Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Everyone is bad at it. Winning is so unthinkable that Toady hasn't even programed in victory conditions yet.

Pretty much this. You cannot defeat Armok, for the underlying god of Dwarf Fortress- the world will move on in its own way, usually either towards the Age of Goblin (severely high goblin population), Twilight Age (10% of world is fantasy creatures, like dwarves, while the rest is mundane), or Age of Death where all civilized creatures are dead.

Speaking of ages, worth noting is also the Age of Emptiness, where no civilized creatures have survived and each group failed to prosper in any way and died in obscurity. It's basically depressing Pangaea.

...Although, some people would argue that flooding the entire map with 7/7 lava is a win condition. Same goes for the destruction of all elves/goblins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Journal Entries of Drinkboss Zulban Ablegign, "IPA Regulations IV"

1st Malachite 574

Three hallowed dwarven titles get passed down to new owners for the month of Malachite. stratego II, a proficient miner and apparent recent arrival (you can tell by how he treats death and corpses as anything worth remarking on):

u brexit ukip it II, a dwarf who doesn't seem to be bearing up well at the moment:

And Drakenel II, a name bestowed on a human axe woman who arrived at the fort this year. She appears to be somewhat enamoured with dwarven culture, as I am. Though her background as a treasure hunter could hint at ulterior motives...

We shall be watching.

4th Malachite 574

The humans who visit whisper about our ways, but they cannot understand. This is necessary. We need Order here. But nevertheless.... while I applaud TheCog's spirit, we also need less dead bodies (of citizens, at least). Therefore I have tried to convince her she would execute her duties that much more efficiently with a light weapon rather than her fists, which seem so adept at sending dwarves to meet their gods.

I am sure this will be tested soon enough.

HiHoHe has claimed it is difficult to get any training done in the barracks due to the sleeping poets taking up almost every bit of floor space. We can declare the room off limits to guests, but I somewhat like the idea of a buffer of non-citizen bodies close by, should a fit of madness overtake a military trained dwarf.

"On that topic, the Baroness Consort LPzie has been most disruptive recently. Though nominally nobility, she best keep her tantrums non-damaging to life or property, or she may find her own life irreparably damaged.

...while the dwarves watching the crowds of zombies thronging our gates through the smoke and fire whine about seeing some wooden crafts of DivineCoffeBinge burning amongst the shambling corpses outside.

Sometimes I feel alone in trying to work towards a grander goal...

...though on that note, the misting project is best described as an abject failure. There was not enough water in the damnable surface pools breached to reach the misting machine we destroyed 2 rooms and drove our engraver to madness to create.

... our only hope is rain might fill it in time. It is walled off for now.

In either case nobody moved Habeasdorkus III's body to either a coffin or magma. That's something which would have certainly clogged the works were there enough water to clog.

RBA Starblade II is fond of reminding us all of the body via the most noisome wailing every time they pass. Honestly I am sick of the hysterics. The citizens here must accept that death is a part of life, and the dead not to be feared.

6th Malachite

I am told the ghost of Habeasdorkus III materialized behind Black Robe and tore their leg off.

Furthermore, it appears whatever animosity existed between the children Petracore and WereVolvo has been resolved... as the latter lost their grip on reality and attacked all comers.

While a child's tantrum is one thing, WereVolvo showed no signs of calming - they flit from dwarf to dwarf, biting and kicking. With many dwarves hanging by only a thread, this could not be allowed to go on.

...and the matter is put to rest by Haifisch. Most everyone agrees - questionable ethics, but commendable style.

Beset by homicidal ghosts and with a main hallway decorated by various pieces of WereVolvo, one might expect residency petitions to slow. But hark!

Nevertheless, our current ghost situation is clearly untenable. Memorial slabs have long since been commissioned for most of the dwarves, yet progress seems non-existant, possibly due to workshops snarled with depressed dwarves making meaningless crafts to stave off the dread.

Worse, looking at the mausoleum level, it is long since overflowing. Literally. Corpses lay on top of coffins in many places.

verbal enema may be soon to join them. She has been in the workshop she claimed for almost 2 weeks sketching pictures of wood, cloth, stone, bone and metal. It appears we don't have what her divine inspiration requires.

It is likely wood and bone missing - with the outside closed off, we will make an effort to fell some underground trees (and animals) in order to let her complete her work.

A newly laid set of coffins are opened for burial in the hopes it inspires someone to actually put bodies in there.

While petitions for residency still arrive, despite the gloomy residents.

All are welcome, we need all the hands we can in these trying times. For I have a dream. Rather, the child whose name I wear - IPA Regulations. She had a dream. More than a dream - a Plan.

While this fortress took her life before her dreams could be made into reality, she left me scribbles of ideas - and hope.

Dwarves cannot beat the horrors outside the gate with strength of arms alone - and the might of the silver appendage currently relied on for defense is too unreliable in it's current state. We need a better way to deal with our enemies and dispose of their worthless corpses that does not leave us knee deep in viscera and turning upon one another.

