Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If you'd be okay with missing Madrid and adding a bit of distance, I'd consider following the north coast of Spain starting in San Sebastian and continuing all the way to A Coruna, then proceeding south through Santiago de Compostela, Vigo, Porto, etc. through to Lisbon.

Another possibility could be following the Camino de Santiago through Pamplona and Logrono, if you want to go a bit more inland, before turning south into Portugal.

Apart from that, I don't know I can offer any specific advice, but it sounds cool and I look forward to hearing how it turns out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

God Hole posted:

Thanks for the rec! Have you been to the North coast before? Why would you recommend checking that out over Madrid if you don't mind me asking

I have been to San Sebastian, Logrono (not quite along the north coast, but a possible route) and A Coruna. They are gorgeous, surprisingly mountainous if, the food is amazing from the cheapest stuff you can get to the most expensive, and excepting San Sebastian itself, they are quite inexpensive.

Plus, I think you'll probably have more interesting places to stop along the way. In terms of significant cities along the north coast, there's San Sebastian, Bilbao, Santander, Gijon/Oviedo, and then A Coruna and/or Santiago de Compostela. A lot of it depends on timing. If you're doing this in the summer, the coastal route will be amazing and the route through the interior will roast you alive. If you're doing it between late fall and early spring, you may be wet and miserable along the coast.

If you want a better idea of advantages and disadvantages, look at info about the Camino de Santiago. The Camino del Norte follows the north coast, and the Camino de Frances is flatter and further inland (Wikipedia notes that many pilgrims prefer that because the Camino del Norte goes up and down a lot more, but if you want mountains and stuff...) Granted these routes won't be 100% original, since a fair number of travellers walk or bike them, but on the other hand, you can consult trip reports for advice and the infrastructure for this sort of trip is decently established.

I certainly wouldn't discourage you from seeing Madrid, because it's an awesome city and I love it, it just seems there'd be fewer things between Barcelona and Madrid, and then Madrid and Portugal, that interest me, but that's a personal opinion.