Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
The writing in RPO reminds me of nothing so much as Fifty Shades. The events described in both works could, in themselves, be exciting/tense/erotic etc, but the actual words used to describe them are so unimaginative that it just comes out as "and then this thing happened, and then this happened and...".
Now, in defense(!) of E.L. James, at least she actually describes the events taking place in Fifty Shades, while Cline just tells us it happened post-fact.

What really bugs me is not only the constant nerd-culture references, but the fact that Cline rarely offers up anything more than the name of the thing he's referencing (and sometimes which movie or game it's from). Don't know what the hell a Zenith television looks like, or what a TRS-80 is? Congratulations, you have no way of visually parsing the scene. When Wade enters the Tomb of Horrors, Cline doesn't describe the things he encounters, he just goes "and once I was past the Orb of Annihilation I did..." and if you don't know what the hell an Orb of Annihilation is, you're just poo poo out of luck as a reader.

William Gibson has this style where he writes about some strange, sci-fi thing - but since it's an everyday item to the characters in the story, he doesn't actually describe the thing until details become relevant for the story. Cline's like that, only he fails to realise that's what he's doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
I can also understand Spielberg changing the key quests for the movie, because how the hell would you go about making an exciting scene out of "and then I played Space Invaders for six hours, and then I slavishly re-enacted an entire movie, and then I played Pac-Man"?

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe
Maybe it's just me being hypersensitive to bad writing, but...

I don't think that the people who genuinely liked Ready Player One like or even understand books. It's the literary equivalent of watching a slideshow with pictures of guns and calling it a "fun-filled action movie".

• Locked thread