And we shall have it! The tunnels required are almost half done - thanks to drafting in new miners like Geri_Kahn.

But first we must clear our front yard of the infernal living dead elves and their beasts, and if possible lay our brave brothers and sisters outside to true rest.

We have many stockpiles of cages laying around - it is time to put them to use.

The plan is simple. We breach to the outside from a tunnel filled with cage traps, catch the dead as they enter, take their steel and socks, then toss them into the magma.

The irony of breaching into tunnels clearly designed for this exact same purpose is not lost on me. The loss of control of our outer defenses is an ongoing source of shame.

The fact that if a large monster attacks us from outside our best line of defense is a bunch of undead waifs wearing bark and leaves is also an enormous concern. With our gatehouse lost, any creature that can breach the zombie picket will be able to easily destoy the door and enter the fortress proper - so time is of the essence.

But really, with such meticulous planning what could go wrong?

17th Malachite

It appears we have had slabs with the names of most of those dwarves killed within the past year in storage and could have had them properly memorialized weeks if not months ago. Habeasdorkus III is there, alongside prestigious names including So Math and Brother Buer.

They are ordered to be placed in the Crazy Old Human Memorial Hall post-haste.

I extend my deepest regrets to Black Robe, who I found already out of hospital and down in a workshop, busy as ever. I applaud his work ethic even in the face of his recent limb reduction.

I also give him my assurances that nobody is talking about the irony of a one-legged suturer. If anything, I say, it shows familiarity with the craft.

I believe he bought it...

Though it was difficult to tell over the sound of him making slabs.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 16, 2019

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

IPA Regulations posted:

6th Malachite

I am told the ghost of Habeasdorkus III materialized behind Black Robe and tore their leg off.

Ow, what the gently caress dude, I needed that leg :mad:

IPA Regulations posted:

I extend my deepest regrets to Black Robe, who I found down already out of hospital and in a workshop, busy as ever. I applaud his work ethic even in the face of his recent limb reduction.

I also give him my assurances that nobody is talking about the irony of a one-legged suturer. If anything, I say, it shows familiarity with the craft.

I believe he bought it...

Though it was difficult to tell over the sound of him making slabs.

I probably could have sewed my leg back on but I expect if anyone was tasked with hauling it to the hospital with me they were too busy retching on miasma or screaming at ghosts. It's always something.

it's none of your business what i need all these slabs for

WereVolvo
Jan 12, 2011
"Fun" is not a design goal.
Well, there I go :sigh: But at least,

IPA Regulations posted:

a main hallway decorated by various pieces of WereVolvo,

is as good of an epitaph as I could hope for. And to be honest, I'm amazed that I survived for so long in this gibbering hellhole magnificent dwarven paradise, and that as a child to boot. Lay me to rest with my toy hammer, and I shall be satisfied.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
God I love this fortress.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Dwarves!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

I warned you all!

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
Well I'm pretty happy with the role my dwarf took on.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Histories of Valleysilences

Late Malachite 574

The fortress was now laser focused on the twin goals of getting its own dead buried respectfully and getting the dead outside turned into manageable, inanimate ash. And so the remainder of Malachite would fall into a steady rythym:  working towards these goals through abject misery, punctuated with the occasional violent tragedy.

Even with the dead outside effectively sealed off for now, Dwarves both high and low harbored dark memories of the things they had seen. From the noble Sankis in their personal magma-lit dining room:

To the low born dwarves toiling at the dirtiest jobs, like tFUCKINGmesis II. Though some would say that if one is prone to emotional shock at the sight of dead animals, perhaps butchery is best left to others...

... especially those dwarves who witness him carving their meat while lightly covered in vomit.

Even those toiling for the current Plan in the mechanic and mason workshops are not immune. SOLarian II, one of the many drafted to work stone mechanisms destined for the new delvings under the gate, lets fall a piece of magma safe rock, gibbering quietly... for once again, not ALL the dead are locked outside.

The ghost of Nuramor II stalks our halls...

Though some dwarves could not care less and get on with the tasks at hand. Commendable stonework from the likes of PurpleXVI, Alehks and Black Robe - churning out slabs and coffins at a rate that (almost) meets demand.

Yes, the rythym of fortress life goes on. More citizenship Petitions are approved, more hands get to work:

And the month of Galena is rung in with more flammable masterwork items crackling merrily outside amongst the zombies...

... while inside, the corpse of WereVolvo still lies where it fell, and it does not escape notice.

As an addendum to the month of Malachite, it is worth noting that during this trying time for the fortress, there was no decrease in visitors making the pilgrimage to what was once a great centre of learning (or at least a concentration of rare and ambiguously procured books). The only difference is they have no way to get inside, in addition to no sense of self preservation.

