Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
Perhaps this book is actually brilliant because it’s written by Wade and Wade is meant to be terrible and unfamiliar with the editing process!

But also I think it should have been written as events unfolded and maybe had multiple perspectives.

If care were taken, this book could be re-written from any of the other characters’ POV and then Cline would make it canon! and then we’d have all won. Kinda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burial
Sep 13, 2002

I keep reading “Larry Correia” as “Lady Correia” and my mind then assumes it’s gotta be some high fantasy princess character.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

I guess I figured the biggest sin IOI committed (in the realm of cheating the TOS) was account sharing/letting more than one user control a particular avatar.

That’s bannable. :colbert:

burial
Sep 13, 2002

When someone rewrites this, how is the SA gunter clan going to be portrayed?

burial
Sep 13, 2002

It doesn’t have to be so grounded in reality, does it? A clan with tight moderation and a sick sense of humour could make for interesting background noise.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Somewhere along the line somebody (possibly even me? if not I at least internally agreed) said that things would be more interesting/the relationships in the book would feel more real if we were given more than just Wade’s perspective.

The idea of interspersing “found”/supplementary documents could really help with that. I, for one, would like to read some excerpts from Arty’s Missives (or whatever it was called.) Maybe throw some personal blog entries in there too to give a reader some perspective on her actual character and private feelings re:Parzival, the hunt, etc.

I’m sure a similar thing could be done for the other main characters too, but I feel like there has to be a way to make the delivery methods/segments distinct from one another.

Maybe Aech journaled in a bunch of classic (heh) composition notebooks from the offline comfort of her battle RV!

Is the plan still to make Daito and Shoto some midwestern weebs?

burial fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 5, 2018

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Quoted myself. Oops.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

I’m a dude but I’ll play a medic so I can get focus-fired down.

Seriously though. Why doesn’t the OASIS have dedicated healers?

burial
Sep 13, 2002

chitoryu12 posted:

Also the movie has some really great dialogue and some really bad dialogue. One that could go either way is Wade calling Aunt Alice's boyfriend a noob, so he punches him in the jaw.

I chuckled a little just thinking about it. (I haven’t seen the movie.)

burial
Sep 13, 2002

I saw the movie the other day. I’m not going to say I hated it, but I had a lot of new and exciting problems with it that I didn’t with the original text, flawed though it obviously is.

They didn’t even leave in the bit about Wade having no money before he stumbled onto the first key. He just, like, started out with a vehicle and fancy avatar and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burial
Sep 13, 2002

I just liked the dirt poor angle. Which isn’t the case even if he needed fuel, considering he had a treadmill set up in his van hideout.

e: And his aunt’s boyfriend was doing PVP and stuff. She seemed way more sympathetic too. Bleh. Would’ve liked to see more of the old lady before she got killed.

burial fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 12, 2018

• Locked thread