Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

OhNoLookOutRUN posted:

So what would be a good place to start for someone that's never soldered anything in their life and has no idea how circuits work or how to read a schematic? Would I be best off buying and trying to build a kit and learning as I go? Or doing some kind of basic electronics hobbyist poo poo to get accustomed to soldering and working with circuits? How much knowledge and skill does someone need to build a basic boost or fuzz or whatnot? OP has a lot of good stuff in it, but I had to look up what veroboard was and I still don't know what an opamp is.

Brian Wampler has made his How to Modify Guitar Pedals book available for free since it's out of print now and absurdly expensive for a paperback:

https://www.reddit.com/r/diypedals/comments/7p0jof/brian_wampler_pdf/

The link is on that reddit page (sorry for reddit link). It has a really great intro on the various components involved in making pedals and has simple mods you can do to pedals you may already own to really make 'em shine.

First projects are usually a kit and are usually a boost or a fuzz (I prefer making a fuzz just because it's a bit more ridiculous-sounding than a boost). The simplest fuzz circuit, and one usually used to teach pedal-building, is the Bazz Fuss (or Bazz Fuzz in this case) circuit. I like Fuzzdog's kits even though they are in the UK and I'm in the US. They just have the best stuff and the prices are better than domestic suppliers like Mammoth or GGG.

That said, I would recommend building this: https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/Bazz_Fuzz/p847124_6346768.aspx

As far as soldering is concerned, try watching some tutorial videos on youtube (most of them are short because soldering is a very basic task that doesn't take long to teach) and then practice with some wires, soldering them together. When you're more comfortable buy some "perfboard" (used for making home circuits... literally perforated copper board) and try soldering bits of wire onto it cleanly and securely.

Any other questions ask here or feel free to pm me. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Sometime this week I will have the final pieces and then I can see if this old Vox Wah works or not.

Still need to find a pin to hold the top to bottom. Guess I'll have to measure and find a short piece of steel rod.

When whoever pulled it apart, they snipped the wires at the switch, so what remains is still long enough to solder to the new switch. At the pot, they cut the wires just short enough I'll have to replace them. Luckily I have a yellow that's close enough in color, but I don't seem to have any light blue, so that's probably cutting the value in half to a collector. Same for the battery clip, which is no big deal because the new clip has long enough leads to replace the old pieces.

I found a pair of the "tropical fish" caps and will replace both, mostly so they match visually. Also picked up some rubber feet and a cable clip(had to buy a fricken bag of them) to use to hold the rack against gear.

Total cost is $52 so far.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I'm so glad this thread exists.
I'm not sure when I'll be ready to take the dive into diy poo poo but this is all fascinating.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
So I'm building a bleep bloop box:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BhnhIRDnYux/

I was shying away from building a full-blown x0xb0x due to the cost and scale of the undertaking, but the heart board is 80 bucks and is pretty straightforward to drive with an arduino and a little bit of glue circuitry. So at this point all I need to do is finish the MIDI part of it and put it in a pretty case, for which I've got a big chunky hammond enclosure sitting on the shelf :getin:

Also still waiting on a screen and push buttons off the hongkong slow boat but those are nonessential.

snorch fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 18, 2018

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

snorch posted:

I was shying away from building a full-blown x0xb0x due to the cost and scale of the undertaking, but the heart board is 80 bucks and is pretty straightforward to drive with an arduino and a little bit of glue circuitry. So at this point all I need to do is finish the MIDI part of it and put it in a pretty case, for which I've got a big chunky hammond enclosure sitting on the shelf :getin:

Also still waiting on a screen and push buttons off the hongkong slow boat but those are nonessential.

That sounds amazingly close! Holy acid, Batman!

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
Just finished a new build; a modified version of a Jext Telez White Pedal:

I swapped out some of the spec'ed transistors for higher gains ones (and re-biased to compensate) and put in a Fasel wah inductor, added a "mid" control pot in place of the original 3-position switch. I also added a momentary footswitch that bypasses the bass control completely, hollowing out the sound and creating a cool 'telephone' effect (kinda like the beginning of Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd).

