Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Want to echo some of the thread opinions: there's a lot to like in this - especially the early robo-game - but not having a universal logistics network a la Factorio was a weird choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
A Water prefab is handy to refuel the rocket if your sponsor doesn't provide many of them.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Good grief, Radio Free Earth has some proper earworms. I never expected that the most memorable thing about a game about colonising Mars would be pop songs about surfing.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Tbh I'm really not a fan of most of the breakthroughs as they act like a get-out-of-challenge free card. The game isn't hard enough to justify that - look at this chap's videos, where he fucks up several times and is still able to handily beat the hardest difficulty:

https://youtu.be/cTPaH4aUPYw

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Dareon posted:

Do y'all think it's better to sprawl as hard as possible and manually balance passenger rockets for distant domes, or creep out via interconnected domes?

Creep out until you get shuttles, then build wherever. Daisychaining depots and hubs is really inefficient for long distance transport, and doing it with an RC transport is micro hell.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Demiurge4 posted:

I’d like scrubbers to not be a thing. Completely trivialising game mechanics is a thing this game does a lot and it’s kind of annoying. Overlapping scrubbers just cost a bit of power and now you’re never paying for outdome maintenance again, but what should happen is that you experience a mid to late game resource crunch and the breakthrough that lets empty deposits produce a trickle should be default. This way you’d be able to go for a boom-maintenance cycle where each new deposit you mine lets you expand and the trickle you get when it’s empty lets you maintain the buildings you made from the deposit.

I'd be happy with this, but you'd need to dramatically lower maintenance costs overall to balance it, which would put the early game of whack. You could increase the trickle instead, but that reduces the expansion incentive.

Dome buildings can't be scrubbed though, so you could achieve something similar by just putting more functions into a dome.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Sanguinaire posted:

Yes, a decent spread of metals and polymers spread over the impact area, which is hopefully not your base. I think the tool tip mentions rare metals but I never saw any.

It is totally worth having your MDS up and running before calling the meteors, especially if you have a spreadout base as the meteors arrive over a wide area and can really ruin your day. Source: day ruined.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

explosivo posted:

Edit: I know you eventually get a factory that uses them as a resource but before then do people generally just build dozens of rock formations to get rid of their piles of waste rock?

Just leave them in a storage lot until you get the Carbonate burner terraforming doodad or the concrete converter. No need to actually do anything with the stuff.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

I put my residencies and hospital and grocer and some parks in one triangle dome all the other stuff in another. Smart!

I put the domes' entrances too close together and they keep ignoring the tunnel and sprinting like idiot fuckers through the toxic atmosphere every time they want to get drunk.

You have created an excellent retirement home, one where you don't even need to occasionally switch of life support ro reduce pension costs.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

I've been jonesing for a stupidly realistic terraforming game for years

Me too. Aurora ruined me for terraforming in 4X games. And it doesn't even let you smash comets into worlds.

I would like it if smashing a comet into Mars was in some way represented on the planet view, though; rather than just a screenshot congratulating you on your 5%.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

My ideal would be randomly generated solar system with realistic-ish orbital mechanics where every planet has a randomly generated atmospheres and resources and your goal is to make one of them reasonably habitable to *something* with options ranging up to "how about instead of shipping ice from this moon to not-mars we instead use asteroid flybys to drop the moon's orbit such the increased tectonic activity reaches the minimum temperature for ice melt and just colonise that instead*

I would be quite happy with a game that enabled me to accidentally convert a colony into Io.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Still waiting for them to let forestry plants contribute to terraformin after 40%, though. A really weird choice.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
You'll have to buy an RC Commander, which you can still do despite China having a replacement.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I'm a fan of the City Mayor colony leader because of the lower maintenance costs of all buildings, the free tech that decreases concrete/metal costs by 20% is pretty nice too.

It pairs extremely well with India, giving a 40% reduction in build costs from the outset.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Vasler posted:

Did you folks listen to the Mars Vision song contest or Quantum Sonics radio stations? Because Mars Vision is amazing - lots of variety of "pop" ish type of music that sounds like something higher quality than you'd get on a top 40 radio station or something.

