Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

CestMoi posted:

I've spent the last 6 months debating whether to learn Catalan so I can read Arnaut Daniel that's my poetry story atm

You mean Occitan I hope.

There's a collection of troubadour poetry called Lark In The Morning which has the facing provencal text, and all the Arnaut Daniel poems in it are translated by Ezra Pound; in fact, not sure if he's the only one to have done so (Daniel into English). His translations are astoundingly rigorous in their replication of the meter and rhyme. With that for foundation, and if you know French, it's fairly easy to appreciate the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

If you've read The Pound Era.. my mind was blown by Hugh Kenner's analysis of how Pound translated this song (anonymous):

Quan lo rossinhols escria
Ab sa par la nues e•l dia,
Yeu suy ab ma bell’ amia
Jos las flor
Tro la gaita de la tor
Escria: drutz, al levar!
Qu’ieu vey l’alba e•l jorn clar.

When the nightingale to his mate
Sings day-long and night late
My love and I keep state
In bower,
In flower,
‘Till the watchman on the tower
Cry:
“Up! Thou rascal, Rise,
I see the white
Light
And the night
Flies.”

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Schubert Bitch posted:

Huh, I've never read these translations, even though I have a book that purports to collect his shorter poems (and contains his translations from Cathay)! That is a wonderful poem in itself. I'm curious to know why Kenner says his translations are particularly faithful--after all, on the surface the syllable counts don't match up line by line. I have The Pound Era, but I haven't read it. Need to. Any other highlights of that book that you can think of?

Personae is not a complete collection, it is all the early poems that an older Pound thought worth keeping. He didn't like that translation and it was only ever published in the Little Review as far as I know.
It's in the "Motz el son" chapter of The Pound Era. As for highlights, there's some on every page of that thing. It's an incredible work, perhaps what Pound's own prose would have been like if he wasn't quite so impatient. Aside from tackling Pound's whole oeuvre, there are great surveys of Gaudier-Brzeska, Wyndham Lewis, William Carlos Williams, Marianne Moore, and others throughout. He also brings in some kind of funny connections sometimes, like Buckminster Fuller and D'Arcy Wentworth Thompson.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

I'm reading Leopardi, a blind spot for me, after investigating a quote in Beckett's Molloy. His Canti are sometimes good

quote:

Little old white-haired man,
weak, half naked, barefoot,
with an enormous burden on his back,
up mountain and down valley,
over sharp rocks, across deep sands and bracken,
through wind and storm,
in hot and freezing weather,
runs on, running till he's out of breath,
crosses rivers, wades through swamps,
falls and climbs and rushes on
ever faster, no rest or relief,
battered, bloodied; till at last he comes
to where his way
and all his effort led him:
terrible, immense abyss
into which he falls, forgetting everything.
This, O virgin moon,
is human life.

This is only interesting for so long though lol. At this point I'm more interested in the Zibaldone.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

I've been reading D'Annunzio. "Notturne" and his novels are very good, but the only English translation of his poetry I can find is Alcyone by J.G. Nichols. Someone should translate the whole rest of his Laudi for me, thanks.

quote:

"The Victory of Samothrace"

If she, whose spreading wings both arm and honour
that trireme's prow sailing from Samothrace,
is speeding now to me who know no peace
persisting with my twice-ten-years' hard labour,

nowhere but here where masts and yard-arms prosper,
this coastal pine-wood born of summer's blaze
below the solid Alp whose silent face
is glorious in its everlasting candour,

shall I give greeting: 'You are right to come
here from that shore which hosts the Cŕbiri,
here from that isle against the Hebrus River.

The Greeks acknowledge me their latest son:
I sucked the dugs of all antiquity;
and still a fiery daemon makes me quiver.'

quote:

"The vulture of the Sun"

When at odd times I ponder, and regard
the salt air flickering, a sheet of flame,
and in the silence hear the falling pine's
dull thud, the resin spluttering in the tead,

the flautist of the marsh sound from his mud,
the sedge and millet still at their dry din,
then suddenly you seize this heart of mine,
you prey upon me trembling and afraid,

O Glory, Glory, vulture of the Sun,
who swoop on me and grasp me in your claws
even on this hot seashore where I hide!

I raise my face, although my heart is down,
and through the redness of the eyes I close
I see a world resplendent in my blood.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

I think Dickinson must be one of the least simple, least saccharine poets there ever was.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

While Dickinson poems are on this page, maybe someone can identify one for me. I believe it described a battlefield and a soldier dying. At the time I read it, I thought it rivalled Homer. Since then I've scoured the index of the Complete Poems, but I could never find it again. I don't remember any specific words.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

No, thank you but these are quite widely circulated ones, and I only encountered mine when going through the Complete Poems. I will just have to go through them again — which won’t be much of a chore.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

barkingclam posted:

Can anyone recommend some novels-in-verse? I recently finished The Call Out by Cat Fitzpatrick and I enjoyed its Pushkin-style verse structure. I jumped right to Vikram Seth’s The Golden Gate which is pretty good too, but I’d like to explore more in this style. Thanks in advance!
The Ring and the Book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Bandiet posted:

While Dickinson poems are on this page, maybe someone can identify one for me. I believe it described a battlefield and a soldier dying. At the time I read it, I thought it rivalled Homer. Since then I've scoured the index of the Complete Poems, but I could never find it again. I don't remember any specific words.
I'm thrilled to announce that I have found this poem again.

(639)

My Portion is Defeat — today —
A paler luck than Victory —
Less Paeans — fewer Bells —
The Drums don't follow Me — with tunes —
Defeat — a somewhat slower — means —
More Arduous than Balls —

'Tis populous with Bone and stain —
And Men too straight to stoop again —,
And Piles of solid Moan —
And Chips of Blank — in Boyish Eyes —
And scraps of Prayer —