Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
I went through and reflowed some joints in the amp. I was having a little fuzziness and there were a couple of bad joints. I was nervous about leaving the top open with my pets and baby around, so I added a chassis cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I have that same keffiyeh dustcover!

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

JamesKPolk posted:

I have that same keffiyeh dustcover!

It's weirdly the perfect size to cover my shelf full of stuff. Previously I think I was using a beach towel, but that's on the bass board now

Ah much better

Armacham fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 18, 2023

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Built myself a dual joystick module, out of Arduino thumbsticks at my local electronics shop. By default they transmit 0-5v on both the X and Y axes, which through my O/A/x2 I have offset to -2.5v/+2.5v.

The joysticks have switches built in, but they need a pull-up resistor and they go from *on to off*, so I'd need a way to invert that. Might be a project for the future, along with building in CV amplification, offset and attenuation. For now, though, they're super fun little performance tools! :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

RocketMermaid posted:

Built myself a dual joystick module, out of Arduino thumbsticks at my local electronics shop. By default they transmit 0-5v on both the X and Y axes, which through my O/A/x2 I have offset to -2.5v/+2.5v.

The joysticks have switches built in, but they need a pull-up resistor and they go from *on to off*, so I'd need a way to invert that. Might be a project for the future, along with building in CV amplification, offset and attenuation. For now, though, they're super fun little performance tools! :)

bad rear end. need raspberry pi module with screen to go along with it so i can game

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Sooooo ... what can I do with a dumpstered Hammond organ? Asking for a friend.

My quick searching tells me it's a '69-70 organ and one of the last drawbar organs. I don't really know what this means except the B3 is the ultimate in drawbars and this probably isn't worth much.

Haven't opened it up yet, kinda wondering ... the power cord is dry rotted. Going to get a fused power cord tomorrow and try turning it on for a second unless somebody here dissuades me.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 22, 2023

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Is it solid state or tube? You could probably salvage stuff to make some sort of amp.

Also you should look into making a current limiting device like Uncle Doug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRFRwOnLsZI

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Armacham posted:

Is it solid state or tube? You could probably salvage stuff to make some sort of amp.

Also you should look into making a current limiting device like Uncle Doug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRFRwOnLsZI

I'm going to open it up tomorrow, I'm kinda excited. I have never looked into drawbar organs before, didn't realize they were a quasi mechanical tone generator. I was vaguely hoping there was some electronics hardware in here I could use, I don't know. It's definitely suffered a little damage before it was left on the curb. Probably nothing of any use to me, I may just leave it in the garage for now. But if there's a way to control it with 5v control voltage I'm on it.

Okay, I think the sound generator for this organ is transistorized, which I guess means it isn't a drawbar organ. Still not clear.

Just got a bunch of connectors in the mail, looks like this is a cable soldering kinda week.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 23, 2023

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Easy to open, and the screws weren't very tight.

Everything looks incredible in there

These do not look like the original speakers:

Okay, this is kind of exciting. Can anybody tell me what it is I'm seeing? I think I saw some mention of some of the older ones using transistors that it would be impossible to replace, I think that's what I'm looking at here LOL. Anybody?

Here's a gut shot of the Leslie:

And this reminds me that I've been here before. I bought an old organ at a thrift store like 10 years ago, wound up parting it out and couldn't even give away the Leslie and the reverb. This is in slightly better condition. As I recall, this Leslie unit is held in place with a pair of hinges and once you remove the screws it opens up and you can service the motor and pulley.

There is plenty of fun hardware here, even if it weren't in such good condition. But can anybody tell me if there's any DIY potential in these hand-soldered boards, and what they are in general? I assume each one is a sound generator, and the number of those is the number of its polyphony, but I dunno. Apparently they tried a few different designs and surely they didn't keep making wafer board circuits for that long.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 23, 2023

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I think this is what you're looking for:
https://www.dairiki.org/hammond/k-100/Service%20Manual%20Hammond%20K-100.pdf

It seems to be a transistor organ. Each of those boards is the tone generator for one of twelve notes, and those big components are the frequency dividers that make the different octaves. The manual says they're flip-flop ICs, so it should hopefully be possible to replace them with some sort of modern component with similar specs.

If it were me and any repair was out of the question, I'd shove some kind of synth in there that can be controlled from the front panel somehow, or an old crusty laptop running key performer.

snorch fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 24, 2023

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

snorch posted:

I think this is what you're looking for:
https://www.dairiki.org/hammond/k-100/Service%20Manual%20Hammond%20K-100.pdf

It seems to be a transistor organ. Each of those boards is the tone generator for one of twelve notes, and those big components are the frequency dividers that make the different octaves. The manual says they're flip-flop ICs, so it should hopefully be possible to replace them with some sort of modern component with similar specs.

