Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Tunicate posted:

total destruction of your cybercar might be risk enough

I see that OASIS is built around Star Citizen’s insurance scam and not simply rerezzing a car like just about every other MMO and online game out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

MechaG in RPO looks nothing like any of the MechaG's in the past.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Paingod556 posted:

This. Is there any relevance to a song about forced relocation of natives in order to do nuclear weapon testing, to anything in this book? Also, Blue Sky Mine is their best song, Read About It a close second :colbert:

I was as confused by this as the live action Death Note having loving Australian Crawl in the intro.

I don't think he thought out any of his references beyond "I 'member that, I should add it to this list!"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Choco1980 posted:

I'm fairly certain that Cline doesn't like/care about any video games made after the big crash of '83. This is a man who got so hyped up over the Atari Landfill being found that he filmed himself driving across country to get there, but doesn't mention Nintendo once in his book of 80s nostalgia.

Nintendo is one of those companies that protects its IPs with an entire pack of Cerberuses. Because they’re a regressive and insular company at heart. I’ve no doubt Cline probably put in a bunch of Nintendo references in the first draft and was then told by his fabled editor and the army of namecheck lawyers from the publishing house to take them out or the Big N was gonna sue the gently caress out of them.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

MechaG in RPO looks nothing like any of the MechaG's in the past.

What the gently caress is that supposed to be?

Seriously, it looks like they went to the concept artists responsible for the Bayformers stuff and they "reinterpret" Mechagodzilla instead of just "look at this already established Toho character design and copy it" that they should have done. It's way too fiddly bits and opened armored that I can barely tell it's supposed to be Mechagodzilla.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Seriously, what is even going on with its arms? I saw a brief clip on youtube someone grabbed with their camera, and he also had red lights going down his spine/tail for no real reason.

The more I look at it, the more it looks to me like for some unfathomable reason someone took Godzilla 2000's design, then gave it a "cyberpunk"? (whatever the 80s/90s electronics version of Steampunk or Dieselpunk is) coat of paint.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It's the 2030 reboot mega mecha Godzilla

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

Nintendo is one of those companies that protects its IPs with an entire pack of Cerberuses. Because they’re a regressive and insular company at heart. I’ve no doubt Cline probably put in a bunch of Nintendo references in the first draft and was then told by his fabled editor and the army of namecheck lawyers from the publishing house to take them out or the Big N was gonna sue the gently caress out of them.

Then why no Sega references either, though? Master System might not have been huge, but it wasn't nothing.

I really do think the "Cline just doesn't care about videogames post-crash" idea is just as likely as it being fear of Nintendo's lawyers.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Idran posted:

Then why no Sega references either, though? Master System might not have been huge, but it wasn't nothing.

I really do think the "Cline just doesn't care about videogames post-crash" idea is just as likely as it being fear of Nintendo's lawyers.

I think I've joked that we should be seeing at least one [Your Name] The Hedgehog OC character. I'm pretty sure that would be considered parody and wouldn't actually be infringement because it's not actually Sonic.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Young Freud posted:

I think I've joked that we should be seeing at least one [Your Name] The Hedgehog OC character. I'm pretty sure that would be considered parody and wouldn't actually be infringement because it's not actually Sonic.

It's such an obvious joke but apparently copyright doesn't exist in the Oasis so you don't need an OC when you can just be Sonic.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's a godzilla-shaped robot, so it's mechagodzilla and the target audience claps

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Except the target audience itt isn't clapping, we're demanding blood

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Except the target audience itt isn't clapping, we're demanding blood

Also, the movie actually did really poorly in America, home of the source of its pop culture references. So hardly anyone was clapping*.

*except China and Korea, who inexplicably loving love this movie.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Also, the movie actually did really poorly in America, home of the source of its pop culture references. So hardly anyone was clapping*.

People unironically applauded when I saw the movie, both when it ended and when something happened (I don't remember exactly what it was, though). The difference is that with other movies where people applauded, like Star Wars: The Force Awakens, it was about a dozen people awkwardly clapping instead of the whole audience.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

People unironically applauded when I saw the movie, both when it ended and when something happened (I don't remember exactly what it was, though). The difference is that with other movies where people applauded, like Star Wars: The Force Awakens, it was about a dozen people awkwardly clapping instead of the whole audience.

I saw Battlefield Earth in a theatre with about 3 other people and one of them gave it a standing ovation. Felt so bad for that dude

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

In on a phone right now, but you should see the Japanese posters. One of them makes it look like a live action Gundam movie, with all the anime stuff front and center and Wade and crew all small at the bottom.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Clipperton posted:

I saw Battlefield Earth in a theatre with about 3 other people and one of them gave it a standing ovation. Felt so bad for that dude

Found the Scientologist?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Young Freud posted:

In on a phone right now, but you should see the Japanese posters. One of them makes it look like a live action Gundam movie, with all the anime stuff front and center and Wade and crew all small at the bottom.

