Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Is this the place for questions about poetry that to most might seem pretty basic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

CestMoi posted:

It is good and admirable to learn about poetry no matter how little you know or intrinsically stupid you are

Grand!

Okay. My understanding of poetry is that the thing that makes it different from just writing is that it's written in pentameter, like Shakespeare used iambic pentameter which is an unstressed syallble followed by a stressed syallble. That covers my knowledge of what a pentameter is. I don't even understand exactly what it means by stressed and unstressed.

So; the poems I have looked don't exactly advertise what pentameter they are using so if I opened a poetry book to a random page and started reading one, how would I know how it's supposed to be read? Is there a specific stylistic guide that poetry people have to study in order to learn it (in which case can I have the name of that guide), or is it a matter of knowing and practicing (in which case, may I have some recommendations for simple poems when learning how pentameter goes)?

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

chernobyl kinsman posted:

Some great stuff in general.

Thank you very much for your post! I certainly needed it.

I admit I was initially a little hesitiant; I'm so shoddy in general with reading that "just read it slow" seemed a little pithy at first, but even I can see and hear the rhythm in Ozymandias, especially when I speak it aloud.

With all that helpful advice given, I'll leave this thread back to the professionals.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

I've always found it's 50% shitposting and trolling and 50% genuine love of the subject matter with an eagerness to share in that love. Which is a pretty decent ratio as far as I am concerned.