Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kenby
Apr 26, 2012

The producer said this was because "no one should want" to go back to the old souls since they've received years of fixes and balance improvements. Um.... I thought that was the point of a prime server!?

I think the real reason is that they don't have a way to recreate the old builds. They've basically forked the live build and restricted the content to level 50 and removed a few activities and post-50 skills to make it seem like old rift.

It's not the end of the world I guess, but a little disappointing. I was hoping to rediscover some cool builds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Yeah I was looking forward to playing a Sab again but this version is nowhere near as fun to play. It's still a super high DPS build in the early game but by the 20s/30s it falls behind badly to Mystic Archer and Defiler/Cab.

I've never played a cleric until now and Defiler (costs 2000 planarite) is a lot of fun but has literally zero AOE damage until high levels, but it has DOTs that do like 4-5 times more damage than the inquisitor ones. I've been able to solo elite rift mobs easily and it can grind multiple normal mobs at a time indefinitely.

At least through the mid game, warriors appear to be pretty much useless. They don't tank as well as Justicar or Bladedancer, they don't have a super high DPS build that I've encountered, support souls in general are useless while leveling, and I haven't grouped with any healer warrior yet.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I was hoping to reuse the builds I meticulously built for raiding back in 2011, but I suspect they're no longer remotely valid. Like instead of 51/10/6 or whatever sent/pur/ward I'm gonna feel compelled to put as many points as possible into Oracle for the 0.5% increase in universal healing per point spent in the tree.

It'd be easy to balance that with similar passives for points in the old trees, which I don't think they have

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Frog Act posted:

I was hoping to reuse the builds I meticulously built for raiding back in 2011, but I suspect they're no longer remotely valid. Like instead of 51/10/6 or whatever sent/pur/ward I'm gonna feel compelled to put as many points as possible into Oracle for the 0.5% increase in universal healing per point spent in the tree.

It'd be easy to balance that with similar passives for points in the old trees, which I don't think they have

The other healing souls give 1% healing and 1% absorb per point, warder also gives .5% damage. Every soul gives something similar depending on what role they fill.

That being said, no 2011 builds will be the same today due to all the trees/roots having things shuffled around or removed/added.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 18, 2018

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Suprfli6 posted:

The other healing souls give 1% healing and 1% absorb per point, warder also gives .5% damage. Every soul gives something similar depending on what role they fill.

That being said, no 2011 builds will be the same today due to all the trees/roots having things shuffled around or removed/added.

ah well that changes things, as long as my usual soul combo is still viable I'm content. I only really hear about the physician class or whatever, which people seem to like. Looking at the oracle ability tree I don't know that I see too many compelling reasons to choose one of them over a traditional bard/archon but its nice to have a support option.

As much as I would prefer healing my buddy I'm playing with is leveling as Chloro and with him in a dungeon with me tanking we can pretty much roll through everything so I suspect I'll be tanking up til cap

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Frog Act posted:

ah well that changes things, as long as my usual soul combo is still viable I'm content. I only really hear about the physician class or whatever, which people seem to like. Looking at the oracle ability tree I don't know that I see too many compelling reasons to choose one of them over a traditional bard/archon but its nice to have a support option.

As much as I would prefer healing my buddy I'm playing with is leveling as Chloro and with him in a dungeon with me tanking we can pretty much roll through everything so I suspect I'll be tanking up til cap

What was your characters name. I main tanked for the goon guild at launch, and quit when we couldn't kill the first dragon and make zero progress on the second purple raid area.

Were you Disco?

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
what WoW clone circa 2009 did players move on to after Rift went downhill?

WoW Vanilla: poo poo
WoW TBC: The best
WoW WotLK: WoW peaked at Ulduar. Started going downhill and Heroics were way too loving easy, though it was fun getting full sets of good gear from mindlessly running dungeons in 15-20 minutes no matter how bad your PUG was. Lich King was very memorable fight too, I still remember all the wipes to Defile and those gargoyles that would pick people up.
WoW Cata: So bad it basically killed the game

I felt Rift was like in-between TBC and WotLK. I don't know what the modern-day replacement is if I liked that era of MMOs.

