Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Re chicken town, I’ve heard that sung (to the tune of twinkle twinkle) as “Bloody, Bloody Orkney”.

One of my favourites, from the clever, dead and poly modern Chinese poet Gu Cheng (顾城):

Gu Cheng posted:

Clouds

你一会看云一会看我
我觉得,你看我时很远
你看云时很近

Every so often you look at the clouds, and then at me
I feel as though
When you look at the clouds you are very close
When you look at me you are very far

To me it’s an amazing description of a terrible date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Poem by Gu Cheng, a poet of the “Obscure” school in the 80s and 90s (I’ve also seen it translated as “misty” which is literally correct but slightly misses the meaning). Apart from his poetry, he is famous for retiring to New Zealand, going nuts when living in a polycule with his wife and another woman, attacking his wife with an axe and then killing himself; she also died as a result of her injuries. The third lady wasn’t hurt. Interestingly Wikipedia doesn’t mention the third lady (IIRC she was called baobei/baby) at all.

Gu Cheng (顾城) posted:

Near and Far

你,|一会儿看我,|一会儿看云。||我觉得,|你看我时很远,|你看云时很近

You,
Sometimes look at me;
Sometimes at the clouds.
I feel,
When you look at me you’re very far;
When you look at the clouds you’re very near.

I’ve always felt it described a really bad date.