Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Paladin posted:

Pile "Aech and Art3mis are the same person" onto the list of better plot twists this book COULD have had.

You just reminded me of one of my favorite novel series, in which such a twist is pulled off amazingly well. Thinking about those books is so much better than thinking about RPO. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

C’mon now. Share.

Is it weird that I kinda don't want to because, if you ever read the series, and know there is a twist coming at some point, it won't have the same effect?

I'll let you make your own choice: it's the Vlad Taltos series by Steven Brust. First three books are Jhereg, Yendi, and Teckla, available as an omnibus reprint called the Book of Jhereg. Other words of recommendation: holy poo poo it's so good.

(If you think that maybe you don't want to jump into a >10 book long fantasy series that is still ongoing, let me try to sell you anyways: unlike many such series, the individual books are short and fun, and more or less wrap their own plots up. Also, the author changes things up - you are not going to be reading by-the-numbers rehashes of previous books. If you decide to check it out, I strongly recommend publication order.)

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Angry Salami posted:

Why do the Sixers even have a Mechagodzilla anyway? Isn't their whole thing meant to be 'souless corporate machine'? They should be using some untextured blob they programmed themselves that doesn't look like anything but gets the job done because they don't care about '80s poo poo, just money.

From a few pages ago, but this is Cline. Obviously, 80s* pop culture beats everything so of course the sixers have to use it too :smug:

* for certain values of 1980s

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Phreaking is something I actually know a lot about. The stuff with blue boxes (playing tones directly into a phone to fake hanging up and dial numbers without the keypad) and red boxes (faking coins going into a payphone by playing the beeping sound the phone makes when a coin of particular size is dropped in) was only possible in the pre-digital days when automated switching systems used acoustic signals like that 2600 Hz tone played down the regular sound line ("in-band signaling") to dial numbers, disconnect calls, and start billing.

The 1980s was the start of the digital revolution, which meant the start of these mechanical switching systems being replaced with computers. Phreakers switched to more complicated methods (like using computers to randomly try calling card numbers and saving any working ones to disk, brute forcing free phone calls), but cell phones and cheap calls in the 90s finally killed it off. The last switch line that phreakers could mess with was removed from rural Minnesota in 2006.

FYI, digital telephony is much older than that. It was in R&D in the 1940s-50s, and Bell started deployment in the early 1960s. By the 1970s and 1980s much of the system was already digital. A recurring theme in the technical history of the phone system is that anything new has to be extremely backwards compatible with the old, so that they can deploy it gradually instead of having to pay to upgrade the entire system at once. So, going digital did not erase compatibility with old control tones.

(The system is still mixed: the last-mile connection is analog, and still uses touch-tone dialing. You just can't fake out the system into not billing you for calls anymore.)

• Locked thread