards, cages slamming shut on her pursuers with every step.

Back in the stockpile, the other militia dwarves share some glances with each other as the sounds of fighting start to filter back through the door. Apart from Mercenarynuker shifting uncomfortably, nobody else had moved since Dirt5o8 went out the door.

Suddenly, another dwarf was among them. TheCog had arrived from the stairs just behind them, her head amulets staring them all down as she strode through them. Sensing something is amiss while Mercenarynuker stood hesitating and staring at the door, the Captain of the Guard blows past him and plunges straight down the hallway towards the sound of fighting.

THAT got the attention of the Overseer. Whether he had some soft spot for the Captain of the Guard due to her efficient dispensing of justice, or it was just the thought of losing yet another fighting dwarf. Alerts and orders are quickly drafted in an attempt to force her back down the hall. 

It works - just as she is two paces away from rounding the corner and joining Dirt5o8  in her futile fight.

Meanwhile, Dirt5o8 has been doing suprisingly well in her fighting retreat. Though wounded, every step back takes takes another enemy out of the fight and into a cage. However, there is no shortage of zombies piling into the tunnel.

And she's tired. Eventually unable to force away the grasping hands anymore, the zombies pull away her armour piece by piece to get at the flesh beneath.

Seeing TheCog emerge from the hallway unscathed, and the sounds of battle dimming from the tunnel, was enough to push Mercenarynuker II. Despite the orders and burrows in place, he barges through the silver door in search of Dirt5o8 - or glory.  At least, that will be the official story. In reality, he was probably looking for a sock somewhere outside or just an escape from this fortress.  He is almost immediately set upon by the zombies which have by now finished with Dirt5o8 and almost reached the door.

It is locked fast behind him, and the Overseer himself appears briefly on the stairs to dismiss the other gathered militiadwarves. The lever is also pulled to close the outer bridge.

The outer bridge finally snaps shut as the mechanisms respond, trapping any of the remaining uncaged zombies in the tunnel.

From the Journal of IPA Regulations IV Drinkboss and Maul Warden of Valleysilences.  

5th Obsidian, 574.

A true warrior's end for two steadfast militiadwarves - and by their sacrifice, a lot more captured zombies. This shall ease the final stages of the Plan considerably. Why is it they waited until my very final days here to make themselves worthwhile...? I may never know. In all honesty, I barely care.

And yes, imagined reader - or future self - indeed. This date is not in error. It is only 5 days into the month. And such a long way to go yet...

But hark, I must away. TheCog arrives at my door, bless her heart, with word of how the mass executions went over at the Gallbladder... naught but a day after I pulled her away from going to her certain doom in the cage hall.

She says the fighting during the burnings was not so bad... wait... fighting?

So it seems I'm like actually unable to be concise while writing stuff but in my defense a LOT happened this month. So I thought I'd post it in parts to make it easier and the waiting less, because it's already long enough and I was nowhere near the end.

I took so many gifs and editing them is a bit of a pain, but also was interesting to learn(again). What are people's opinions on them btw? Worth it? Makes things clearer/more obscure? Could be used more sparingly?

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 17, 2020

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I like the gifs.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I like the gifs as well.

Also that is an alarming amount of zombie tigers.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I like pictures. I don't think anyone has ever complained about too many pictures.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I like how I started out requesting "I want to be as useless as possible" and have somehow ended up being a valued part of the militia that's survived longer than most of the other starter dwarves.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I like the gifs too. For someone that struggles reading the images, they're much clearer than the pictures alone.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Good, I'm glad. It's difficult enough to know what's going on while playing sometimes, so it's hard to gauge how easy it is to discern from pictures or short, looping gifs.

I originally wanted to put more arrows and labels on things in still images and I did so for a few, but got frustrated trying to figure out why ShareX wasn't saving my edits, instead uploading the basic image. Eventually I gave up. Turns out I was pressing the wrong button.

So that's an option now too.

Also, I realised I messed up and forgot to include Tamed and Ammen's bios, and also showed them joining the wrong squad. Which also includes Pharnakes My bad. It's edited now:

quote:

They join the militia the Tangles of Silver, composing of them and the Overseer, and begin collecting gear on strict orders from the goblin. Also joining them is Pharnakes - the traumatised speardwarf who was the sole survivor of the previous squad.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
IPA Regulations hurried along after TheCog, his short legs carrying him as fast as the unfamiliar armours he wore would allow. Soon enough, they reached the underside of the hatches that led up to Geshud's Gallbladder. Small puffs of smoke escaped down through the locked hatches into the stairwell - the room above must be once again full of smoke.

