Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Interesting! I am pretty sure I'm (or my partner rather) grabbing a cab capable of 8 Ohms soon so I'll give it a whirl in both configurations. I was definitely expecting lower output but it might be a neat comparison!

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Question for y'all. I cracked open an old Korg AX1G multieffects pedal I got for free many years ago, trying to figure out if there's a way to replace the pedal that's built into the housing of the device. Most of the effects on it are pretty bad, but I like the filter and the ring mod--the problem is that the lovely plastic pedal is so stiff and creaky that it makes using them with any kind of expressiveness impossible. The pedal electronics turn out to be pretty weird, as instead of just a potentionmeter or whatever it turns out it works by an LED and light sensor (on the right side in the first pic) that the plastic housing then obstructs to a greater or lesser extent. So I thought maybe I'd build some kind of housing around that and use a piece of cardboard or something that could be adjusted to let more or less of the LED through.

That's not the problem. The problem is that the display just fell completely off the board when I opened it up. I think maybe there was some kind of adhesive on it in the past, or it was just held in place by the housing. Anyhow, the display is weird to me as well--it seems to consist just of this little glass screen and some rubber strips that need to press into the board and the screen to make it work. I could get it to work briefly by pressing it onto the board, but have no way to keep it there, or keep the pieces together. Any ideas on if the screen could be replaced and what kinds of parts would be needed to replace it? I'm probably just going to chuck the board in the trash, but it would be fun to try to salvage it if it is possible.

Where the screen sat

Glass screen and rubber strip. A black piece of foamy stuff sat on top of the board below the screen, and there was a piece of paper between them that functioned to provide some whiteness to offset the digital display. There was another rubber strip that ran along the top side.

Dr. Video Games 0081 fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 20, 2018

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

That screen is probably a non-standard part which means calling Korg. The treadle is an “optical wah” style using an led and LDR (light dependent resistors). There are many wahs that use style of detective treadle motion.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
A while back I accidentally snapped the usb port off my MPK mini, and while I was inside trying to fix it I noticed there's lots of empty space. So I jammed a Pi in it loaded with samplerbox, stuck a small Dayton Audio exciter on the inside, and got one of those $2 amp boards off of ebay. In the end my hope is to make it entirely self-contained. The last real issue I'm having is getting it to load samples off a USB stick as designed, but otherwise it's finally alive!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hihGWfbnyV0

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

That's awesome and the same thing happened to my mpk mini, might try to do something similar if I can find my old electronics stuff

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Yeah the whole concept of attaching the USB port like that is terrible. I ended up having to find other points on the board to solder to because the pads were FUBAR. I also fried the first amp somehow and had to wait nearly a month for another one off the slow boat.

With a bit of python elbow grease I hope to add soundfont support, so stay tuned!

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I don't know anything about pedals and am only mildly competent at soldering, but are there any basic troubleshooting methods I can use to try and fix a broken Ibanez DE-7 delay? It worked fine for a decade+, but then it sat in a closet for years and no longer works, whether on battery or wall power.

The LED works, and about half the time you can get a heavily fuzzed out guitar tone through it, whether the pedal is engaged or not. Turning the knobs has no effect on this sound, and there is no echo or delay. The rest of the time, zero signal passes through the pedal.

I'm sure fixing it is beyond my skills, but it couldn't hurt to try.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The simplest way to troubleshoot it is with an audio probe. An audio probe is a guitar cable where you modify one end so that you can probe at different parts of the circuit to see where it all went wrong. This and other essential info is covered here:

https://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/debug.html

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 3, 2018

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

An audio probe is a guitar cake

If only :allears:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Snowy posted:

If only :allears:

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
After a series of setbacks including frying the dac and temporarily losing my arduino files to Windows fuckery this x0x box is back on track! The case is taking shape, with the cutoff knob mounted at the edge for easy twiddling:

It also receives and plays MIDI notes more or less in tune, though for some reason note off doesn't seem to be working. So next step is to transfer it all to the final case, and to work out the bugs.

e: the current case:

snorch fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 2, 2018

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Mmm cake.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I need to work on the tuning and the wires to the pots need redoing, but it works!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acdHHIB2f4M

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

snorch posted:

I need to work on the tuning and the wires to the pots need redoing, but it works!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acdHHIB2f4M

roooolz :catdrugs:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Is it worth making guitar/patch cables?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
if you're doing more than like 40-50ft worth it is

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Got any vendors to recommend?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
has anyone built the lazy sprocket (slow gear clone)? i don't know if it's my playing technique or some fucky wiring, but the decay stutters out strangely, especially on the higher strings. i've adjusted the trimpot the best i could.

