Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Baron Corbyn posted:

If I'm remembering right, the Red Dwarf novelizations have something along these lines with Better than Life. Everyone who played it became addicted and had to be cared for like a baby because they wouldn't leave the game.

Better Than Life! Yeah they play an updated version where you didn't just "wish for things" like in the episode, because that quickly got boring, but instead tapped into your subconscious desires and created a world so perfect you didn't even know you wanted it! It's been decades since I read it, but I can recall the scene where they finally "escape" was horrific with Lister and the Cat being basically mummified corpses who had been kept on the verge of life through a drip. Conjured images of that fella from Se7en. Real horrible.

Know what else is real horrible? Ready Player One. I'm only echoing people here, but Christ... Cline doesn't have a clue when it comes to setting these things up. The post-apocalyptic thing makes no sense and if I recall correctly becomes a non-point later on in the book when Wade Boggs leaves the stacks. Like, he lives on pizzas that are teleported to him or something? I was thinking the same things as you lot, like if this game CAUSED the world to become lovely it'd give the entire book a bit of subtext, a bit more flavour, make it more interesting.

Also what if Wade was already big into the 80s anyway BEFORE the Easter Egg hunt began? Like, tie it in with his dead ma. She was obsessed with the decade so it doesn't appear Wade has just jumped onto this bandwagon. (which, in itself, if handled right could be another clever bit of subtext or politcal commentary with everyone irl leaping onto 80s Nostalgia) The whole "training montage" bit is so stupid and ham handed. If you want this to play out like Young Adult Fantasy then THAT is what should make this kid special. He's already a huge 80s nerd and doesn't HAVE to research it because he lived it vicariously through his mother. Something. ANYTHING rather than what we got.

And why DIDN'T he make the Oasis some kind of implant? Its Cyberpunk fantasy! Go hog wild with it. Do a Matrix thing and make up some bullshit about everyone's brain being the processor that lets the game run in the first place. Then you might have some stakes at least! Like the IOI can gently caress your mind if they... Sorry.

Sorry. Getting carried away here. Thanks for the thread, dude. I bowed out of the book half way through (if that) but binged 327 pages and now I'm looking forward to slapping my forehead in disbelief along with everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Tunicate posted:

give him the credit for the one piece of subtlety he's had so far, he's very much implying it's addictive there, just not through chemical means

Given that this is Cline we're talking about I'd wager all my XPs that this was completely unintentional.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Mel Mudkiper posted:

reminds me of a fun game for this book

keep track of how many times he describes something as "classic"

Double points for when he refers to something as "classic" instead of describing it.

"He started doing some classic 80s dance moves."
"They wore classic 80s clothes."

Those are the only ones I remember cemented in my brain from 372 pages. I couldn't unsee it after that.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
The whole 80s obsession was brought about BECAUSE of the "Easter Egg", right? I might be wrong here, but that's how it came off to me.

But like it's been said before, it's not even about 80s culture. It's about what Cline likes, the majority of which just happens to be from the 80s.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
So magic still works in non-PVP zones, huh? Does that ever come up again? I doubt it.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

chitoryu12 posted:

It actually does, though not magic specifically. More that even in a non-PvP zone you can still gently caress with each other as long as you aren’t directly attacking other avatars.

No way!

But y'know what... like I said earlier in the thread, this is Cline we're talking about. I'd wager my +1 Vorpal sword that I had no problem attaining that this wasn't a setup for a payoff later.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Someone on Reddit went into some sparse details about the film that line up with what other people have leaked. The first key isn't hidden, it's locked behind a Death Race/Mario kart style destruction derby that nobody has ever beaten. Ties in with the trailer, with a T-Rex chasing people and whatnot. Wade wins by... flying backwards under the map? No idea how that'll play out or how it'll tie into his 80s nostalgia? All I can think of is in Mario kart if you got a feather you could hop over certain walls as shortcuts.
The second key, as Chitoryu said is hidden in the Overlook Hotel. I wanted more information about that, but my phone died before I could scan the thread to see if more was posted. It might be a cool sequence, playing on the spatial horror and impossible geometry that the film brought about. Maybe bring up some of the insane conspiracy theories in there too? Either that or Wade has to fight the Samurai Pizza Cats in Room 237(or 217, amirite TRUE, nerds?)
The only other thing that stood out was at the end, when Wade wins (spoiler alert) he writes it into the Oasis code that the system shuts off on Tuesdays and Thursdays so people have to get out of the house more. lol.

To be honest the whole thing sounds more like a general action film affair and... it might not be entirely terrible?

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

chitoryu12 posted:

I muttered, noting the fear in my own voice.

I too, notice things about myself instead of feeling feelings.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

chitoryu12 posted:

(and before moving on to Armada)

You're the best.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

letting the ego hold influence

Oops, sorry.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
The arse end of this week will be hellish without this thread to read in work. Enjoy the wedding though, mate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Ready Player 69, dude.

I caught a bit of the film last night. Random scene I walked in on was Wade reciting fact about The Shining followed by a nightmarish roller coaster scene of a goblin being chased by zombies with axes and giant monsters.

It was somehow worse than I'd imagined.

• Locked thread