After she had been saved from her attempted cage hall heroics, TheCog had proceeded directly to the execution room to help with the burnings. And, as it had happened, in fighting some of the flaming zombies which had crawled back up through the row of safety hatches covering the pit.

There were at least 2 still active in the room.

As it turns out, the hatches had not been locked as was recommended to prevent such occurences. A lesson for future burnings.

But on the plus side, it seems most of the cages were emptied with no casualties, and several elves were currently being rendered into ash and grease to flow out the urinary tract of the mountain. And the burning corpses currently running around in the room should collapse and die permanaently soon enough.

TheCog also relayed that the arrival of the two new warrior dwarves from outside had helped in controlling the escaped flaming corpses, before ascending the stairs and leaving the Overseer alone to ponder.

'Outside dwarfs... in here? That means...'

Realization dawned suddenly. Last month preparations were made to dig a new secret entrance to the fortress from the summit, to allow two capable looking visiting warriors entrance. The plan was to open the stairway to them at the same time as opening the trap halls below, to distract the zombie horde, and lock things down again afterwards ASAP. However, this part of the plan was forgotten with the commotion caused by Dirt5o8, Mercenarynuker and TheCog. 

The miners did not get the memo that the breakthrough should be postponed however - and had dug out the final stairway to reach the outside.

It is sheer luck that the cage trap corridor was opened just before this anyway, and trapped the fastest zombies there. Otherwise this entrance would have been swarmed by the horde, while the military stationed at the opposite end of the fortress.

And so this remote tunnel in the uppermost section of the fortress was now quite busy, with first the warriors coming in then an exchange of bards and entertainers - incoming ones which have been hiding in nooks and crannies of the volcano face for months, such as this old chamber dug out in years past as some grand plan to harness the volcano as a weapon:

And outgoing ones who have been stuck in the fortress far too long for their liking.

And among them all, TheCog can be found, striding purposefully out of the fort once more.

Alarms are raised at once - the fortress has been essentially open to being overrun for ddays, and still could be at any moment. With strict burrows set, most start to return to the inner fortress - except for TheCog.

Neither burrow, nor civilian alert, nor squad order nor any other force available to the Overseer would dissuade TheCog this time. And crucially, she had already passed the last set of lockable doors and begun the ascent to the surface.

It's as though she was filled with some higher purpose. Though what it may have been, we shall never know.

She draws the attention of a couple of the roaming dead not far from the chamber where some of the visiting bards had been hiding.

That bronze crossbow she managed to get hold of finally gets some use - thankfully not on any citizen.

But there is no shortage of zombies outside. She manages to fight her way into that same old dig site in the face of the volcano caldera, lined with magma floodgates and infested with various zombified species. Exhausted, she struggles to fight off the human corpse attacking her, while a dead tiger and goblin entertainer look on through dull lifeless eyes.

The fight is a foregone conclusion - no matter if she puts this zombie down or not, she cannot take them all. 

There's no time for sentiment though. Back at the new stairwell, the first of the zombies has finally reached the outer tunnel.

The doors are locked, sealing TheCog's fate, and that of one idiotic bard who remained just outside the doors despite the alerts.

Gay Hitler has a breakdown just behind the doors, despite the obvious evidence that things could in fact be worse (he could be that bard).

The Overseer turns his attention elsewhere, perhaps a little sadly.

While the drama has been unfolding near the top of the volcano, plans long postponed to improve the magma hallway are put in motion. 

The tunnel winding down from the main entrance hall of the fortress, past a green glass wall holding back the reservoir of magma is to be extended down:

And extensive changes wrought on the trap itself:

The original idea was to have this entrance wide enough for wagons, but making everything 3 urists wide will also allow the trap to be reset much faster, far less likely to be blocked by the residual magma puddles for long after a burning and draining cycle.

More miners are drafted to get the job done, as it doesn't seem likely there's enough time to finish before the end of the month...

Checking back in on the Gallbladder, it seems as though the corpses have indeed collapsed back to lifelessness and are no longer on fire. Additionally, the rest of the cages seem to have been emptied. Success!

While up here, it seems appropriate to check on TheCog. The old dwarf is still alive, exhausted but still fending off the same human zombie.

There's not a lot that can be done for her... except perhaps one thing.

She's fighting that zombie in what appears to be part of an old magma project by some long expired Overseer. If the lever controlling the project can be found, she can at least be spared the indignity of undeath.

It takes quite a bit of searching, and on the way some very odd hidden chambers are found, with threads of raw adamantine stored but unworked:

A boon for the next Overseer. There is no time now. 

Eventually,  a likely candidate for the lever is found - one of a pair in a well appointed room which had been repurposed as a memorial slab carving workshop.

It's pulled, and the Overseer makes a note to check back in.

