Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Mostly I rarely connect domes because it's kind of poo poo and pointless. But, I tend to only play until I've cleared the special scenario and/or gotten all my sponsor goals.

Look up mods, there's a good modding scene. Don't know what you find looks bad about the connection tubes so hard to advise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So they've released a couple of blog posts and vids about the new expansion and... well....

It looks like the same thing. Like literally the same thing you just build domes underground and there is a new resource you get from asteroids.

It doesn't seem like there is any new mechanical elements like you would get with green planet even, other than a few new structures I guess, but it just seems like you build more domes, some of the domes are temporary, some of them are underground.

I dunno, I'm not feeling very enthused to be honest. You can finish the normal game with like two or three domes.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I think basically what people want is the sense of connecting the settlements into an overall colony. Often the domes end up feeling very disparate, like a bunch of little homesteads. Connecting all the power and water networks generally ends up being more trouble than it's worth. I want to make Mars look like it does in the Expanse. Help me do that Paradox.

https://www.humanmars.net/2019/12/martian-colonies-in-season-4-of-expanse.html?m=1

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Kaal posted:

I think basically what people want is the sense of connecting the settlements into an overall colony. Often the domes end up feeling very disparate, like a bunch of little homesteads. Connecting all the power and water networks generally ends up being more trouble than it's worth. I want to make Mars look like it does in the Expanse. Help me do that Paradox.

https://www.humanmars.net/2019/12/martian-colonies-in-season-4-of-expanse.html?m=1

Per Aspera might be up your alley: https://store.steampowered.com/app/803050/Per_Aspera/

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

It looks neat, thanks for the recommendation.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Have they made blueprints or has someone modded in blueprints? That was my biggest issue with the game towards the mid-late game. I'd start having a population and resource boom, and what held me back was the sheer quantity of clicking required to get everything to work.

Even just little things like setting scrubbers to max radius automatically make a huge difference.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Kaal posted:

It looks neat, thanks for the recommendation.

It is quite good, but suffered from a lack of polish when I played it. They're planning a big update soon which looks rather good.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So the new expansion is out but its kind of underwhelming on the surface (:v:) of it. If you break it down to its bare essentials the expansion has:

New events.
A new map layer.
A new resource that is only applicable for the new map layer.
New skins for buildings/domes.

For all of this they are asking 20€

The problem I have with is that they haven't solved any of the interesting problems that are introduced by the new map layer. The elevator is manually operated by the player, so the surface and underground exist in vacuums separate from each other. You can move resources up and down but again that's a micro management sink. They introduced one interesting mechanic in the darkness and require the player to build lights in the underground, but they also put a tech into the first tier that eliminates their upkeep so you can just spam them everywhere for no real cost besides the metal.

Every building you build down under is the exact same as the ones you're building up top. You've got underground domes that are just a differently skinned surface dome instead of something cool like a sealed rock dig out you can expand on to get more building space. Every building inside these domes (including spires) are the same as the surface ones. To me its a wholly uninspiring and barebones expansion that's dressed up with some neat themes.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Well that's dissapointing. I hear the tourism pack was technically underwhelming but I really liked the actual stuff. I'm sad to hear that the stuff is the issue this time.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If they had even gone with the option of sealing the caverns piecemeal so each cavern section becomes its own "dome" kind of that could have been interesting because at least then you would have had wildly different "dome" shapes and sizes to work with.

Though I'm not sure the game even has enough buildings for that to be worthwhile.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

OwlFancier posted:

If they had even gone with the option of sealing the caverns piecemeal so each cavern section becomes its own "dome" kind of that could have been interesting because at least then you would have had wildly different "dome" shapes and sizes to work with.

Though I'm not sure the game even has enough buildings for that to be worthwhile.
That's what I was thinking, new, weird dome shapes dictated by environment.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
I really, really wanted to be able to tent entire canyons, and kind of assumed that's what was coming. But alas, no.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Lol so further along the entire DLC patch has broken the game to a ridiculous degree. A bunch of game rules straight up don't work, if you play with max disaster rules you get no disasters. Drones get stuck and can't pathfind on asteroids. This is Leviathan all over again.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Demiurge4 posted:

so the surface and underground exist in vacuums

that's just the asteroids actually :rimshot:

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

Demiurge4 posted:

Lol so further along the entire DLC patch has broken the game to a ridiculous degree. A bunch of game rules straight up don't work, if you play with max disaster rules you get no disasters. Drones get stuck and can't pathfind on asteroids. This is Leviathan all over again.

