Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

chitoryu12 posted:

I think Cline straight up said that he put Halliday's age as almost identical to his own so they could share interests.

Of course. It's the hack's code: Write what you already know, because research is for chumps.

Someone gifted me the Audible version of this book a while back, and I'm glad to see it's no better in text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Deptfordx posted:

Oh right. I was forgetting the type. Get a few of them together and you'd end up with one of those campaigns. Where everyones rocking 60 levels over 3 different character classes and Staffs of the Magi are handed out like candy-floss.

The best thing to do with a group like that? Run a combat-free campaign. Don't even give your NPCs stat blocks.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

People join video game clans, take advantage of the help, and offer nothing back in return in MMOs all the time.

Wait, that's not the intended behavior???

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

chitoryu12 posted:

Wade initially considers all the stats to try and pick the most powerful robot available, but as soon as he sees Leopardon from the Japanese Spider-Man series he immediately smashes that Like button.

Imagine having your pick of machine from the entire richly ridiculous history of giant robot fiction, and you pick loving Leopardon. It's the wrong answer in every possible way.

Truly, Wade is the worst protagonist. It's a question you can't get wrong, and dude got it wrong.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
There's a little thing that bothers me. Check my post history and you'll find me a lot in TFR, so that's where this is going. The Glock.

I know what people are expecting me to say: For over a hundred years, the mechanism of the self-loading semi-automatic pistol has essentially been a baked technology. Other than minor variations, we've gotten the machine down to a science. Or more accurately, an engineering. Without any batteries, without any fancy digital tricks, we can manufacture a weapon that will - with proper care or at least a desiccant pack and a cool, dry place - sit happily inert for a hundred years and then still reliably kill someone when you ask it to, and Cheesefuck over here thinks the way to improve that is to install a "button on the barrel" that turns on a "timer" for a "cooling-off period". That somehow this technology would become commercially viable for some reason, which won't happen because blah whatever.

That's not what really pisses me off, though. The idea that the Federal firearms laws would be amended in a clean and simple way such as to allow gun vending machines is easily the least realistic thing in this book.

• Locked thread