Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Unormal posted:

This is a really loving good article.

Can you summarize? I stopped reading The Atlantic when they removed their comments section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

enraged_camel posted:

Can you summarize? I stopped reading The Atlantic when they removed their comments section.

It establishes a non-facile breakdown of the modern evangelical movement and how they reached the current Trump aligned nadir; the detail is what makes it worth reading, since the summary is evangelicals are doing bad, which we all know. It's written by W's advisor/speechwriter.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wait what did TB get banned for? :(

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
hosed up as it may seem but YOSPOS is possibly the most accepting/progressive LBGT subforum on the site so long as you get funny computers

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

SamuraiFoochs posted:

TB who? TotalBiscuit?

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

enraged_camel posted:

A nicely detailed blow by blow of how reactionary religious movements particularly fundamentalism arose in response to a justice oriented evangelical movement, emerging science (particularly evolution) and the dawn of German biblical criticism & hermeneutics. How the evangelical brand was coopted and reified from a post millennial, utopian ideal to a pre-millenial, apocalyptic, quietist movement at odds with the larger American culture. He goes on to connect how Trump’s rhetoric of America in decline dovetails neatly if unwittingly with the paranoid ideology of the fundamentalist movement which eventually took on the banner of evangelical Christianity. Because of this deep resonance in how Trumps populism and fundamentalist ideals compliment each other, fundamentalist Christians are naturally at home with Trump even if he flagrantly violates all Christian norms and values. I’m missing some bits I’m sure but that was the nutshell for me. Trumps blatantly unchristian behavior is almost irrelevant to whether or not fundamentalists support him when you consider the history of their movement and how Trumps own paranoid, populist nostalgia overlap so neatly.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Unormal posted:

It establishes a non-facile breakdown of the modern evangelical movement and how they reached the current Trump aligned nadir; the detail is what makes it worth reading, since the summary is evangelicals are doing bad, which we all know. It's written by W's advisor/speechwriter.
I feel like this Stormy Daniels saga and the embrace of Trump in general is going to be much more lethal to their moral credibility than the evolution denialism.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

SamuraiFoochs posted:

YT said some sexist and racist bullshit, TB called him on it, he doubled down, she told him very indirectly to kill himself.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3821460&pagenumber=5521&perpage=40#post479277296

And then she got perma'd for it.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Yeah that Atlantic article on Evangelicals is very interesting. I was worried at first that it was going to go into full whitewashing mode and try to justify past abuses but it doesn't. Good read, do recommend. Kind of a quick history of religion in America actually, since it touches on how the country developed faith-wise over its lifetime and how Evangelicalism in particular became so reactionary.

edit: TB = TinyBrontosaurus. And the perma was ostensibly because it wasn't the first time she'd told someone to go kill themselves but I've seen worse from people still posting in this thread.

(Unban TB.)

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lead out in cuffs posted:

YT said some sexist and racist bullshit, TB called him on it, he doubled down, she told him very indirectly to kill himself.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3821460&pagenumber=5521&perpage=40#post479277296

And then she got perma'd for it.

That's....a pretty terrible look TBH. I dunno about a perma though.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

OneEightHundred posted:

I feel like this Stormy Daniels saga and the embrace of Trump in general is going to be much more lethal to their moral credibility than the evolution denialism.

Never underestimate the lack of self reflection of the average piss baby.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

it turns out when you repeatedly tell people on this forum to kill themselves you will get punished for it.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

bogoodski posted:

Random, and out of curiosity (new thread's got me questioning things (like: life, its meaning, and other existential but equally important deliberations, such as the following)): Is it pretty common among this thread's participants to visit this thread exclusively on SA?

I guess I've posted a few times in the anime section about my excursion into that genre. But, it just occurred to me that I literally paid to register here without even exploring anywhere else.

Is there anywhere else on here worth exploring? Do I need to don protection when venturing out of the safe confines of the Trump thread?

games subforum is cool and I play every online game with goons now.

TFF is also a pretty rad place to talk about football.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

omg

newest McNaughton painting

quote:

I painted President Trump picking up a shredded and trampled flag off the football field. He holds a wet cloth in his right hand, as he attempts to clean it.

I respect America. I respect the flag, the anthem, and the President; because he doesn’t back down to those who do not. 

When the NFL players decide to kneel as the national anthem was given, I felt sick. That flag represents the vast number of Americans who have sacrificed their lives for our nation. It is about their blood and the sacrifice of many thousands.

If we do not respect the flag enough to fight for what it stands for – liberty, justice, and strength – then we will be the weakest generation. The way Trump called out the NFL for not supporting the standing of the national anthem was an example of how a President should lead, with courage to say and do the right thing regardless of the reaction of others. 

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

Used to post there until I got a little intimidated by my relative lack of knowledge about certain things and stopped. I read TFF occasionally now but I've posted maybe once or twice.

Plus, I'm a Patriots fan and I don't think TFF wants more of those.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

^^^
Ask questions and post post post. They're good at explaining poo poo without being dicks. Mostly.

Chilichimp posted:

games subforum is cool and I play every online game with goons now.

SAS as a whole owns. I forgot about posting in the mlb threads.

I also lost 80lbs with the help of ylls.

