Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samizdata
May 14, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

So, 15 people in a double wide that's 22 stories up, and there's a laundry room. Uh-huh.

I did the math to see what year Halliday wouldve been born, to compare with my own age. 1971 or 72 (so pretty close to my 1974). Then I looked up Cline, and whaddya know, of course he was born in 1972. March 29th, actually.

March 29th. The day the movie comes out. He is literally game master anthony, celebrating his birthday with all of his favorite tv, comics, video games references. BRING IT IN, GUYS!!!

Chi, pass the torpedo juice.

I'm in. Nope. No Dr. Pepper thanks. I am wanting to take the express train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Oh hey apparently it's billions of players. Simultaneously.

Yeah, but most of them are at malls or doing whatever VR Twitter and Facebook look like.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Solumin posted:

You wouldn't simulate the whole universe in high fidelity, just the parts people are playing in. That saves some computing power. Also, the graphics are probably handled client-side. WoW's graphics are simplified so that older computers can play it, not because it's easier on the servers.

To be clear, we're still looking at a system that requires absurd computing power, not to mention network bandwidth (billions of players!) and data storage (lifelike, life-sized models are not small!). How do you even handle a planet? That's likely terabytes of data, if not more. Also, all these assets have to be created somehow. Are they computer generated? Are the planets created by what is essentially the Minecraft world gen algorithm? Or did someone make an entire universe by hand?

In this apocalyptic world, how is there infrastructure to keep any of this running?

I'm still shaking my head at the interaction with the bully. It's juvenile, but not high school juvenile; it's a nerd fantasy of shutting down the bully. And then he just mutes the guy anyway!

I think he makes the point that places like Ludus are pretty much cookie cutter instances, so that makes the system requirements a bit lower.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Millions of anonymous players in the OASIS and none of them are hovering above the Tomb of Horrors blasting music or spawning trillions of strobe light mosquitoes to crash the server?

Also, I’ve known good folk similar to Halliday (made tons in computers, slightly eccentric, obsessed with sci fi) and the last thing they’d do is invite millions of people to poke around their childhood bedrooms and know every detail of their lives. Letting strangers touch their computers would be a means of torture, not tribute.

But...but...but... It's not REALLY their childhood bedrooms and not REALLY their REAL computers, just a simulation! Nothing REALLY counts in simulation, except Halliday's Quest...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Nipponophile posted:

Look, you've got to take some risks if you're ever going to have the chance to touch a virtual titty.

You know, they DID mention haptic feedback...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

I cast Bigby's Locker Shoving Hand at a 5th level spell, allowing it to shove 3 additional nerds.

:golfclap:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

anonumos posted:

Oh good that was good. I'm going to have to reread it. I still have the Independence USA eBook on my Google drive.

drat. My bookmark to Libertopia is broken
http://welp.gs/~harik/libertopia.html

Hook a brother goon up so I can save a copy to my Drive?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Adnachiel posted:

I imagine he specifically picked those series because they all either had English dubs that aired on American television (Spectreman, Space Giants) or were probably popular among tape traders in the 80s. (Kikaider apparently had an English following in Hawaii, and I guess the Japanese Spiderman got passed around because it's Spiderman with a giant robot. If you're a Marvel fan, why wouldn't you want to take a look?) But I'm still shaking my head that he mentions those but not Kamen Rider or any of the earlier Super Sentai. (Cline would have been 20ish when the original Power Rangers aired. So older than the target audience, but that doesn't stop a ton of other nerds that age from watching it or its Japanese counterpart.) Or mentioning having any Ultraman in his toku show rotation.

Okay, I am an old. Big freaking surprise. But I do remember watching reruns of The Space Giants as a wee Samiz when visiting my Dad in Hawaii.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

I mean sure, it would probably reduce the system requirements from "impossible+2" to "impossible+1".

This is...technically...science fiction. And he has carefully avoided any technology comparisons to any RL tech, so the processors MUST be the Handwavium 9000 series, with RNA based memory systems, and those quantum entanglement based modems...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

PJOmega posted:

Well, let's be entirely honest. Even if the sixers did come and attack Wade's hotel fort his escape would last at most a page.

