Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I binged this thread over the past few days. Thanks for it, Chitoryu.

I want to comment on something that really irks me about the story (at least based on the way it was presented in the thread), and that's Wade's Extra Life. It's super annoying that Wade gets his super special day-saving perk by basically wandering around, finding a game and deciding to perfectly play it on a whim. Then he spends it when (from his perspective) everything randomly explodes. I think for the concept to be used well, it needs to fulfil at least one of the following conditions:

1. Wade needs to earn it in a way that tells us something positive about his character. Even the most clichéd ideas, like helping an old man about to PVPed to death who rewards Wade with a meagre quarter at least let the protagonist display a likeable quality.

Or 2. Have Wade sacrifice himself in the final battle to let his friends get to the gate before the IOI guys. Let Wade be the guy who goes one-on-one with mechagodzilla at the cost of his 'life'. He can demonstrate that the friendships he's supposed to have formed by this point are more valuable to him than winning at any cost. Then reward him with the opportunity to keep going anyway.

Obviously these aren't groundbreaking ideas, but at least the character has some agency in either obtaining or using his dumb Deus Ex Machina that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread