Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I'm so confused.

So energy is now expensive which is why we can afford to run all these VR headsets? But not run an electric car or something to get around?

Also was there a nuclear exchange in the first paragraph?

There's a loving nuclear war going on, and these kids are just allowed to sit around and play video games instead of being drafted to fight? Cities are going up in atomic flame and people are seriously just sitting around playing an MMO? Sure, it's been 5 years since the nukes were launched but I can't imagine the government just letting 18-year-olds play video games all day. This is the kind of poo poo that would cause martial law to be instituted, not provide an acceptable excuse for dicking around in the magic bullshit MMO!

I think the implication is that nuclear terrorism is an increasingly common occurrence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

mlmp08 posted:

Holy hell, this is bad.

Also, I'm not some 80s pop culture nerd mega geek. And still, just about everything in that litany of Halliday's favorites are things that I'm just kind of like... yeah? Everyone has heard of that. They might debate the merits, but EVERYONE KNOWS ABOUT THESE THINGS. It's difficult for me to wrap my head around reading such a popular and fairly banal list, which admittedly includes some very good work that I like, and then as the reader feeling some connection to how cool you and also this character are.

That's why this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWPMJwHrWFU was such a great criticism of RPO, after she got some guff that if she didn't like it she must not have gotten the references.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

"Stocky", with a waist narrower than her head.

EDIT: VVV Oh, you met the Japanese brothers? VVVV

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 16, 2018

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Tunicate posted:

well if they remove like 98% of the book the movie might be okayish

Pretty much sums it up right there.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

nerdz posted:

Also lol that someone that enjoyed blade runner would call the replicants "skin jobs". Way to actually understand the movie, dipshit

There has been no evidence whatsoever in this book that Cline, Halliday, or Wade actually understand any of these properties on a level deeper than a sidewalk puddle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

I'm way back on page 5 and the Acererak thing is confusing me. I thought that guy was in Tomb of Annihilation.

Tom of Annihilation is a recent reboot/ripoff of the old Tomb of Horrors tournament module.

• Locked thread