Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
These are individual games sold to appeal to new customers every time, why would they have some kind of "shared universe" at all.

Earwicker posted:

:confused: what does marvel have to do with it

Maybe you'll figure it out, keep thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Wolfsheim posted:

Haven't Hurk and the piss tape guy appeared in multiple games?

yeah. the games all take place in the same world(outside maybe 5 and new dawn)

[quote="Fame Douglas" post="515228688"]
These are individual games sold to appeal to new customers every time, why would they have some kind of "shared universe" at all.
[/quote

games can take place in the same world and poo poo. thats not exclusively a disney thing.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. the games all take place in the same world(outside maybe 5 and new dawn)

The real answer is that they don't take place "in the same world" at all, because there's no shared narrative.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

games can take place in the same world and poo poo. thats not exclusively a disney thing.

Yeah, but these don't in any meaningful way at all.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Fame Douglas posted:

because the other major open world series' by the same company do. i mean, ubisoft tries to appeal to new customers every time they come out with a new assassins creed game as well and they make a lot of changes to the gameplay correspondingly, but all of the AC games are very obviously in one shared universe with a continuous story. same with the watch dogs games.

the far cry games, except for a couple of characters, are not. but the idea is not exactly outlandish and your response is kind of weird

quote:

i dont particularly like marvel movies and havent watched most of them and the concept of shared universes has been a thing in gaming (and general nerd media) for a long time so im not sure what you are on about

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Watch Dogs doesn't really have much of a "shared world" either, just some nods to previous games. They do keep reusing elements.

AC does have it, by way of continuing their weird Isu/precursors backstory no one is interested in. It's very ancillary and hamfisted.

Earwicker posted:

i dont particularly like marvel movies and havent watched most of them and the concept of shared universes has been a thing in gaming (and general nerd media) for a long time so im not sure what you are on about

Maybe you'll get it after thinking about it some more.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 4, 2021

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Fame Douglas posted:

im not sure why you are so unwilling to explain what you meant but i'd rather just write you off as a dick and move on with my life thanks

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

Watch Dogs doesn't really have much of a "shared world" either, just some nods to previous games. They do keep reusing elements.

AC does have it, by way of continuing their weird Isu/precursors backstory no one is interested in. It's very ancillary and hamfisted.

There's a mission in WD2 where you literally work with the guy from the first one. They talk about the events in Chicago and how it relates to the not-Google company in 2. Dunno about Legion though.

I always treated the far cry games shared world like the James Bond continuity. Similar elements, maybe even the same characters, just dropped in to various stories they would like to tell that are unrelated.

Pre Craig era anyway.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Hurk has been in every far cry game since 3 and has an ongoing narrative and even kinda an arc. Willis has been in every game since 3 as well. its very clearly all set in the same world. idk if 5's ending is canon though idk.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Hurk's voice actor didn't get tapped for FC6 so seems like Ubi has decided to give the character a rest after wearing out his welcome in the Mars dlc.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i tried looking this poo poo up in far cry fan wiki and based on my research there it is sort of one shared universe but its a very sloppy and inconsistent one and the first game isn't part of it and the status of 2 and 6 are both unclear, while 3 through new dawn do have some continuity

i think part of the issue is that the first game was made by different people (the people who went on to make the crysis series) and then it took ubisoft some time to figure out what they wanted to do with fc

screaden posted:

There's a mission in WD2 where you literally work with the guy from the first one. They talk about the events in Chicago and how it relates to the not-Google company in 2. Dunno about Legion though.

pretty sure the guy from the first one was in legion as well, but i got bored and stopped that one before i got into much of the plot

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 4, 2021

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Shifty Pony posted:

Hurk's voice actor didn't get tapped for FC6 so seems like Ubi has decided to give the character a rest after wearing out his welcome in the Mars dlc.

Rip to a real one.

