Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is New Dawn worth the $10-20?
I loved 4 and tolerated 5. I just want that type of game with more bright colors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Inzombiac posted:

I loved 4 and tolerated 5. I just want that type of game with more bright colors.

Yes, I enjoyed it.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Inzombiac posted:

yeah its fun

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I still can't believe how bad 5's season pass was, it was advertised as totally off the wall poo poo and it was actually all garbage that they probably made in a month.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
But that's most DLC content for any game. It's rarely worth playing if it's not a full expansion.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Inzombiac posted:

They basically took all the stuff that worked in 5, got rid of the stuff that didn’t, and added Crysis superpowers. It’s good.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Fame Douglas posted:

But that's most DLC content for any game. It's rarely worth playing if it's not a full expansion.

Oh man, FC5 dlc is extra high concept dumb poo poo. You ever wanted to hear Hurk talk for 9 straight hours on Mars? A cut below most dlc it is impressive.

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe
Grimey Drawer
I wish they had the vietnam war dlc guns in the main game at launch. The available weapon pool in the main game was small (smaller than 4 i think) and it would have been fun to use the m16a1 or the ak variants instead of just the same railed up tactical ar15 variant that half the enemies and good guys all use.

I was also disappointed by the dlc’s themselves, especially since I really enjoyed the yeti dlc in 4.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

the only far cry dlc ive enjoyed was blood dragon, and that got old pretty fast too

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Hey BTW, New Dawn is a cool $5 on Epic with the coupon. Get the deluxe version to be eligible.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do we know if this will have Clutch Nixon missions?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

KirbyKhan posted:

Oh man, FC5 dlc is extra high concept dumb poo poo. You ever wanted to hear Hurk talk for 9 straight hours on Mars? A cut below most dlc it is impressive.

the worst part is I really, really like Hurk but that Mars DLC was the trashiest trash that ever trashed

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Kadath posted:

I wish they had the vietnam war dlc guns in the main game at launch. The available weapon pool in the main game was small (smaller than 4 i think) and it would have been fun to use the m16a1 or the ak variants instead of just the same railed up tactical ar15 variant that half the enemies and good guys all use.

they slowly unlocked half the arsenal over the course of weeks with community events and it fuckin sucked

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
FC5’s guns generally felt the same anyway since enemies were way more fragile. Fast firing, slow firing, people dropped so fast it didn’t make a difference. Outside of like the M249, which just chewed ammo and kicked off target compared to the M60.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
5 had basically no weapon progression.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Rinkles posted:

5 had basically no weapon progression.

I actually appreciated how quickly I could get a gold plated AK. Every dumb gun skin was p choice.

FC5 is a land of contrasts. Vietnam DLC is actually a fine 2 session Far Cry experience fully condensed down.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The fishing was pretty great tho

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

doingitwrong posted:

Someday Ubisoft will figure out how to make an open world game that is not a mountain checklist of samey chores and will have the courage to just let their world be with stuff to stumble upon.

I have yet to find a san box as compelling GTA: San Andreas. It has big map, lots of fun things to do, varied environments and fun ways of getting around.

KirbyKhan posted:

I KNOW RITE. Fuckin insulting at the end of it all. Also you got cult programmed in like 48 by the militia brother so if you hear this dumb song you'll trip balls.

The kidnaping in 5 was truly loving terrible on every possible level. Who thought it was a good idea to interrupt my bass fishing so that Faith can drone on at me about fake friends. I am not breaking new ground by saying mechanically there was a lot to like about Far Cry 5 but writing was pure garbage and the kidnapping was worst of it.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 2, 2021

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Have there been any interviews where the devs have given any insight into what they were thinking with the kidnappings in 5? I suspect it was an attempt to address how certain players are unable to pace themselves in a way they enjoy and end up burning out on open world games because they spend too much time on side content.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The kidnappings happened a whole 4 times throughout the game and were very predictable in when they happened. Acting like they made the game worse in any significant way seems absurd.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The mechanic of blow stuff up till meter fills, then climax mission plays as a follow-up mission is fine conceptually. I mean I was blowing up those corn silos to piss off that dude for a reason. Fishing never made those kidnap meters go up.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Fame Douglas posted:

The kidnappings happened a whole 4 times throughout the game and were very predictable in when they happened. Acting like they made the game worse in any significant way seems absurd.

while they didn't singlehandedly ruin the game or anything, they were really annoying and i hope they dont do poo poo that again.

imo a major part of the appeal of sandbox-ish open world games is the ability to do what you want when you want at your own pace, forcing people into main story cinematic poo poo while you are out just trying to have a good time loving around in the world is not fun

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

yeah it should be a choice to advance the story in those kinds of games 100%

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Earwicker posted:

imo a major part of the appeal of sandbox-ish open world games is the ability to do what you want when you want at your own pace, forcing people into main story cinematic poo poo while you are out just trying to have a good time loving around in the world is not fun

I want to add those sequences would be forgivable if they where well written and they are not. The Whitetail Mountains is especially bad with a character point blank telling Elli that the Rook is randomly disappearing, the Seeds are experts at brainwashing people and that makes the Rook a major security risk and his reward for ignoring the obvious is a gunshot to the face; its a text book example of an idiot story.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 4, 2021

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I made that choice when I planted c4 on those bliss drums.