Ok I promise to shut up about the forums after Trump's first tweet of the new new infrastructure week.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

omg

They have a child's view of the world. Yes, those scary negroes football players disrespected the flag by exercising their right to free expression. loving idiots.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

omg

i imagine trumps face looking something like that when the piss tape is released

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

I feel like kale deserves an OP warning.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
What the hell caused the last thread to fail miserably in loading posts?!

Also Devos is going to damage this country beyond repair at this rate. :sigh:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Spiffster posted:

More like already has. The Trump admin has already done permanent, significant, irreversible damage, just as Bush did 20 years ago.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Spiffster posted:

It got too long and when things get too long they fall apart because vbulletin is not good

That Atlantic article was fascinating. It's sad, really, that the Evangelicals ended up in the state they're in now. From some of the poll stats the author provided I guess there's hope for their future but we still have to survive their current monstrous iteration.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

This is a Good Article.

It's pretty good, for sure.

It just kind of gets my goat just the sheer scale, the massive incomprehensible amount of hypocrisy it takes for any of these self-avowed christians to support someone like Donald Trump. Do they not have any shame? Do they not care at all about their own supposed religion and the lessons it's supposed to teach (non-retarded interpretation)? Do these people not care a whit about honesty? Truth? Integrity? The character of a person and how well they uphold the ideals of the bible and the example of Christ? :psyduck:

I mean the goddamned bible literally warns against hypocrisy. Evangelism and american christianity is a club of cargo cult religious folks who don't care or understand about the message they themselves are peddling, they can't be anything else. Because there is no way I will ever be convinced that any person in support of Trump as a moral and trustworthy head of state, example and role model can ever be anything approaching a christian or identify with supposed christian values. It makes no sense whatsoever. None.

Completely different mechanisms are at play with these people and I will believe someone like Prester Jane before I believe that any of these people are honestly and earnestly following any belief system at all.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It's American Christianity, otherwise known as the Worst Christianity.

People honestly believe that you can buy your way into heaven, like the old school indulgence system.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

mystes posted:

Did they kill another dog?

...Another?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Moatman posted:

That Atlantic article was fascinating. It's sad, really, that the Evangelicals ended up in the state they're in now. From some of the poll stats the author provided I guess there's hope for their future but we still have to survive their current monstrous iteration.

The religious right was never good. They got their start bitching about the desegregation of their private religious schools and hide behind abortion to justify their craven bigotry.

You can’t be a good Christian and also right-wing. The two frameworks are fundamentally at odds with each other.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Bronze posted:

Hard to believe everything in those common areas won't be damaged or destroyed at light speed. And it only takes one dopey roommate and/or lovely community manager to really screw everything sideways. I can't imagine wanting to deal with that after my 20s.

One step closer to company towns reborn. By which I mean Google and Amazon and Apple are already working on construction for their personal population centers.

The US is going to turn into a goddamned real life version of The Probability Broach.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Lightning Knight posted:

The religious right was never good. They got their start bitching about the desegregation of their private religious schools and hide behind abortion to justify their craven bigotry.

You can’t be a good Christian and also right-wing. The two frameworks are fundamentally at odds with each other.

The whole point of that article is that Evangelicals weren’t always part of the religious right
e: although at this point it’s been so long that they’re effectively two separate groups with the same name

Moatman fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Mar 12, 2018

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/Lauren_Southern/status/973124784623112192

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/BrittPettibone/status/973142658230218753?s=19

I'm not racist but what the gently caress me and an "identariam" were banned

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
So what did these human-shaped shitwads do to get themselves kicked out of the UK?

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Alter Ego posted:

So what did these human-shaped shitwads do to get themselves kicked out of the UK?

https://twitter.com/KTHopkins/status/973125618412998656?s=20

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Alter Ego posted:

I think Lauren Southern tried to sink refugee boats.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

...so she was refused entry, not "kicked out".

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Alter Ego posted:

...so she was refused entry, not "kicked out".

:laffo:

That sure seems to be the case. This is also the first time I've seen the "Identitarian" label. Here's the Wikipedia article for anyone else who isn't familiar with the term:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identitarian_movement

TL;DR: They think "white genocide" is a thing. Your instincts about the rest of their beliefs is probably pretty good.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Lauren Southern is the woman who was all 'Feminism is bad and we should return to traditional values', then got really butt hurt when her Alt-right fan base attacked her for not being married by age 22.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

B B posted:

That sure seems to be the case. This is also the first time I've seen the "Identitarian" label. Here's the Wikipedia article for anyone else who isn't familiar with the term:

TL;DR: They think "white genocide" is a thing. Your instincts about the rest of their beliefs is probably pretty good.

It's just a rebranding of White Supremacy. Just like the 500 other rebrandings running parallel right now.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/nickmon1112/status/972544895964598278

Lol cernovich is the gift that keeps on giving

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

B B posted:

Pretty sure the guy in the tweet up I posted was part of the group that chartered an actual boat to go chase down refugee boats until the European equivalent of the coast guard told them to stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Pretty sure the guy in the tweet up I posted was part of the group that chartered an actual boat to go chase down refugee boats until the European equivalent of the coast guard told them to stop.

It's better than that: They went out and told them to stop approaching other vessels. Then later the idiot's boat broke down (because they are idiots and bought a 5th hand boat with no knowledge of how to fix it up properly before going out) and a refugee aid ship had to go out and rescue them from international waters.

• Locked thread