the swell on attack works decently, at least. i built it a few years ago and revisited it. man was my soldering trash back then. i can include pictures of the rat's nest if that's necessary

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

has anyone built the lazy sprocket (slow gear clone)? i don't know if it's my playing technique or some fucky wiring, but the decay stutters out strangely, especially on the higher strings. i've adjusted the trimpot the best i could.

the swell on attack works decently, at least. i built it a few years ago and revisited it. man was my soldering trash back then. i can include pictures of the rat's nest if that's necessary

Gutshots help. Preferably clear and close up. Sometimes a thing like the wrong revision of a chip or a wrong cap value is all it is.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Question for Bhabi and anyone else who can help. I'm moving my poo poo to a new place some time and I'm thinking about amps.

What I want is a shelving system for my heads (4 at the moment but ever increasing) that I can just plug into and play. But what I do want is to be able to use the FX loops. Unfortunately with a shelving system I'd have to pull it out of it's cranny and pug in/unplug every time.

So I was thinking about a small box that you sit on top of the amp that plugs into the loop and extends in. Preferably with a built in buffer.

https://imgur.com/a/RZEIkLb

Like that. Anyone know of anything that does this? Or failing that how hard would it be to build, and is anyone interested in helping me out? Obviously I would pay for them.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

I built a thing!
It's a sensor selector to switch which sensor I'm sending to the Koma Field Kit (which then sends it out CV to synths, the Field Kit FX, DC motors etc). It's a small circuit (in the blue box in the pictures) that is powered off the FK, and the sensor outputs are selected via the rotary switch. This way I'm able to switch between sensors without fumbling between wires and with easier calibrating. The sensors (light, sound, temperature, pulse, and pressure) are mounted around this soundbox/guitar/zither thing that my friend and I built (sound picked up by a humbucker and some piezos, knobs to the right side are volume, tone, and blend), so I can control various things while I'm plucking around.
Much thanks to the thread for pointing the way, and even though this is neither pretty nor fancy, I hope it's a little inspiring to anyone on the fence as to starting to DIY. I'm a science/math/building idiot, so if I can do it, you can do it!
No video or audio at the moment, but here are some pictures to get the idea.

Edit: I'm also interested if anyone has any experience with the Olegtron 4060. I just ordered it the other day, excited to use it as a way to learn more about electronics. Anyone have any experience with it, or tips?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ricecult fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 5, 2019

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

syntaxfunction posted:

What I want is a shelving system for my heads (4 at the moment but ever increasing) that I can just plug into and play. But what I do want is to be able to use the FX loops. Unfortunately with a shelving system I'd have to pull it out of it's cranny and pug in/unplug every time.

I had a sort of similar problem with too many heads and not enough cabs. Couldn't find a speaker patch bay, so I just used Planet Waves female/female 1/4" adapters: https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-Female-Stereo-Coupler/dp/B0002E52S4 Ran short speaker cables from the back of the amp, through the handle on top or wherever. Plugged long cables from the cabs into the f/f adapters. Not elegant but it worked.

Wouldn't give you a buffer, but it might suffice until you find something.

Analogman would build you one but it probably wouldn't be cheap. On his page about it he recommends that if you're trying to buffer a line-level effects loop, you might want to run it at 18v for headroom. http://www.analogman.com/buffer.htm Looks like his buffers run $89, and it'd probably be a couple extra bucks to add another pair of jacks that just pass signal through.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

ricecult posted:

I built a thing!
I don't know jack about what it is or what it really does (even after reading yr post,) but I can say with certainty that it is loving cool as hell.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

ricecult posted:

I built a thing!
It's a sensor selector to switch which sensor I'm sending to the Koma Field Kit (which then sends it out CV to synths, the Field Kit FX, DC motors etc). It's a small circuit (in the blue box in the pictures) that is powered off the FK, and the sensor outputs are selected via the rotary switch. This way I'm able to switch between sensors without fumbling between wires and with easier calibrating. The sensors (light, sound, temperature, pulse, and pressure) are mounted around this soundbox/guitar/zither thing that my friend and I built (sound picked up by a humbucker and some piezos, knobs to the right side are volume, tone, and blend), so I can control various things while I'm plucking around.
Much thanks to the thread for pointing the way, and even though this is neither pretty nor fancy, I hope it's a little inspiring to anyone on the fence as to starting to DIY. I'm a science/math/building idiot, so if I can do it, you can do it!
No video or audio at the moment, but here are some pictures to get the idea.

Edit: I'm also interested if anyone has any experience with the Olegtron 4060. I just ordered it the other day, excited to use it as a way to learn more about electronics. Anyone have any experience with it, or tips?

Holy gently caress dude. This should have its own thread.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Post some video of that mothafucka in action!