Yeah I'm 100ish sols into my new playthrough with 5-star disasters and I haven't gotten a single cold wave or dust storm. I still do get random meteor showers, but nothing like the bombardments it should be dropping on me.

Also emigration was messed up but there were a couple of SkiRich mods that fix that for now.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I was totally unable to finish exploring the underground to any significant degree the first run I tried, because there were all these rock entities in the pathways making traversal impossible. And I don't mean the cave-ins you need to research to be able to clear, the regular rocks. Troubling.

Asteroid mining is intriguing in concept but they really don't give you much time to fully exploit an asteroid and it's super easy to just lose everything, though research times can improve these. Hm. This DLC has promise but needs a lot of tuning.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Big patch/hotfix in today. Fixes a lot of the broken pathing issues, moves cave-in clearing techs earlier, they seem to be quick to address most of the issues people were having with Below and Beyond. I'll give it another go.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Been playing this since the base game was free on steam sometime last month, and my thoughts are:

1)As much as the thread says that IMM is too easy to teach you how to play, getting Last War as my mystery is sure a crash course in actually paying attention to your resources(and how much is left in your deposits) and how hard you'll be hosed if you don't get new deposits online before you run out. I got my metal stablized just in time to start running out of food, because even before the refugees it turns out my colony got a lot more people in it than I realized. And now the game wants me to send hundreds of precious resources back to earth! :shepface: (honestly not complaining, a recurring problem with these games is that they're most interesting when you're scrambling for resources/building up the basics at the start and get boring later)
2)The default birth policy should be 'births if the dome isn't full' instead of 'poo poo out as many babies as you want forever', and my feelings about this definitely aren't colored by me running out of food because my colonists couldn't stop loving even as homeless piled up in the streets with nowhere to go. At least it's not hard to change that once you're aware it's an option, but yeesh.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
It's only the most recent DLC/patch that has offered a "Births until full" option at all IIRC.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

People will never stop loving, 10/10 good simulation

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Tylana posted:

It's only the most recent DLC/patch that has offered a "Births until full" option at all IIRC.
That explains it. Binging this thread surprised me with how many basic things weren't in the game at launch, like tunnels.

Also finding out this is the same dev that did Tropico makes me wish your space-homeless built little dome-shacks all across the landscape. It wouldn't be realistic but I don't care about that. :v:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Haifisch posted:

That explains it. Binging this thread surprised me with how many basic things weren't in the game at launch, like tunnels.

Also finding out this is the same dev that did Tropico makes me wish your space-homeless built little dome-shacks all across the landscape. It wouldn't be realistic but I don't care about that. :v:

Clearly that's what they should use the tunnels for. Space hobos.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Did the two content drops make the title true again?

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Splicer posted:

Did the two content drops make the title true again?

I would like to know this too, if anyone's checked them out. I really enjoyed this game and was going to buy the expansion before I heard it was buggy. If they've fixed that I'll give it a shot again.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

over this thread too!

It's in a pretty good place right now - they've fixed just about all the new bugs and the two new commander profiles are actually strong enough to let you change your playstyle to take advantage of asteroids/the underground earlygame for rare metals and other resources. That said, there's some events that need another pass (there's one where your first asteroid lander needs 20 electronics to repair that just about ended that playthrough - I ended up cheating past it). They also need to add an option to the scanning building to NOT store all my goddamn electronics. I hope they add some more exotic metal upgrades, though!

It's fresh and interesting and gives you a couple more tools to gather resources that uncouple you even more from mines.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Cool, thanks. I'll buy the expansion and give it a try as soon as I have some spare time.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
The long awaited trains DLC is dropping in just over a week.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

over this thread too!

Neat! Not much info yet, just a teaser and price list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fME_26QzIqA

GameSpot posted:

Red planet tourism simulator Surviving Mars will have three content creator packs added to it, which all launch on April 28. The first one, Martian Express, gives players the resources to build trains anywhere on the Martian surface and was created by modders Lucian "LukeH" Hada and Sylvain "Silva" Maupetit.

The second content drop, the Future Contemporary Cosmetic Pack, adds 10 terrestrial building skins that can be applied to your colony. The final drop is Revelation Radio, which adds approximately 70 minutes of music from four different artists across 16 songs.

Martian Express -- $7
Future Contemporary Cosmetic Pack -- $5
Revelation Radio -- $4

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/surviving-mars-adds-trains-cosmetics-and-music-on-april-28/1100-6502548

More radio stations is always welcome, their new additions have all been good so far. The cosmetic pack sounds a little light on content, hopefully it'll be some things that don't have variants yet. And here's hoping the trains don't break too many things! :v:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Finally some good loving news, I've been shouting to add trains since release!