Scholars, entertainment troupes, merchants and other travelers continue to arrive at our borders at a fair rate, and are then generally set upon by the resident horde of undead elves, tigers and war monkeys. While ususally going unremarked, every arrival just adds to the zombie horde outside. Except, that is, for those who approach from the east, across the slope of the volcano.

A handful of scholars and travelling warriors, no doubt having peeked down the slope and made the decision to stay up on the ashen wasteland in the shadow of an active volcano caldera until the situation below improves, loiter many levels above, apparently unnoticed by the undead on the plain.

Though the fort is not given to flights of mercy, the group is thought to be either out of sight or unreachable by the zombies. It may be possible to get them inside, and also to perhaps once more gain safe passage to the Outside. So Galena also starts, with a dig up...

The goblin Zulban 'IPA Regulations IV' took his time wandering up to the battlements. For in truth, he felt as though things were almost out of his hands now. He had set the fort its tasks, now all that was left to see if it had the strength to carry them through.

While he'd originally thought the dwarves were following his orders because he served them drinks, he now understood it was just another part of their inscrutable culture - that they elect a yearly overseer not by merit nor any alcoholic ritual (though alcohol undoubtedly influences things), but by mere random chance. Or perhaps by the simple lack of anyone else willing to take responsibility for their suffering. Who could know.

He squeezed past the wall erected next to the fortifications overlooking the front gate. Zulban remembered its construction - back when it still seemed like a good idea to post marksdwarves up here. He remembered the noises of horror from those civilians like the one called Foul Ole Ron, as it brought them within sight of the horrors lurking outside.  

The wall was meant to encourage the dimwitted crossbow dwarves to stand close enough to the fortifications to fire on the zombies thronging below, but it was abandoned as the military was deemed to have faced enough trauma dealing with the corpses inside. Pathetic

For the first time, Zulban felt a flash of anger towards those in his charge. 5 months had passed, almost half his tenure, and what had they achieved? Here stood a fort, surely one of the richest in the world, with the greatest... he paused.

The zombies outside - usually standing unnaturally still or roving in small parties chasing down random visitors - were moving. Moving as one. First at a canter then at full speed, they all appeared to be bent toward a single goal now - and some of them were moving surprisingly fast. He watched them stream away from the side gate and move around the lava pool dribbling from the statue's pizzler... up towards the northern trench. Without fully knowing why, IPA turned from the battlements and began to walk back towards the main hallway.

How odd. It was the same trench that Dirt5o8 had ducked into last month, in fact. IPA quickened his pace. The same trench that led to the old trap tavern. The same tavern where the access hatch had been left open for the dwarves caught outside during the siege to possibly get in... IPA's breathing sped up and he began to run, sprinting back to the main stairwell... the same tavern which proved impassable, but only due to a single tiny pool of residual magma, which would surely evaporate sooner or later... he began to scream:

"lockthehatch lockthehatch! lockthehatch!! lock the hatch!  LOCK THE HATCH LOCK THE HAAAATCH!!!"

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 23, 2019

stratego
May 6, 2007

How exciting!

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Good stuff. I've been getting disenchanted by the game due to my own inability to plan, but this keeps tempting me back.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I'm curious, what's my dude's mental state like now? He seems really chill about the whole 'being maimed by a ghost' thing, just shrugging it off and getting to work making coffins and slabs so it doesn't happen to anyone else.

Also does he have a crutch or is he just hopping everywhere?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Oh poo poo, how did it take them this long to find the open hatch?

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Black Robe posted:

He seems really chill about the whole 'being maimed by a ghost' thing, just shrugging it off and getting to work making coffins and slabs so it doesn't happen to anyone else.

He really does! I was very surprised, when I saw the leg on the ground I thought for sure you'd be dead in short order, and worse it was in the workshop area so now dwarves who were previously too busy to be bothered by corpses in the upper halls would get their share.

But no! You took it in stride (ha) apparently. You even dragged yourself to the hospital and you were out right quick. Pharnakes is a great doctor, though he does seem to be a hair's breadth away from suicide due to the things he's seen (I'm not bothering to report on depressed/tantruming/oblivious dwarves if they're not actually violent).

Also just to note what actually happened game wise at the end of the last update: I completely forgot there was actually that open path into the fortress that was blocked by a 1/7 tile of magma. So there I am, watching dwarves digging way way up in the volcano, when all of a sudden the game slows to a complete crawl. Which is weird because I play on a pretty beefy desktop these days and had no problem with the save so far. I pause, try closing chrome tabs etc, unpause, it's still bad. I start to worry the save could be about to get borked again and I have no backups, and I'm checking the map for cpu intense poo poo like maybe the trade depot on fire or magma hitting water... Then I see how the zombies are moving, and start recording the gif just as things speed up to roughly normal. Then immediately pause again as I realise the slowdown was actually about 100 zombies pathfinding into the fort, because that tiny pool of magma had just evaporated.

:iit:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Speaking of enemies pathfinding, are they omniscient? That is to say, if you opened a pathway on the "back" side of the mountain, would they instantly all path there or would one of them have to "discover" it first?