If it were me and any repair was out of the question, I'd shove some kind of synth in there that can be controlled from the front panel somehow, or an old crusty laptop running key performer.

Wow you found a good manual, that is much like mine. Yeah it may be nothing but idle curiosity but I'm just wondering if any of those tone generators or filters and stuff could be taken out of this box and used for anything else. I guess I'll have to take a slightly closer look.

Man, this is old, this is almost before printed circuit boards. What do they call this, dead bug soldering or something?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Okay I guess this is a DIY two-osc synth, in a manner of speaking. And another one below it. These are all electronic diagnostic equipment from times when transmission frequencies of digital signals were partly in the audible range.

But this is all decommissioned lab equipment, I don't know what possessed me to try using them musically but they do work. I'm powering them on now.

ED: and I played them till 2. And they sounded great.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 24, 2023

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Oh, and unrelated but I think if this organ isn't working I may take out the entire speaker system and try to build a Leslie speaker, was thinking of what to do with this, and it occurred to me it would fit inside it pretty well:

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

RocketMermaid posted:

Man, looking at all this rad synth stuff just makes me kind of happy I didn't go down that path, because I'm pretty sure I'd be penniless living in a cardboard box after buying everything that beeps and boops.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Rectal Placenta posted:

Man, looking at all this rad synth stuff just makes me kind of happy I didn't go down that path, because I'm pretty sure I'd be penniless living in a cardboard box after buying everything that beeps and boops.

quote:

Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

petit choux posted:

]

Everything looks incredible in there

I just noticed this absolute unit of a reverb tank. :getin:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Armacham posted:

I just noticed this absolute unit of a reverb tank. :getin:

They also have a dial labeled "percussion." And that's it. :moustache:

This thing has a small tube amp built in too, and it is ALL dead bug wiring, no boards, no nothing.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 27, 2023

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

And those speakers are nothing to turn up your nose at either.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

petit choux posted:

They also have a dial labeled "percussion." And that's it. :moustache:

This thing has a small tube amp built in too, and it is ALL dead bug wiring, no boards, no nothing.

Ooo more pics of that would be appreciated

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Armacham posted:

Ooo more pics of that would be appreciated

Well not yet, sorry though that manual you pulled up for me has some fabulous photos of dead bug wiring. But at least for tonight I want to show off my latest acquisition, this is an old lab synth that is actually polyphonic. You can probably see some of the labeling, it has 4 outs, each of which is a separate tone generator and sweep, all can be triggered with one gate and one mod and one that's labeled "sum." The only problem being that I can't yet get it to actually play notes, as such.

It can make all kinds of weird noises though. The gate works as you'd expect but the "sum" doesn't deliver tone, at least not as it's set up. But I'm just winging it here, documentation for this model is pretty hard to find. A lot of the controls are easy to understand but it's all really made and configured for working in the ghz range, not 40-2000 hz LOL.

but anyway, I got it to play with one of my other lab synths, which will take some orders from the SQ-64, and so we're in business. I might find some use for it yet. It's a really primitive device though that you have to enter everything in manually. I think once you do you can save it though. It's really cool how so many of the features from this old lab gear is replicated in audio gear down the road.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

petit choux posted:

Well not yet, sorry though that manual you pulled up for me has some fabulous photos of dead bug wiring. But at least for tonight I want to show off my latest acquisition, this is an old lab synth that is actually polyphonic. You can probably see some of the labeling, it has 4 outs, each of which is a separate tone generator and sweep, all can be triggered with one gate and one mod and one that's labeled "sum." The only problem being that I can't yet get it to actually play notes, as such.

It can make all kinds of weird noises though. The gate works as you'd expect but the "sum" doesn't deliver tone, at least not as it's set up. But I'm just winging it here, documentation for this model is pretty hard to find. A lot of the controls are easy to understand but it's all really made and configured for working in the ghz range, not 40-2000 hz LOL.

but anyway, I got it to play with one of my other lab synths, which will take some orders from the SQ-64, and so we're in business. I might find some use for it yet. It's a really primitive device though that you have to enter everything in manually. I think once you do you can save it though. It's really cool how so many of the features from this old lab gear is replicated in audio gear down the road.

Ghz range? Never know when you're going to need to make music using microwaves I guess lmao

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
I built a MIDI controlled light show for my live gigs :birddrugs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWcreYCaCOI

Teensy microcontroller, 4m WS2812B addressable LED strip and a, uh, locally sourced recycled enclosure.

j.peeba fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Aug 29, 2023

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Armacham posted:

Ghz range? Never know when you're going to need to make music using microwaves I guess lmao

Yes, you may be too young to remember but the earliest modems were within human hearing range. And the oldest lab equipment was made for diagnosing and calibrating stuff at that level of development. The inclusion of cycles so low that we can hear them almost seems like a legacy now but even the contemporary versions of stuff like I'm playing with now can be made to work in the audible range. At least when there's a manual available.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

petit choux posted:

Yes, you may be too young to remember but the earliest modems were within human hearing range.

