Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
It really is so much worse than RPO. My pet theory is that Cline actually wrote Armada first. No one wanted to publish it, but the least negative feedback he got was along the lines of "um, there certainly were a lot of Eighties references". So his next try was nothing but Eighties references, and the rest is history. Because God is dead and we're alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I posted about this in the old RPO thread in GBS, but if you want a glimpse at the howling wasteland that is Ernest Cline's inner life, you should check out "Atari: Game Over" (it was on Netflix last I checked). It's a documentary about a Hollywood idiot who believes he's located the landfill where Atari dumped all those game cartridges they couldn't sell back in the Eighties, and sets about excavating it because ???.

Cline hears about this, and naturally he wants to watch. So he jumps in his Delorean thing and drives all the way to Alamogordo (I think he lives in Austin so that's like a ten hour drive) like this:

Unable to convince or even bribe anyone to come with him on his nerd road trip, not with all his millions. Driving for hours with only a doll for company. On his way to dig up thirty-year-old trash for no purpose whatsoever, a perfect metaphor for his whole career, and not a jot of self-awareness about any of it ever entering his bearded head.

That's what I think about when I think about Ernest Cline.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
There would be no SA or any other gunter clan because Urban Smurf would have cracked it on day 1

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

If y’all are interested in :words: about dumb nerdlore, I might do an effortpost on the main characters’ choice of giant robots and how they might be used to enrich the story, with a few suggestions on alternative rides.

I would be into this

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
You could include multiple authors by doing it as an epistolary novel. chitoryu12 would still write all the first-person Wade's-perspective stuff, but others could contribute chapters that were in-world 'documents'. Just off the top of my head, you could have:
  • chat logs of rival gunter clans showing how they perceive Parzival and his friends
  • IOI internal memos
  • marketing materials for the Oasis that spell out how all the online utopia poo poo is supposed to work
  • news articles that spell out how all the offline dystopia poo poo is supposed to work
  • etc.

Moving all the exposition to the 'document' chapters would also make the main story flow better since you wouldn't need Wade's constant infodumps.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

No, both the pulse rifle and lancer are just kind of loud popping.

this is the angriest ive ever been itt

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Sperglord Actual posted:

:mad::hf::mad:

Seriously, how hard would it have been to get that right?

My wife and I went to see Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 2 and for most of the movie I was not having a good time.

Then Lateef Crowder showed up as one of the vampire aristocrats who are the baddies in that movie. He's a capoeira guy who has done some pretty sick fight scenes so I perked up, thinking there would maybe be a capoeira fight scene in Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 2. Then I calmed down because I realized it would be silly to have a capoeira scene out of nowhere in a Twilight movie, they probably just cast him because he's a handsome dude who looks good in vampire robes.

THEN the vampire family who are the goodies in that movie were assembling a bunch of their vampire friends to help them out when the final throwdown with the baddies happened, and two of their friends were Brazilian shaman vampires and Brazil is where capoeira comes from. So then I got super excited because we would definitely be getting a sick-rear end vampire capoeira fight scene in the final throwdown.

Then when the final throwdown happened Lateef Crowder got bitten by a werewolf in the first twenty seconds and died.

That's the most ripped-off I've ever felt in a movie, but if someone dragged me to Ready Player One and I saw a character wave a pulse rifle around and then they fired it and it just went pewpew or whatever, it'd come close.

Thank you for reading, here are some Lateef Crowder fight scenes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqGDrROPSlc

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

People unironically applauded when I saw the movie, both when it ended and when something happened (I don't remember exactly what it was, though). The difference is that with other movies where people applauded, like Star Wars: The Force Awakens, it was about a dozen people awkwardly clapping instead of the whole audience.

I saw Battlefield Earth in a theatre with about 3 other people and one of them gave it a standing ovation. Felt so bad for that dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

I-r0k, no!

Miller's downward spiral is starting to look more like a plummet

• Locked thread