Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

divabot posted:

Brad Torgerson is the best Sad Puppy, because he's the grown adult man who literally writes words for a living, and literally complained that he could not tell the contents of a book from its cover, like you could in the 70s. Which only conclusively proved he never bought one book in the actual 70s, 'cos every cover looked like the artist had gobbled a blotter of LSD first.

A defining trait of the Sad Puppies is that none of them seem to actually read books. They're always longing for a golden age of genre fiction that never existed, lamenting a current day of SJW-dominated, liberal-message-driven genre fiction that also doesn't exist, and when you try to pin them down on specifics the best they can muster is "But nobody is buying my books, and it's not fair!"

(Because they believe in the power of the free market, but if their books aren't selling, clearly the free market has been disrupted by evil liberals.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

Angry Salami posted:

Why do the Sixers even have a Mechagodzilla anyway? Isn't their whole thing meant to be 'souless corporate machine'? They should be using some untextured blob they programmed themselves that doesn't look like anything but gets the job done because they don't care about '80s poo poo, just money.

If they did that, Cline would have to explain how anything gets programmed into the Oasis in the first place, who approves content, who runs the drat thing, how the game mechanics actually work, and a hundred other questions he completely ignores. "It's a magic quest drop that has arbitrary power levels because magic quest drop" is the best we're gonna get here.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

quote:

“The bastard will probably get off scot-free,” I said. “IOI can afford to hire the best lawyers in the world.”

“Yes, they can,” Aech said. Then he flashed his Cheshire grin. “But now so can we.”

This...this is not how criminal trials work. "Sorry, sir, we thought getting you off was a slam dunk, but it turns out Wade hired the best defense attorneys on earth and convinced them all to become your prosecutors. That's a thing he can do now, because he's the best at everything and has all the money."

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016
Wade is also going to have to spend the rest of his life in deep hiding. This is not a happy ending. The guy has absolute dictatorial control over the Oasis, including a doomsday button, and has a shitload of ways to affect (or tank) the global economy in a heartbeat. And all someone has to do is grab him, hold a branding iron against his nutsack until he gives up his account password, and now they're the new God of Oasis. And they didn't even have to play a perfect game of Pac-Man to do it.

(Which would make a great alternate ending to this pile of poo poo. Suddenly Wade gets a bag over his head, he finds himself tied to a chair in a room with Sorrento who is out on bail, Sorrento's hooking up a couple of jumper cables to a car battery and he's all, "poo poo, we should have just let you win from the start, this is WAY easier.")

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

chitoryu12 posted:

But I'd also like to do things like show Art3mis and Wade's dates, like doing Rocky Horror together, to actually try and make their relationship seem meaningful when it ends.

I had never seen Rocky Horror. Why would I? It came out in the seventies and wasn't released on VHS until 1990, putting it outside the scope of the egg quest. I didn't understand why Art3mis would waste her time watching it. But she had to have a reason, and she had to have a reason for inviting me to the screening. I dove deep. Pulled up an original 1975 print transferred to digital with every cigarette burn and pin-scratch intact, and I studied the flaws like they were clues written in a foreign language. People, these "shadow casts," re-enacted the entire movie on stage while it was happening. My eureka moment! Just like I'd done with my very private screening of Wargames! That was the "key," what Art3mis must have been telling me, but I still couldn't figure out how it related to the gunter mission. Halliday wouldn't have seen the movie during his formative years, couldn't have, at least not according to the lore. Nothing in any of his archives, his logs, his emails, his obsessively-compiled notes, said one word about Rocky Horror.

I dove deeper. I watched it fifteen more times. I grabbed the abortive FOX television remake of 2016 and watched that another ten. I made notes, charted character connections, learned the lyrics to every song by heart. Toucha-toucha-touch-me? I didn't want to be dirty, I wanted to win the egg. And I wanted to win Art3mis. Do the time warp? I took my Delorean replica to Planet Transylvania and threw toast and toilet paper in a thousand possible trigger-spots hoping I'd set off a pre-programmed message. No. I was a hopeless virgin. Also a Rocky virgin.

"I don't get it, Aech. I've learned the biographies of every cast member. I've seen every movie that every single one of them was ever in. And nothing connects to the next key."

"Did you ever think," Aech said, with the wisdom of a girl who was just playing a guy online though I knew that was impossible, "maybe she just wants to hang out with you and share something she enjoys? Maybe it doesn't have anything to do with the quest. Just go and have fun."

Fun. I'd seen that word. People in the eighties had fun, I had read. These movies I studied, the video games I mastered, they were all created for "fun."

"I don't know how to do that," I said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

Young Freud posted:

Dawn Of The Dead might not be '80s but Return Of The Living Dead as sure as he'll is. Also, RotLD is where the whole "Brains" trope comes from: it's the Tar Man's signature line and there's a part where Burt & Ernst interrogate a zombie which reveals they eat brains to relieve them of the pain of death.

I find it so bizarre that the "braiiins" line, and the idea that zombies eat brains, has become common cultural knowledge while the ROTLD flicks haven't. I remember an interviewer asking George Romero where he got the idea for zombies to eat brains and why, and he tried to very politely explain that she was thinking of a totally different series of movies.

• Locked thread