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

PurpleXVI posted:

Speaking of enemies pathfinding, are they omniscient? That is to say, if you opened a pathway on the "back" side of the mountain, would they instantly all path there or would one of them have to "discover" it first?

That's actually high on my list to find out! I'm not sure if the scholars hanging out on top of the fort are alive because they can't be 'seen' or can't be reached. If it's because they can't be seen, but there is a valid path up to them, it'll be interesting to see what happens when we break through up there: if the zombies will instantly know and path up there, or not.

Of course that all depends if we're still alive after this little snafu!

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

PurpleXVI posted:

IPA Regulations posted:

That's actually high on my list to find out! I'm not sure if the scholars hanging out on top of the fort are alive because they can't be 'seen' or can't be reached. If it's because they can't be seen, but there is a valid path up to them, it'll be interesting to see what happens when we break through up there: if the zombies will instantly know and path up there, or not.

Of course that all depends if we're still alive after this little snafu!

From what I've seen, they absolutely would provided getting into the mountain was their goal. They'll always opt for the shortest, easiest path, and if there's a better one open, they'll take it. The sieges I had did it every time I changed the defenses.

If an enemy isn't directly trying to attack the fort like these zombies, then they'll wander about until they probably stumble upon one of the entrances.

I would like to know if they path to the scholars because enemies seem downright psychic sometimes. It would be worth keeping in mind that most humanoid enemies will try to climb, which is why I had some humans stranded on the top of the golem for some time.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh poo poo, how did it take them this long to find the open hatch?

I know I kind of addressed it already but picture is worth a thousand words and all that... the fort is confusing enough to play, let alone read about :

Twybil improvised a magma trap from our old tavern to break the human siege. It can be accessed from the outside via ramps leading down to a trench that runs under our main gatehouse. That's where the zombies are streaming down to in the gif.

That hatch had been left open as a means of letting Dirt5o8, stratego and Volmarias (RIP) in at the onset of the elf siege, with the idea being to lock it fast behind them and burn any following zombies with the trap.

The problem, you may remember, at that time was:

Which meant Dirt5o8 basically had to throw themselves down a mineshaft to survive. And I forgot all about the unlocked hatch. But once the 1/7 magma pool evaporated, the path was clear, and the zombies all suddenly had a route in.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 18, 2019

stratego
May 6, 2007

So, what I understand you to be saying is, is that we need more magma.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

stratego posted:

So, what I understand you to be saying is, is that we need more magma.

See, this guy.

He gets it.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Zulban 'IPA Reulations IV', drinkboss of Valleysilences, sprinted down the hallway to the hatch, still shouting for it to be locked. Bursting down the stairwell, there did not initially appear to be zombies in the hall; but that was not to say they had not already entered. He passed the plinth with Subtleshower on his way - not for the first time Zulban thought of the strength represented by the exquisite silver maul and drew bitter comparisons with the weakness he saw around him.

He arrived just as the hatch covers were locked. The dwarves looked around at him, bemused by his urgency - but their expressions changed when the scratching started on the other side of the hatch, barely a second later.

"We are betrayed" he uttered, surprising all those present, including himself. He had meant to say "we are breached". But somewhere between brain and lips, the word changed. Confusion and worry bloomed on the faces before him.

"Call the militia, search all levels" he snapped, before anyone thought to question the statement - he did not know if any dwarves present were there when he'd ordered the hatches left unlocked originally.

"Necromancers, or some misguided fools in league with them, have gained entrance to the fort" he explained, "They left this hatch open to betray us. We shall root them out."

With that, he made as best a sweeping turn as he could manage in his tattered clothes, and strode off up the hall. He passed Subtleshower again. As ususal, passing the maul gave him confidence in himself and his actions. It was truly a grand prize, a symbol of what the fort could be if directed properly.

Sometimes when in need of reassurance, he would come down and gaze upon it. It reassured him - guided him.

Sometimes he fancied he felt a low, comforting hum within himself and all of his being when near it. It's those times that he'd gotten all his best ideas recently, and also a few nosebleeds.

A quick check from the battlements confirmed the horde of zombies outside had fallen still again now the hatch was secure. That made him thoughtful. Maybe there really was a traitor, then? How else could the zombies have known about him leaving the hatch unlocked, and come at once when the magma had cooled enough to allow them access? Perhaps that was it - traitors. Yes. A drop of blood hit his chest as he walked.

Up the hall, he heard shouting. His heartrate spiked - his worst fears confirmed, undead insurrection!

But no - just another dwarf too weak to handle their life here.

Lord of Hats was throwing one of his violent tantrums, provoking a fistfight with Valtonen before rounding on gbuchold when the mayor intervenes.

Being a performer by trade, Lord of Hats luckily doesn't bring much to the table when it comes to martial skills. The mayor gets little more than a petulant kick to the shin before Lord of Hats stalks off, apparently satiated.