Meanwhile Black Robe, Cpt.Viking and clockwork chaos make a start on the changes to the magma tunnel.

Elsewhere in the fortress, another human has petitioned for citizenship - this one is called Udir. He's an accomplished marksman:

But also a dancer. He's quickly rostered to be added to the Overseer's personal guard, the Tangles of Silver.

Dwarves may have been beginning to question why the overseer was gathering all these gangly humans to himself - mostly entertainers, at that. Perhaps he just had a taste for exotic music and stories. 

But there was one more addition to the squad, that raised questions of its own...

Foul Ole Ron had been causing no end of trouble in the fortress recently. From a brawl in the tavern with Optimus_Rhyme II and Drakenel II:

To constant tantrums:

To rampant destruction of property:

To the absolute final straw, abusing a stray cat which crossed his path:

Dwarves had had enough, and the Overseer decided the unstable soldier needed a closer eye kept... he joins the Tangles, with Udir.

Diary of IPA Regulations IV, Maul Warden of Valleysilences - 16th Obsidian 574.

Finally a month of mostly good news. No fatalities from the burning zombies, and the miners are making much better progress on the magma hall than I expected. Getting it finished, or at least ready for use again before the end of the month is critical if I'm to escape this place intact. The horde outside must be thinned at all costs.

Now that the fires are out in the Gallbladder, it's safe to go in and clean up. However, bizarrely, there have still been dwarves going in and out despite the locked hatches leading there. It may be something to do with the type of stairs carved between the hatches... 

Dwarves were seen to approach, appear to cross the locked hatch somehow, catch sight of the burning zombies, and then run away. And now, even after the zombies are gone, dwarves are ocaasionally appearing in there, complaining of thirst and hunger.

All very vexing.

In any case, I order the now empty cages taken down in order to make way for future tributes to the god of fortresses.

Another mistake: somebody forgot to lock the maintenance door of the lower part of the gallbladder, and a burning elf corpse hauled itself out and lay there, luckily not getting any farther. It's ordered dumped and then the door can be locked.

Checking back on the magma trap, and the miners have truly outdone themselves. It will be ready in mere days.
It's truly a joy to watch those dwarves work. 

At some point, a bard enters a fey mood. I cannot bring myself to get too excited about what this entertainer will consider a worthy artifact, but we shall see.

And more good news - the levers we pulled were the right ones, it seems. The floodgate at the top of the mountain is open:

And magma is cascading down the carved gully...

... exactly where it needs to go. It's already dealt burning a stray zombie which had wandered into the chamber to the east.

TheCog may be dead already, but we'll make sure her remains are treated the way she would have wanted: surrounded with the burning visages of our enemies.

The date is almost upon us. I must get ready to leave, lest my Overseerhip end and the next one try to stop me. All the pieces are now in place. The trap is ready:

And I ask my human 'friends' to assemble their gear and join me at the summit, above the gallbladder, ready to leave.

Some might question why not take more proven warriors with me, and why two elderly human bards... well, the truth of it is simple, and it is not for a love of their music or conversational skills, whatever I told them.

No, it is rather that the big bastards can actually lift the exalted maul Subtleshowers hallowed be it.

(Dasgaxu Ubosm Slosax is the native name for the maul)

These humans, plus whatever soldier dwarves can be spared and will be least missed by the fortress I intend to leave behind... these will be my companions. A motley collection. But enough for the task at hand. Despite our best efforts, I know there is likely to be fighting before we are clear.

The zombie 'Waddledims' lingers just outside our intended exit, having already brutalised the foolish bard that stayed there too long lamenting TheCog's terminal bravery.

I make one more masterful meal, that these poor uncouth dwarves may remember their Drinkboss fondly.

And then, all the pieces are indeed in place. I put the orders out. It's time to leave.

It's worth noting that while the cages have been emptied into the gallbladder successfully, the dwarves did not burn the human maceman who was captive. It seemed too cruel. 

Rather, he has simply been sitting in his cage, as he had already done down in the caverns for several years before being hauled up to the execution chamber.  Watching the undead being thrown into the magma one by one, and occasionally watching them crawling out again and running around on fire.

Histories of Valleysilences - Obsidian 574 (closing pages).

... thus, adequately explaining why flaming zombie corpses were reported so regularly. It was simply a shared hallucination of mentally unsound outsiders, aggravated by foreign bards inflaming unfounded rumours. And not any error of the Overseer.

Just past the half way point of the month, the improved magma hall was officially ready to be fired again.

With additional bridges built and hooked to levers to contain the system, it was expected to be adequate to burn whatever zombies remained outside. The reservoir had also been extended and a new magma delivery chute created on the eastern end of the hall to make for faster coverage.

u brexit u kip it II digs out the extension from above, allowing magma to spill out over to the new area, poised to fill the trap corridor beneath.

