Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Irish poetry, you say?

Flann O'Brien posted:

"The Workman's Friend"

When things go wrong and will not come right,
Though you do the best you can,
When life looks black as the hour of night --
A pint of plain is your only man.

When money's tight and hard to get
And your horse has also ran,
When all you have is a heap of debt --

When health is bad and your heart feels strange,
And your face is pale and wan,
When doctors say you need a change,

When food is scarce and your larder bare
And no rashers grease your pan,
When hunger grows as your meals are rare --

In time of trouble and lousey strife,
You have still got a darlint plan
You still can turn to a brighter life --

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

I finally decided to pick up some Yeats today. I'd been meaning to try some poetry because I'm not a lovely teenager in school anymore and I realised a lot of my favourite songs I liked because of the lyrics and wasn't too bothered about the music. So I decided to pick a famous one from my home country and I grew up holidaying in Sligo too because my da's family is from there. This is my poetry story.

the second coming is a top choice if you want to make extremely shallow literary references to bulk out an article about some person or trend you don't like, otherwise the rest of yeats is just very very good except his earlier stuff which is kind of bad

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Thank you for the poems, pals, I will look at them before bed. We did a lot of Heaney, Montague, and Kavanagh in school but I never appreciated it at the time.

CestMoi posted:

the second coming is a top choice if you want to make extremely shallow literary references to bulk out an article about some person or trend you don't like, otherwise the rest of yeats is just very very good except his earlier stuff which is kind of bad

This is the best reason to read poetry imo. I will also learn that Melville passage about the tahiti of the soul and ascend to my seat as the most powerful form of "dumb guy who knows one thing".

A second poetry story I remember is in the final weeks of school we were preparing for the irish language literature paper and everyone was trying to predict what poems and poets would come up. Then one of the poets was busted trying to buy a boy for sex in nepal and it got a lot easier to predict what might not be on the paper after that.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
Language Lesson 1976
Heather McHugh

When Americans say a man
takes liberties, they mean

he’s gone too far. In Philadelphia today I saw
a kid on a leash look mom-ward

and announce his fondest wish: one
bicentennial burger, hold

the relish. Hold is forget,
in American.

On the courts of Philadelphia
the rich prepare

to serve, to fault. The language is a game as well,
in which love can mean nothing,

doubletalk mean lie. I’m saying
doubletalk with me. I’m saying

go so far the customs are untold.
Make nothing without words,

and let me be
the one you never hold.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

E. E. Cummings posted:

next to of course god america i
love you land of the pilgrims' and so forth oh
say can you see by the dawn's early my
country 'tis of centuries come and go
and are no more what of it we should worry
in every language even deafanddumb
thy sons acclaim your glorious name by gorry
by jingo by gee by gosh by gum
why talk of beauty what could be more beaut-
iful than these heroic happy dead
who rushed like lions to the roaring slaughter
they did not stop to think they died instead
then shall the voice of liberty be mute?

He spoke. And drank rapidly a glass of water

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Hi. I'm new to poetry. What is everyone's favorite poetry books(collection??) ?

Eat The Rich fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 7, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Eat The Rich posted:

https://twitter.com/peterbourgon/status/807757490310025216

Also the Edna St. Vincent Millay translations of Baudelaire's Fleurs du Mal

basically though skim the thread above it's full of good poo poo

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 7, 2019

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

My mom left me a copy of Louis Untermeyer's A Treasury of Great Poems, and while it does show its age, it's still a great anthology.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
did anybody buy the newish english translation of the book of disquiet? is it good/better than the penguin classics one

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

Eat The Rich posted:

Very big fan of Staying Alive, compiled by Neil Astley. My copy is dogeared and full of Post-it Notes marking poems that matter to me. It's put me onto a lot of interesting stuff that I wouldn't have otherwise found. The blurb on Amazon is a bit hippy, so see past that.