Neverthless, IPA Regulations IV found himself looking at the scene with cold detachment. Here was a dwarf - who fancied themselves a 'Performer', no less - causing no end of trouble lately with their childish tantrums, once again attacking hard working dwarves. In particular, gbuchold as mayor had maintained his popularity despite the morbid times of the current fort, not to mention turning out masterwork armour for the fortress in his work.

Therefore he had no qualms leaving him to the mercy of TheCog despite the knowlege that no bone or wood crossbows had been found in our entire armory - thus likely making it a death sentence, if TheCog decides to use her now infamous fists to pass the sentence.

Looking down, IPA finally gets some good news - Habeasdorkus III's corpse had gone from below the grate! Someone finally moved it.

"Well done dwarves!" he called to those nearby, though most were gone looking for weapons in light of the call to arms.

"Well done on finally disposing of the wretched corpse!" he continued, taking a moment to look around and locate a severed piece of dwarf in the hall - there was no shortage of body parts strewn about these days. He picked it up and waved it about. "I also have a part in this. I shall take this to its coffin, therefore appropriately honouring your dead."

And off he went, beaming - happy that he was showing the dwarves he was not above mucking in himself when the need arose.

However, when he reached the coffin, his good mood was shattered instantly. In this nook above the gatehouse, where supposedly the dwarf whose limb he bore rested, he was confronted once again with the inexplicable dwarven affinity for throwing their dead on top of the coffin instead of inside. He lost it.

"Idiots! All of you!" he cried, dropping the limb and running back towards the hall. The gentle humming had started again. He found Alehks along the way. The militia commander had already donned his wargear and was responding to the commotion the goblin was making.

"Do you want zombies?" the goblin shrieked, punctuating the next sentence with a series of punches to the head. "Because this... is how... you get... zombies!" The force of the blows was surprisingly strong for such a scrawny creature, thoroughly ringing Alehks' bell.

Punching someone wearing an adamantine helm is normally very ill advised - it's likely to do more damage to your hands than anything else. But if it did, the skinny goblin didn't even feel it. In his mind, his fists were two giant silver mauls.

While the overseer's attention is on the (mis)placement of the inanimate dead, it turns out fears of an actual undead incursion were well founded. A cry goes up that a zombie is sighted on the main stairs from the mining levels.

The next moments are pure bedlam as the cries multiply in the twisting passages and stairways of the fort - the walking, mangled and decaying elf swordsman's corpse had dragged itself up into the lower halls and began lunging at civilians, who stampeded away from it just as the military attempted to wade towards it. While it is distracted scratching at a fleeing bard, the axehuman So Math III, geri_khan and habituallyred engage it.

It goes down without much trouble, but now there is also the sounds of fighting across the other side of the fortress, above the gatehouse from a small workshop area. To those on the stairwell, drenched in undead elf blood, it must seem for a moment as though there are zombies everywhere.

But no - it is merely the child verbal enema, gone insane as the fort failed to provide her materials in time. Selios makes it quick.

An uneasy silence descends. An hour goes by, then a day. It seems the elf corpse was perhaps the only one. But where did it come from?

Searching down the stairwell the elf came from reveals a grisly clue: the remains of a human poet called Ino - a recent resident of the fortress. Doubtless killed by the elf corpse - which the dwarves now called Kamcaras.

The plot thickens as dwarven CSI determines some of the blood found is not elf or human - but dwarf.

The human body was found in an area of the mining levels suspiciously close to where Dirt5o8 made their rapid descent to safety last month. Following the small stairway down to the next mining level confirms it: the zombie must have fallen through the same hole, either by chance or perhaps more worrisome, climbing down after smelling prey below.

And worse, a second body explains the dwarf blood present on the human. stratego II apparently had the misfortune to be passing the stairwell up to the breach when the zombie came down.

The loss of a skilled miner is a significant blow to progress on the traps planned to deal with the zombies. It's feasible to wall up this breach, and indeed we should, but ironically the hole is planned to be used to drain magma from the trap once it is complete. And since the elf corpse getting in this way seems to be a freak occurence, it's hoped posting a watch on this entryway is enough to prevent any more tragedies.

Nevertheless, the incident kindles a great desire for vengeance in the dwarves. Progress on the traps speeds up greatly in the latter half of the month.

u brexit ukip it II is putting the finishing touches to the new tunnel that will fill form the trap tavern, now a magma reservoir.

The lever is pulled to seal up the trap tavern entrance in preparation to breach into it so we may rig the new trap corridor.

While it's tempting to open the other floodgate to incinerate the two elf zombies inside, we would then need to wait months for it to drain again. It's decided we take a more hands-on approach. The more experienced militia squads are ordered to the breach site. Haifisch and Rutile are eager for some payback on the undead menace.

Resplendant in their admantine gear, they draw stares and solemn applause as they descend into the rough new tunnels under the tavern, weapons drawn. Alehks follows behind, rubbing his neck ruefully.

