Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Compared and contrasted with other stories which are built on references and allusions to other works, what is it that really sets RPO apart from, say, the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen or Anno Dracula or Philip José Farmer's Wold Newton concept?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Bullitt is perplexing to me. The others all make sense but Bullitt is just such a weird choice. I realise they're all Warner Bros. distributed movies, but surely there are posters that would "fit" better than a crime thriller from the late 60s that's best known for a single scene?

Some other Warner Bros. movies that probably would've been more appropriate (i.e. iconic 80s-90s movies or at least iconic 80s-90s posters) than and at least as recognisable as Bullitt: Caddyshack, Superman, National Lampoon's Vacation, Purple Rain, Lethal Weapon, Stand and Deliver, Moonwalker, Goodfellas, The Fugitive, Ace Venture: Pet Detective and many, many more. I could see the RPO characters fit neatly into pretty much any of those posters.

Why Bullitt?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was thinking recently that this might have been more enjoyable if all this pop culture stuff actually was almost entirely forgotten in the distant future and, instead of knowing it all off by heart so he never really has to try, Wade had to go on a scavenger hunt through his VR internet to puzzle out what the references are so he can figure out the clues.

The bad guy would be a shut-in nerd who's big into 80s movie trivia which gives him a head-start, but he doesn't actually enjoy any of it - all he does is amass this vast database of pointless minutiae for the sake of having it - whereas Wade discovers a genuine appreciation for, I don't know, storytelling or something, through his quest.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Alternatively, classic fiction as done by Cline

quote:

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view," explained Atticus with Yoda-like wisdom, "Until you climb into his skin and walk around in it." Although his dark hair and glasses compelled some people to remark on his resemblance to an older Harry Potter (absent the scar), personally, I had always admired how much my father looked and sounded like Captain Keith Mallory, star of the classic 1961 movie The Guns of Navarone, directed by J. Lee Thompson.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

chitoryu12 posted:

the fanfic that Cline declared canon.

Of course he did.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm curious. I know a few people who like RPO but it's always in terms of "It's silly fun you don't have to think too hard about". And that's fair enough. However, are there any fans to whom it's more than "switch off your brain" fare, for whom it's a serious work with genuine literary merit? I haven't seen them, but I've seen enough people complaining that both the critics of the book and the movie as an adaptation just don't appreciate the themes and underlying ideas, so they must be there.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

chitoryu12 posted:

I think I'll move on to Monster Hunter International after finishing Lacero in this thread.

I've had the first MHI book on my shelf waiting to be read for almost two years. One day I'll probably get around to it. Maybe when you do a thread on it, I'll read along then.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

I owe a special debt of gratitude to Julian Pavia, my brilliant editor, who believed in my ability as a writer long before I finished this book. Julian’s startling intelligence, insight, and relentless attention to detail helped me shape Ready Player One into the book I’d always wanted it to be, and he made me a better writer in the process.

[citation needed]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

chitoryu12 posted:

I first heard of it when my brother was talking about how cool it was back when it was new. I legitimately didn't see any real criticism until the past year.

The shower of critical acclaim it received on its release is very confusing to me; I appreciate that the standard supposition is "It has all the stuff critics liked when they were younger" but no number of appealing references changes that the basic quality of the writing isn't very good.

On the topic of references, I was thinking that one tiny thing that might improve this would be if the referential material was left in but the sources were removed. I believe you mentioned when Wade and Artemis (?) exchanged Highlander quotes that you thought it would have been an amusing in-joke if Cline hadn't immediately written, "I was impressed that she had picked up on my Highlander reference."

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 4, 2018

• Locked thread