As for yeats, I've always loved An Irish Airman Foresees His Death, just for the effortless construction and flow. I was happy as a pig to spot a line from it in Madeline Miller's Circe.

quote:

I know that I shall meet my fate
Somewhere among the clouds above;
Those that I fight I do not hate,
Those that I guard I do not love;
My country is Kiltartan Cross,
My countrymen Kiltartan’s poor,
No likely end could bring them loss
Or leave them happier than before.
Nor law, nor duty bade me fight,
Nor public men, nor cheering crowds,
A lonely impulse of delight
Drove to this tumult in the clouds;
I balanced all, brought all to mind,
The years to come seemed waste of breath,
A waste of breath the years behind
In balance with this life, this death.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

An Irish Airman Foresees His Death always reminds me of The Death of the Ball Turret Gunner, which is rather more, uh, visceral:

Randall Jarrell posted:

From my mother’s sleep I fell into the State,
And I hunched in its belly till my wet fur froze.
Six miles from earth, loosed from its dream of life,
I woke to black flak and the nightmare fighters.
When I died they washed me out of the turret with a hose.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Eat The Rich posted:

Definitely go for an anthology at first, preferably a big one, then flip around till you find something you like and follow our from there. If you happen to like birds, Bright Wings: An Illustrated Anthology of Poems About Birds is a good collection.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Tree Goat posted:

did anybody buy the newish english translation of the book of disquiet? is it good/better than the penguin classics one

I did not. I have the penguin classics edition. Is there something wrong with it? I thought it was pretty good, though that book is depressing in a way few books are.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

cda posted:

I did not. I have the penguin classics edition. Is there something wrong with it? I thought it was pretty good, though that book is depressing in a way few books are.

no idea; it's the one i have too, but i have heard two (2) vague but positive things about the new edition

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
I just read an extremely interesting and quite good long narrative poem called "The Voyage of the Sable Venus" by Robin Coste Lewis. The deal with the poem is, it's entirely made up of the titles, catalog entries, and exhibit descriptions of Western artworks which include a depiction of a black woman from 38,000 BCE to the present day. The only thing I can compare is the work of Susan Howe or Anne Carson, who also write poems where history is present is surprising ways and which have a jaunty fractured style that mines every last connotation and etymological ambiguity out of each word. If you're interested in what really out-there but strangely grounded poetry looks like, this is it. (I like a lot of Howe's books but my favorite is Articulation of Sound Forms in Time, for Carson, Autobiography of Red is a fan fave but Glass, Irony, and God is more history-y, I think)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Have another Don Marquis: "the song of mehitabel," 1927.

quote:

this is the song of mehitabel
of mehitabel the alley cat
as i wrote you before boss
mehitabel is a believer
in the pythagorean
theory of the transmigration
of the soul and she claims
that formerly her spirit
was incarnated in the body
of cleopatra
that was a long time ago
and one must not be
surprised if mehitabel
has forgotten some of her
more regal manners

i have had my ups and downs
but wotthehell wotthehell
yesterday sceptres and crowns
fried oysters and velvet gowns
and today i herd with bums
i wake the world from sleep
as i caper and sing and leap
when i sing my wild free tune
wotthehell wotthehell
under the blear eyed moon
i am pelted with cast off shoon

do you think that i would change
my present freedom to range
for a castle or moated grange
wotthehell wotthehell
cage me and i d go frantic
my life is so romantic
capricious and corybantic
and i m toujours gai toujours gai

i know that i am bound
for a journey down the sound
in the midst of a refuse mound
oh i should worry and fret
death and i will coquette
there s a dance in the old dame yet
toujours gai toujours gai

i once was an innocent kit
wotthehell wotthehell
with a ribbon my neck to fit
and bells tied onto it
o wotthehell wotthehell
but a maltese cat came by
with a come hither look in his eye
and a song that soared to the sky
and wotthehell wotthehell
and i followed adown the street
the pad of his rhythmical feet
o permit me again to repeat
wotthehell wotthehell

my youth i shall never forget
but there s nothing i really regret
wotthehell wotthehell
there s a dance in the old dame yet

the things that i had not ought to
i do because i ve gotto
wotthehell wotthehell
and i end with my favorite motto

boss sometimes i think
that our friend mehitabel
is a trifle too gay

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Tree Goat posted:

no idea; it's the one i have too, but i have heard two (2) vague but positive things about the new edition