And the order given to carve a breach.

Haifisch makes quick work of the zombies.

While Rutile gets a few good hits in, then executes a perfect combat roll... down 3 flights of stairs.

It may just be we've had her pushing too many pencils recently, with so many work orders passing over her desk.

Thankfully their adamantine gear spares the warrior from the ignoble fate of breaking their neck two levels below the actual fighting. Hopefully Rutile has the good grace to look embarassed.

Nevertheless, the removal of the zombies allows workers access to put the finishing touches to what is now to become the main reservoir for our new magma trap:

The watch reports the first leaves outside have begun to fall as the plans come together. Autumn will be the season we coat the Volcano of Torments in the ashes of the dead.

Meanwhile the secondary trap hallway is almost completed. Our citizens can practically feel the fine silk and leathers we'll soon be stripping off those mouldering zombies. Which is good news, as we've recently run out of cloth.

However, it's not soon enough for some. Closing the month out on a downer, it appears Lord of Hats may have done more damage with their earlier tantrum than just grazing the mayor's knee. Word spreads the original victim of the fistfight, Valtonen, has killed themselves by throwing themselves down a well; taking with them a frustrating amount of good quality gear.

At least this eases the conscience of leaving Lord of Hats at TheCog's mercy.

Merry Dwarfmas Valleysilences!

Some side notes that didn't quite fit in anywhere:

While searching for a light Judicial Bludgeoning Crossbow for TheCog, I turned up a pair of artifact copper crossbows listed in our stocks - probably brought here by visitors who knows when. And indeed one of them was located in a pool in the first cavern layer, not far from the fortress - the owner presumed deceased.

Not much use for more survivable beatings, but an interesting addition to our armory - artifact crossbows from what I remember have an absolutely insane rate of fire, so it might be fun to equip some stoic dwarf to go up and machine gun down some zombies from the battlements.

Another citizen petition. It's kind of funny to imagine despite the absolute hell this place is, people still wanting to live here. I wonder if the fact they literally cannot leave influences it. Stockholm syndrome but on a civilisation level.

And Fumbles, humbled by his recent stint in jail, gets back to his raison d'etre: improving resident's rooms with masterpiece engravings. While they are sleeping in them.

Despite this odd sense of humour, he's been turning out some great stuff recently, from sensible renditions of famous dwarven artifacts:

To more playful pieces, such as the realistic dead body on the floor of a resident's bedroom.

Some might say the engraver still harbours some resentment over the humans attacking last year. Who can say?

And finally, about Black Robe, our one legged surturer:

His stoicness seems to be built on his love of work, and the current demand for stone hatches and doors and such appears to be holding him together. He was the husband of stratego (the first), who died pouring dick lava on the elves, and whos body then proceeded to cause the death of about 20 more of them inside the colossus via zombification. He is getting used to tragedy : (

I also just noticed from his thoughts that apparently Dallbun is dead. Did not see a notification for it. I was getting notifications while playing that they were starving/dehydrated, but were inside the fortress and we have lots of food and drink. I also noticed they were attempting to get a meeting with someone to complain (probably gbuchold), but were moving very slowly maybe due to an injury, this combo may have prevented them going to eat/drink in time. Sorry man! Another one bites the dust thanks to Dwarven beaurocracy!

Again happy holidays, doubtful there will be an update before the new year, when hopefully we'll have some festive elf zombies roasting merrily on an open magma pit!

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 23, 2019

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

merry dwarfmas

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

So basically you need to keep my dude busy because as soon as he's idle and doesn't have a job he's going to snap. And losing a leg barely slowed him down. Godspeed, dorf-me.

stratego
May 6, 2007

That's great! If only I could stop dying for just a wee bit. Oh well, can't complain too much I suppose. Thanks for the update.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

How am I doing? Am I keeping it together or on the verge of a nervous breakdown?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
rip lil verbal sent crazy and got her head chopped off :(

Sign me up for another character whenever!

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Hey, look, the fort is still in chaos. And people are still signing up to live here despite the living undead outside/ partially inside.

Nice.

...At this point, I'm inclined to think this is actually the natural state of the fortress and any calm moments are some sort of weird, eldritch happening. Regardless, how goes the memorial slab making? That's all the slightly deranged, self-proclaimed overseer of six days wanted, so he'd be happy if those are still being made.

Also, I wish I knew why the dwarves insisted on just leaving the corpses lying about instead of inside the coffins. Is it some odd quirk caused by the victim's left pinky finger tip bone still lying out in the field somewhere? The world may never know.

Fuubi
Jan 18, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER
How's Fuubi III(?) doing? Is she still alive?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

By now I assume little PetraCore is a closet-dwelling blood covered gremlin, but alive.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
So I'm away from the machine for a bit and can't check on anyone else but...

PetraCore posted:

By now I assume little PetraCore is a closet-dwelling blood covered gremlin, but alive.

