Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I did not realize how goddamn BORING the writing in RPO is. It is so...mundane. The entire thing is really just boring description loaded with nostalgia, isn't it.

Why attempt to use the English language in an interesting way when you can make millions off of reminding 40 y.o. IT guys of their preteen years? Ernest Cline surely does not know why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

One of the most horrifying moments on the forums thus far for me was a couple sci-fi fans being like "What do you mean you care about the quality of the prose?"

I am an ardent SFF reader and that is baffling to me. Imagined written worlds cannot come alive without prose that meets a minimum of competency and creativity. Or without characterization that feels real in a fantastic setting. But I suppose many (most?) SFF readers aren't looking to read about well-imagined places and people, rather they seek escapism and the literary equivalent of Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

Many of my favorite literary works share this appeal: Proust's Combray and its inhabitants are as alien to me as any amazing planet I've read about in a sci-fi novel, but that does not stop them from being eminently relatable and having an intrinsic human quality.

• Locked thread