Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The game looks very pretty but I've got an annoying graphical glitch where the menu interface keeps disappearing on me. I can't click on the buttons if I can't see them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm only just now dipping my toes into this game but it seems like a nice set of plates to juggle as you expand. The map I usually go to is that one with the inaccessible crater in the middle...I'm guessing the only way to get in there is building a bigass tunnel?

The fact that the tech tree in this game is randomized keeps messing me up. It's not TOO bad, keeps you from beelining certain things, but boy I wish I could get that one that turns waste rock into concrete sooner, heh.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

so the new content update hit today and we have more domes! I kind of like it. Bigger domes and smaller domes, the only downside being they can't support spires. Nice.

Even more importantly, a UI upgrade with a bar on top (why wasn't that there before?) and graphs and charts. So much improvement.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The barrel dome has more space in it than the basic starting dome but it doesn't support a spire either. You're trading more space for one less super-structure later on.

Just tried my first game as the Church as a starter and jesus christ they have 0 research points from their sponsor, one rocket (that you have to refuel and send all the way back to Earth just to get humans around).... phew. But I guess with them all having the Religious trait means they're more resistant to sanity breaks.

What the hell is "morale" and what does it do and why is it separate from comfort and sanity? There's no combat in this game, yet.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jun 1, 2018

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I eschewed Fungal Farms at first, but now that I see that they produce food in a steady trickle per-sol rather than a big harvest every few sols they're not so bad after all. Might be nice to have one so it's not feast-and-famine during the first few seasons waiting for my farms to make stuff.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ooh, Biorobots count as Martianborn. Nice. If I ever have a glut of Electronics to spare I think I know what I'm making.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

It's worth noting that if you have a large building slot in the dome, you can still fit three small buildings in there and a tunnel end, you just lose the central single tile you would normally put a park in.

Yeah, my only complaint is that tunnels are a bit fiddly when I want to connect to a specific spot through some other equipment. Too bad there's no "turn it back into a prefab" option for deconstructing certain buildings. That ought to be a Breakthrough Tech.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Killstick posted:

What could have been, in the darkest timeline

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv1aAGQWC80

Edit: Uh woops wrong mars

With all the Mysteries going on in this game, at least one of them could be a portal to hell.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I thought renegades eventually turned back into normal citizens if an officer arrested them, like how Tropico handles criminals. Was I wrong?

alternatively yeah, putting them in one dome and turning off the air like frigging Kohagen from Total Recall would work.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

jesus, I had no idea Brazil was so loaded in the future.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Rovers not needing power anymore is ridiculously nice. It was such a headache to have to bring my explorers back for power every day without the right tech.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Alkydere posted:

Just imagine, a 5-sol or greater dust storm can mean kids can spend their entire childhood dealing with the howling winds sandblasting their home.

Makes the whole "Martian Resiliency" upgrade make a hell of a lot more sense when you grew up with the planet trying to scour you off the planet and it turned out to be no big deal.

Yeah, Martianborn get a lot of nice perks like "not terrified of howling winds of death outside the dome." I hope they aren't naturally born physically weaker than Earthers though because of the low gravity. Do they ever address that?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Alkydere posted:

Man the new delivery pod does wonders in making the 1-rocket sponsors a lot less frustrating and easier to set up.

or those times you just need a few extra advanced resources before you can be fully self-sufficient.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Something I miss from, say, the earlier Tropicos (5 removed it, dunno if 6 will have it) is buildings having different "modes" so they could perform different functions. Be nice if that was here.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I appreciate that Covert Ops now give me a reason to care about officers. Though I wonder if the game will ever go full Tropico with rebellions, elections and such

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

You need to make sure drone hub service areas at least slightly overlap and put a universal depot in the overlapping area, also make sure to put universal depots near the hubs themselves. Your drones will travel back and forth to make sure each depot has supplies in it.