Here's the poster I'm talking about...

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Choco1980 posted:

Seriously, what is even going on with its arms?

That right arm of his looks like it was designed by the same chucklehead that did Wade's loooooong leeeeg in the movie poster

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013
As much as RPO is hyped as "80's References! The Book" it really is just a bunch of poo poo that Cline happens to like. I'm pretty sure he just mined his adolescence and then added a dollop of Firefly (the famous 80's sci-fi series that ran on the Fox network in 2002).

Think about the three keys/gates:

Tomb of Horrors debuted at Origins in 1975 and was first published in '78.
Joust was released in '82.
Dungeons of Daggorath is from '82.
Wargames premiered in '83.

Phone phreaking is much more a '70's thing than an 80's thing (according to Mental Floss John Draper was arrested for it in 1974).
Zork seems to date back to '77. Probably the TRS-80 version is from 1980.
Blade Runner came out '82.
Black Tiger is an outlier, released by Capcom in 1987.
Rush's 2112 is from '76. (Really, why is there no Devo?)

Three is a Magic Number first aired in 1973.
Tempest came out in '81.
Holy Grail premiered in 1975.
Adventure came out in late '79.

Did I miss anything?

With one exception, all of this poo poo is from '83 or earlier. Most of it is from the mid to late '70's. Nobody needs to know anything about "80's pop culture" to win Haliday's big prize. They just need to know what Ernest Cline thought was cool when he was 12.

Why does this piss me off? I don't know, but it does.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

With one exception, all of this poo poo is from '83 or earlier. Most of it is from the mid to late '70's. Nobody needs to know anything about "80's pop culture" to win Haliday's big prize. They just need to know what Ernest Cline thought was cool when he was 12.

Does the book ever explicitly say it has to be 1980s specifically? I think it's just explained to be the stuff that Halliday (born 1972, I think?) knew and loved from his teenage years. So, mostly 80s stuff, yes, but he didn't set a hard limit on the third digit in the year. It makes sense that there'd be some leftover 1970s stuff that he either knew as a kid (Schoolhouse Rock) or didn't happen to encounter the instant it came out (2112). Same thing with the Japanese monster movies -- they were from the 60s but played endlessly on American TV in the 80s, so there they are in his obsessions.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

Phone phreaking is much more a '70's thing than an 80's thing (according to Mental Floss John Draper was arrested for it in 1974).

Phreaking is something I actually know a lot about. The stuff with blue boxes (playing tones directly into a phone to fake hanging up and dial numbers without the keypad) and red boxes (faking coins going into a payphone by playing the beeping sound the phone makes when a coin of particular size is dropped in) was only possible in the pre-digital days when automated switching systems used acoustic signals like that 2600 Hz tone played down the regular sound line ("in-band signaling") to dial numbers, disconnect calls, and start billing.

The 1980s was the start of the digital revolution, which meant the start of these mechanical switching systems being replaced with computers. Phreakers switched to more complicated methods (like using computers to randomly try calling card numbers and saving any working ones to disk, brute forcing free phone calls), but cell phones and cheap calls in the 90s finally killed it off. The last switch line that phreakers could mess with was removed from rural Minnesota in 2006.

Exploding The Phone is a really good book on the subject if you want to know more. It also goes deep into how the technology worked so you can gain a pretty solid understanding of how to do it by the time you finish. You just...can't do it any more.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
He throws in 90's references in there too. Like Halliday specifically programmed in evangelion robots as a challenge reward. I guess not even Halliday could resist the siren song of anime

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

This isn't really related to Ready Player One except that it reminded me of this scene and it's driving me crazy trying to remember where it's from: someone is playing an arcade game, and they realise the creator was really into Rush and playing to the same rhythms as in a Rush song lets them get the high score. Any ideas?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Aston posted:

This isn't really related to Ready Player One except that it reminded me of this scene and it's driving me crazy trying to remember where it's from: someone is playing an arcade game, and they realise the creator was really into Rush and playing to the same rhythms as in a Rush song lets them get the high score. Any ideas?

That's Cline's other book, Armada.