Alpha Mayo fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 19, 2018

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

DangerDongs posted:

What was your characters name. I main tanked for the goon guild at launch, and quit when we couldn't kill the first dragon and make zero progress on the second purple raid area.

Were you Disco?

I didn't play in the goon guild, my best friend ran a guild and we did all the raids from the initial content up through Akylios before quitting (well, I quit about halfway into HK and only tried the later bosses once or twice). Are you talking about Greenscale's Blight and River of Souls? We cleared both of those many many times and it took us awhile to get them down pat but I had as much fun with those as I did with WoW raiding in WOTLK. They were mechanically complicated enough to be challenging but doable and unique and the rewards felt proportional with the currency system giving a nice incentive and way to accumulate gear alongside drops.

Right now on Prime though I'm having a hard time with Cleric healing. I tried healing Deepstrike Mines at the recommended level (24) and I couldn't keep the tank up, and they asked me to leave. Compared to the premade spec I'm only off by like four points, which I'm confident are better alllocations, and shouldn't be enough of a difference to mess up my healing. I'm confident I'm using the right spells because I healed with this class for like a year and a half, my numbers just kind of suck poo poo and it is a little odd.

Kenby
Apr 26, 2012

Frog Act posted:

Right now on Prime though I'm having a hard time with Cleric healing. I tried healing Deepstrike Mines at the recommended level (24) and I couldn't keep the tank up, and they asked me to leave. Compared to the premade spec I'm only off by like four points, which I'm confident are better alllocations, and shouldn't be enough of a difference to mess up my healing. I'm confident I'm using the right spells because I healed with this class for like a year and a half, my numbers just kind of suck poo poo and it is a little odd.

Things do not seem tuned right. I've failed darkening deeps twice, and both times the healer couldn't keep the tank alive on the first boss even after the adds were dead. I've also had to stop dps'ing to help heal the tank in multiple dungeons. The worst part is I'm four levels behind the quests now, so dungeons are the only option.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Yup the first raid and the one released directly after. The bomb fight where you had to look away was fun.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Schubalts posted:

It's because the level scaling was broken as gently caress, and also took into account the strength of every other player in the region.

what the actual gently caress??

Oh trion has announced fresh start progression crippled archeage servers.

We got no content for the poo poo we have so we'll slow everything down so you can do it again.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Kenby posted:

Things do not seem tuned right. I've failed darkening deeps twice, and both times the healer couldn't keep the tank alive on the first boss even after the adds were dead. I've also had to stop dps'ing to help heal the tank in multiple dungeons. The worst part is I'm four levels behind the quests now, so dungeons are the only option.

LFG dungeons beyond IT/RotF are total crap-shoots. If you get 2-3 good dps (MA, Sab, Cab/Def) you will obliterate everything. If you don't, the first DD boss, second DSM boss, two of the FC bosses, etc will be virtually impossible. I ran DSM with a random group yesterday as a Defiler, with a sab AND a MA, and we killed the second boss before he summoned the 3 mages and went immune. We stuck together and ran it a few times because of how fast and easy it was. Other groups I've been in, only get the boss to like 50% before he summons the mages and then the tank just gets blown up.

My Defiler build can sustain over 500 single target dps at 30, other builds are lucky to do half that. We're getting another exp boost Wednesday apparently which will hopefully make the grind to 50 more bearable. The level 50 test parses people did actually showed reasonably balanced numbers, but pre 50 it's a shitshow. Warriors don't have a single good dps build for example, and they tank like poo poo if they don't buy the paladin soul.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

That makes me feel better. I thought I must have been doing something wrong, but it was the second boss in DSM (and the first boss in DD) that I've been unable to heal solo, which wasn't the case back in the day, when I healed these dungeons solo on Elite and regular hundreds of times with no trouble.

Are Chloromancers just, like, the only acceptable healing class for low level dungeons? And Clerics the only tank? It's like kinda topsy turvy opposite land to original RIFT where Clerics were the best dungeon healers, Chloros flourished in raids, etc

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Purifier seems to be the most popular pre 50 cleric healer, and yeah warrior tanks that haven't bought the paladin soul tend to be harder to heal than cleric and rogue tanks.

