Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
The Week wasn't a huge fan of the movie either.

quote:

Unfortunately, the creator, James Halliday — who cut out his friend and co-creator a la Steve Jobs — hated his creation so much that he destroyed this delicious pleasurescape where everyone could relax and have a good time. When he died, he announced that he'd hidden an "Easter egg" in the game that would give whomever found it control of the entire system. With one masterful stroke, he turned his paradise into a second dystopia, where everyone routinely logs in to run awful races until they die in a variety of horrid ways, losing all the money and riches their avatars had accumulated.

This is not, by the way, quite how the movie puts it. Ready Player One will keep trying to tell you that James Halliday is a good guy — a gentle, brilliant soul, in fact. A guy who loves his creation and whose approval our hero craves. I have decided that, like so many things in this movie, this is a test, and if I passed it, so can you! Don't be fooled: Halliday is bad. After all, who but a monster would decide to subject these sad human souls who just want some whimsy in The OASIS for goodness' sake to a second set of dreary incentives beyond the ones they endure in their real lives? And not just any incentive: an incentive so world-bendingly powerful that an evil company literally hires people to play the game — which Halliday ostensibly designed for FUN — as work? As literally anyone could have predicted they would? Because Halliday injected hyper-mega-capitalism into a world that he claimed stemmed from his hatred of rules and love of play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

The basic premise is literally just The Last Starfighter.

Actually why not just remake The Last Starfighter?

Because Robert Preston died. :(

Seriously, though, you wouldn't even need to change that much about the premise. Just make it "we didn't even know this machine was still operating" rather than "this one was supposed to go to Vegas" and pretty much everything else falls into place.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

"Now that I'm the most powerful man in the world I can finally achieve my lifelong dream, meeting carrot top."

Don't forget Wayne Newton. And they have to be together in a mall in Vegas.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Since we're on the subject of giant robots: Cline, you have to pick a Romanization scheme. Either Toei's show is Spider-Man (not Supaidaman), or Spidey's giant robot is "Reoparudon" (not "Leopardon").

Darth Walrus posted:

OK, let's run down dem robutts.

This was cool, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Vintersorg posted:

MechaG in RPO looks nothing like any of the MechaG's in the past.

This is :tinfoil: as gently caress, but it's worth noting that both Ready Player One and next year's Godzilla: King of the Monsters (in which Monarch has to battle a kaiju team-up) are produced by Warner Bros.

• Locked thread