Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Memento posted:

He's not even memorising it, is he? Doesn't he just have a :filez: PDF of the module opened up in his field of view so he can walk past everything by looking it up?

Yup. Makes the whole 'xps for completing quests, and game currency for finding gold' thing hilarious too, as there's a whole world of published D&D mods that everyone has access to the solutions for, so why aren't gunters all rolling in bitcoin from grinding them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

PJOmega posted:

In universe it is because Halliday's quest has loving destroyed a generation of culture. Millions of kids and content generators don't see any other avenue out of abject poverty but to pour themselves into the mold of an autistic old man with a raging nostalgia boner.

The hilarious part is, I'm pretty sure that's an entirely unintentional reading of Cline's work. He honestly thinks 80's kitsch is superior enough that it would overwhelm the current pop culture if people just had a reason to dig into it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Better question. If IoI has that much money and power in the real world, why do they give a gently caress about Halliday's game when they could be buying Senators and controlling the game via FCC regs for vastly less.

Or just goldfarming until they break the economy.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

There's another question about this whole disaster of a world building attempt. You have a long running semi progressive nerd President. Why is the country still a corporate dystopia if the position has any power?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

That's a real thing for people who started playing D&D in the 70's and for people who learned the game from those people; the game back then was more of a tournament style puzzle-quest, and people treated their characters like self-inserts and loot-collectors that they would carry around from table to table. Most people would play different characters from time to time, but each would also have "their character" usually their favorite and highest level one, that they would use whenever they could get away with it.

Some of the earliest ones became famous when their authors wrote role-playing supplements and used them as NPCs, which is why you still have things in the PHB named after Drawmij (Jim Ward spells backwards), Mordenkainen (Gygax's character), Melf the Elf (Gygax's son's character) , etc.

That's where all the main characters came from for Dragonlance as well. They're mostly all PCs from a campaign run in Hickman's apartment for a bunch of writer friends.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Paladin posted:

Pile "Aech and Art3mis are the same person" onto the list of better plot twists this book COULD have had.

That is much more interesting, and I wish we got that instead.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Paingod556 posted:

The PvP restriction only stops physical harm. Mental and psychological harm, however...

I'm still wondering how this works with the Block feature. I mean, you can mute them, but they can still spawn a locker around you?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

iospace posted:

FORTRAN is still being used today, believe it or not. It has some very niche roles and is still getting updates to the actual language itself (and a lot of legacy code being maintained).

One of the old salts I used to work with was fluent in it. He'd still take occasional contract gigs for high five digits for a week of work on some arcane production system that nothing else would work in and which was impossible to replace.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

What really baffles me is the idea of all this stuff like tabletop RPGs being some kind of lost knowledge that even adults don’t know about until clued in by the Hunt.

In reality, all of this poo poo is still popular. WarGames is still quoted and watched, though you probably don’t have it completely memorized. D&D is incredibly popular. Everyone reads old comics.

Cline seems to think that within 20 years, everything that’s popular will just be forgotten unless obsessive nerds force us to watch it.

Hell, Tomb of Horrors itself was re-released last year by WotC. We played it at a gaming con over the winter. It's fun, if brutal, but hey that's 40 year old RPG design.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Deptfordx posted:

Just looked at the Wikipedia plot summary for Armada, and I'm not sure which it's ripping of more, The Last Starfighter or Enders Game.

Por que no los dos?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

I kinda want to keep the Let's Read stuff going with more famous bad books. I started out with cheap pulp that I read as a kid, but major stuff that gets big film adaptations seems to bring out a lot of earnest discussion and entertainment.

There's a Sword of Truth let's read going over in TG right now that is nearly as painful as this one.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

Also, I was given a recommendation from Back Hack to tackle Monster Hunter International next. This was an easy solution, partly because I could get a Kindle copy for free and partly because this is the synopsis:

And this is the author bio on Amazon:

Larry Correia is a giant butthurt manbaby who looks exactly like you would expect of someone who got so angry over POC and LGBT SF/F authors getting Hugo Awards that he tried to bring down the awards in general. The general Worldcon voters hated his Sad Puppy slate of candidates so much they refused to award several Hugos rather than give them to any of those nominations

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 28, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Young Freud posted:

Also, why even bother with setting up an indentured servitude system where you have to pay for room and board when you can rig up some "gig economy" equivalent and the slaves pay you for the privilege of working for you?

This bit actally makes sense. They indenture people for not paying their ISP bill. It's a collections process.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Leofish posted:

What would be the Oasis equivalent of being told to post a thread on the Oprah forums or something in order to get into Goonter Squad?

Take them to Planet Goatse, and keep the ones who notice the ring, clearly. Can you imagine how jaded we'd be if we could experience the Internet interactively?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

Also notice how the two main mechs in this final battle (Mechagodzilla and Leopardon) are from the 70s and Ultraman is from the 60s, so the most prominent artifacts we've seen aren't even from the 80s in a book that's exclusively about 80s nostalgia!

I know there's some EVA units thrown in there and Voltron, but trust me when I say they're not going to matter one bit.

Hilariously, EVA units are mid-1990's too.

Poops Mcgoots posted:

The hosed up thing imo is that Cline could've gone for another Hideaki Anno Mecha anime and brought in Gunbuster, but I guess that would've required doing research on a deeper reference and we can't have that!

GUNBUSTER would actually loving -be- 80's!

