Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
How far do my concrete extractors spew dust? It just says "nearby" without giving me any indication of how many tiles away I need to place my power generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Hooooly crap trying to force people into their specialties is a nightmare, as is trying to sort people you want to bring from earth. People keep moving around and I have to micromanage every single open spot in every single building. If I want to sort out a genius to bring, I can't filter him out and queue him up and then go back for botanists, I have to fiddle to get everyone in one go and sort through 70 people because the list of who you've selected resets when you go back to the filters. Even super basic poo poo like overall energy and water usage is broken, energy because it doesn't show solar+night and water shows 0 instead of positive if your tanks are full. Jesus.

I'm starting to regret buying this game, it really needs a few patches or mods for someone with a brain to retrofit a decent UI onto this theoretically good management game.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 17, 2018

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
You need to dedicate 3 cheese slices to the basic needs right? Infirmary, diner, electronic store in one, then bar and open air gym?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

metasynthetic posted:

So, base design ideas.

This may seem obvious, but I've been using this topology for my electric grid, "power flowers":

It minimizes materials and wasted space spent on power cables. You can do the same thing with windmills. (The orientation is purely to satisfy my own OCD.) Haven't yet bothered figuring out the optimal pattern for interlinking flower cells.
Power cables and water pipes use 1 metal per 5 tiles. The first costs 1 metal and the next 4 are free. So each one of those dots costs the same as a 5 tile line. I don't think you're saving any money.