That said I hope the description about work means that I can build a train station next to an extractor and workers can commute from a dome to deposits outside of the dome range, if they can't then this doesn't really have a ton of utility besides moving resources.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I'd rather it worked like that as well, but at the worst case it might be a cheaper and earlier way to spread out domes that doesn't need shuttles. It would even still have a niche use if it works in dust storms.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

HiKaizer posted:

I'd rather it worked like that as well, but at the worst case it might be a cheaper and earlier way to spread out domes that doesn't need shuttles. It would even still have a niche use if it works in dust storms.

There's always been a niche use case for bulk transport in late game colonies and I am excited as hell for space trains trains.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

HiKaizer posted:

Yup, even if the only practical use ends up being one way tickets to the senescence dome I will absolutely consider it $7 well spent.

I wonder if they'll ever go back and just completely redo below and beyond. It will annoy me to have it just sitting there, unpurchased.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Splicer posted:

Yup, even if the only practical use ends up being one way tickets to the senescence dome I will absolutely consider it $7 well spent.

I wonder if they'll ever go back and just completely redo below and beyond. It will annoy me to have it just sitting there, unpurchased.

I bought it once people said the bugs were fixed and it was just... bland. It feels like it should be a viable second way to build a colony, but it isn't, because everything underground takes more resources including special space stuff that you can't mine automatically but have to direct colonists to do by hand. I found a natural wonder giant cave thing and played for a while trying to develop it before giving up because in the time it had taken to get that far I'd already gotten my "main" colony to end game other than terraforming.

Now that I understand the system a little better, I could probably do it faster next time, but I have zero desire to do so. Unlike a lot of people, I like replaying Surviving Mars every so often and find it a good, chill experience, but the expansion just added pointless busywork on top for no real gain. It's a hell of a shame because the concept is great and the execution is almost there.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Splicer posted:

There's a mod called Early Underground that helps with some of the annoyances of that DLC. It makes building your first dome underground a very real and viable option if you invest in an elevator. Mind you the mod will probably break with the new DLC patch.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Log082 posted:

I bought it once people said the bugs were fixed and it was just... bland. It feels like it should be a viable second way to build a colony, but it isn't, because everything underground takes more resources including special space stuff that you can't mine automatically but have to direct colonists to do by hand. I found a natural wonder giant cave thing and played for a while trying to develop it before giving up because in the time it had taken to get that far I'd already gotten my "main" colony to end game other than terraforming.

Now that I understand the system a little better, I could probably do it faster next time, but I have zero desire to do so. Unlike a lot of people, I like replaying Surviving Mars every so often and find it a good, chill experience, but the expansion just added pointless busywork on top for no real gain. It's a hell of a shame because the concept is great and the execution is almost there.
Yeah I want to build an underground colony, do lava tube stuff etc. Not build an extension to my existing above ground colony.

Demiurge4 posted:

There's a mod called Early Underground that helps with some of the annoyances of that DLC. It makes building your first dome underground a very real and viable option if you invest in an elevator. Mind you the mod will probably break with the new DLC patch.
Oh, this looks more like what I'm looking for. Feels weird to reward a bad DLC by buying it only to immediately apply someone else's fixes though.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 20, 2022

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Also for more Mars themed games, Terraformers is coming out today on Steam. It's basically a single player board game with cards and deck stacking.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Splicer posted:

Nice, now I have a third name for my old folks home, usually it's Logan's Run or Death Star.

Since I usually always play Chaos Theory, when Jets come up way late in the tech tree it is very very painful, that will make trains worth it for me.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Nice, now I have a third name for my old folks home, usually it's Logan's Run or Death Star.

Machine-Assisted Free Will Complex

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Some videos for the upcoming release:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9f-3bf56o0
Mechanics on the Martian Monorail.
-Available from the start
-Stations cost 10 metals and 5 machine parts, track costs concrete, trains cost 20 polymers and 5 electronics
-Stations come in 2 sizes: the default small (1 track connection) and later unlocked large (4 track connections)
-Immune to dust storms (not counting the usual extra maintenance), slowed down by cold snaps
-Trains will stop if the track is broken (i.e. meteor strikes).
-Colonists can die on them if the trip is too long (i.e train is stuck on the track).
-Tracks built/repaired from either end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWccT79waX4
Sneak peek at new skins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Is there a way to change your default skins?