Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Ernest Cline wrote a screenplay and disguised it as a book and then got a movie deal anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

He wrote a first draft and said "we'll hire a scriptwriter to fill in the blanks where jokes and such are supposed to go lol" as he sent it off to the publishers.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I might be misremembering, but wasn't Wade doing tech support for Oasis while in indentured servitude at IOI? Cause I thought they were like an ISP but if they're involved in the running of Oasis, that would mean they already have some measure of control over the company. Like, I don't go to Comcast when I encounter a bug in World of Warcraft.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

DJPON3Vinyl posted:

Who even decides to select the EVAs in the first place? Those things were infamous for A: Running out of power and B: Going out of control and murdering stuff. What would possibly compel the so-called ruthless, sensible corporation with no sense of fun to pick them?

The hosed up thing imo is that Cline could've gone for another Hideaki Anno Mecha anime and brought in Gunbuster, but I guess that would've required doing research on a deeper reference and we can't have that!

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Gorilla Salad posted:

Gee, good thing someone has a spare quarter.

So, as a reward for finding the final key, each person is rewarded with a Super Rare, Mint In Box giant robot.

Which also happen to be less powerful than a random drop already existing in the gameworld.

Reminds me of playing Skyrim where the Jarls would reward me with legendary weapons and armour for completing impossible tasks only for them to all be utter crap compared to the gear I was already using.

So, at least that part is accurate.

iirc it wasn't even a random drop, it was the reward for a quest chain. So there's no reason why Sorento wouldn't have a pile of them from having a couple sixers farming them with a series of new accounts since the item clearly isn't account bound.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Testekill posted:

Because Kline thinks that playing a lich in a lovely arcade game is the height of tension or that references are the height of comedy. It also doesn't help that his understanding of geek culture and the internet tapered off at the early 2000s.

Yeah, but this is the movie we're talking about. I think it's more like the creativity of nerds hunting easter eggs or speedrunning stuff is so beyond the pale that most audiences wouldn't get it. Like players wouldn't bother with the search or platforming in the Overlook because it's much faster to go to a corner 40 feet from the entrance and walk diagonally backwards into it while repeatedly crouching since you'll phase out of the level bounds and the game corrects by dropping you at the nearest valid coordinates which happens to be the platform Kira is on.

That's not to say Kline would've thought of anything like that, but that's why you don't get tidbits like that in the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Paingod556 posted:

This. Is there any relevance to a song about forced relocation of natives in order to do nuclear weapon testing, to anything in this book? Also, Blue Sky Mine is their best song, Read About It a close second :colbert:

I was as confused by this as the live action Death Note having loving Australian Crawl in the intro.

I don't think he thought out any of his references beyond "I 'member that, I should add it to this list!"

• Locked thread