I have the new one and I've not read the penguin one but this new one is big and I'll probably never read the whole thing

I've been reading poetry here and there recently, i agree with tree goat, maggie nelson is often very good, sometimes too precious but good. I read james schyuler's 'the morning of the poem' but I won't post it because it's like 80 pages mainly of stream-of-consciousness thought as he wakes up from his lover's bed and sits thinking while playing with his foreskin. basically, anyway. it was good

i also got the giant louise gluck collection from the library and am just opening it to random pages occasionally. most of them are really good.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

ty for backing me up, although i will admit that
my twee bullshit capacity is higher than most

i got a collection from dg nanouk okpik on a whim and it’s okay so far and im learning a lot about scraping seal hide etc

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

the creative convention poetry thread is back and this time its a thunderdome and i hate it all so much so i'm reading some vodennikov http://bigbridge.org/BB17/poetry/twentyfirstcenturyrussianpoetry/Dmitry_Vodennikov.html

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

the creative convention poetry thunderdome thread created in november is already longer than this, the dedicated book forum thread for talking about poetry

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
but which one has the most actually good poems?

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I've been flipping open random pages to the robert creely collection i got from the library, because i've liked a few of his poems before, but so far, I'm not really feeling most of them. they're often just quick bizarre snippets that I can't understand on any level

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

CestMoi posted:

the creative convention poetry thunderdome thread created in november is already longer than this, the dedicated book forum thread for talking about poetry

u didn't warn me that the first round was haiku

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Zesty Mordant posted:

I've been flipping open random pages to the robert creely collection i got from the library, because i've liked a few of his poems before, but so far, I'm not really feeling most of them. they're often just quick bizarre snippets that I can't understand on any level

I used to like him when I was in high school but haven't really read him since then, as I recall most of the poems were lyrical, highly abstracted, mostly about ordinary things elevated through that abstraction, and bc of that always at least partially about the potential of language to represent & to refuse representation.

also he only had one eye for some reason, like a bad rear end

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Dylan Thomas posted:

"Get back to the Presents."
"There were the Useful Presents: engulfing mufflers of the old coach days, and mittens made for giant sloths; zebra scarfs of a substance like silky gum that could be tug-o'-warred down to the galoshes; blinding tam-o'-shanters like patchwork tea cozies and bunny-suited busbies and balaclavas for victims of head-shrinking tribes; from aunts who always wore wool next to the skin there were mustached and rasping vests that made you wonder why the aunts had any skin left at all; and once I had a little crocheted nose bag from an aunt now, alas, no longer whinnying with us. And pictureless books in which small boys, though warned with quotations not to, would skate on Farmer Giles' pond and did and drowned; and books that told me everything about the wasp, except why."

"Go on to the Useless Presents."
"Bags of moist and many-colored jelly babies and a folded flag and a false nose and a tram-conductor's cap and a machine that punched tickets and rang a bell; never a catapult; once, by mistake that no one could explain, a little hatchet; and a celluloid duck that made, when you pressed it, a most unducklike sound, a mewing moo that an ambitious cat might make who wished to be a cow; and a painting book in which I could make the grass, the trees, the sea and the animals any colour I pleased, and still the dazzling sky-blue sheep are grazing in the red field under the rainbow-billed and pea-green birds. Hardboileds, toffee, fudge and allsorts, crunches, cracknels, humbugs, glaciers, marzipan, and butterwelsh for the Welsh. And troops of bright tin soldiers who, if they could not fight, could always run. And Snakes-and-Families and Happy Ladders. And Easy Hobbi-Games for Little Engineers, complete with instructions. Oh, easy for Leonardo! And a whistle to make the dogs bark to wake up the old man next door to make him beat on the wall with his stick to shake our picture off the wall. And a packet of cigarettes: you put one in your mouth and you stood at the corner of the street and you waited for hours, in vain, for an old lady to scold you for smoking a cigarette, and then with a smirk you ate it. And then it was breakfast under the balloons."