Funny you should ask! Before the elf siege I was trying to figure out what to do with all our persistent violent troublemakers, hence the rejigging of the military and Brother Buer's Long Walk. But obviously Petra is too young to go on a dwarven suicide mission, being under 12.

So since her family in the fortress are dead (in fact a major factor in her rage is having endured seeing them rot), and she misses having family, I thought about expelling her along with a few of the adults (this is something you can do that makes the dwarf leave the site and sends them off to live somewhere else) She has aunts and uncles out there to go live with and we have dwarven settlements nearby. I screenshotted all this and everything... Then realised you can't expel children.

So she's still around and iirc, she's now sitting depressed in her room rather than tantrumming, since WereVolvo got impromptu dissected by the military. Take from that what you will!

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 24, 2019

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
We are alive!

Hope everyone had good holidays. This should be an exciting month for Valleysilences (let it be noted, I am currently touching wood as I type this, because last time I thought this, the save got loving irredeemably corrupted) - our trap halls are just about ready and the dwarves are eager for some vengeance on the undead.

While we were on holidays, those mischeivous dwarves took it on themselves to nickname two of the hitherto unnamed arrivals while they slept: Optimus_Rhyme II (sorry , I missed your request before!), a scholar who managed to snag one of the good newly engraved bedrooms to the south east of the main halls.

And verbal enema II, a speardwarf apparently on their way to one of the barracks to hunker down.

PurpleXVI's doing fine at the moment, being kept busy by the many orders for stone hatches to be fulfilled (we even had to rip some of the magma-safe ones off our jail cells to expedite the trap halls, the logic being if/when the fortress floods with magma , the prisoners deserve the least protection).

And Fuubi II (not onto III yet, unless we fudged the numbers somewhere) is doing very well considering, currently blissful from our legendary dining hall.

Oh, and for Twybil: the Crazy Old Human Memorial Hall is coming along a treat. We are mostly on top of our ghost problem I think, except when they occasionally tear people's legs off.

Update will be along soon - probably tomorrow. Not gonna lie between one thing and another it's been hard to find motivation. But I will see this out, dammit!

Edit: hope y'all are ok with the Dwarf Therapist profiles. Pretty sure they have all the same info, but are much less of pain in the rear end to screenshot.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jan 11, 2020

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

IPA Regulations posted:

PurpleXVI's doing fine at the moment, being kept busy by the many orders for stone hatches to be fulfilled (we even had to rip some of the magma-safe ones off our jail cells to expedite the trap halls, the logic being if/when the fortress floods with magma , the prisoners deserve the least protection).

I'll, uh, lead the militia company from the back. You know, see to some important organizing and planning. Maybe someone else could take over the whole "fighting dangerous things"-part.

I love that I'm apparently an outright sociopath, though, hugely narcissistic and enjoying the suffering of others.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Ah yes, corruption. I'd be tempted to say this is what happens when you run a game with over a gigabyte of files in active use and all loosely coded through text files, but at this point I think our fortress's horror is leaking out of the game.

Nice to hear crazy memorial man is getting his wish even though probably everyone in the fort forgot why.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
The therapist profiles are easier to read, too. Looking forward to the next update!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
gently caress yeah speardwarf hope i jab some bastards.

Also i see Verbal II is 'immune to stress' but is also 'rarely happy' so that should be fun

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Histories of Valleysilences

Autumn - Limestone, 574

The seasons change across the Volcano of Torments, though in their current state the dwarves of Valleysilences could hardly notice or care less about the gentle shifts in nature outside. They are rather more concerned about the ever-growing horde of undead. This month would see the culmination of numerous plans to improve their position.

But first, some housekeeping. Our stockpiles overflow with copper bars. Normally of limited use as armour due to its fragility, however our main enemy is the undead, who mostly attack with tooth and nail. We should try to get every dwarf in the fortress some protection. For this, we need to draft in more armorers.

ziz and HardHead are chosen, due to their currently happy demeanor and lack of other essential skills.

Normally a fort benefits from having just a handful, or single highly skilled dwarf working metal into weapons and armour. However, early in the month the fortress uses the last of its steel producing helms and axes for the militia. We now crtitically lack decent metals and the fact is, our only skilled smiths - gbuchold and Idrenhur - are overworked and suicidally depressed, respectively. So it may be time to start training understudies anyway; they can work their way up on our copious copper stocks.

We also wanted a light weapon for TheCog to bash troublemakers with, that might leave them penitent but alive - since her fists have had a 100% mortality rate thus far. We have an artifact bone pick in our stockpiles - and while the idea of such a grand token of office is attractive, punishment from a piercing weapon is still likely to prove fatal to unarmoured citizens.

One of our recently arrived citizens is a legendary Bowyer. A wood or bone bow from him should keep TheCog happy and our miscreants breathing. Realizing we lack any Bowyer workshops to fulfil the order, we commission him a workshop on the same level as our mason and clothier shops, seen here on the left of the mason shops.