Like I'm a dude who digs Hurk. It is insane that they put like 6 hours of Hurk audio in a dlc and made it... bad.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
can't remember where I saw it but there was interview where one of the devs mentioned that FC6 will have some nods to other games and is more or less in the same universe but there's basically no way to tell the story they wanted to tell if the end of FC5 is canon so let's just pretend that never happened

Au Revoir Shosanna fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 4, 2021

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Far Cry 3 has a side-mission referencing to Assassin's Creed.
Watch Dogs has a side-mission also doing that.
Watch Dogs Legion has a character from The Division/2.
Breakpoint I think had an Assassin's Creed ref, and of course the Sam Fisher DLC.

So pretty much Ubisoft just play fast and loose with winks and nods.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Fame Douglas posted:

lmao @ "shared universe"

Marvel garbage has really broken peoples' brains.

Does a Biden stan really have room to talk lol

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

can't remember where I saw it but there was interview where one of the devs mentioned that FC6 will have some nods to other games and is more less in the same universe but there's basically no way to tell the story they wanted to tell if the end of FC5 is canon so let's just pretend that never happened

See I always like to see how they awkwardly try to reconcile or retcon these things, like how much they struggled to make the narrative make sense in AC between Desmond dying and the newer games, or how they awkwardly shoved the grim dark WD1 protagonist into the wacky millennial hacker prank game of WD2 for a weird side mission.

Other than just never setting another game after FC5 on the timeline it seems impossible so I was wondering if they were setting it earlier, pretending FC5 was someone's fever dream, using the 'walk away' ending or just ignoring it entirely:shrug:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Y'all have never heard of the Tommy Westphall Universe and the arguments for/against that, have you? People have put far more time and effort into this exact "shared universe" concept than you'd believe, and that argument began long before the MCU was even a concept on a white board.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i was thinking more about the kidnappings in 5 and how bad they sucked. You get kidnapped in 4 and taken to the arena, a single location they put a lot of effort into making a fun experience. i even went back and did all the challenges after. None of the rat-maze poo poo you had to do when you got kidnapped in 5 was ever good imo.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I'm the kidnapping sequence that happens when I'm flying a god damned plane.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Kidnapped, expounded at, allowed to escape is a dumb trope of most action film franchises. Stripping the character back to basics is a recurring trope of video games too. Doing it repeatedly in a single game with clockwork regularity is hilariously bad writing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

doingitwrong posted:

Kidnapped, expounded at, allowed to escape is a dumb trope of most action film franchises. Stripping the character back to basics is a recurring trope of video games too. Doing it repeatedly in a single game with clockwork regularity is hilariously bad writing.

The back to basics part of John’s bunker was one of my favorite set pieces in the game to be honest, the part where you have a bat, a pistol with six bullets in it and a roomful of bad guys to deal with kicked rear end.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

https://kotaku.com/heres-goldeneye-007-remade-from-the-ground-up-in-far-cr-1847040225

Is this enough to get me to reinstall FC5? Maybe...maybe.

The Far Cry Arcade thing always seemed like a cool idea that never really got off the ground. I didn't play it much because for every cool, well-balanced or interesting level there was five garbage maps slapped together but the potential was there. It kinda reminds me of Hitman's contracts mode in that way.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

pretty sure 3-New Dawn are more or less the same continuity. there’s references to poo poo in 3 and 4 in 5, same characters, and obviously New Dawn is a direct followup to 5’s ending including having the villain and main character from 5

2, who knows, I don’t think there’s really anything either way. No real reason to assume it’s not or that it is.

the more important point is that there’s no real reason to assume they’re married to that continuity and won’t just abandon it for 6. which they should, because it loving sucks

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Yeah, even though V’s story was clownshoes as gently caress if I paid too much attention to anything other than gleeful murder, it unquestionably got the ending, understood conceptually as “completely ruin this fictional world so nobody is tempted to try and use it after us” right.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
And then they used it afterwards. I got like 2 settlement beats into the game and what they did with the Montana map in New Dawn was just jaw droppingly pretty.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mandrel posted:

pretty sure 3-New Dawn are more or less the same continuity. there’s references to poo poo in 3 and 4 in 5, same characters, and obviously New Dawn is a direct followup to 5’s ending including having the villain and main character from 5

2, who knows, I don’t think there’s really anything either way. No real reason to assume it’s not or that it is.

the more important point is that there’s no real reason to assume they’re married to that continuity and won’t just abandon it for 6. which they should, because it loving sucks

Prosper Koussai from 2 is Longinus in 4.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

KirbyKhan posted:

And then they used it afterwards. I got like 2 settlement beats into the game and what they did with the Montana map in New Dawn was just jaw droppingly pretty.