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013

Aston posted:

Probably Futurama:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmCqn-DNSA0

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

He throws in 90's references in there too. Like Halliday specifically programmed in evangelion robots as a challenge reward. I guess not even Halliday could resist the siren song of anime

Also: the Simpsons

I read that part and was like "you mean just the Tracey Ullman shorts or what :confused:" but that doesn't work because he talks about knowing Springfield better than he knows his hometown and I don't think they even went outside much in the Tracey Ullman shorts sooo

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

loquacius posted:

Also: the Simpsons

I read that part and was like "you mean just the Tracey Ullman shorts or what :confused:" but that doesn't work because he talks about knowing Springfield better than he knows his hometown and I don't think they even went outside much in the Tracey Ullman shorts sooo

Wade probably read that Halliday did watch some Simpsons at some point, so obviously you had to watch all of it.

Which I assume means all 45 seasons, to burn away entire years of his life.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Aston posted:

I really like 2112, but I wish Cline had worked in anything else from Rush instead of just one of their most famous works. Instead of just copies of Megadon, the planet could have had stuff like Xanadu and the god's battlefield from Hemispheres. Or a race track set up like the countryside from "Red Barchetta".

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

China loves every big budget special effects action movie from America. They're almost to the point of being the primary audience now, as they funnel so much money exclusively for those types of films into Hollywood. Hence why stuff like Marvel films get added scenes with more China-centric focus for their overseas cuts...

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
I've finally figured out what this book reminded me of: the novel Wyrm
https://www.amazon.com/WYRM-Bantam-Spectra-Book-Mark/dp/0553378716

Anyone else read this? It's schlocky good fun though probably at least as regressive as RPO. It's been a long time since I read it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/983744486093111296?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

I-r0k, no!

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013

Aston posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUHLIFDtT9s

its also a scene from chuck

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

I-r0k, no!

Miller's downward spiral is starting to look more like a plummet

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Osmosisch posted:

I've finally figured out what this book reminded me of: the novel Wyrm
https://www.amazon.com/WYRM-Bantam-Spectra-Book-Mark/dp/0553378716

Anyone else read this? It's schlocky good fun though probably at least as regressive as RPO. It's been a long time since I read it.

I thought I was the only one that read that. Such a weird, funny novel. I also liked that instead of footnotes it had little info insets since the 1st person narrator couldn't add hyperlinks in the ancient editor he was using.

The military grade VR suit interface was inspired.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
My avatar's trademark was all these other, better trademarks

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

As much as RPO is hyped as "80's References! The Book" it really is just a bunch of poo poo that Cline happens to like. I'm pretty sure he just mined his adolescence and then added a dollop of Firefly (the famous 80's sci-fi series that ran on the Fox network in 2002).

Think about the three keys/gates:

Tomb of Horrors debuted at Origins in 1975 and was first published in '78.
Joust was released in '82.
Dungeons of Daggorath is from '82.
Wargames premiered in '83.

Zork seems to date back to '77. Probably the TRS-80 version is from 1980.
Blade Runner came out '82.
Black Tiger is an outlier, released by Capcom in 1987.
Rush's 2112 is from '76. (Really, why is there no Devo?)

Three is a Magic Number first aired in 1973.
Tempest came out in '81.
Holy Grail premiered in 1975.
Adventure came out in late '79.

Did I miss anything?

Because. No Devo.

chitoryu12 posted:

Phreaking is something I actually know a lot about. The stuff with blue boxes (playing tones directly into a phone to fake hanging up and dial numbers without the keypad) and red boxes (faking coins going into a payphone by playing the beeping sound the phone makes when a coin of particular size is dropped in) was only possible in the pre-digital days when automated switching systems used acoustic signals like that 2600 Hz tone played down the regular sound line ("in-band signaling") to dial numbers, disconnect calls, and start billing.

The 1980s was the start of the digital revolution, which meant the start of these mechanical switching systems being replaced with computers. Phreakers switched to more complicated methods (like using computers to randomly try calling card numbers and saving any working ones to disk, brute forcing free phone calls), but cell phones and cheap calls in the 90s finally killed it off. The last switch line that phreakers could mess with was removed from rural Minnesota in 2006.

Exploding The Phone is a really good book on the subject if you want to know more. It also goes deep into how the technology worked so you can gain a pretty solid understanding of how to do it by the time you finish. You just...can't do it any more.

Same here. I used to mad phreak back in the day. Had a bunch of lineman gear I either found or bribed linemen out of. Even used to have access to a 2 meter radio repeater with phone line access, so I had a cell phone when only the richest of rich assholes had them.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

This was it, thanks. I was beginning to wonder if I'd just imagined it.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
There was a question at bar trivia last night asking which holy relic was the Arthurian knight Parzival searching for. Thanks to renowned author Ernest Cline's masterpiece, RPO, I knew the answer to this question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

There was a question at bar trivia last night asking which holy relic was the Arthurian knight Parzival searching for. Thanks to renowned author Ernest Cline's masterpiece, RPO, I knew the answer to this question.

And your team got mad at you for writing down "The Easter Egg"

• Locked thread