Speaking of trouble, LPzie and tFUCKINGmesis have been kicking off again.

The apex of LPzie's tantrum is underwhelming - she attempts to give Frionnel a dead arm. Luckily for her, the Monster Slayer deems not to fight back.

While tFUCKINGmesis attacks one of our ubiquitous punching bags, a bard. It's decided to take him off butchery duty and on to something more dwarfy to see if it improves his mood. Another armorer for our copper ambitions.

And so back to the main tasks at hand. The cage trap hallway where we hope to recover some of the equipment lost to the outside is given a final extension, with a bridge planned at the far end to provide an airlock system that will be impervious to intruders, and allow us to process the caged zombies in peace.

While many z-levels above, the order is given to break through to the plateau above the fortress, where numerous visitors have been hiding for untold months.

The dwarves who broke through say the visitors seemed reticent at first, perhaps not comprehending the meaning of the sudden appearance of the entryway before them. But then they began move towards it, albeit slowly.

Time to check the theory of whether the zombies out on the plains will notice.

And it only takes a cursory glance at where they were thronging around the side entryway to see, yes. It was noticed. Even the zombies which were inside the colossus streamed out of it and towards the volcano the moment the breakthrough was made. The tail end of a pack can be seen stumbling up the slope... and some of them are moving worryingly fast.

Which is exceedingly bad new for Fumbles the engraver, who idiotically decided to go and try fetch something from the outside as soon as the first shafts of daylight lanced through the new stairwell, running out past the exhausted and haunted looking scholars and merchants on their way in.

The order is given for all citizens to get indoors immediately. Fumbles retreats back down the stairway, hotly pursued by the first of the fleet footed elf corpses barely a few urists behind - gaining on him with every heartbeat.

((I had a very exciting gif to go here which I promptly accidentally destroyed by overwriting it while trying to edit. Here is the surviving frame of the scary fast zombie coming down after Fumbles))

He makes it through the double doors just as the disgusting creature reaches the bottom of the stairwell, and the doors are firmly locked.

Looks like a successful operation; we rescued about 5 visitors from the topside, with no loss to the fort.

Sadly, it turned out there were more visitors up there than we first thought, and their distance from the entryway spelled their doom. They emerged from their hiding places and crept toward the opening after their fellows, only to be swarmed by the mass of elf corpses running up the slope.

A lone swordsdwarf - perhaps a merchant guard, manages to hold them off as long as she can, but her fate was sealed from the moment the doors locked behind Fumbles.

She does manage to take a few of them with her - including deftly striking off a pair of mutilated elven heads in quick succession before being surrounded and overwhelmed.

She will be avenged.

13th Limestone 574

So, rescuing the visitors could have gone better, could have gone worse. We got some of them in, but from the sounds above - and the blood leaking down the steps - not all of them. Well, they knew the risks in coming here. And if they didn't, well, they would have made poor scholars anyway.

When I checked in on the cage hallway, Evil Fluffy II was on their way to design the bridge that will complete the hall. There were some delays due to a debate among the workforce of what exactly is defined as 'Inside'.

Once that bridge is built and linked to a lever, we'll be ready to send some brave, expendable dwarf to go and break through.

LPzie seems like a good candidate, as a noble it really should be under her purview to inaugurate these kind of building projects anyway, and her violent outbursts have been quite the nuisance of late. We'll see if she can be convinced to go get a pick and...

... hark. A commotion from the lower halls.

gently caress.

A forgotten beast has been sighted, of one of the most dangerous type - a web slinging monstrosity. Even the most battle hardened warriors are helpless when webbed by such creatures, and we have precious few warriors worthy of the name. Mightier forts than ours have been laid waste at the zenith of their power by such creatures.

And worse yet, it is spotted just a short distance from the entrance to the fort - less than 100 urists to the entryway, unbarred and unguarded.

gently caress.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 12, 2020

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

IPA Regulations posted:

gently caress.

"It was upon this day that history was made in the creation of an entirely new word, simply because the Dwarven language had no word equally capable of expressing both dread and frustration in a large quantitiy.

It took approximately 0.4 days for it to be also become part of the Human language."

I'm still baffled at how long this cursed fortress continues to live and how many times it gets assaulted by giant bugs. It just exists in spite of the game's best efforts to delete it.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

The Flying Twybil posted:

"It was upon this day that history was made in the creation of an entirely new word, simply because the Dwarven language had no word equally capable of expressing both dread and frustration in a large quantitiy.

It took approximately 0.4 days for it to be also become part of the Human language."

I'm still baffled at how long this cursed fortress continues to live and how many times it gets assaulted by giant bugs. It just exists in spite of the game's best efforts to delete it.

Isn't Geshud the deity of nightmares and suffering? Just taking care of her (?) copious worshippers

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

The Flying Twybil posted:

What is dead may never die. :black101:

quite literally in many cases, hence all the zombies and ghosts...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Is there a limit to what can become undead? Can you have an undead forgotten beast?