Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If I dig out a bunch of concrete, can I build over the ditch it leaves behind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Yup. The quarry hole will remain but you can build on it just fine. Probably hurts your wind-farms if you put them down there.

Also, guys...everyone's suddenly tripping balls on my colony and Mars just turned green. O.o

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Alkydere posted:

Yup. The quarry hole will remain but you can build on it just fine. Probably hurts your wind-farms if you put them down there.

Also, guys...everyone's suddenly tripping balls on my colony and Mars just turned green. O.o

Ah, nice, there's one right in the middle of an eventual great dome location but I want to mine it out.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I hope i unlock bigger domes soon cause my first dome has a deep rare metal deposit jussssst outside of its radius

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Alkydere posted:

I generally find that before I let the first colony ship land I have:
-housing
-food (usually a hydroponics tower)
-clinic
-grocer and/or diner set up

If I have excess polymer I'll also put a track field down. After that I set up a Polymer facility ASAP since a) it's nice to no longer rely on Earth for a resource and b) they're so easy to set up and supply.

Also I just wanna say, this game's purty:

You really can’t lose with a diner. I don’t know if it is better than a grocer, but I like to think about the grumbling scientist with two PhDs from MIT who lands on the red planet and finds out that they are going to be the first bus boy on mars.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

You really can’t lose with a diner. I don’t know if it is better than a grocer, but I like to think about the grumbling scientist with two PhDs from MIT who lands on the red planet and finds out that they are going to be the first bus boy on mars.

Yeah, I feel the Diner is better than the Grocer because they both satisfy food, but the Diner satisfies Social and Dining, while the Grocery satisfied only Shopping. The Diner can also service more people (though the Grocer is more efficient for since it's 1 worker for 8 people/shift while the Diner is 2/10). Good to have both early on since the Gaming and Art workshops that also service the Shopping need are more expensive.

AND DON'T FORGET TO PUT GREEN SPACES! The decorations satisfy the needs for Relaxation, Exercise and Playing

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

why do i have to build a space bar to satisy space drinking

cant yall just have a space bbq and get space drunk that way ffs

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Agean90 posted:

I hope i unlock bigger domes soon cause my first dome has a deep rare metal deposit jussssst outside of its radius

Rare metal extractors have a radius, too - maybe that'll extend far enough to snag that deposit? As long as the extractor building is inside the dome radius, it'll get worked.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
What happens if you fail your mission evaluation? Is it game over, like losing an election in Tropico?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Agean90 posted:

why do i have to build a space bar to satisy space drinking

cant yall just have a space bbq and get space drunk that way ffs

You can't have a space barbeque because fire doesn't work in space air, the space bar has a special space filter that it runs your space drink through.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

You can't have a space barbeque because fire doesn't work in space air, the space bar has a special space filter that it runs your space drink through.

:hai:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Why aren't my guys moving between domes? I guess it's too far for them but will they move if I build aircraft? I got 5 homeless in one dome and an empty arcology in the other.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Hooooly crap trying to force people into their specialties is a nightmare, as is trying to sort people you want to bring from earth. People keep moving around and I have to micromanage every single open spot in every single building. If I want to sort out a genius to bring, I can't filter him out and queue him up and then go back for botanists, I have to fiddle to get everyone in one go and sort through 70 people because the list of who you've selected resets when you go back to the filters. Even super basic poo poo like overall energy and water usage is broken, energy because it doesn't show solar+night and water shows 0 instead of positive if your tanks are full. Jesus.

I'm starting to regret buying this game, it really needs a few patches or mods for someone with a brain to retrofit a decent UI onto this theoretically good management game.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 17, 2018

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I have a dream ... a dream of an ocean on Mars. can this game accommodate?

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

All my colonists are old, refusing to work, eating my food and taking up valuable living space and air. I understand your bones hurt grandpa but if you don't pick up this shovel and grow a drat potato you are all going to die

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Welp... after a few restarts I put about 5 hours into one and randomly got the Wildfire mystery, which I stupidly researched the anomaly for as soon as it popped up on Sol 100... It's now Sol 127, Earth has a pandemic going on, I am losing 3 colonists per Sol, can't import more, and morale is tanking. I have to research a 45,000 point research project to cure it but am only producing abut 1200 per Sol (it's actually a 90,000 research project that I was able to reduce 50% by capping out on clinics). Things don't look good. I'm giving up and starting a new map.

That said, I love this game. The mod workshop and the way Paradox does expansions is going to keep me playing this for a long time.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
politician background is useless btw, there's already a tech that does the same. (It costs more but it also gives more)

double nine posted:

I have a dream ... a dream of an ocean on Mars. can this game accommodate?

and ocean of robots maybe

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

politician background is useless btw, there's already a tech that does the same. (It costs more but it also gives more)

Sounds like it could be good early on if you start with the EU backer that gives you $$$ every time you research something. Also this game doesn't seem shy of stacking bonuses.

