Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Wait, why in the gently caress not? That's some bullshit.

Their ingame justification is that it's because you're a cop and cops don't use stabbing weapons I guess???? (but yeah throwing knives and RPGs and flamethrowers are a-ok)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
:commissar:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Bears aren't exactly standard issue either

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Calaveron posted:

Bears aren't exactly standard issue either

:colbert:

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
honestly the more i hear about this game the more i think this will be the first one i skip. which is a shame cause the setting has so much potential.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

God bless Officer Tom O'Finland.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf1BP6hxg2M

:kimchi:

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I'm a bit confused on the co-op stuff with this. From what I read, only one player will get progress in their game, although the other player's character somehow gets some progress? But maybe not mission rewards?

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Wait wait wait

Do we get a dog?? Like, the dog follows me around and is my friend while I wander the wasteland midwest?

I can deal with the lack of stabbing if I have a doggo

e: Okay that video was cute but how tf are we supposed to parse "Care your dog"??

black.lion fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 20, 2018

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
I'm really close to preordering, but no knife? Am I supposed to just chain carotid chokes/necksnaps? Chain-murdering patrols was one of the most fun things in FC3/4/Blood Dragon. :unsmigghh: Devs obviously don't know that you need to gut the roadkill while it's fresh. (Not to mention the FC staple of skinning everything to make your advanced hairy smelly tactical load-bearing equipment.)

Also, how are they gonna gently caress you over for playing in the water features? I grew up in Montana, ain't no poisonous/fanged lizards around, and the trout and such aren't gonna suddenly franzy and shred anything bigger than a bug.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

I'm really close to preordering, but no knife? Am I supposed to just chain carotid chokes/necksnaps? Chain-murdering patrols was one of the most fun things in FC3/4/Blood Dragon. :unsmigghh: Devs obviously don't know that you need to gut the roadkill while it's fresh. (Not to mention the FC staple of skinning everything to make your advanced hairy smelly tactical load-bearing equipment.)

Also, how are they gonna gently caress you over for playing in the water features? I grew up in Montana, ain't no poisonous/fanged lizards around, and the trout and such aren't gonna suddenly franzy and shred anything bigger than a bug.

I think that they said that bears are the closest thing to water threats.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

black.lion posted:

Wait wait wait

Do we get a dog?? Like, the dog follows me around and is my friend while I wander the wasteland midwest?

e: Okay that video was cute but how tf are we supposed to parse "Care your dog"??

the ad was made for asian markets. the message is basically 'please dont forget to give your real dog attention when playing video games'

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 20, 2018

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Dumb ad but wuddacutepupper! :swoon:

black.lion posted:

Wait wait wait

It makes more sense in context of the entire sentence:

"Care your dog while fighting along Boomer"

:pseudo:

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

that's just as bad

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

I did see a shovel in the equipment screen. That seems like it’ll be a fun melee weapon.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
you guys are aware that a non-english speaker wrote it and it's never going to be shown on english language tv right?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

cubicle gangster posted:

you guys are aware that a non-english speaker wrote it and it's never going to be shown on english language tv right?

it's painfully obvious that a non-english speaker wrote it, yes

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Sorry you're in such pain.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

You guys just need to care your dogs, alright?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Deakul posted:

You guys just need to care your dogs, alright?

That should be the new 'hold your horses'.

'Hey, care your dog, alright?! Chill out."

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Deakul posted:

Their ingame justification is that it's because you're a cop and cops don't use stabbing weapons I guess????

Lmao well I guess that's technically true.

Orv
May 4, 2011
They murder a fuckton of cultists every day though.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Yea and there's like, baseball bats and blunt weapons but knives are just a step too far

thank god bears are fine.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I was a little worried so I checked out an outpost stealth takedown+bow video on YouTube and it looked pretty much like every other Far Cry game so I'm satisfied that I'll be getting what I expect and what has been cut isn't changing the fundamentals of the game.

Orv
May 4, 2011

PaybackJack posted:

I was a little worried so I checked out an outpost stealth takedown+bow video on YouTube and it looked pretty much like every other Far Cry game so I'm satisfied that I'll be getting what I expect and what has been cut isn't changing the fundamentals of the game.

As long as it still has the super cool grab + throw take down chain I'm not honestly annoyed or anything, it just seems like an odd choice to have to justify.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

PaybackJack posted:

Clearing outposts with nothing but a bow and arrow is the only reason I play these games. There are plenty of other FPS games with a bow and arrow but for some reason none of them are as satisfying as Far Cry. Kind of fine with this game being mostly identical to the other entries as long as they get that part right, and getting rid of the tedious stuff like tower climbing is a nice bonus.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
i feel like i'm the only person who liked climbing the towers haha. what did they replace them with? i assume you still need to unlock areas, because ubisoft.

Orv
May 4, 2011

botany posted:

i feel like i'm the only person who liked climbing the towers haha. what did they replace them with? i assume you still need to unlock areas, because ubisoft.

NPCs and environmental clues, according to them.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

botany posted:

i feel like i'm the only person who liked climbing the towers haha.

You mean flying to the top with a helicopter?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Yea and there's like, baseball bats and blunt weapons but knives are just a step too far

thank god bears are fine.

Bears have like five claws per paw so you're essentially trading out carrying a knife to have a buddy with twenty knives strapped to him on a permanent basis

Orv
May 4, 2011

Songbearer posted:

Bears have like five claws per paw so you're essentially trading out carrying a knife to have a buddy with twenty knives strapped to him on a permanent basis

"Knife bear" is a depressingly uninteresting Google search, I'm afraid to report.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Wait there won't be knife kills at all?

I thought they just meant like, no Spears or that sort of thing.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I’m the deputy using bear to maul people and dropping molotovs but avoiding knives to not be brutal as a government representative.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm a bit tired of the Ubi formula by this point but let's see. If it's fun to shoot crazy rednecks in the face with big guns that's pretty much good enough for me.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

It really bugs me how a lot of the gun models are from 4, which were also from 3. In fact most of what Ive seen looks fairly identical to those and Id kind of had enough half way through 4. They should totally do a new Far Cry Instincts game

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Vahakyla posted:

I’m the deputy using bear to maul people and dropping molotovs but avoiding knives to not be brutal as a government representative.

you're lying if you don't think an actual cop would use this defence

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Xander77 posted:

You get to choose your character, so I imagine the protagonist will (somehow) have even less personality than AJ.

personally I find that a good thing, reminds me of FC 2 which is still in many ways my favorite even though it is jankier than the other games.

to me the main appeal in these games is taking out outposts and exploring, most of the actual characters are kind of annoying (outside of Blood Dragon) and their personalities are best kept to a minimum

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Earwicker posted:

personally I find that a good thing, reminds me of FC 2 which is still in many ways my favorite even though it is jankier than the other games.

to me the main appeal in these games is taking out outposts and exploring, most of the actual characters are kind of annoying (outside of Blood Dragon) and their personalities are best kept to a minimum

2 is still my favorite Far Cry and it’s a huge part of why I have such a soft spot for the series. It was so oppressive and grim. Exploring for diamonds made purchases have some weight, too, since I couldn’t go grind cash.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

cubicle gangster posted:

the ad was made for asian markets. the message is basically 'please dont forget to give your real dog attention when playing video games'

I mean okay I will I GUESS

But to ask my question more directly:

I get videogame dog? Yes?

I've deliberately been avoiding info about this game - do I get a dog or not? Do I get a bear?! Can I ride the bear?? CAN MY DOG RIDE THE BEAR?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yes. Yes. Probably not. Sadly no.