The finish came about from a coat of white that didn't turn out well. I started to sand it down to repaint it, and midway through I kinda liked how it started to look, so I decided to just run with it and give it a worn look. I did a wipe-off paint effect on top as well to age it further, then clear-coated the whole thing.

I've only played around with the completed pedal a little bit, but so far I'm really diggin it!

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
That's really cool.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

JohnnySmitch posted:

Just finished a new build; a modified version of a Jext Telez White Pedal:

I swapped out some of the spec'ed transistors for higher gains ones (and re-biased to compensate) and put in a Fasel wah inductor, added a "mid" control pot in place of the original 3-position switch. I also added a momentary footswitch that bypasses the bass control completely, hollowing out the sound and creating a cool 'telephone' effect (kinda like the beginning of Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd).

The finish came about from a coat of white that didn't turn out well. I started to sand it down to repaint it, and midway through I kinda liked how it started to look, so I decided to just run with it and give it a worn look. I did a wipe-off paint effect on top as well to age it further, then clear-coated the whole thing.

I've only played around with the completed pedal a little bit, but so far I'm really diggin it!

Wow I own the real thing and it is one of my most favorite fuzzes ever. I hadn't realized diysb had traced it. I kinda feel like building a modded one similar to yours even though I already have one.

Love that enclosure, too.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

When you have lovely handwriting but have to write out a schematic*:

Left out the diode in the C-B junction, though. This is basically a DOD 250/MXR Distortion+ but with a Darlington pair instead of an op-amp. Darlington pair is made of MPSA18s. Added some negative feedback, asymmetrical hard clippers and the aforementioned C-B diode. I like it much better than the original circuit but this was mostly just a way to learn,

*of a modified Electra Distortion

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Any of you guys have a go to treble booster schem? Or do i just stick a tiny input cap in my favourite boost (its the lpb)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

field balm posted:

Any of you guys have a go to treble booster schem? Or do i just stick a tiny input cap in my favourite boost (its the lpb)

Rangemaster + any mods you want to make:

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_geb_all_instruct.pdf

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Anyone know if the Maxon BBD chips are available as just chips? Dang they sound good. I guess they took over panasonic's designs when panasonic stopped making them.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

JamesKPolk posted:

Anyone know if the Maxon BBD chips are available as just chips? Dang they sound good. I guess they took over panasonic's designs when panasonic stopped making them.

It depends. If it's anything other than the AD999 it uses standard MN-series clones such as:

http://www.smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/mn3005-re-makes-xvive-audio/
http://www.smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/ic-v3205-v3102/

But the 999 is a rough beast that uses 8(!!) MC4107D chips and 21 24 trimpots. I don't have much more information about that chip or where to find replacements.

Also, here's the clock driver that CoolAudio makes:
http://www.smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/ic-v3102d/

That XVive Audio chip being $22US is pretty :monocle:

edit: lol can you imagine having to dial this fucker in holy poo poo.

(Maxon AD999)

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 20, 2018

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Yep I meant the AD999. Tbh I'm not surprised its something like that but omg no thanks. Guy @ the store told me they were in-house versions of panasonic stuff but that wouldn't be the first time he's told me something that sounded good but was... off.

Had NO idea about the Xvive 3005 clones, guess I should take another look through Smallbear! Their vactrols are nice though apparently imperfect on a scope (for complex oscillator stuff so w/e). 20 a chip sucks though but it would be cool to have the extra headroom vs the 3205 (I'm considering them specifically for a chorus/ensemble thing basically).