"And then my escape shoot opened beneath me, dropping me and my entire rig into the subterranean garage. My car started automatically, a technological marvel only slightly less advanced than KITT, the one from the hit television show Knight Rider starting David Hasslehoff. Only this was armored with a half inch of steel plating.

It was also equipped with a state of the art satellite uplink for my rig. Of course all the interior had been removed. With the auto drive enabled I wouldn't even have to split my attention from fighting the suxorz in the Oasis. If they thought they could distract me with something as trivial as a forty man strike force they were shown to be fools. I chuckled as I was whisked to my second, even more fortified bunker. Silly IOI, I'd always keep a step ahead of them, and I'd always be in another castle.

Like Princess Peach from Mario for the Nintendo Entertainment System. Only I didn't need to be rescued by any short italians."

Only about a tenth as interesting as that vomit.

:golfclap:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Looks like it did. Cheers!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
I'm in. I've got an ePub of it floating around here somewhere. Lots of storage does NOT mean remembering where things are.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
You unholy bastards are going to make me find my copy of Armada again to read it, aren't you? AREN'T YOU?!?!?!??!?!?!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Ixjuvin posted:

Snow Crash is just RPO, complete with a gross attitude towards women, flagrant Orientalism, lengthy recitation of Wikipedia articles, and nonsense hypercompetent Protagonist. It's actually written with style and flair because Stephenson knows how to turn a good phrase.

You forgot the high-speed pizza delivery. Good point, though, remembering to capitalize Protagonist, though.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Then we finally get info on her IRL appearance, and she's 5' 7", and 168 pounds. She's got a few extra pounds, but is by no means in land whale territory. If you have any familiarity with women's sizes, that's about a size 10. If not, consider the usual internet barometer of Marilyn Monroe, who was 5' 5" and 140-ish. She's probably curvy, and not in the "healthy at any size" eating mayo on your mobility scooter tumblr category.

You had me laughing at the last bit.

Also, "Hi, I am [famous person]! Your ISP is evvvvvvvvvul!"

Straight to my well-trained spam filter. Guess I am not going to be around to HACK THE PLANET!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Leofish posted:

You know, I was just thinking about this: Wade has a line early on where he talks about his Super-80s DeLorean with KITT and Ghostbusters on it and how it's his character's "trademark" ride or whatever, but he never mentions it ever again, after that one paragraph about how he mashed a bunch of 80s nerd cars together. He spends far more time and attention on his Firefly-class ship from Firefly than he does his DeLorean. Why isn't the Vonnegut his trademark?

Because, if you are too poor to go to space, you don't have a chance to wank it to his ship. But he can drive most everywhere so you have a chance to wank over Parzival's Magical Meme Machine.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Also, I was given a recommendation from Back Hack to tackle Monster Hunter International next. This was an easy solution, partly because I could get a Kindle copy for free and partly because this is the synopsis:

And this is the author bio on Amazon:

Hooooo boy. We switch from GamerGate to Libertaria. Yeah, read that too. A friend and I have a joke I should have my own hashtag - #IReadTooMuch.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

PhotoKirk posted:

I was not expecting a Sneakers reference.

How, exactly?

And you don't cite the Tron reference either?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

nerdz posted:

RPO has a 79% certified fresh rating on rotten tomatoes. Maybe Spielberg managed to salvage something out of the book?

Well, I will say, if anyone could, it would be him... Wait, Kingdom of the Crystal what? You're one of those parallel dimension people, aren't you?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Just saw this. Had to share.

https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/979218350214696960

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Evilreaver posted:

More importantly, it was impossible to have a serious conversation/event without someone deploying self-replicating dongs to flood the area :dong:

Yeah, never been there, only VERY vaguely felt the urge.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

I got copies, so y'all better not disappoint me here. (Currently rereading Effinger's Marid Audran/Budayeen books.)

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Can we just comment on how incredibly creepy the movie Art3mis is?

I’ve seen GIFs and it’s even weirder in motion.

Not to mention she looks NOTHING like the character in the book, IMO.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I might be misremembering, but wasn't Wade doing tech support for Oasis while in indentured servitude at IOI? Cause I thought they were like an ISP but if they're involved in the running of Oasis, that would mean they already have some measure of control over the company. Like, I don't go to Comcast when I encounter a bug in World of Warcraft.

He's not really clear about it, but I saw IOI as a financial services company that decided to create a tech support outsourcing department. (Used to work for Siemens as an outsourced helldesk guy, and they started out in the telegram field and later moved to electric lights.)

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Dienes posted:

Why are requisition droids needed when ammo teleports into your gun as its needed?

Because Parzival needs a completely improbable deus ex machina?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Also, this thread made me watch The Last Starfighter last night.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

But we’re not reading Armada yet!

Yeah, well, if all you all hadn't been talking about 80's memories and The Last Starfighter, it wouldn't have happened. (Also, Grig the Navigator was the evil OCP boss from Robocop). Also, I found my copy of Armada.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Renaissance Spam posted:

Please tell me you're going to burn it.

Can't. It's an ebook. I will keep it handy for when we do the read.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

loquacius posted:

When I read this book I didn't notice how many Grail challenges revolve around watching a movie and saying the lines right alongside the main character

Like, I definitely remembered how much of it revolved around being able to beat old arcade games, but jesus Cline really places a lot of value on rote memorization doesn't he

That's because that is all he can do. :spergin:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

loquacius posted:

Yeah Wade gets other, far more incomprehensible hints than that all the time ("say these three words backward and it's almost a line from a Schoolhouse Rock song :spergin:"), this is just lazy bad inconsistent characterization and/or an excuse to give Art3mis something to do

Because, of course, Cline is woke, and Art3mis can't just be there as a reward for Wade/Parzival to win.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

TBH, Leopardon being Wade’s signature ride feels like it would be easy to make work, too. It’s basically his ultimate embrace of all that is cheesy, kitschy, and charmingly lame about Halliday’s preferred media. If you’re writing him as someone who starts out just doing this as a job and gradually falls in love with the media he’s immersed in, having him go ‘holy poo poo yes, forget the stats, forget the metagame, I’m going to win this dumb game with loving Leopardon and nobody’s going to stop me’ and then master using it because mecha combat in the OASIS is really goddamned fun would be a great little turning point.

It could be a cool setup for the final battle, too. Sorrento’s just taken out Shoto and Raideen, and is turning towards them, and Wade knows they won’t make it to the Third Gate without being incinerated. The IOI’s CEO is riding this insane beast of a machine that’s been minmaxed as hard as the game will allow, while Wade’s still in his crappy little mecha from a crappy low-budget toku, but he knows that someone needs to get to the Gate before IOI takes over the world, and it doesn’t really matter who it is. So he turns back and faces Sorrento to buy his friends time... and finds that he’s having a far easier time than he should be. Sorrento isn’t a gamer. He hasn’t mastered the OASIS, because that would require him, on some level, to enjoy it. He’s just using high-end gear and a horde of loyal goons to brute-force his way through so he can claim his prize. Wade may be hilariously under-equipped, but he’s not on a suicide run like he thought. He can actually win this.

Cue the epic battle scene.

So, you're saying Sorrento is what I call a "wallet warrior"? You jump in a game with them, they have the shiny new kit, you're in your old, well-worn, much patched up kit you assembled yourself and you are kicking all kinds of rear end while they are attacking a corner?

EDIT: Yes. I AM speaking of Warframe...

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 3, 2018

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Hostile V posted:

I appreciate your SCP joke, chitoryu12.

And I apparently COMPLETELY missed it. Welp, no key for ME!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

Thanks for reading yet another awful book for us.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

If y’all are interested in :words: about dumb nerdlore, I might do an effortpost on the main characters’ choice of giant robots and how they might be used to enrich the story, with a few suggestions on alternative rides.

:justpost:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Young Freud posted:

Cameron cut his teeth as a production designer: he worked on Galaxy Of Terror, which looks impressive compared to other Alien ripoffs like Creature and Inseminoid. As well, Cameron made the iconic Aliens dropship, having kitbashed the initial design before handing over to Ron Cobb to polish. Word was that the Syd Mead design was too futuristic and not the "space Vietnam" look that Cameron wanted, so he basically did it himself.