I grouped with a Physician+Tact rogue healer and they are very good too but require 20+2 thousand planarite so I doubt you'll see many pre-50. Same for mage tank or warrior healer.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 19, 2018

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah, there used to be a bit of a division over purifier/sentinel, with it mostly coming down to a difference between who wanted mitigation and who wanted reactive heals, which also varied depending on fight/party composition. Its instant cast stuff really goes a long way because its spammable, it costs very little mana, and the more you spam the more likely you are to achieve a crit, which can be dope. In vanilla the problem was that it wasn't mana efficient and thus sentinel was a good option despite the 2.5s cast time on its main heal.

Right now I never drop below 80% mana healing (only got that low once in pvp), and never like 90% in dungeons, so purifier spamming is probably super easy and efficient with whatever mana changes they seem to have made.

I just logged in and tried to do a DD and the Cleric couldn't keep me healed through Tenegar Deepfang. We lost a party member before that after loving up on the first boss, too. The Cleric kept refusing to stack with the rest of the party, so the melee dps couldn't contribute to taking him out of his web, which added like five seconds to the time it took to free him, thus ensuring he wouldn't be able to heal for like 10s because of the cast time, which is more than enough time for the boss to kill any tank. Even a mentor with excellent gear.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Alpha Mayo posted:

what WoW clone circa 2009 did players move on to after Rift went downhill?

WoW Vanilla: poo poo
WoW TBC: The best
WoW WotLK: WoW peaked at Ulduar. Started going downhill and Heroics were way too loving easy, though it was fun getting full sets of good gear from mindlessly running dungeons in 15-20 minutes no matter how bad your PUG was. Lich King was very memorable fight too, I still remember all the wipes to Defile and those gargoyles that would pick people up.
WoW Cata: So bad it basically killed the game

I felt Rift was like in-between TBC and WotLK. I don't know what the modern-day replacement is if I liked that era of MMOs.

I think the player count for WoW loving SKYROCKETED during Legion so Cata and that awful Draenor expansion combined didn't come close to killing the game. Nothing ever will, I think

I remember when Goons were SUPER HOT for both Vanguard(ha) and Age of Conan(lol)

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I'm in a guild with a lot of players who are friendly with Trion devs since they've played on live for years, and apparently the quest exp on Wednesday will be more than doubling, plus the way they are tweaking it will give them the ability to adjust it on the fly in the future rather than requiring a patch. So that is encouraging. I'm not completing any quests until then.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 19, 2018

Kenby
Apr 26, 2012

Suprfli6 posted:

I'm in a guild with a lot of players who are friendly with Trion devs since they've played on live for years, and apparently the quest exp on Wednesday will be more than doubling, plus the way they are tweaking it will give them the ability to adjust it on the fly in the future rather than requiring a patch. So that is encouraging. I'm not completing any quests until then.

Nice. I'll wait till Wednesday and reroll. I'm not really feeling the cleric anyways since that's what half the server rolled. Need to feel special. :shobon:

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Kenby posted:

Nice. I'll wait till Wednesday and reroll. I'm not really feeling the cleric anyways since that's what half the server rolled. Need to feel special. :shobon:

They did say the quest exp boost will vary a bit so 1-20 will get a smaller boost than 25+ I'd imagine.

Seems like warrior is the least played class by far atm, cleric is probably the most but not by a whole lot over rogue and mage. I'm not sure how accurate it will be but cleric actually had the highest single target dps by the guys doing the level 50 testing, with a druid melee build. I think defiler was middle of the pack at 50 which seems really weird given how OP it is at the mid levels. Justicar and their healing builds will still be good at 50 too I'm sure.

Also, at level 30/31 I've found that as a defiler I can solo some FC trash via kiting to the entrance, killing 1-3 things, and zoning out. It's actually kind of fun and better exp than normal grinding or rifts so I guess I'll get a few levels doing this until Wednesday.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 20, 2018

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

omg chael crash posted:

I think the player count for WoW loving SKYROCKETED during Legion so Cata and that awful Draenor expansion combined didn't come close to killing the game. Nothing ever will, I think

I remember when Goons were SUPER HOT for both Vanguard(ha) and Age of Conan(lol)

Legion was pretty good. Not my cup of tea but it isn't terrible. WoD looked awesome because people were thinking it's back to Outland (TBC) which was the best expansion, then turned out to be awful.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
WoD is the expansion where Blizzard stopped publishing subscriber numbers wasnt it?