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Thanks for the cool thread here guys, I'm new to fiddling with any kind of electronics so I'm starting with something pretty simple (I think). I want to build a noise box (something like this or this) that has built in sensors to work in conjunction with a Koma Field Kit and other electronics (Doepfer Dark Energy, looking to incorporate more semi-modular stuff). I have the field kit, a bunch of sensors and piezos, and most of it seems to be simple enough to build (attaching springs, strings, etc, I can wire a jack), but I'm mostly stuck on finding a good way to wire up the sensors so that i can toggle between them, and hopefully not have a thousand different arduino jumper wires sticking out. Anyone have any advice on this?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

ricecult posted:

Thanks for the cool thread here guys, I'm new to fiddling with any kind of electronics so I'm starting with something pretty simple (I think). I want to build a noise box (something like this or this) that has built in sensors to work in conjunction with a Koma Field Kit and other electronics (Doepfer Dark Energy, looking to incorporate more semi-modular stuff). I have the field kit, a bunch of sensors and piezos, and most of it seems to be simple enough to build (attaching springs, strings, etc, I can wire a jack), but I'm mostly stuck on finding a good way to wire up the sensors so that i can toggle between them, and hopefully not have a thousand different arduino jumper wires sticking out. Anyone have any advice on this?

http://www.smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/rotary-switches-1/

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Awesome thanks!
The sensor connections are ground, data, and +5 volts, would I be connecting all of them to a rotary switch, which would then connect to the Koma?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

ricecult posted:

Awesome thanks!
The sensor connections are ground, data, and +5 volts, would I be connecting all of them to a rotary switch, which would then connect to the Koma?

How many sensors do you have to toggle between?

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

How many sensors do you have to toggle between?

More than I need, I'd like to get 3 or 4 hooked up, any extra is candy.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

ricecult posted:

More than I need, I'd like to get 3 or 4 hooked up, any extra is candy.

I imagine they could all just share a common ground rail and +5 rail and the rotary switch would toggle between data? Does that make sense?

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I imagine they could all just share a common ground rail and +5 rail and the rotary switch would toggle between data? Does that make sense?

Yes, thanks for your help, I'm going to keep researching and pick a couple of my friends' brains on some details in making this happen. Whenever it's all done I'll definitely post it here.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

ricecult posted:

Yes, thanks for your help, I'm going to keep researching and pick a couple of my friends' brains on some details in making this happen. Whenever it's all done I'll definitely post it here.

Actually, I think a 2P6T is what you're after since it's helpful to common ground everything anyhow. This way you can switch the +5 and Data (the 2 poles) among 6 different sensors:

http://www.smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/open-frame-2p6t/

I was looking at 3P6T switches and they get ridiculously expensive.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Actually, I think a 2P6T is what you're after since it's helpful to common ground everything anyhow. This way you can switch the +5 and Data (the 2 poles) among 6 different sensors:

http://www.smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/open-frame-2p6t/

I was looking at 3P6T switches and they get ridiculously expensive.

Wow thank you! The Koma Field Kit has a +5 out through a jumper wire, does that mean if I soldered that to the 2P6T it would provide +5 to whichever sensor it was connected to?

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

I want to try to get into making pedals, but I have very little soldering experience. Would I be better off starting out with trying to mod a few cheaper ones that I have first to get my feet wet, or should I just jump in and try making one from scratch? If the latter, would something like a TubeScreamer be too difficult for a first try?

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Danyull posted:

I want to try to get into making pedals, but I have very little soldering experience. Would I be better off starting out with trying to mod a few cheaper ones that I have first to get my feet wet, or should I just jump in and try making one from scratch? If the latter, would something like a TubeScreamer be too difficult for a first try?

Buy a boost kit and a fuzz kit to get started. Something like a fuzz face has a good low part count. Overdrives in general are a bit much first up. Here is a really good place to order from:
https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Also, getting used to soldering won't take long. These are some dece videos to get you confident:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwU9SqO0udU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqvHogekDI4

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

snorch posted:

Kinda curious about this if you wouldn't mind sharing! What did you end up doing for the case design? & How'd you incorporate the arduino and screen? Just homebrewed stuff?

Looking for a x0xb0x alternative project and I like the sound of these better.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Also can I chain shift registers like clock dividers? Like two 16 bits with 1 feeding the other equals a 32 bit?

I think that works but if I'm misunderstanding something its on the level I'm not gonna catch til its too late

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

JamesKPolk posted:

Kinda curious about this if you wouldn't mind sharing! What did you end up doing for the case design? & How'd you incorporate the arduino and screen? Just homebrewed stuff?