While the Overseer was busy gathering his companions, the dwarves awaited his signal so that they could open the trap hall at the same time as he made his exit, hopefully distracting the hordes outside (as was previously planned with getting the visiting warrior dwarves inside).

Yet 4 days after the muster is announced - and only 8 days left in the Overseership - there is still nobody assembled at the meeting point. 

While this must have concerned the Overseer, the rest of the Plan could not wait. Levers are pulled, and hatches unlocked-  first, the levers controlling the thick magmaproof bridges bookending the trap hall.

One to open the entryway leading out to the plains:

And one new one to close the bridge for the wagon sized inner entryway:

At the last moment, it's noticed Evil Fluffy has been trapped in the drainage system, and furthermore the drain from the new magma chute is not connected to the rest of the tunnels. Luckily, they still have their pick, solving two problems at once. Or, at least one. It still seems like they might get cooked down there.

Diary of IPA Regulations -  22nd 25th 28th (!!) Obsidian
(hastily scribbled)

I was at wits end.

A dwarf stuck in the drain, again. At least they could make themselves useful this time. We could not spare time to get them out however. See you in the next life, Evil Fluffy.

At some point that bard finished hiler artifact. My disappointment actually exceeded expectations.

Also I was told told one of the miners has decided the middle of the magma hall is the perfect place for a nap. Nobody will go in there to wake u brexit ukip it II. They chose this.

We had to fire fire the trap, there was no more time. All dwarves are ordered into the deeper parts of the fort lest any more heroics, stupidity or stupid heroics bleed the population even further.

The inner hatches are unlocked, the zombies come in, and ubrexit ukip it pays the ultimate price for his laziness.

Then, unexpectedly, I have a member of my bloody Tangles show up in the tunnel - Foul Ole Ron.

I can't even begin to process how many direct orders he is ignoring to do this. He charges down the corridor and begins to fight with the nearest zombie. Then, to make things worse, Ammen turns up afterwards, following him.

Is this open mutiny?

No, there must be some other explanation.

I relay a quick order for my companions to assemble below the Gallbladder, rather than above it in the exit corridor as before. And suddenly, Ammen turns around.

It's too late for Foul Ole Ron though, who passes out  briefly from exhaustion, sealing his fate.

There don't seem to be any additional zombies incoming. Just 3, plus Foul Ole Ron. The rest must be busy out on the plains tearing apart some visitors. So be it. Light 'em up.

Very efficiently done. Time to drain the trap for the next Overseer. Geshud help them, and Geshud help Evil Fluffy...

Ah, they got out. I guess there was that door on the other end of the drain hallway... er yes, of course. We knew that. Well then, congratulations - every day is a gift from here on, Evil Fluffy!

The fact both Foul Ole Ron AND Ammen attempted to leave via the trap hall made me think there is no clear way up to the exit I had planned. This explains the thirsty dwarves appearing in the Gallbladder also - they must be the bards from above, unable to easily get down. 

The same stairwell that connects the Gallbladder chamber to the rest of the fort also leads up to the exit. At some point an upward stair was inadvertantly removed apparently. Idiocy. And in no part my fault!!  (Historian's note - it was definitely his fault)

A new stair is ordered and hastily dug.

A small cadre of thirsty and hungry visitors shamble past Pharnakes, Ammed and I as we ascend the new stair and finally make it to the staging point with just two days left of my term as Overseer.

But, blast it, where is Tamed? He wields the Great Maul Subtleshowers! We cannot leave without him!!

... Storing a sock on the lower levels. Of course.

He arrives on the very day my tenure ends. Perhaps he just wanted to make me sweat, knowing he holds the maul. Bastard.

Nevertheless, I finally can reveal to my party our destination:

Basesmined - what was once our neighbourhood Necromancer tower now rumoured to be ruled by dwarves. 

I will ascertain the truth of this. For Subtleshowers Valleysilences!

And thus, on the stroke of midnight of the 28th Obsidian, the goblin known as IPA Regulations IV - Drinkboss, self-proclaimed Maul Warden and the Auspicious 13th Overseer of Valleysilences at the Volcano of Torments, crosses the threshold of that cursed hell pit - companions in tow, never to return (?), leaving only a singular crumpled note next to the door for the next soul to take up the mantle:

'You'll be wanting to lock this door after us!'

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 18, 2020

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
I died as I lived, insanely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I gotta admit, I can never tell when these fuckups are the AI throwing a cog, the interface being too obscure for a normal human to parse or the overseer actually screwing up commands.