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
TBC was a bad expansion, unlike Legion.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

CoffeeBooze posted:

WoD is the expansion where Blizzard stopped publishing subscriber numbers wasnt it?

If they did they started publishing them again with Legion. Monthly Active Users is in the range of 8-9 million.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Yeah, Legion is/was good

Kenby
Apr 26, 2012

I like how this thread followed the same progression as /4 chat in-game.

Also, fingers crossed for my fellow Mid-Atlanticans that we get a work-from-home day tomorrow for the hotfix.

Kenby fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 21, 2018

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So what guilds are ya'll in? My friend and I wanna find a big active guild and ours is kinda dying out cus the leader doesn't log in much.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Frog Act posted:

So what guilds are ya'll in? My friend and I wanna find a big active guild and ours is kinda dying out cus the leader doesn't log in much.

I'm in Old Skool which is the mmorpg.com guild and is at the 1000 character cap. I don't know if I'll stay in it at 50 or not but it's nice for forming groups and having guild perks and crafters in the mean time.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

Haven't played since some time after launch. This wardrobe feature is the best I've seen in any mmo. Anything else I should watch out for/do on this prime server?

I vaguely remember an Instant Action thing, did that get axed?

Kenby
Apr 26, 2012

My Gimmick Name posted:

Haven't played since some time after launch. This wardrobe feature is the best I've seen in any mmo. Anything else I should watch out for/do on this prime server?

Yeah, instant adventure is gone.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

My Gimmick Name posted:

If you roll a warrior be prepared to suck rear end for fifty levels

I hit level 34 yesterday and I've been really enjoying the new quest exp, and pvp is actually pretty fun. I've been consistently getting first or second place healing as a sentinel spamming single target invocations

My guild is getting pretty big, the right size to cultivate a regular group of raiders, if any goons want in I'm Edmund

Sardikar
Sep 27, 2004
I cant think of anything to put here.

First played at beta, stopped before it went free to play and only just came back for the progression server.

That magic feeling running around in a big group of randoms smashing invasions in Freemarch, it's back.

It feels fresh due in my case I have not played in ages but I still kind of know what to do, and talking to other players and doing random instances I think alot of other people are feeling the same.

Anyway on my Mage Sardikar, anyone suggest a good guild?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

It is fun so far until you hit a gap with no quests and have to grind dungeons, which happens in the 40s atm. PvP and rifts/invasions stop giving decent exp at around the same point so dungeons are really the only option. Even as a Defiler that can solo elites easily, at level 42 I'd have to kill over 600 42-43 elites to get a level, and because of the exp curve that number will rise a lot for every additional level as I get closer to 50. So most people are grinding LH several dozen times and then grinding part of AP for 48-50.

If Trion had pushed this server back a month or two and actually tested it, it would have made such a difference.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Sardikar posted:

First played at beta, stopped before it went free to play and only just came back for the progression server.

That magic feeling running around in a big group of randoms smashing invasions in Freemarch, it's back.

It feels fresh due in my case I have not played in ages but I still kind of know what to do, and talking to other players and doing random instances I think alot of other people are feeling the same.

Anyway on my Mage Sardikar, anyone suggest a good guild?

I can invite you to the guild I'm in tonight, it is pretty good and has relatively nice people who want to raid eventually

Suprfli6 posted:

It is fun so far until you hit a gap with no quests and have to grind dungeons, which happens in the 40s atm. PvP and rifts/invasions stop giving decent exp at around the same point so dungeons are really the only option. Even as a Defiler that can solo elites easily, at level 42 I'd have to kill over 600 42-43 elites to get a level, and because of the exp curve that number will rise a lot for every additional level as I get closer to 50. So most people are grinding LH several dozen times and then grinding part of AP for 48-50.

If Trion had pushed this server back a month or two and actually tested it, it would have made such a difference.

