Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

chitoryu12 posted:

If this is our generation's Neuromancer, does that mean all future cyberpunk is just going to be pop culture references?

So far all signs point to yes.

Goonspeed chitoryu, I have nothing to offer you but my [5].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

quote:

rack up some XPs

burn it to the god drat ground

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
30 light hours/side, a light hour is about 1.1 billion km in length, so (30*1,100,000,000km)*(30*1,100,000,000km)*(30*1,100,000,000km)=2.97e+13km3, or 29,700,000,000,000 cubic kilometers.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

The easter egg is done so poorly in this because look at how quickly ARGs and game secrets are solved these days. Scott Cawthon kept burying things in FNaF with increasing difficulty and people solved them in weeks, if not days after release. Ever since the Marble Hornets stuff people almost expect there to be hidden content of some kind and comb all sorts of games for them. Hell, when I played WoW I’d explore for fun and stumble into things!

Adnachiel posted:

I started reading the book about a week before this thread started and one of the things that bothers me is how Cline overestimates how long it would take the future VR Internet to solve these puzzles. Even without a Reddit or a 4chan-sized community working together, I guarantee you that more than one person would have had the same mental tangent Wade had, decide to look around a map of Ludus for the hell of it, and found the tomb. All things considered, Evil!ISP would have found it years ago since they have hundreds or thousands of people working around the clock to solve these things every day. But of course, that would make Wade look less impressive.

Also, he got lucky there when he was digging. The original Tomb of Horrors had 3 entrances. 2 of them just kill the party with a landslide. :goonsay:

Yeah you look at the Secret Finding Discord for WoW, those people are organising and weaponising their efforts to find some insanely obscure poo poo. They might not be finding things that are as complicated as this poo poo, but there's only a few hundred of them doing it with any dedication. There are supposed to be millions of these hunters and some of them have the money of a multi-national corporation behind them. How the gently caress didn't they find it 17 hours after it was announced?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

JacquelineDempsey posted:

probably the only woman scientist who he's heard of

There's no probably about it. I'd say that motherfuckers forget about Hedy Lamarr, Lise Meitner, Grace Hopper and Rachel Carson but the chances of them ever having heard of those women is slim to none.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
He's not even memorising it, is he? Doesn't he just have a :filez: PDF of the module opened up in his field of view so he can walk past everything by looking it up?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

steinrokkan posted:

My only question is

Why, in an age of perfected VR, does anybody give even the tinies gently caress about some beep boop toaster games from the 80s / 90s, even 00s?

Movies I can accept.

You mean you have to use your hands? That's like a baby's toy!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

I liked that Wade could only beat the demi-lich Joust boss because he told the lich to let him play as player 1. He only knows how to play games as the first player because he's never had any friends to play games with.

Congratulations on putting more thought into the implications of Wade switching sides than the author did.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Liquid Communism posted:

There's another question about this whole disaster of a world building attempt. You have a long running semi progressive nerd President. Why is the country still a corporate dystopia if the position has any power?

President Trump broke it so hard it became a figurehead position.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Shark Sandwich posted:

I feel like dumping a Spielberg movie based off a successful nerd property before blockbuster season means they don’t have a lot of faith in it

Hopefully it gets murdered by Black Panther like Tomb Raider did. I doubt it, even with the legs BP has had it probably doesn't quite have the legs for that.

edit: drat, i just checked it out and BP is about to overtake The Last Jedi for the #6 all-time domestic box office record.

https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-records/domestic/all-movies/cumulative/all-time

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Cline didn't really care about the story and just wanted to cram as much of his nostalgia into a book as he could.

that's_a_bingo.gif

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

quote:

Ain't It Cool News

Holy poo poo I just got a 10-year-old joke from The Simpsons

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

steinrokkan posted:

meme culture of the 10s ... Portal

Portal came out in 2007 and was completely dead as a meme by early 2009.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Good news everyone!

Ernie Cline Penning A Sequel Novel To READY PLAYER ONE

:suicide:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Calaveron posted:

Wardoor, sagecage, dropcop, joltvolt motherfucker was Dr Seuss all of a sudden
Also you can get cushy tech support jobs with housing and food and utilities and stuff that fine it's indented servitude but lmao there's years long waiting lists for lovely mcjobs in a post apocalyptic hellscape with Mad Max raiders and also luxury goods

Memento posted:

Congratulations on putting more thought into it than the author did.

This should probably just be the thread title at this point.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

chitoryu12 posted:

Guess I know what we’re doing after this thread!

Take a cleansing dive into someone who can write first. I'm currently plowing through all the Discworld novels after bashing my head against some particularly dry geochemistry texts for the entire latter half of last year. Most of the way through Moving Pictures now.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Choco1980 posted:

I'm the farthest thing from an expert, but I thought burning titanium was a monumentally bad idea?

Burning it would create titanium dioxide which is just run-of-the-mill bad for your lungs. It's much harder to get heavy metal toxicity from Ti than it is from things like lead or mercury.

Again, more thought than the author etc.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

nine-gear crow posted:

It may horrifying (and possibly delight) you to know that Cline is in fact married, to a woman who is an author/poet in her own right, and her books are infinitely better than her husband's and much more well received, if nowhere near as popular.
I don't think it has anything to do with not having ever known the touch of a woman, and everything to do with paying zero god drat attention to anything that isn't your nerd wheelhouse.

I think back to myself in my early-mid 20s (I'm in my early 40s now) and I realise that even though I had a few medium to long-term relationships, I doubt very much I ever knew what size they were or how much they weighed, because of how self-centered I was. I my defense I've grown up a lot since then. What's Cline's excuse?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Stand by for answers, Gorilla Salad.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
This dude.

No, wait, this chick.

Mildly :nws:, both taken from the Awful Mods Thread.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

nine-gear crow posted:

Too recent for Cline's nostalg-o-vision to detect and too obscure for his wading pool-depth tastes.

Is TTGL actually all that obscure? I barely watch anime and I've seen it.

Too recent is a legit concern though.

Also of concern is that Super Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is on the order of 50 billion light-years tall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Young Freud posted:

Something that I thought of: has anyone actually rewatched some of their childhood faves and be disappointed by some of the content. For example: I have friends do a rematch of the first Ace Ventura movie and somehow forget about how transphobic it is.

What I'm getting at is Wade internalizing a lit of the '80s racism, sexism, and homophobia that is latent in a lot of films and media, skewing his worldview.

Yeah Ace Ventura is basically "Let's Laugh At Trans People: The Film", and Me, Myself And Irene is "Let's Laugh At Mentally Ill People: The Movie".

What i'm saying is that maybe Jim Carrey is actually an enormous piece of poo poo.

• Locked thread