"Were there Uncles like in our house?"
"There are always Uncles at Christmas. The same Uncles. And on Christmas morning, with dog-disturbing whistle and sugar fags, I would scour the swatched town for the news of the little world, and find always a dead bird by the Post Office or by the white deserted swings; perhaps a robin, all but one of his fires out. Men and women wading or scooping back from chapel, with taproom noses and wind-bussed cheeks, all albinos, huddled their stiff black jarring feathers against the irreligious snow. Mistletoe hung from the gas brackets in all the front parlors; there was sherry and walnuts and bottled beer and crackers by the dessertspoons; and cats in their fur-abouts watched the fires; and the high-heaped fire spat, all ready for the chestnuts and the mulling pokers. Some few large men sat in the front parlors, without their collars, Uncles almost certainly, trying their new cigars, holding them out judiciously at arms' length, returning them to their mouths, coughing, then holding them out again as though waiting for the explosion; and some few small aunts, not wanted in the kitchen, nor anywhere else for that matter, sat on the very edge of their chairs, poised and brittle, afraid to break, like faded cups and saucers."

Read the whole thing, if you haven't already.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 18, 2019

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
important news https://lithub.com/lord-byron-used-to-call-william-wordsworth-turdsworth-and-yes-this-is-a-real-historical-fact/

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

got em

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

i somehow already knew this but im not sure how

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
the library finally sent me david berman's 'actual air' and it's really good. the fact that he was mentored by james tate is obvious but I think he succeeds more often by venturing into that valley between the absurd and the lifelike, like a harmony korine movie that's so real it's surreal.

Governors on Sominex posted:

It had been four days of no weather
as if nature had conceded its genius to the indoors.

They'd closed down the Bureau of Sad Endings
and my wife sat on the couch and read the paper out loud.

The evening edition carried the magic death of a child
backlit by a construction site sunrise on its front page.

I kept my back to her and fingered the items on the mantle.

Souvenirs only reminded you of buying them.

The moon hung solid over the boarded-up Hobby Shop.

P.K. was in the precinct house, using his one phone call
to dedicate a song to Tammy, for she was the light
by which he traveled into this and that

And out in the city, out in the wide readership,
his younger brother was kicking an ice bucket
in the woods behind the Marriott,

his younger brother who was missing that part of the brain
that allows you to make out with your pillow.

Poor kid.

It was the light in things that made them last.

Tammy called her caseworker from a closed gas station
to relay ideas unaligned with the world we loved.

The tall grass bent in the wind like tachometer needles
and he told her to hang in there, slowly repeating
the number of the Job Info Line.

She hung up and glared at the Killbuck Sweet Shoppe.
The words that had been running through her head,
"employees must wash hands before returning to work,"
kept repeating and the sky looked dead.

Hedges formed the long limousine a Tampa sky could die behind.
A sailor stood on the wharf with a clipper ship
reflected on the skin of the bell pepper he held.

He'd had mouthwash at the inn and could still feel
the ice blue carbon pinwheels spinning in his mouth.

There were no new ways to understand the world,
only new days to set our understandings against.

Through the lanes came virgins in tennis shoes,
their hair shining like videotape,

singing us into a kind of sleep we hadn't tried yet.

Each page was a new chance to understand the last.

And somehow the sea was always there to make you feel stupid.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
molly brodak died recently and unexpectedly and i liked her work, thanks

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
I know this is a slow thread but I appreciate that it's here and I've read some great poems thanks to it. :tipshat:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

chernobyl kinsman posted:

let's have some good proper british poems that every red-blooded man and boy ought to appreciate

Me, in real life, just now

me and some folks walking out of a bar
friend of mine, his shoe's untied
i say "hey man, your shoe's untied"
he says "I'm fine with it"
I say "ok, so long as you're master of your sole"

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

British poems, you say?

