Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Liquid Communism posted:

I mean, Wade could just ban IOI and all employees thereof and confiscate their in game cash. He can do that now.

And by so doing, he can afford to let Artemis go feed hungry people or whatever and ALSO build his bitchin' spaceship full of movie theaters and arcades and abandon the dying Earth forever. Happy ending!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

After a few minutes, he realizes that the maze is a replica of the labyrinth from Adventure and reaches the center in no time.

The funny part is that none of the mazes from Adventure can exist in the real world. The screens meet up to each other in impossible ways. (Also, there's really no "center" to any of them, but maybe he just means the big open area in the blue maze that's under the black castle.)

I love the part where we finally get to meet Shoto in the flesh. Been waiting the whole book for that. :geno:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

I got into a conversation with a fan of the book at the pre-wedding pizza dinner on Friday. It turns out she didn’t even remember some of the most heinous stuff and just remembered the book as a whole, devoid of much context or understanding.

Anyone I know who liked the book and read books often was someone who loved nostalgia and defined themselves by media consumption and nerd cred.

I read the book a few years ago, and I was actually enjoying it as a fun little popcorn adventure, right up until the part with the giant robot battle. See, I'd never really watched any of the Japanese giant robot shows when I was a kid, so there were no familiar references to distract me, and I started paying attention to other things. Like how the shield was way too small for the castle and army said to be within. Or what a jackass Wade was being by risking the whole contest to meaninglessly humiliate Sorrento for a moment. Or what a letdown the third gate was (in this one he was to play a video game and THEN recite a movie! Wow!). Or how Wade casually loving cheated at the movie. Or how inexplicably absent GSS had been for the entire book. Or the hollow, tacked-on moral from Halliday that's completely at odds with the entire rest of the book. Or how (like I mentioned a few posts ago) Shoto, allegedly a major character, gets completely shafted and we never even see Wade meet him. Or how the oasis will never be any fun for Wade as a game anymore -- there's no challenge to anything and God Mode gets old fast.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

With one exception, all of this poo poo is from '83 or earlier. Most of it is from the mid to late '70's. Nobody needs to know anything about "80's pop culture" to win Haliday's big prize. They just need to know what Ernest Cline thought was cool when he was 12.

Why does this piss me off? I don't know, but it does.

Does the book ever explicitly say it has to be 1980s specifically? I think it's just explained to be the stuff that Halliday (born 1972, I think?) knew and loved from his teenage years. So, mostly 80s stuff, yes, but he didn't set a hard limit on the third digit in the year. It makes sense that there'd be some leftover 1970s stuff that he either knew as a kid (Schoolhouse Rock) or didn't happen to encounter the instant it came out (2112). Same thing with the Japanese monster movies -- they were from the 60s but played endlessly on American TV in the 80s, so there they are in his obsessions.

• Locked thread