I feel physical pain from this statement

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
If we still had modems like that, most goons would have aged out of being able to hear them

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

petit choux posted:

Yes, you may be too young to remember but the earliest modems were within human hearing range. And the oldest lab equipment was made for diagnosing and calibrating stuff at that level of development. The inclusion of cycles so low that we can hear them almost seems like a legacy now but even the contemporary versions of stuff like I'm playing with now can be made to work in the audible range. At least when there's a manual available.

When I was your age I hauled the internet packets uphill both ways

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Yelling ACK down a tin can

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Among other things they are capable of some incredibly fat tones. I'm probably going to dedicate at least one of these devices to being just a bass drum. That piece isn't the oldest I'm playing with. Here is a snapshot. This is real Dr. Who sound effects gear baby. In the upper right are a couple of musical synths, and they operate using the same control voltage and can be networked with the lab stuff. Because that's where it came from.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Hey, I don't know if you kids ever heard of this Zappa guy but I just watched a video about him that revealed at least to me that he played with some really wild primitive synths A LOT and kept it to himself mostly. He apparently had access to some of those old machines where you could manually draw sounds on a transparent film or something. But it turns out a lot of his legacy was kept under wraps by his widow, not clear on why. But they claim that this really took up a lot of his time and it was a real passion for him.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 29, 2023

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

j.peeba posted:

Teensy microcontroller, 4m WS2812B addressable LED strip and a, uh, locally sourced recycled enclosure.

Hey, this is really amazing, I don't mean to ignore your posting something this cool. I would like to learn arduino programming, I just found a book on it the other day. If I had that skill I could solve a number of the problems that I make up all these Rube Goldberg toys to solve.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

petit choux posted:

Hey, this is really amazing, I don't mean to ignore your posting something this cool. I would like to learn arduino programming, I just found a book on it the other day. If I had that skill I could solve a number of the problems that I make up all these Rube Goldberg toys to solve.

Thanks! As far as programming goes most Arduino things are quite simple although getting the syntax down will take some effort if you haven't programmed or scripted at all. I had a little programming experience but close to zero knowledge of electronics and I started with one of those official Arduino starter boxes that contain a bunch of projects, with components and all, and it was a pretty good intro to the subject.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

j.peeba posted:

Yessss tight as hell

Petit: yeah just do what he said and get one of those starter boxes. It's actually really easy. I've built a robot and a nixie clock using Arduino. I know a lot of people are using them along with some other microcontrollers to control both analog and digital effects.

Armacham fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 29, 2023

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

petit choux posted:

Among other things they are capable of some incredibly fat tones. I'm probably going to dedicate at least one of these devices to being just a bass drum. That piece isn't the oldest I'm playing with. Here is a snapshot. This is real Dr. Who sound effects gear baby. In the upper right are a couple of musical synths, and they operate using the same control voltage and can be networked with the lab stuff. Because that's where it came from.

nice rig

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

LOL yes but I hear you young people have made them much smaller these days, I say go for it.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

petit choux posted:

LOL yes but I hear you young people have made them much smaller these days, I say go for it.

it's not the size of the oscillator that matters, it's how you fold the output

Jack of Setonix led a module build at a local music-maker space last weekend so I did the first PCB soldering I've done since the mid 90s and built a working Boing!. I probably already posted this, but not in this thread.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

I bet you missed that sweet smell of flux

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I've soldered a couple things in the basement over the years, but yea, this event smelled nice and toxic.

Setonix uses lead-free solder in all their own stuff (mostly because of German import laws) but I ended up using leaded because lead-free is harder to work with. I only ate a little bit of it, though.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

That's ok, lead free solder sucks. I just use one of those little filter fan things and hope for the best.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

The danger to the solderer is from the flux in the air, not the lead in the solder (wear gloves if this is a 9-5 type thing, obviously, I hope?), and ironically lead-free solder flux is significantly more toxic than that for leaded solder.

The RoHS stuff w/ unleaded solder was mostly about e waste, not manufacturing safety

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

JamesKPolk posted:

The RoHS stuff w/ unleaded solder was mostly about e waste, not manufacturing safety

yep, and I've seen a counterargument that lead free solder breaks so much more readily that it leads to generally more waste than leaded solder, casting doubt on the environmental impact of any of it

all this poo poo is destroying the planet, I read enough cspam to glean that :allears: