Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
I love that the supposedly evil corporation is actually arguably a better employer than current-day Amazon. They actually provide food and board!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Angry Salami posted:

Why do the Sixers even have a Mechagodzilla anyway? Isn't their whole thing meant to be 'souless corporate machine'? They should be using some untextured blob they programmed themselves that doesn't look like anything but gets the job done because they don't care about '80s poo poo, just money. And all the other sixers should be goonswarming the heroes because they don't give a gently caress about simulating a cool robot battle and are just cheesing the hell out of the respawn mechanic to win.

Like, there's no clash of cultures or anything, the Sixers are indistinguishable from the protagonists. It's just two bunch of assholes obsessed with the same pop culture playfighting.

I think the robots were rewards from the previous quest step. It's hard to keep track though when one's eyes keep glazing over.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've finally figured out what this book reminded me of: the novel Wyrm
https://www.amazon.com/WYRM-Bantam-Spectra-Book-Mark/dp/0553378716

Anyone else read this? It's schlocky good fun though probably at least as regressive as RPO. It's been a long time since I read it.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ZeeToo posted:

I actually also had this impression while reading along the thread. Wyrm was a novel I loved when I was 12 or so.

I doubt I'd still think it was that good, but it's definitely a more solid construction than RPO.

I wish I could find my copy, looks like I loaned & lost it :(

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Osmosisch posted:

I wish I could find my copy, looks like I loaned & lost it :(

I cracked and ordered a replacement secondhand copy. Turns out Wyrm totally holds up! Its protagonist is a bit too omnipotent (software skills! Black belt karate!) and what there is of female characters doesn't get all that much agency but besides that, it's a somewhat plausible romp in a hidden, omnipresent online game with tons of bona fide nerd references that are both correctly placed and often left unexplained. Recommended, though nothing earthshattering.

There's something charming about having a character explain the difference between ISDN and cable, or what the millenium bug is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Samizdata posted:

I managed to check out a copy from an online library. As soon as I finish Otherland, that is on my list.

Ha! See you in a year ;)

• Locked thread