Looking for a x0xb0x alternative project and I like the sound of these better.

I haven't had time to work on it lately but the plan is to house it in a larger hammond case. The arduino part is as straightforward as it gets: I'm using a sparkfun dac breakout to drive the pitch CV, and all the digital inputs on the x0x-heart are set up so that they can simply be connected to the Arduino'sdigital pins directly.

Display and MIDI are still a to-do. The plan is to have about 20 slots of pattern storage, with sequential note entry via MIDI, and maybe a few scatter-style pattern fx.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'm thinking about building an amp kit: https://modulusamplification.com/Tweed-deluxe-kit-12-Watt-Output-P2173361.aspx

I've done some house electrics (wiring up sockets), consumer electrics (plugs, fuses) and soldering (guitars, brass models) before, but the whole 'DEADLY VOLTAGES EVEN WHEN TURNED OFF' is worrying me a bit.

Has anyone done this? Any anecdotes to share?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yea unless you know what you’re doing I wouldn’t. They are not kidding about the voltages/current that can kill long after you’ve turned it off.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I've been watching a bunch of Look Mum No Computer and I'm going to check out my local makerspace for some help making a super simple oscillator.

Does anybody here mess with video synthesis? How do I get started without spending thousands of dollars?

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

TVsVeryOwn posted:

I've been watching a bunch of Look Mum No Computer and I'm going to check out my local makerspace for some help making a super simple oscillator.

Does anybody here mess with video synthesis? How do I get started without spending thousands of dollars?

Synthrotek has a 555 kit that is great soldering practice

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Built a couple. Read up on safety, learn how to safely discharge caps and read voltage, and keep your space organized. Safety is entirely about not skipping steps, ever, and if you follow a pattern of “check plugs, check voltage, safe discharge, check voltage, begin work” religiously, you’ll be all right. Build that habit, and never deviate, because safety is key.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Went to the makerspace. Was gonna do some soldering, but I couldn't scrounge up parts that did anything, so I messed with a littleBits Synth Kit. Being a kid now would be rad. I remember the basic electronics kit I had as a kid had speaker-wire-type connection and stranded wires.

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

Synthrotek has a 555 kit that is great soldering practice

Is there a next step you'd get from there or a somewhere selling similar stuff in Canada? I have a philosophical objection to paying more than half the price of an order for shipping.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Weird question, but has anyone ever heard of a potato-powered overdrive pedal? A scream tuber, if you will.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Weird question, but has anyone ever heard of a potato-powered overdrive pedal? A scream tuber, if you will.

You can power a Maestro FZ-1a fuzz with two potatoes (assuming one potato = ~.8v, the FZ-1a runs at 1.5v). gently caress, now I have to make this.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
are you gonna use those little red ones as a voltage starved supply?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I have a question for this thread! I have a Vox Pathfinder 10. The amp itself is good, but the speaker is rubbish. I'm going to wire a jack to the speaker connector so I can run the amp through a real cab. I've used it through a cabsim with good results and gently caress it, I might actually use it for once if I can run it through a cab.

My question is the current speaker (6" POS) is rated at 8 Ohms. My cab is 16 Ohms. It's all solid state. Any danger running the amp through the cab? I was always under the impression anything higher is fine (but may run it at a lower output) and under is bad.

Advice? Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

syntaxfunction posted:

I have a question for this thread! I have a Vox Pathfinder 10. The amp itself is good, but the speaker is rubbish. I'm going to wire a jack to the speaker connector so I can run the amp through a real cab. I've used it through a cabsim with good results and gently caress it, I might actually use it for once if I can run it through a cab.

My question is the current speaker (6" POS) is rated at 8 Ohms. My cab is 16 Ohms. It's all solid state. Any danger running the amp through the cab? I was always under the impression anything higher is fine (but may run it at a lower output) and under is bad.

Advice? Thanks.

The power amplifier chip in that is the TDA2030A which is designed for 4Ω and 8Ω output. 16Ω should work but will possibly alter your tone and give you a loss of output.