Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
You want to cycle through mountains but you’re bypassing the Alps! Switzerland is great for biking and with couch surfing you can do it pretty cheaply. Not Ukraine cheap though.

Your southern route sounds way more fun but the cycling in Italy will definitely be more stressful than Germany (narrower lanes, shittier drivers). I’m not a biker though so can’t give any super specific advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Good luck! Interested in the updates. I just read the book Quondam by John Devoy that you might enjoy when you get a chance, and then thank god you're biking through Europe in 2019 and not through the Sahara in 1986.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

God Hole posted:

x-posting from bicycle touring megathread. Felt the need to wrap this thread up! It was quite the journey, thanks for all the advice guys!

I ended up staying with a few hosts on this trip who have spent years bike touring through Africa and by all reports, it seems like a really pleasant place to have a tour if you plan intelligently. Of course, I don't think any of them were stupid enough to bike through the Sahara lol I'll check it out, thanks for the rec!

Do you have a map of your itinerary? Your Strava page doesn't seem to be updated. You can set up to something like 30 destinations on Google Maps if you do it through URL editing (if you do "add destination" it stops at 10). There're of course tons of other tools for route mapping, but Google Maps is nice since it has a better interface and is more interactive than stuff that like Garmin puts out. e.g.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/L%C3%BC,+Switzerland/Chur/Andermatt/Geneva/

You can just change the URL to add in Interlaken like:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/L%C3%BC,+Switzerland/Chur/Andermatt/Interlaken/Geneva/

I guess you'd probably have to do like minimum 50-60 destinations to make it follow your route reasonably precisely, but it'd be easy enough to spread that over 2 or 3 different Google Maps routes.

E: Also that AirBnB in Interlaken looks dope, especially with that patio with the telescope.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Aug 13, 2019

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

God Hole posted:

I planned my whole route out on Komoot, I deleted each daily route as I completed them to free up space though.

Yeah I just checked and for some reason "cycling" was the sport that was switched to "private" in my strava settings. No other sport was. Not sure why that is. Here's day 1, let me know if you have trouble accessing the others

https://www.strava.com/activities/2428457416

Ah, yeah working now. I just signed up for a Strava account for the first time; their map interface sure is a lot better if you're logged in. If you're just 'previewing' it you can't even move around on the map at all. I was going to ask you how the Swiss National Park was -- I've never been through the main part of it but I've been pretty much everywhere else in Switzerland -- but sounds like it was uh, not the best ride. Hopped on a train, drat. Fluela Pass and Albula pass are both beautiful... when the weather is nice.

Also I'd never heard of a border crossing that was only for "local residents" within the EU, what a pain in the rear end way to start out your trip.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Aug 13, 2019