Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Armacham posted:

Looking at the datasheet for that IC, the orientation doesn't matter since it has rotational symmetry.

I think that the BC sku is a single transistor on an IC with 3 pins and the BCM is two transistors on the same IC with 6 pins.

Can you try posting the BOM/schematic link again? I think that IC is both Q1 and Q2, but I need to see the schematic and BOM to be sure.

Yeah, not sure why that link came out that way but here's an actual link: https://diy.plum-audio.com/projects/uJove/iBom/

I have the the BC sku and it is a 6 pin. Are you saying that the BCM is two transistors in one component? That would make sense I suppose. I might have the wrong component then. Glad I didn't yolo that thing onto the board already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Yeah, not sure why that link came out that way but here's an actual link: https://diy.plum-audio.com/projects/uJove/iBom/

I have the the BC sku and it is a 6 pin. Are you saying that the BCM is two transistors in one component? That would make sense I suppose. I might have the wrong component then. Glad I didn't yolo that thing onto the board already

If you click through the mouser link you posted and look at the datasheet you will see a pin out.

I'm pretty sure you have the right part. I was wrong about the part number for that series. I'm a little rusty with transistors and I don't use surface mount. Being matched just means that the two transistors on the chip with be tested to have the same hfe. For most applications this doesn't matter.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Armacham posted:

If you click through the mouser link you posted and look at the datasheet you will see a pin out.

I'm pretty sure you have the right part. I was wrong about the part number for that series. I'm a little rusty with transistors and I don't use surface mount. Being matched just means that the two transistors on the chip with be tested to have the same hfe. For most applications this doesn't matter.

Ok cool. I am not anywhere close to being an EE and datasheets are largely hieroglyphics to me. But, yeah, now that you point it out it looks like the direction doesn't matter. Thanks for walking me through that.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Almost done with this monster

MettleRamiel
Jun 29, 2005
Looking for a little advice here. My vocalist has a bass drum we added legs to so he can hit it with mallets when not singing. He wants lights to react to it when he hits it.

I got a cheap set of lights that have a sound activated mode that reacts the way we want so we mounted them inside.

The issue is how they react. Hitting the rim or the shell or muting the skin with one mallet it triggers immediatly with each hit. Hitting the skin, however, it keeps colour changing as the skin vibrates.

We want the immidiate reaction only on the hits. We can lose the control from the rim/shell if necessey.

So basicly, is there something I can do like cover the microphone with something that will let in the low bass hits but not the vibrations? Can I add something to the circuit? Any ideas?

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

MettleRamiel posted:

Looking for a little advice here. My vocalist has a bass drum we added legs to so he can hit it with mallets when not singing. He wants lights to react to it when he hits it.

I got a cheap set of lights that have a sound activated mode that reacts the way we want so we mounted them inside.

The issue is how they react. Hitting the rim or the shell or muting the skin with one mallet it triggers immediatly with each hit. Hitting the skin, however, it keeps colour changing as the skin vibrates.

We want the immidiate reaction only on the hits. We can lose the control from the rim/shell if necessey.

So basicly, is there something I can do like cover the microphone with something that will let in the low bass hits but not the vibrations? Can I add something to the circuit? Any ideas?

Might have already tried this but does moving the sensor help? I'd assume lower on one of the legs would make it less susceptible to the ongoing vibration. Depends what else is going on onstage so might not work though.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

MettleRamiel posted:

Can I add something to the circuit? Any ideas?

what lights are you using?

MettleRamiel
Jun 29, 2005

Kingo Ligma posted:

Might have already tried this but does moving the sensor help? I'd assume lower on one of the legs would make it less susceptible to the ongoing vibration. Depends what else is going on onstage so might not work though.

They are, unfortunatly as far away from the skin as can be.

Kvlt! posted:

what lights are you using?

They are some nameless white leds with gel covers and 1 button to choose between static, alternating and sound activated. Highly unlikely there will be any kind of documentation for these anywhere.