I think New Dawn is my favorite FC game. I just did the big Seed mission and assume I'm closing in to the end of the game. It hasn't overstayed its welcome, grinding the expeditions is fun and now I have godsamn superpowers.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

its very good and a huge step up from 5. i prefer the longer games tho.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The side games (Blood Dragon, Primal, New Dawn) are better than the mainline games.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

no way. 4 is just fantastic and has really fun side-missions and drug-trips throughout.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
i've only played the mainline games but you fuckers are going to make me have to buy new dawn

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Buy Primal first. Have you ever wanted to chuck bags of bees at people while your pet badger savages them?

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 7, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Prosper Koussai from 2 is Longinus in 4.

Croccers posted:

Far Cry 3 has a side-mission referencing to Assassin's Creed.
Watch Dogs has a side-mission also doing that.
Watch Dogs Legion has a character from The Division/2.
Breakpoint I think had an Assassin's Creed ref, and of course the Sam Fisher DLC.

So pretty much Ubisoft just play fast and loose with winks and nods.

basicaly all their games are separate poo poo but outside the clancy games mostly sharing a universe sorta or some poo poo. watch dogs and assassins creed might exist in the same universe but outside some nods and one mission in wd1, it doesn't really matter. far cry is its own thing outside some easter eggs to rear end creed.

punishedkissinger posted:

no way. 4 is just fantastic and has really fun side-missions and drug-trips throughout.

yeah. i think 4 is great outside being kinda dumb with stealth poo poo and being clunky but i like the back story of the game and i like kyrat as a place. i also like how the rebels kinda suck because they are for the most part ex monarchists. and how Pagans army is mostly conscripts with coke and heroin problems.

Ubisoft has alot of problems but i love all the various little details in their games and poo poo.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Ubisoft has alot of problems but i love all the various little details in their games and poo poo.

The Division 1 audio logs were phenomenal at characterizing all the enemy factions, still my favorite use of collectibles in games.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I liked New Dawn way more than FC5 but it shares its predecessors penchant for a couple absolutely god-awful boss fights, including the final ones

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The Division 1 audio logs were phenomenal at characterizing all the enemy factions, still my favorite use of collectibles in games.

so are 2s. the division has issues but i genuinly like the world building alot of the times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TluKWjOxXvA

more info.

no hurk

animal companions but no guns for hire, least not the summon type ones.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

animal companions but no guns for hire, least not the summon type ones.

thats too bad it was one of the few things about 5 i really liked

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

The problem with Guns For Hire is that they take up the slots which are for Fangs For Hire, and there were only two of those for three Fangs

Serious oversight imho

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Netflix has ordered a Far Cry animated series along with a separate Blood Dragon series.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

LonsomeSon posted:

The problem with Guns For Hire is that they take up the slots which are for Fangs For Hire, and there were only two of those for three Fangs

Serious oversight imho

Cheeseburger was the best god damned bear and all of my criticism of this dumb game does not matter. You get to tear poo poo up with your dog and bear 11/10 Farcry of the Year All Years.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
leak of season pass ad

https://streamable.com/01cke2

you get to play as the baddies of past FCs. Vaas, Pagan and Joseph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Rinkles posted:

leak of season pass ad

https://streamable.com/01cke2

you get to play as the baddies of past FCs. Vaas, Pagan and Joseph.

I was going to tell myself I wouldn't be fooled into buying another Far Cry season pass but then I remembered I preordered the steelbook edition a year ago when Amazon accidentally priced it the same as the standard edition.