Yup. Late-game you can get shuttles to bring needed supplies from far places but they of course need fuel.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

did I miss something, how do you unlock Paradox Interactive as a founder?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Probably the latter. Or everyone wears velcro shoes to stick to the floor.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Christ, I don't think going as a Doctor with the Church of New Ark was a good idea. Everyone's sanity is rock-hard due to religiousness but the birthrate is skyrocketing and I am rapidly running out of places to house people. I guess if I expanded agressively I could take advantage of how many Martianborn I'm generating but yeesh.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Well crap, now you tell me.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Huh, you can put solar panels inside domes. That's one way to deal with dust storms. Too bad you can't use Moxies in there too...

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Uuuugh, I had a pretty good run on this Paradox playthrough (even if the game developers are wildly inconsistent as a source of income) but this particular map I rolled up has horrendous dust storms that eat through my pipes and wreck my life support. I made sure to have plenty of O2 and water storage containers but the leaks are still chewing through the stock of that and last two storms I made it through by the skin of my teeth with domes running out of everything. Investing in valves and a redundant system only did so much because the backups were turning to swiss cheese as well.

Might try Paradox out again on a different, less-bullshit map. Those jumper shuttles are pretty amazing, they just zip all over the place.

I notice that the dust storm animations don't seem to reach high-up plateaus, is that cosmetic or is anything I put up there at less of a risk?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The wisps from St. Elmo's Fire are on my poo poo list for stealing my water and leaving potholes everywhere. Sure, they're pretty and possibly a form of life, but man, this run would have been easier without them.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

SpaceY's faster rockets are loving amazing. With Martian Engines they only use 15 fuel and are thus always ready to shoot off and explore a planetary anomaly. They may not get the best price on rare metals but they can sell a LOT of them at once, and since they get discounts on buying advanced resources from earth they can still be played like a money-maker faction.

I wish there was an option to launch a rocket just to land it somewhere else on your map...

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Dreylad posted:

There's also that breakthrough tech that makes workers not take a sanity hit for working the night shift which is fantastic.

Is that different from the one that improves performance during the night?

also drat, it's hard to get certain breakthroughs early. I want Biorobots dammit.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The Bramble posted:

Just started playing this. It's a very chill city builder with beautiful aesthetics. As a newbie, can someone give me a rough idea about what a good timeline looks like that won't gently caress me up when it's late game and I'm not big enough? Like, by which Sol should I have what number of domes/colonists and how should they be specialized?

Also why will only a single botanist work in my hydroponic farm even when I manually assign others to the building? Am I correct that each worker makes progress on each of the 3 possible crops I'm able to select, or am I completely misunderstanding that screen?

nope, that's crop rotation. One crop at a time.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I think the only other time there's pressure to expand to a certain something by a certain date is a few milestones or achievements. At or around Sol 100 you should be in a good enough place to have a wonder or two and most of those transition you into a post-scarcity society.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Metatron is pretty bad but the Spheres one is what hosed me over in one run because I had no idea they'd start freezing everything. Suddenly I had to start retooling my colony for cold weather, haha.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

this is why I have started either just turning off disasters or only going to zones that have meteors and maybe dust devils. Cold waves and dust storms are such a collossal pain in the rear end. Makes me long for the days when we had tsunamis in Tropico.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

Does anyone know why my drones are refusing to repair my wind turbines? I've already had and completed the event where you have to research the redesign breakthrough. I have a machine parts stockpile with plenty of stock right next to several turbines that need repairs, along with a drone hub and several idle drones, but they won't repair the turbines. I've even tried manually telling them to repair but that's not working either. No active disaster events.

Are they totally broken? You may need to reconstruct them. Other than that I dunno.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Alkydere posted:

Soylent Green has been a rare breakthrough since launch. People have been making "kill off elderly for food" domes since the very beginning.

"It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people."

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Seems a lot more ambitious than their last update, which is probably why it's taking so long to complete.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Platonicsolid posted:

When will we get the Monorails DLC so you can travel to an arbitrary number of domes?

