Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
So traveling from planet to planet or across zones isn't instantaneous? You gotta actually get in your spaceship and spend time traveling across virtual interstellar distances? How much time are players spending just sitting in their imaginary spaceship just commuting?

Did Chris Roberts play any role in designing this world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Drunken Baker posted:

Double points for when he refers to something as "classic" instead of describing it.

"He started doing some classic 80s dance moves."
"They wore classic 80s clothes."

Those are the only ones I remember cemented in my brain from 372 pages. I couldn't unsee it after that.

That's one of the weird things about the book - for all that it runs off referencing things, the author comes across as not particularly familiar with the things he's referencing. Like, even the conversation between Wade and Aech doesn't ever give me the impression that the author's actually seen Ladyhawke or the Ewok adventure; it's just "$THING bad!" "No, $THING good! I will now recite facts from its wikipedia entry!"

Like, if Wade was meant to be utterly mercenary and didn't give a poo poo about the 80s, he's just memorizing this crap so he can win the contest, I don't think you'd need to rewrite much.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
OK, so we've established that Wade is low level, so if he dies and loses all his experience, it's not that big a deal. He's also been established as unfamiliar with D&D. And he's visiting the Tomb of Horrors, the adventure infamous for its arbitrary traps and deadly puzzles.

So what happens? Oh, he uses a walkthrough to avoid all the dangers.

Because, you know, a sequence of him struggling to overcome the puzzles and having to restart over and over might show Wade's problem solving skills and emphasize his tenacity, but why do that when you can just have him show off his ability to memorize nerd poo poo?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
So, what do the Sixers actually do? I mean, yeah, they're an evil corporation, but they seem totally focused on solving the puzzle, and they haven't made any more progress than anyone else. Do they have a side-business that actually keeps their lights on, or what?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Section 9 posted:

I wonder if one of the reasons he laboriously explains every reference is that he had an original draft of the book, and then was told that some people might not have experienced all of the things he referenced and so he felt he had to add some background and thus doubled the page count of the book. The problem is he did it in the most boring way possible.

One of the many weirdly terrible things about the book, though, is that he doesn't seem to know which are the obscure references that people won't get and which aren't. Like, at one point, he explains who Luke Skywalker is. Dude! People know that one!

(I mean, it doesn't matter, because if you don't get a reference, having it spelled out for you isn't going to increase your enjoyment. "Huh, it's a guy from that thing I haven't seen. Neat.")

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Why do the Sixers even have a Mechagodzilla anyway? Isn't their whole thing meant to be 'souless corporate machine'? They should be using some untextured blob they programmed themselves that doesn't look like anything but gets the job done because they don't care about '80s poo poo, just money. And all the other sixers should be goonswarming the heroes because they don't give a gently caress about simulating a cool robot battle and are just cheesing the hell out of the respawn mechanic to win.

Like, there's no clash of cultures or anything, the Sixers are indistinguishable from the protagonists. It's just two bunch of assholes obsessed with the same pop culture playfighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
So this fucker read the Almanac, recognized the quote at the end as Shakespeare... but didn't bother checking what play it was from or the context it appeared in or anything to see if that was a clue?

Wade, you are the worst puzzle solver in literary history.

• Locked thread