Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I've picked this game recently, did a tutorial and jumped straight into free build mode. It's extremely chill experience with default "no achievements given" option of getting a full supply dump of stuff every Sol. It also probably ended up giving me a lot of bad habits. I've got a couple questions:
1. how do you get enough seeds to run a bigger terraforming network? Also how to supply all those planters with seeds without reacting to alerts?
2. domes - should I keep building biggest possible ones or a network of small/medium connected with tunnels? Can I make "halway domes" that act just like a node in a tunnel network?
3. for all those metals and precious metals buildings I need a dome nearby. Is it ok to just have the smallest dome with basic amenities nearby? Will shuttle network keep my settlers not crazy, with their kids getting into school etc? Building a self sustaining decent habitat just to grab some metals seems like a chore
4. how far can workers go from their home to workplace? Do I need to care who lives and works where assuming they can get to their place?

e: having read a bit of thread seems like I don't have trains expansion

alex314 fucked around with this message at 09:45 on May 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Thanks, it's very helpful. For seeds I meant terraforming building that starts with planting lichen. They tend to run out of seeds constantly for me, I may have too many running.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

It's probably something like that. I usually start with transport drone supplying faraway stockpiles from the central one, but over time I switch them to other duties and forget until I get info about requiring some consumable. It would help if automated transports would just "top up" stockpiles for the desired amounts.

I should probably start again, this time without magical supply dump, since getting free 20 of everything every Sol made me play terribly. I also never care about money since every time rocket comes it leaves with full load of precious metals.

I take I should buy Martian Express for hot train action. How about Below and Beyond?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Splicer posted:

If there's two drone hubs with overlapping areas and you put a stockpile in the overlap then they'll act as a distributed transport network.

I haven't thought about that! Another thing for my next playthrough.
Automated rovers have a grab materials toggle.
Another question about starting site: is there something more to consider there than the description on a map with hazards/supplies? Like having solar panels give less energy when on a site near poles.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Splicer posted:

Just to check, when you say you had rovers supplying the areas were they just dumping the seeds on the ground or did you have an actual seeds stockpile set up from the stockpile menu?

I had universal stockpiles, with occasional one type one for stuff like concrete if needed. So transport rovers are using supply routes where I designate pickup point from my main area and dropoff point at new stockpile. Then drones pick up and feed seeders etc.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Thanks for all the advice! I've started another free play with all achievement disabling options turned off and I'm doing ok so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Renegades - how do I get rid of them. I'd rather not put the police building in every dome. Can I get them brainwashed in the therapy spire? They don't seem to obey orders.