I plan to open then up and see what I'm dealing with and obviously I don't expect anyone to reverse engineer these things with no information, but as an electrical novice, I had hoped that there might be some standard for putting a variable resister in line with the mic to lower it's sensitivity or something.

I tried a couple thicknesses of foam over the mic but that seemed to do nothing much for the low end, just reduced the high end response a bit.

Thanks for writing back, guys!

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Built myself the Twin-T kick drum as described here: https://soundbender36.wordpress.com/2021/01/24/25-bis-synthetiseur-modulaire-diy-twin-t-kick-drum/

It's a great little project and it sounds awesome, and for once I got it working on the first try. :dance:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Populating a board for a tweed deluxe

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Almost done with the cabinet and wiring the chassis

MettleRamiel
Jun 29, 2005

Armacham posted:

Almost done with the cabinet and wiring the chassis

That's beautiful

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
For decades I've been content playing through the same old amp modeller out of some bookshelf speakers, but dang that makes me want to build an amp.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Just wondering if anyone has modded a Korg Poly 800. I have a question regards adding an internal battery.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I saw this video of a clone someone built of the Casper Electronics Echo Bender the other day and thought it sounded pretty cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsltVQBihu4

I want to build my own, but don't feel like messing with vero board, or getting a PCB and sourcing parts. I found this kit from Effects Pedal kits that I think is the same thing: https://effectpedalkits.com/shop/echobender-machine-kit/

Has anyone built anything from them? Doesn't look that different from stuff i've bought from PedalPCB or BYOC, but I also can't find anyone who's built one from this exact kit.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Havent built that kit but ive done kits from that site before and theyre def legit

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

frogbs posted:

I saw this video of a clone someone built of the Casper Electronics Echo Bender the other day and thought it sounded pretty cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsltVQBihu4

I want to build my own, but don't feel like messing with vero board, or getting a PCB and sourcing parts. I found this kit from Effects Pedal kits that I think is the same thing: https://effectpedalkits.com/shop/echobender-machine-kit/

Has anyone built anything from them? Doesn't look that different from stuff i've bought from PedalPCB or BYOC, but I also can't find anyone who's built one from this exact kit.

Yeah the schematic and instructions seem reasonable.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Looking to replace a missing arm for a bigsby clone on an older guitar I bought:

Would this arm from amazon work for it?

https://a.co/d/9BMe6AW

MettleRamiel
Jun 29, 2005

Elissimpark posted:

Just wondering if anyone has modded a Korg Poly 800. I have a question regards adding an internal battery.

I have not, but I can likely help. What's your question?

Looks like it runs on 9v centre negative which is the same as most guitar pedals.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

My original question I think is sorted - basically, it's presets have to be reloaded if it's C cell batteries are removed. Some versions have an internal C2032 to maintain memory. Some (like mine) have the space and tabs to install one. Some don't have that and it gets tricky. I'd misremembered which version I had.

That said, the C cells don't power up the keyboard. External power is fine. Initially, I thought because the battery spring was rusted, but I've cleaned that and the issue persists. How would I troubleshoot the battery wiring?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

You need to get a multimeter and check for continuity for the positive and negative connections.
If you have a harbor freight nearby they have one for like 5 bucks. Probably can find one on Amazon for cheap too.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

:doh: of course continuity. I'll have a look tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Well. There was no continuity when I popped it open last night, and it wasn't turning on with the batteries.

So I got distracted and fixed a wonky key (its spring had slipped off its spring-knob-thing), unscrewed the volume/power knob to see if there were any obvious issues (the sound is crackly, but can be fixed by resting a finger on the pot) and pulled out the joystick board (just because).

As I was putting all the screws back, I noticed the power was on with just the batteries, so yay. No idea what the issue had been - maybe too much key gunk.

Now to find a mono 3.5 aux to load factory presets.