Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Trust me, it gets even stupider when OASIS boots up.

I showed the infamous excerpt to my mom (who was born in 1964) and she was aghast. She said that after living the 80s she didn't want to experience this much of it all at once.

I completely missed Ready Player One till the movie trailers hit.

I have to ask, what's the infamous excerpt that people keep referring to?

Edit: Wait is it the post above from Pastry that I literally just noticed?

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

That also struck me reading through the thread.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Ok. Today was my first exposure to Ready Player One, apart from watching that first trailer a few weeks ago, and I am officially all in on hating this bullshit. I think I actually just sprained my eyeballs from rolling them that hard.

Edit: I am old enough to remember the 80's myself and whoever it was said their Mom was aghast at the prospect of wading through that again. I know exactly how she felt.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 15, 2018

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I can't believe they're going to use the Tomb of Horrors in the film.

It's Speilberg, it'll be something more visually interesting surely.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Well now I'm psyked. :colbert:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

It might be hyperbole to say that whole Wargames section was the worst thing I've ever read. But off the top of my head I can't think of anything worse.

Goddamn.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Kira was the lone girl in their D&D group, and like every D&D group with only one girl everyone began crushing on her. Kira was the only woman Halliday ever spoke to, even though he could only address her as her D&D character, Leucosia. Despite Halliday's crush, she fell in love with Ogden and returned to the United States to date him after they both graduated high school. Kira took the role of artistic director at GSS, then married Morrow and resigned from her position a few years after the launch of OASIS.

As someone who played a lot of D&D in the 80's, this leapt out to me as well.

"as her D&D character, Leucosia"

Singular? They were archetypal playing D&D every night they could and overnight at the weekend D&D 80's nerds and she only had one character in all that time.

Tbf, I suppose she might have insisted on playing the exact same character with the same name for every game, which I've never encountered, but have heard about people doing anecdotally. I'm sure you can imagine the sort of person who'd do that.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Mar 18, 2018

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

That's a real thing for people who started playing D&D in the 70's and for people who learned the game from those people; the game back then was more of a tournament style puzzle-quest, and people treated their characters like self-inserts and loot-collectors that they would carry around from table to table. Most people would play different characters from time to time, but each would also have "their character" usually their favorite and highest level one, that they would use whenever they could get away with it.

Oh right. I was forgetting the type. Get a few of them together and you'd end up with one of those campaigns. Where everyones rocking 60 levels over 3 different character classes and Staffs of the Magi are handed out like candy-floss.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Just looked at the Wikipedia plot summary for Armada, and I'm not sure which it's ripping of more, The Last Starfighter or Enders Game.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

quote:

I spent about fifteen minutes composing one last e-mail, which I addressed to every single OASIS user. Once I was happy with the wording, I stored it in my Drafts folder. Then I logged into Aech’s Basement.

Wait. So anyone can email every other person on the future internet. How fortunate nobody has ever attempted to exploit this ability for financial gain/their own amusement leading to it's removal.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Again, IOI try translating into Klingon but nobody thinks to google song lyrics.

It doesn't occur to anyone 'Well what happens when multiple people with keys approach the gate' which must crack the top 10 of 'Obvious thngs to try'.

Once again, as antagonists IOI are just left Holding the Idiot Ball.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

This has the added "bonus" of being an additional level of awful because Larry Correia is actually a Gamergator/Sad Puppy/alt-right loonie.

Not just a member, he started the whole Sad Puppy thing because he thought his goddamned MHI books weren't receiving their entirely justified (in his head) nominations to win the Hugo Award.

I've even read the first two, which weren't great, but if you could ignore the politcs and the odd BS reference which God knows I've learned to do in a lot of books, they were reasonably competent 'Fiction I read on the Train to/from work books'. But the arrogance to think he was being cheated of what is widely considered the most prestigous award in Science Fiction and Fantasy just beggars belief.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 27, 2018

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I listened to the audiobook and I’d disagree that Wheaton adds anything. He’s passable as a narrator, but is incapable of doing character voices so just reads their dialogue with the disclaimer “I said” or “Max said.”

Wait. He still can't do voices for characters. I listened to Scalzi's Redshirts, which was the worst performance, in the sense there wasn't one, I've ever heard. The same slightly sarcastic WW delivery for every character. In a book with a lot of snappy back and forth dialogue. I assumed he only got the gig as a pal of Scalzi and the whole riffing on Star Trek thing that the book was. But he's still doing them, and he still hasn't mastered what I'd hitherto considered a basic requirement of a reader of audiobook fiction.

Jesus wept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Young Freud posted:

:lol: if you think that the Armada adaptation is going to be close to anything to the book. It's going to have the basic premise but everything else will be crafted by another screenwriter.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

The basic premise is literally just The Last Starfighter.

Actually why not just remake The Last Starfighter?

If the screenwriter did just turns it into a stealth remake of "The Last Starfighter" I would be all loving in, I love that movie. :colbert:

• Locked thread