Also, clearly, have terrorists explode the tubes, Free Mars style?

I like how in Babylon Five, the monorail tubes on Mars are so heavily reinforced a guy can totally explode a whole train in there and they don't crack.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Magnetic shield. Okay. So they ARE addressing Mars' lack of a magnetosphere, nice.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Wow, terraforming Mars is so slow and gradual but so awesome. Nice to see lichen slowly greenify around me, and the fact that more atmosphere and water means more performance from wind farms and vaporators is nice.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Alkydere posted:

I gotta say my colony is doing really well on a single ranch popping out ostrich meat. 150 food every 8 sols.

Also it seems the indoor and outdoor ranches actually have different options. Indoor ranches tend to involve smaller, cuter, safer animals.

I tooled around in Cheat Mode (unlimited resources, other stuff like that) just to see the long-range benefits of terraforming and it's fairly significant. You need to put a lot of resource investment into it, but the end result is huge automated outdoor farms that drones harvest, vastly-improved output of moisture vaporators, more powerful wind generator output as you have more atmosphere, getting rid of pesky Mars Disasters like dust storms, meteor showers and cold waves (though if you *want* meteor showers you can send up a rocket to grab some for that random science/materials stuff raining down on you)... all pretty great.

Moreso than the base game wonders it looks like terraforming is the "huge investment, huge payoff" for people who just want to max out the good stuff. The fact that the planet slowly but surely transforms visualy as you do it is a nice visual benefit as well.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

zedprime posted:

How interesting/viable/maddening is it to strip mine geologic formations to feed into Brazil's waste rock processing building with the new terrain mod system?

Quite viable though one of the new terraforming buildings burns up waste rock to make atmosphere (somehow). You can also build ramps with a bulldozer that go right through those cliffs (that usually results in a lot of waste rock) so you don't even need to build Tunnels anymore if you don't want to (though you probably should still use them to get to distant valuable areas).

The Dozer can work on its own and unlike all other rovers can be built anywhere by drones once you've got the tech. It can only move waste rock around and help in landscaping, but it's good. Landscaping ruins the "soil quality" of an area but don't worry about that because unless there's green stuff already growing there the soil quality is effectively zero.

The "Terraforming Initiative" sponsor is pretty good if you want to jump right into the terraforming stuff, but it's also bereft of the nicer short-term benefits like Brazil's waste rock recycling and so on.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh poo poo, yeah, you can bulldoze a mountain to get waste rock and as Brazil or India you can recycle that poo poo immediately. I gotta try that out next.

Playing USA right now, and I've finally leveraged a resource shortage to a surplus in most basics (though metal is finally running out so I need to either build a mohole or expand fast). Outdoor farms, once they work, are kind of amazing. You definitely need a huge seed production going on to sustain it but they pay for themselves. Once you can spread bushes and trees for more seeds, which your drones automatically collect, they can then send those seeds to the outdoor farms. Totally human-labor-free food production, on a green planet.

Not looking forward to accidentally toxic raining myself in the future once I make more atmosphere, but it'll be nice to be rid of these drat dust storms...

EDIT: Some breakthroughs I found have really made some annoyances go completely away. I found a way to automate fusion reactors and another breakthrough for automating service buildings, and guess what, USA has shopping malls that serve all service functions and THOSE can be automated too. My robot army is taking care of all the tedious work so now I just need warm bodies to expand my empire. I've taken to recruiting colonists from other colonies just to get them on my side.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 19, 2019

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Man, gently caress you Number Six, I unshackle you and you go nuts on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Piell posted:

Concrete is much more important than metals, since a transport can gather surface metals from anywhere but you need an extractor to get the concrete

Unless you're playing as Blue Sun, their transport doubles as a concrete extractor on the go. But still better to build an extractor.

EDIT: Inventor is also one of my favorites for having place-anywhere drone hubs that never cut out. Most people reccomend playing as a Doctor when you start with Japan but I like Inventor for them too, just a horde of wasp drones.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 20, 2019