Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

When this came out, I was super depressed and really enjoyed the pablum validation of my youth. “I know that and it’s in a book! My things matter! I matter!”

Later, I worked at a VR company where everyone got a copy of the book in their welcome kit. I started re-skimming it and immediately felt mortified about my previous enthusiasm.

Let’s do this indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

quote:

like a dream my thirteen-year-old self would have had after bingeing on Pop Rocks and Coke

That doesn’t sound like praise, really.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

I've read Neuromancer. Neuromancer is an exceptionally good book. RPO, sir, is no Neuromancer.

Why the gently caress does this guy want to insult William Gibson like that?

It might be more of an insult to this generation.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mostly depends on how much total area is being observed at a given time, and what’s in it. Universe size doesn’t really matter except as bragging rights.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Let’s not let the mere word “gunter” pass by unremarked-upon.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

This is making me want to re-read Otherland.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Gnome de plume posted:

Just a Frankensteinian mishmash of "Cool" things thrown together with no thought for how it all looks together.

Welcome! This bowl is for your tears. No spilling!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

steinrokkan posted:

I mean, that just shows he's an opportunist, not that he has any depth

Cline is a parasite, who just happens to fill a successful niche.

He’s lucky, not a schemer. In all the other parallel universes he died unremarked.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

He misses his mom.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Young Freud posted:

simulated rape and snuff

:yikes:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

WRT OASIS control, there is work being done to put ultrasonic or similar depth sensors, or even cameras, in gloves and headsets to get partial returns and infer body position. It’s super clumsy so far, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

For a long time you could convert EVE currency to real money through flipping game-time cards.

• Locked thread