Edit: what poster said. Kidnapping me to start the climax sequence of a zone isn't what made them bad. It was that they were written dumb and insultingly.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I wouldn’t have minded the kidnappings but each region has a couple of side quests that you get locked out of if you don’t do them before the bar fills up. I know I missed some before I realized this.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

It totally loving sucked to be in co-op with a friend doing mindless quick missions while shooting the poo poo over discord only to get drugged and abducted into an unskippable cutscene followed by a mandatory "serious" mission.

It somehow always happened when we were 10 minutes from wrapping up for the evening too so it was either end early or spend the last while not having fun.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 3, 2021

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

the netcode for co op was also really bad. even on LAN i had crazy de-sync playing with friends

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

KirbyKhan posted:

I made that choice when I planted c4 on those bliss drums.

Edit: what poster said. Kidnapping me to start the climax sequence of a zone isn't what made them bad. It was that they were written dumb and insultingly.

And presented terribly, I know it's kind of the gimmick but having a character in a flat shot just exposit at you with pseudo intellectual bullshit is just the most boring way of telling your story. You gave us character customisation for some reason, make use of that and pull the camera out to third person in those sequences so you can structure them in an interesting way

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

screaden posted:

And presented terribly, I know it's kind of the gimmick but having a character in a flat shot just exposit at you with pseudo intellectual bullshit is just the most boring way of telling your story.

they did that poo poo too much in the intro to 3 as well. no kidnappings but the tutorial dragged on and most of it was spent listening to vaas spew a bunch of crap, which he also did during many of the main quest cutscenes. it seemed like the writers were particularly up their own asses on that one

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Man, I'm really liking New Dawn so far.
They did a great job with a lot of stuff but one thing I love is the attention to secondary and background animations.

The scene where the Twins give the kid a live grenade was horrifying. So much that the kid pees his pants. I don't normally go for that but it sure is realistic.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Fame Douglas posted:

Among other things, the progression structure that triggered kidnappings could cause a player to permanently skip/miss entire setpiece missions. They punished the player for exploring the open world of an open world game.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Discendo Vox posted:

Among other things, the progression structure that triggered kidnappings could cause a player to permanently skip/miss entire setpiece missions. They punished the player for exploring the open world of an open world game.

Conceptually yes, that is bad, bordering on unforgivable. Specifically in this game, dawg lemmie tell you, you ain't missing much. I got in to FC5 later and did a plan to not miss those missibles. The majority of them are variations on exploding barrels.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
I really did enjoy Far Cry 5 but it does belong in the same category of game the Borderlands 2 of being fun despite of its flaws. At least in the case of FC5 I know its the writing I hate where as BL2 is just a pile of bad everything that somehow balanced out into something good.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Deakul posted:

I still can't believe how bad 5's season pass was, it was advertised as totally off the wall poo poo and it was actually all garbage that they probably made in a month.

People hate on the Mars one but the zombie one takes a cute idea (bad horror movie pitches as setpiece action sequences) took out the best part of FC5's combat (being sneaky and tactical and rolling up on bases) and made it an absolutely terrible horde mode with bullet sponges and limited ammo. It was like anti-fun.

The Vietnam one is almost better than the main game because it's like a miniature version of it with no bad monologues, and New Dawn is a huge improvement also.

Is FC6 supposed to take place in the past or are they just gonna pretend the apocalypse didn't happen? I assumed like all other Ubi series they keep a loose canon running but destroying your setting is kind of limiting so I wonder if they address it at all.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Wolfsheim posted:

Is FC6 supposed to take place in the past or are they just gonna pretend the apocalypse didn't happen?

do the games even take place in one shared universe? i thought they were all completely disconnected stories/worlds. i cant think of any kind of overarching far cry story or "canon"

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Earwicker posted:

do the games even take place in one shared universe? i thought they were all completely disconnected stories/worlds. i cant think of any kind of overarching far cry story or "canon"

Haven't Hurk and the piss tape guy appeared in multiple games?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

oh yeah i guess he does but i thought that was just a character they thought was funny, i dont know that theres any more elaborate worldbuilding going on but then i avoid story poo poo in these games as much as possible anyway.

it always seemed to me that each game was a sort of "fresh start" in a sense but maybe thats just because the changes between 1 and 2 and then 2 and 3 seemed so drastic i assumed that was the mentality, even though the gameplay stopped changing as much after 3

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
lmao @ "shared universe"

Marvel garbage has really broken peoples' brains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Fame Douglas posted:

lmao @ "shared universe"

Marvel garbage has really broken peoples' brains.

:confused: what does marvel have to do with it