Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Hoping for a levon victory, hype about the chessbrah's having yasser back. Loving magnus dunking on giri, naka was joining in recently so i guess he can't be all that popular on the circuit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Can FIDE even pay the prizes given their accounts are frozen?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Sad levon agreed a draw in such a great game but awesome first day

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Shak also said from his table they could see TV's with judit polgar analysing the position and how best to play against him.

According to Grishuk there was no water in the toilets at one point.

I was considering flying over to check it out in person, glad i didn't

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBbS1FYRYPI

Chess network has done an analysis of fabi vs so. His videos are generally pretty fantastic and great at showing exactly why certain moves were played when there's a tendency for commentators to just be like "yep that's obvious"

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

I imagine levon will try and get a draw. 1/2 a point against shak with black is reasonable but losing and being 1.5 points behind after 2 games would be pretty disasterous

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Less decisive this round with Sasha defeating So and kramnik rather poetically being unable to crack open 'his' opening in the city it's named after.

Keeps it nice and tight for the tournament. Unfortunately at work all this week so not going to be follow it live for the next 5 days.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Might be regretting some choices right now.

e: Like he's losing from such a fundemental "I did not understand the opening on a basic level" game.

I saw him go into a berlin against kramnik and i was like drat, levon is ready to show the world he is going to take this tournament and then everything seemed to fall apart from kh1 rg8

Fabi/Shak is a really sharp ending

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

algebra testes posted:

Oh god tick tock

Made time control, this seems alot better for black now with the h and e pawn racing down the board

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Play resumes today for the next 3 days. Aman Hambleton will be on the chessbrah stream with Yasser for these games before Yasser goes to St Louis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXcwGyqGY3c

Chess network has done a video on the Aronian/Kramnik game.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Christ just looked at the games and shak and so have traded everything off in 20 moves!

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Kramnik Caruana was just an absolutely epic game. Swings back and forth with fabi coming back when he was in what looked like a losing position and under ridiculous time pressure, pretty much playing the increment for 15 moves to make time control.

Think it's a also great example of why computers aren't great at predicting what human players are going to do. At one point if you go through the game stockfish has Kramnik up a giant amount and wants him to under promote (this means getting a pawn on your opponents back rank and choosing something other then a queen) to prevent a check on the king.

A human player 5 hours into a game like that just isn't going to be thinking the same way.

Loving Africa Chaps fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Mar 15, 2018

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Doctor Malaver posted:

I like the Yasser & Anime Hair coverage so much! Especially of the insane Grischuk game.

Anime hair is definitely the better chessbrah for commentry imo.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

The ending position for levon vs caruana is kinda funny, black king is completely surrounded aaaaand white resigns.

https://lichess.org/broadcast/candidates-2018-rd-7/Ezr8pMvz

That's levon out of the tournament for sure. Completely choked especially with those two draws he should have put to bed. Sad as i've enjoyed watching his games the most as i've got into chess a bunch recently and thought he had the best chance to give magnus a run for his money.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Drone posted:

I've never really bothered watching chess streams until now, been tuning into the Chessbrah stream. Is Yasser a regular or is this just for the tournament? Dude is really fun to watch.

He's on there for for some of the tournaments, I think he really likes how they're reaching out to a younger audience and how they don't ever use engines. He's got a great voice and is brilliant at explaining stuff plus I love his stories. Dude just loves chess and it's pretty infectious, I'd really recommend his book 'winning chess tactics'

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

algebra testes posted:

Lmao @ that soviet team too.

:eyepop:

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Ding also choked a completely winning game, keeping his perfect tournament intact.

I thought he'd played this candidates perfectly. Drawn the first lump of games and kept himself in touch with the leaders, spending less time at the board then anyone else, only to come back and find wins against those who were out of the tournament but looks like the pressure got to him.

Also Lev :smith: bottom of the rankings having been most people's pick to win it. He must be absolutely devastated with the prep he put in and the weight of his country pretty much annointinflg him challnger to Magnus.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Kajarkin now top with 5 players within half a point of the top. Nuts.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

algebra testes posted:

*levon collapsing intensifies*

:smith:

wanna see a lev win but i don't want Magnus Karjakin 2

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

2 great endings in those games. So fabi and shak both have to win with black tomorrow, karjarkin has to win with white but it's against ding who hasn't lost a game

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Doctor Malaver posted:

Are players aware of results on other boards in real time?

Yeah they can get up and walk around between moves. In some tournaments you'll often see other players coming over to look at a position

Personally i think caruana has to go for a win, if either of his rivals win he doesn't win the tournament.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Ding has built a fortress and fabi looks like he has some really good chances to win

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

grah posted:

And there's the resignation, wow. Caruana winning the last two rounds after a tough loss to Karjakin, takes the Candidates at +4. Totalled 3 wins with the black pieces, just a fantastic performance. If he stays playing at this level it should be a really exciting match in London.

Ding Liren also had a really impressive tournament, finishing +1 with no losses. The only game I saw where he looked in serious trouble was the one Caruana had won and just blew.

Worthy winner, glad he pushed on instead of sticking out his hand the instant he heard shak drew. Ding could have easily won this tournament, i think he came with a gameplan to be absolutely solid defensively and then push for wins later on in the tournament. Very nearly paid off for him and to his credit most of his draws were fairly interesting games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

AnacondaHL posted:

:911: lets gooooo Caruana!

:italy: you mean

• Locked thread