Yeah, as much as I'm having fun, I can't believe the state of game in terms of general balance. Every single dungeon is hosed, classes are largely hosed, quests are hosed. I don't care much because I want to raid but I'm beginning to feel concerned that when the raids release they, too, will be hosed and suffer from the same issues with massive damage and stuff as the current instances. From what I've heard they have literally one guy working on fixing the raids so lmao

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

They just disabled Wrathful Exuberance with no announcement or downtime or anything lol. Granted it was dumb that sentinels were doing the highest single target dps on the server by spamming heals on somebody but the way Trion has handled all these bugs and imbalances is pretty awful. Between the sentinel dps and the current state of expert dungeons (trash and bosses are basically punching bags, mechanics can be largely ignored) a lot of people got geared in a hurry and now things might change a bit.

I found a fast way to level 40-44 if anyone is approaching that range and doesn't want to dungeon spam. In Lantern Hook (the city, not the dungeon) there's a quest chain that starts with "A Fall Tale" and ends with "Battle Royal". When you start Battle Royale, an entire arena of mobs become hostile and a bunch of NPCs spawn and help you kill them. If you stay mounted, talk to the trigger npc, and ride outside you can get out before anything starts fighting. Then you can do a bit of damage from max range to one mob that the friendly NPCs are about to kill. If you do it right you will stay in combat and nothing will aggro you and you get exp for every mob that dies. After you damage the first mob you want to stay outside a bit so when the battle ends you don't get credit and can restart it without having to abandon the Q and ride back to town to pick it up again. Sadly I did not find this until 43 when the mobs become green, but it still got me the entire level in around 3 hours while I was watching tv. 40-42 should go a lot faster since the exp curve is so crazy. At 44 it drops from ~200k exp an hour to like ~150k so I moved on.

If somebody wants more info or whatever let me know.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 27, 2018

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
I've never played this dumb game and the thought of a progression server seemed like a pretty cool time capsule experience then I read the last guy's post about grinding for 3 hours on enemies to go up a level and realized that maybe, mmo's are not for me anymore.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

ArtIsResistance posted:

I've never played this dumb game and the thought of a progression server seemed like a pretty cool time capsule experience then I read the last guy's post about grinding for 3 hours on enemies to go up a level and realized that maybe, mmo's are not for me anymore.

Yeah the level curve is too steep on this server so even though they already greatly improved quest exp, at 35+ you still only get half as many levels from quests as you should. Most people resort to farming dungeon trash in groups to bridge the gap between zones. Rift was not like this in 2011 and is not like it on the live servers but Trion is understaffed and mostly incompetent. The level 50 expert 5man dungeons were fun and challenging back in the day and the raids were good too, but I have a feeling they'll be just as hosed as everything else is so far.

Kenby
Apr 26, 2012

The worst part is that because they've had to increase the xp so many times there's a growing faction of people bitching about Trion making it too easy even though it's still way off release xp. So I don't know if there's going to be any more big xp fixes.

Why the exp is not tuned equal or higher than release for this very short-term server is such a mystery to me.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Kenby posted:

The worst part is that because they've had to increase the xp so many times there's a growing faction of people bitching about Trion making it too easy even though it's still way off release xp. So I don't know if there's going to be any more big xp fixes.

Why the exp is not tuned equal or higher than release for this very short-term server is such a mystery to me.

I had initially thought it was just an oversight, that 1-50 on live was similar and it encouraged everyone to use XP pots or whatever and people had access to faster leveling methods, better gear, etc. But the exp requirement is custom for Prime, which means Trion intentionally set the exp/level on the server to be the way it is. That tells me they do not have level 50 content ready and were trying to delay people from getting there. The state of expert dungeons confirms it. Level 50s on Prime have like 3 times more health than in 2011 but it appears expert mobs do the same or less damage that they used to.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

lol they're gonna gently caress up hammerknell and greenscale's blight so bad. I'm really starting to feel pessimistic about their capacity to balance 9 complicated fights, plus trash, in a row. I wish they'd just completely trash the 9 new souls, for one thing, and nerf everyone appropriately so they actually go back to filling distinct roles. Then start fixing the other stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
I'm playing a bard and its extremely good to run and jump around strumming a lute like a jackass nonstop

• Locked thread