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 2, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Grenrow posted:

Yeah, like the supply robots they use being some movie reference. Why the gently caress do they bother? They're working for a paycheck; they don't give a gently caress about any of this pop culture bullshit. That line is really weird because Wade is bitching about them just copying stuff from the 80s. Motherfucker had a living room modeled after the one from Family Ties, which isn't even relevant to the plot. All of the egg hunt stuff comes from sci-fi movies, tabletop rpgs, and video games, so he didn't have to bother with any sitcoms to begin with.

A short list of more interesting things that could be referenced if Cline actually gave a poo poo about the 80's, -famous- movies and TV only, as filtered through the favorites of my nerdy friends. He may even have hit a couple of the real popular ones by accident:

Die Hard
Aliens
The Terminator
Princess Bride
Night Court
Full Metal Jacket
Scarface
The A-Team
Poltergeist
Top Gun
Dukes of Hazzard
Crocodile Dundee
Spaceballs
Quantum Leap
Blade Runner
The Blues Brothers
GI Joe
The Three Amigos
ThunderCats
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
Uncle Buck
RoboCop
MacGyver
Rambo
Star Trek TNG
Transformers
Weird Science
Alf
Labyrinth
Conan the Barbarian
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Mad Max:Beyond Thunderdome

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

loquacius posted:

The vast majority of Cline's 80s references are super basic, but it could charitably be argued that he focuses on these to appeal to his audience. Oddly enough, the only actually obscure things he's referenced as far as I remember are Japanese TV shows from the 70s

you of course mean to say "one-time set piece that does nothing of value and is immediately forgotten"

Hell, Dragon Ball was entirely in the 80's, and DBZ started in 89.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah I think more than one person in this thread predicted exactly what was going to happen.

Fun note. The quarter as extra life was featured in Scott Pilgrim Volume 3, released in 2006. He uses it in Volume 6, released in 2010. RPO released in 2011.

Bit of math there...

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

It would be so much better if one of the competitors had to exclude the other two who were their buddies, just like Halliday's two friends excluded him by hooking up.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

StonecutterJoe posted:

This...this is not how criminal trials work. "Sorry, sir, we thought getting you off was a slam dunk, but it turns out Wade hired the best defense attorneys on earth and convinced them all to become your prosecutors. That's a thing he can do now, because he's the best at everything and has all the money."

I assume the author is conflating criminal prosecution with suing over breach of contract and TOS.

I mean, Wade could just ban IOI and all employees thereof and confiscate their in game cash. He can do that now.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

Too recent for Cline's nostalg-o-vision to detect and too obscure for his wading pool-depth tastes.

Anyway, GOOD NEWS, EVERYONE: Thanks to RP1 doing gangbusters at the box office, Universal Studios has fast-tracked the Armada movie into production.

ENDLESS TRAAAAAAAASSSSSSH!!!!

“Arbogast had then assembled a dream team of creative consultants and contractors to help make his bold claim a reality, luring some of the videogame industry’s brightest stars away from their own companies and projects, with the sole promise of collaborating on his groundbreaking new MMOs. That was how gaming legends like Chris Roberts, Richard Garriott, Hidetaka Miyazaki, Gabe Newell, and Shigeru Miyamoto had all wound up as consultants on both Terra Firma and Armada—along with several big Hollywood filmmakers, including James Cameron, who had contributed to the EDA’s realistic ship and mech designs, and Peter Jackson, whose Weta Workshop had rendered all of the in-game cinematics.”
― Ernest Cline, Armada

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

loquacius posted:

Yeahhhh I dunno, I've already read Reamde.

e: I'm pretty sure Shigeru Miyamoto would be fuckin' miserable working on a serious dramatic space MMO

Yeah, as usual for Cline, that list is just a Wikipedia entry of top names in gaming. Gabe Newell hasn't done any game design in decades, and even then he barely touched any of Valve's stuff as he was focused on Steam as a platform. Lord British and Roberts are each into their own several years without any results post-Kickstarter schemes, and Miyazaki is a project manager (and a drat good one) more than a game dev.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Choco1980 posted:

Wait, nobody can figure why Mt Shasta is on the paranormal/conspiracy world? Have they ever researched ANYTHING about Mt. Shasta? If you're from NorCal, literally every story you have about it is that it's Weird Stuff Central, everything from weird lights in the sky to bigfoot to shady MIB reports there.

Unrelated, Re: James Cameron as a designer, he spent years and years on preproduction of Avatar designing everything from the exact way the airship rotors moved to the length of the leaves on the plants. Dude is a visual detail man, I can accept his participation.

He'll, I figured it was a Shadowrun reference.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, but Cline ain't writing this version, so chitoryu12's free to let Sorrento mop the floor with him and come within fingertip's reach of the Egg to, you know, have some actual drat tension in this story for just a moment.

Exactly. Also to have the friend's avatar-deaths be more meaningful than 'whoops bomb'. Go full mecha show climax and let him pick them off as wade struggles to keep up. Build some drat tension.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

F'Nale.

As in Final.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

loquacius posted:

It would also be extremely lucrative to be basically an OASIS serial killer, just sort of hiding out in alleyways waiting to gank people from ambush all day, if that could literally pay your rent

Def makes a lot more sense for it to be a virtual fake currency like in actual video games

Imagine how horribly vicious the Goon Wars on Eve would be if they could pay their rent instead of just denying people their spacebucks. If PVP pays in real money, then the Oasis should be a blood-soaked wasteland.

• Locked thread