John Cooper Clarke, "Evidently Chicken Town" posted:

The bloody cops are bloody keen
To bloody keep it bloody clean
The bloody chief's a bloody swine
Who bloody draws a bloody line
At bloody fun and bloody games
The bloody kids he bloody blames
Are nowhere to be bloody found
Anywhere in chicken town

The bloody scene is bloody sad
The bloody news is bloody bad
The bloody weed is bloody turf
The bloody speed is bloody surf
The bloody folks are bloody daft
Don't make me bloody laugh
It bloody hurts to look around
Everywhere in chicken town

The bloody train is bloody late
You bloody wait you bloody wait
You're bloody lost and bloody found
Stuck in loving chicken town
The bloody view is bloody vile
For bloody miles and bloody miles
The bloody babies bloody cry
The bloody flowers bloody die
The bloody food is bloody muck
The bloody drains are bloody hosed
The colour scheme is bloody brown
Everywhere in chicken town

The bloody pubs are bloody dull
The bloody clubs are bloody full
Of bloody girls and bloody guys
With bloody murder in their eyes
A bloody bloke is bloody stabbed
Waiting for a bloody cab
You bloody stay at bloody home
The bloody neighbors bloody moan
Keep the bloody racket down
This is bloody chicken town

The bloody pies are bloody old
The bloody chips are bloody cold
The bloody beer is bloody flat
The bloody flats have bloody rats
The bloody clocks are bloody wrong
The bloody days are bloody long
It bloody gets you bloody down
Evidently chicken town

The bloody train is bloody late
You bloody wait you bloody wait
You're bloody lost and bloody found
Stuck in loving chicken town

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Last Week, Last Night, Daily, and Forever

I’m your host, Dick Missile. Today’s story: Skintight anchors in the newsroom. No wiggling, no wrinkles. Padded. Bulging, but no hint of illegitimate nipple. Power tie limp like member. Empowered female hosts artfully assembled for your pleasure, but standing front and center I’m your host, Dick Missile launched into contested airspace plunging towards milk warm seas. Cut to commercial. Smoke break. Buttoned-down cardigan above desk, bermuda shorts unzipped and off-camera. Nothing below the waist ever shown, ever. Straighten tie. I’m your host, Dick Missile, today sitting with it tucked tight, folded twice, stuffed into a cotton hammock twisted fifteen times and zip-tied to keep from getting out, touching co-hosts, guest celebrities, rampaging through the studio, tongue leaving slug trail of mucous across the buzzing static glass, screaming through clear walls pasted with pheromones thick as fog and molotov sex chemicals keeping eye-contact with co-hosts like trying to hit the moon with rocket and pocket calculator. Eyes up, and count me in three, two, one, aaaaand we’re back. I’m your host Dick Missile, and today we’re talking about inappropriate touching in the workplace. How far is too far, and when no means yes. Tie rising out of sport’s jacket. Silk on silk. Creeping in interview. Obvious pattern begging to be seen, touched. Pushed down. Rubbed by fingers and smoothed out. I’m Dick Missile and we’ll be right back after this commercial break. Cigar. Make-up retouched. Sweat wiped from brow by curvy new assistant. Young but fair game. Mental note. Rolodex. Promotion honeypot? Decide later. Read prep notes. War in the Middle East. Rights for Women. Protestors marching naked through Washington and lap dances at the Lincoln Memorial. Assistant count-in. Turn to camera, point at screen. Welcome back, America. I’m your host Dick Missile, last week, last night, daily and forever.

MartingaleJack fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 18, 2022

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Re chicken town, I’ve heard that sung (to the tune of twinkle twinkle) as “Bloody, Bloody Orkney”.

One of my favourites, from the clever, dead and poly modern Chinese poet Gu Cheng (顾城):

Gu Cheng posted:

Clouds

你一会看云一会看我
我觉得,你看我时很远
你看云时很近

Every so often you look at the clouds, and then at me
I feel as though
When you look at the clouds you are very close
When you look at me you are very far

To me it’s an amazing description of a terrible date.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Edward Lear, The Courtship of the Yonghy-Bonghy-Bò posted:

I
On the Coast of Coromandel
Where the early pumpkins blow,
In the middle of the woods
Lived the Yonghy-Bonghy-Bò.
Two old chairs, and half a candle,--
One old jug without a handle,--
These were all his worldly goods:
In the middle of the woods,
These were all the worldly goods,
Of the Yonghy-Bonghy-Bò,
Of the Yonghy-Bonghy-Bò.