Crikey. I have seen ALL of those.

Renaissance Spam posted:

If folks are looking for a good book about escapism vs. crushing reality I'm partial to You by Austin Grossman; admittedly it's more about game design than playing games but it captures far better the ennui of growing up & desire to escape from the mundane while recognizing the importance of reality.

Great. Now I need to find my copy of Soon I Will Be Invincible and read it again since you reminded me of it. And I may check out You too.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Young Freud posted:

chitoryu12, if we're seriously doing a rewrite, I'd try the following things:

A third faction that actively fucks with the gunters and Sixers by giving out false clues and rumors, luring out hunters into traps and ambushes, and dry-gulching them, coercing them into giving them coin or gear, piracy, etc. Doesn't have to be Goonfleet, although I'm guessing people have already jump to that conclusion. :D

Unpleasant poo poo that makes OASIS not perfect cyberutopia. Absolute freedom enables absolute horror. In the dark corners, there's.all manner of prostitution and sexual vice, including simulated rape and snuff. In sequestered parts, real-world guerrillas and terrorists act out training with virtual representations of real world weapons systems and stage simulated attacks on real world targets. Racist sims where all the offensively-caricatured NPCs act in grossly stereotypical manners, with no consequences if you abuse or kill them.

More original avatars, or at least remixed ones. Part of the fun of having the big sandbox is making your own stories, and that doesn't seem to happen in Cline's vision for anyone other than Wade. Even with licensed properties, people will find ways to play with them in new ways.

Let', ummm, skip the whole sexual violence thing, so we can distinguish ourselves from complete crap fanfic, okay? I am okay with the terrorist training bit, and we can even do simmed drugs. Even play to your strengths and do some twisted horror worlds, if you want, which might work with the challenges. But, if we are really going to make this worthwhile, I don't want it being ModNexus: The Book.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Scrambling to make the connection between this thing called "fun" and anything pertinent to the 80s, I consulted the Almanac. The first hit I got was a mention of the fictional band Big Fun, featured in the 1988 movie Heathers. I used my limitless bitcoins and went to the nearest virtual shop selling only the finest neon fabrics and ordered a bespoke Martha Dumptruck-sized shirt with the band's name on it.

Then I walked into traffic, just like everyone wearing VR sets while ambling through the crowded streets of Columbus.

Unlike Martha, however, I actually died when JacquelineDempsey's 1986 Volvo came careening around the corner and turned me into Nickelodeon Gak.

THE END

Actually, I would have survived had the Volvo not spent more than 10 minutes doing donuts on me, while managing to get no blood at all on the driver's immaculate white wifebeater or battered snapback cap showing a patch for Speed Rumbler, a 1986 Capcom title called, more correctly, Rush and Crash in Japan. I tried to blurt that out, but the driver decided to rev up the wheels and enjoy a quick run of drifting, invented in Japan in the mid 80's, laying rubber across my battered face. The last thing I heard as the pain went away and the blackness came was a soundless cry of victory, like that of Michelle Pfeiffer when she is a hawk in Ladyhawke, one of my favorite films of 1985. Then I died.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

:stare: :golfclap:

And once again, goons put more effort into one post than Cline did for an entire novel.

I don't know poo poo about gundams and other big rear end robots, but you made it interesting to someone new to the subject, and your write ups on both Godzilla v Megalon and G v Mechagodzilla get an A+ from this kaiju sperglord. Nicely done, Lord Walrus.

I saw Godzilla V Megalon first run at a drivein. I am an old indeed.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

So, hope that was interesting. Anyone else got any other thoughts and suggestions?

Sith Lord, that was impressive AND informative to a stupid gaijin who only really knows Western mecha.

:golfclap: :respectfulbow:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm really excited to see what mashup of stuff we can use.

A clan of level 1 War Boys witnessing each other as they kamikaze hovertanks?

Or it would be time-apropos for some of the Goonters to show up as a WAAAGH! wif 'Ard Boys, Mega-Armored Nobz, and a bunch a Shoota Boyz to add dakka to da stupid pinkskinz!

• Locked thread