Also, oh god yes! It's late in the tech tree but there IS a tech that lets you do something with that waste rock: it can be turned into more concrete. Also I got breakthroughs for both self-repairing Pipes and Cables.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Arven posted:

Welp... after a few restarts I put about 5 hours into one and randomly got the Wildfire mystery, which I stupidly researched the anomaly for as soon as it popped up on Sol 100... It's now Sol 127, Earth has a pandemic going on, I am losing 3 colonists per Sol, can't import more, and morale is tanking. I have to research a 45,000 point research project to cure it but am only producing abut 1200 per Sol (it's actually a 90,000 research project that I was able to reduce 50% by capping out on clinics). Things don't look good. I'm giving up and starting a new map.

That said, I love this game. The mod workshop and the way Paradox does expansions is going to keep me playing this for a long time.

I accepted a computer research contract from a company called NetSky. I decided to give their program some autonomy, a decision that will surely not have any ominous consequences.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Gamerofthegame posted:

i feel like the inventor background blows the others out of the water. Being able to just drop a drone hub anywhere and not have to worry about cleaning or power is ridiculously good for those times i need to get to the underground water source a sector and a half over.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Gamerofthegame posted:

Every background unlocks a tech that you would normally unlock at some random point in the game :ssh:

Also the one from the politician is repeatable, while the one you're talking about is not.

Also also the research cost is dependant on where it shows up on the tech tree. What costs you 1k in one game could cost you 7k the next because it showed up farther down the line.

e:

Alkydere posted:

Also, oh god yes! It's late in the tech tree but there IS a tech that lets you do something with that waste rock: it can be turned into more concrete. Also I got breakthroughs for both self-repairing Pipes and Cables.

Tech tree order is random every game! I saw a streamer get that tech before he even built his first dome a few days ago.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 17, 2018

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Somehow I missed this yesterday so I’ll have to catch up.

So far my second attempt went real well, before we unleashed the wildfire, which infected the earth until I discovered the cure, curetatos, and completely cratered my colony’s food supply trying to rush them out to Earth in a hurry.

Pretty cool game. I like it. The Mysteries, for me, seem to wallop you with a challenge right at the moment you’re preparing to get set for the endgame. Which is great.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

Tech tree order is random every game! I saw a streamer get that tech before he even built his first dome a few days ago.

Ah, I thought stuff shuffled around a bit. I didn't realize they were entirely random.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
The uh. The recommendation for starting location thing seems busted.

My first ever game it recommended I build in a spot that had no water, no resources, and as far as I could tell nothing. It wasn't until I restarted did I get water and have a relatively normal start.

Also Blue Sun Corp best start. gently caress Earth, we here to make cash and exploit people.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Decided I was going to get gud at compartmentalized design and ordered a bunch of water makers right before I got a breakthrough for unbreakable, free piping. I mean, cool, but c'mon man.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Rookersh posted:

The uh. The recommendation for starting location thing seems busted.

My first ever game it recommended I build in a spot that had no water, no resources, and as far as I could tell nothing. It wasn't until I restarted did I get water and have a relatively normal start.

Also Blue Sun Corp best start. gently caress Earth, we here to make cash and exploit people.

You can get vaporators which just suck the water out of the air and don't need deposits. Though unlike the water pumpjacks they actually require tech/prefabs to make.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Decided I was going to get gud at compartmentalized design and ordered a bunch of water makers right before I got a breakthrough for unbreakable, free piping. I mean, cool, but c'mon man.

Well you can still make said design: the upgraded pipes (and cables) aren't immune to disasters and meteoroid strikes. You just never spring leaks, and they're made 100% free and pop into existence as soon as you draw them on the map.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Welp I finished my first mystery.

Marsgate: A mysterious rocket gets sent from Earth to Mars, but no one Earthside would tell us what it was. Turns out, it's prototype military rovers. The corporation which eventually fesses up to owning them uses a carrot and stick approach to encourage me to help with their repairs / not tattle on them for breaking space treaties. I got sneaky about things and told them I would cooperate, but then just blew them up instead, but the game didn't seem to understand that - it just treated me as a cowardly collaborator. 11 of my colonists (out of 100ish) were upset at this and turned renegade, but I increased my security force and they never made trouble. In the end, they sent a whole bunch more rovers in attack mode to try to silence me before the trial, but my scientists developed defense turrets, which are like the laser defense system and can also shoot down meteors, but they fire long distance missiles which could attack the rovers. After doing this, I could send out drones to repair them, now I have my own personal rover defense force along with missile turrets. After all that was said and done, I was given the option to disarm in the name of peace, or to keep them in case of future incursions. gently caress Terra, time to cut all ties, let's see you assholes dare to land here again without my permission.