II
Once, among the Bong-trees walking
To a little heap of stones
Came the Yonghy-Bonghy-Bò.
There he heard a Lady talking,
To some milk-white Hens of Dorking,--
''Tis the Lady Jingly Jones!
'On that little heap of stones
'Sits the Lady Jingly Jones!'
Said the Yonghy-Bonghy-Bò,
Said the Yonghy-Bonghy-Bò.

III
'Lady Jingly! Lady Jingly!
'Sitting where the pumpkins blow,
'Will you come and be my wife?'
'I am tired of living singly,--
'On this coast so wild and shingly,--
'I'm a-weary of my life:
'If you'll come and be my wife,
'Quite serene would be my life!'--

IV
'On this Coast of Coromandel,
'Shrimps and watercresses grow,
'Prawns are plentiful and cheap,'
'You shall have my chairs and candle,
'And my jug without a handle!--
'Gaze upon the rolling deep
('Fish is plentiful and cheap)
'As the sea, my love is deep!'

V
Lady Jingly answered sadly,
And her tears began to flow,--
'Your proposal comes too late,
'Mr. Yonghy-Bonghy-Bò!
'I would be your wife most gladly!'
(Here she twirled her fingers madly,)
'But in England I've a mate!
'Yes! you've asked me far too late,
'For in England I've a mate,
'Mr. Yonghy-Bonghy-Bò!
'Mr. Yonghy-Bonghy-Bò!'

VI
'Mr. Jones -- (his name is Handel,--
'Handel Jones, Esquire, & Co.)
'Dorking fowls delights to send,
'Mr. Yonghy-Bonghy-Bò!
'Keep, oh! keep your chairs and candle,
'And your jug without a handle,--
'I can merely be your friend!
'-- Should my Jones more Dorkings send,
'I will give you three, my friend!
'Mr. Yonghy-Bonghy-Bò!
'Mr. Yonghy-Bonghy-Bò!'

VII
'Though you've such a tiny body,
'And your head so large doth grow,--
'Though your hat may blow away,
'Mr. Yonghy-Bonghy-Bò!
'Though you're such a Hoddy Doddy--
'Yet I wish that I could modi-
'fy the words I needs must say!
'Will you please to go away?
'That is all I have to say--
'Mr. Yonghy-Bonghy-Bò!
'Mr. Yonghy-Bonghy-Bò!'.

VIII
Down the slippery slopes of Myrtle,
To the calm and silent sea
Fled the Yonghy-Bonghy-Bò.
There, beyond the Bay of Gurtle,
Lay a large and lively Turtle,--
'You're the Cove,' he said, 'for me
'On your back beyond the sea,
'Turtle, you shall carry me!'

IX
Through the silent-roaring ocean
Did the Turtle swiftly go;
Holding fast upon his shell
Rode the Yonghy-Bonghy-Bò.
With a sad primæval motion
Towards the sunset isles of Boshen
Still the Turtle bore him well.
Holding fast upon his shell,
'Lady Jingly Jones, farewell!'
Sang the Yonghy-Bonghy-Bò,
Sang the Yonghy-Bonghy-Bò.

X
From the Coast of Coromandel,
Did that Lady never go;
On that heap of stones she mourns
For the Yonghy-Bonghy-Bò.
On that Coast of Coromandel,
In his jug without a handle
Still she weeps, and daily moans;
On that little heap of stones
To her Dorking Hens she moans,
For the Yonghy-Bonghy-Bò,
For the Yonghy-Bonghy-Bò.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 16, 2022

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

So I'm looking for good modern poetry does anyone have good collections on hand that I should get from the library?

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 25, 2022

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
I love poems

But i hate rhyming and meter and repetition

So i guess i hate poems

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Lawman 0 posted:

So I'm looking for good modern poetry does anyone have good collections on hand that I should get from the library?

how modern (or i guess lower case or upper case Modern) and what do you like currently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Tree Goat posted:

how modern (or i guess lower case or upper case Modern) and what do you like currently

I'm dumb as a stump and would like something for my baby STEM brain.
Start me out with baby's first modern poetry.