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Made a quick and dirty video, just for you folks!
Just a cellphone video, so not particularly good quality audio or anything, but you do get to see my sweet little kitty.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-OyjaZWdjU

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
Ah that is very cool.

Ok so I've been putting together a few kits, mostly Synthrotek (division 6 business card sequencer is in the mail right now!), and I'm wondering if jumping to one of the bigger MFOS PCBs (Sound LabMiini or the Experimentation Board in particular) will be too steep of a learning curve for me. I'm still figuring out how everything works and interacts on the circuit. I've been having trouble finding something that seems worth my time and money that is in between a noise generator/fx processor and a semi modular synth. Should I tinker some more before taking the plunge into a bigger project like that or will it be a good learning experience?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Gutshots help. Preferably clear and close up. Sometimes a thing like the wrong revision of a chip or a wrong cap value is all it is.

i took a closer look at it, i think my soldering was sloppy enough that rebuilding from scratch may be better than straight up troubleshooting.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Picked up a horn speaker for five bucks and I think this is going places :getin:

snorch fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jan 13, 2019

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

snorch posted:

Picked up a horn speaker for five bucks and I think this is going places :getin:

Got any video?

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FwGtfmPXjo

I'm a synth player and just picked up the controller a few weeks ago, so I'm learning to play as I go.

For generating the sound, I've been writing a physical modeling synth a la Yamaha's VL tech from the 90s. Right now it's all in Reaper JSFX, but ultimately the plan is to make it all embedded to have a self-contained unit I can play without being tethered to cables, but before I do that there are still a few kinks and glitches I need to work out.

snorch fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 13, 2019

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

that rules snorch. keep us updated!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That is so awesome.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Thanks, posted this a few places and the positive resonance is very encouraging! Chet Singer's physical modeling tutorial has proven to be extremely valuable, but beyond that I've spent countless hours poring over papers, theses and patents to get it to this point.

My hope is to get the hardware as well as my skills to the point where I can go out busking with it by the time the weather warms back up. I just fixed the pops Todos include:

- Get the thing in tune. This currently involves tuning every note by hand, though eventually I hope to automate it.
- Tweak the tone to be more true to the character of a real sax, which probably means I need to brush up on my filter theory a bit more.
- Get the sound moving, less static. A lot of the subtlety of a real sax comes from minute and steady change in things like embrochure, throat shape, spit ingress, etc.
- Find something more permanent than zip ties to attach the horn, while keeping it as nondestructive as possible.

That and the whole fact that I'll need to reimplement the whole thing in C for the stm32, though I'm really loving the quick prototyping workflow within reaper for trying out ideas for now.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

that's is awesome! i'm super interested in this especially:

snorch posted:

- Get the thing in tune. This currently involves tuning every note by hand, though eventually I hope to automate it.

i guess mostly i don't understand how/why you would need to tune it manually, given that you in theory know what frequency each note corresponds to. is it because of the overlapping harmonics to make it sound more sax-like, or is it simpler than that and just that because you're writing your own synth you have to tell it what each note is? or am i way off base and it's something totally different?

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
The short answer is that frequency dependent phase shifts introduced by filters in the feedback path effectively create additional delay not accounted for when tuning the waveguide delay to the desired wavelength. This also inhibits some of the upper harmonics which currently gives the whole sound a sort of melodica character. The issue is further complicated by the fact that tweaking those filters changes the phase shift. I'm sure there's some clever way to calculate that exactly, but I'm not quite there yet. Yamaha had an auto tune function for their VL synths to work around it, so maybe I'll look into that.

snorch fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 14, 2019

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

ohhh, that makes sense. cool! i can't wait to see how things progress!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I build stuff.
Amps, pedals, guitars, etc...

This is a Tele I built for a TDPRI build off one year. I didn't win:(
I built everything except the pickups/electronics and bridge saddles/tuners from scratch.
I also hid the screws as much as I could any access covers are held on with magnets.

This is my first 100% scratch build
The neck is way too fat someday I'll shave it down.

A selection of pedals from left to right
LPB-1, green ringer, 4MS Fuzz Jade, 4MS Noise Swash, ugly face.

I'll post more later on when imgur decides to co-operate better.

I also recently have been finding a lot of good stuff in dumpsters and fixing it up most things have something small wrong with them.

Thumposaurus fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 15, 2019

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Holy cats. You machined for tuning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

No the black ones tuners are some fender branded ones I got cheap off of ebay.
I buy engraved platters from the thrift store and use them for pick guards and various other flat metal parts.

These two have the same treatment the bodies were both found wood and I built the necks as vintage style one piece necks.

Also have a Fuzz Factory clone