Oh, and it also outright gave me the tech to build the Geoscape Dome wonder, which is a megadome that also automatically improves Sanity and increases comfort.

Soon as I build that thing to see it in person I'm going to restart on a harder difficulty, I think, now that I have a feel for the game. I'm enjoying it, it's not flawless by any means but if you're a serious fan of the genre and can stand a little jank it's worth the money. If you're on the fence, maybe wait for a sale or for a few rounds of patching.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 17, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I can't make up my mind on if I want to buy this or not :saddowns:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Ciaphas posted:

I can't make up my mind on if I want to buy this or not :saddowns:

Yeah it looks interesting but I'm reading about a lot of jank

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
there's no real jank it just doesn't explain itself well

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Superconductive computing is a pretty great breakthrough.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah, especially if you combine it with the breakthrough that makes fusion power plants run at max performance all the time without needing workers. :science:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

OwlFancier posted:

I got this literally as I was setting up a wind farm on a big 'ol plateau in the middle of my map because I had unlocked a breakthrough that doubles your wind turbine production :getin:

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
I meet the minimum's except the video card only has 512mb instead of the 1gig recommended. My game is crashing on startup. I assume this is why?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

there's no real jank it just doesn't explain itself well

This is really the big issue. The tutorials are nonexistant besides a hint message on everything that kinda-sorta tells you what things do.

The biggest hurdle I've found are understanding the RC cars and logistics in general.
RC cars:
-Explorer: explores anomalies. That's it, but it's worth it since anomalies give you research, bonuses, or unlock more things to be researched. Can also get a bonus to passively generate 100 sci/day.
-Drone truck: basically a portable drone hub. Great for setting up distant outposts.
-Transport: can either take a single from from depot A to depot B, or repeat the route until either the source is empty or destination is full. Can also (slowly) mine surface deposits.

Logistics hints:
-Place depots where they can be grabbed by multiple drone hubs. That creates a (slow) supply link from one side of your base to the other. Though simply shipping massive loads of concrete from one side to the other tends to help.
-Get shuttles ASAP. Shuttles let colonists move between domes. They also try to spread resources evenly between ALL valid supply depots on your mars-base.

In own game news: I got the ability to make my own Stirling Engines (which is silly because how simple a Stirling generator is in real life) AND the breakthrough that gives them +50% power when open. So I have one-tile power-producers that either produce 10 power forever, or 30 power when I open them up for the most trivial polymer cost.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Yeah, the game calls them Stirlings when what it actually means is RTGs. Same deal with the Moisture Evaporators.

Does your mission sponsor or commander type influence what your buildings look like? My first game I was USA / Inventor (inventor is *too* good), this time I'm India / Doctor. First game, my domes were just sorta featureless bubbles, now they're a cyan blue with external ribbing.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

metasynthetic posted:

Yeah, the game calls them Stirlings when what it actually means is RTGs. Same deal with the Moisture Evaporators.

Does your mission sponsor or commander type influence what your buildings look like? My first game I was USA / Inventor (inventor is *too* good), this time I'm India / Doctor. First game, my domes were just sorta featureless bubbles, now they're a cyan blue with external ribbing.

Well if they were visually designed differently they could be Stirlings (they definitely look more like RTG cylinders though) since those are based off of heat difference pushing pistons about : hot radioactive isotopes on the inside, cold martian atmosphere on the outside. Would explain why they make more power when you open the casing: the cold bits get colder, which increases the difference. Also they're not evaporators, they're just "Vapor"ators, no "E-" prefix.

And sadly, no, there's no visual difference between sponsors. However many buildings have multiple skins/models that you can alternate between. Just click on them and press the paintbrush button.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 17, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A good thing about vaporators is that they don't switch off during cold snaps, whereas tanks and mines will, so they're a valuable backup even if you aren't using them primarily.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
The hint about putting supply depots near areas where drones overlap is a great suggestion. Right now my Martian colony is doing the tried and true “throw poo poo to the wall and see what sticks” method of colonial development, but hopefully in my next game I’ll actually think out how I want my colony to grow better.

Also, does anyone know how much money you get per rare metal received by earth? My colony can now finally mine them, so I’m looking forward to exporting “something” in the near future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Seniors are the most frustrating thing in this game.

It wouldn't be so bad if I could feed them properly without a grocer or diner because I'd just ship them off to a retirement dome (:haw:) with gardens and poo poo, but since they don't work I need to make sure it's properly staffed as well and there's no good way to do that.