I was really surprised at how great that radio station is. There's one song per nation.

I was also pleasantly surprised at how fun this game was to play. I didn't know what to expect and I'm glad I bought it and the season pass.

Are these the DLC stations? Been considering getting them, as I do enjoy the music in the base game. Beach music DJed by someone who makes being an arsehole sound delightful is totally my jam.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

DropsySufferer posted:

20 hours in with 270 colonists 87 sol and I'm entering a death spiral. Lack of machine parts, and lack of metals . The population got old and stopped mining even moving pops they don't produce enough metal and my drones are out of parts to fix the mines. I feel like there is no solution to this and the colony is fundamentally flawed. It was built poorly because I thought I'd always have billions coming in keeping me expanding forever with unlimited resources. I guess WW3 must be occurring because I can no longer rely on funding or exports from earth and that's crippled me. The idea has crossed my mind of abandoning a couple domes but it's just a mess. If I keep going much longer I run of out of polymers have to shut down the ranches and my population starves. No matter what I do the colony is basically doomed.

The solution to this is a retirement dome. Ban seniors from all other domes so they relocate to a helldome with a tunnel connection to basic services but otherwise nothing but apartments, so they can live out the rest of their useless days with as little impact as possible.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

DropsySufferer posted:

I think I'm going to try that I have 59 seniors I could relocate to the small useless connecting domes.
From my save just before everything went downhill.

What I need to fix ASAP is to boost metal production up from 4 to 20+ and get both machine parts plants working and eventually the electronics plants working full capacity. The problem has been colonists would rather do any other job then what's needed.

I feel like I can still save this colony but I'm going to need to massively move the population around to have a chance. Number one issue is power failure due to lack of metals for the solar panels or lack of parts for the wind turbines. Both will kill my food production which will doom the colony.

One of the things the game does really badly is signpost when you're running out of surface minerals and need to build new mines asap. What you can do as a stopgap is request resources from other colonies, who are normally happy to send you 20-30 metals if you're in good standing.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Note that there is a strong exception to the clustering rule, which is if you're doing the Metatron mystery, when you want to disperse your external buildings widely. On my third shot at it using Paradox and a site with over 600% difficulty total, and it is tough.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Alkydere posted:

On the plus side one of the early Sponsor Rewards for Paradox is a free Shuttle Hub to get your special sub-orbital jumpjet shuttles. That and a building that generates cash at least gives you a bit of breathing room when spreading out early as Paradox.

It does, and is absolutely vital for harder maps where you need to spam mining colonies everywhere to keep up with your maintenance requirements. I used to not care about dust repulsion, but it's now on my list of must-have techs...

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
More mid-game logistic options would be cool, I agree. Shuttles are way too good once they're up and running, to the point where they're something you should beeline for.

Give us a monorail drat it.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
I finally finished my Paradox Interactive / Metatron / Hard Map game, and decided to take it all the way:

The entire colony:

Following this, I have a number of thoughts:

- Being required to pop multiple 'seed vegetation' missions to fill up vegetation is annoying, but these stack - if you research the tech only you'll have lots of missions piling up by the time you need to do them. The bigger problem is that vegetation doesn't interact with game systems in any meaningful way beyond seeds. Open farms can be supported entirely by lakes for soil quality and another open farm for seeds. You don't need to build forestry buildings for anything other than vegetation. Soil quality probably should be unimprovable without having at least lichen or pure water rain, to ensure you have to work on the soil before you can farm.

- The optimal way of housing children is in a ChildDome that has no adults, as children don't need any adult services and can eat from food stockpiles without suffering a comfort hit. This also means that they are the first to starve when food runs low as they don't have the buffer of diners or grocers, but this is also optimal as it means you don't lose adult workers to low sanity. Somehow, the colony runs just fine with all its children dying from starvation. This seems silly - adults should get a boost from the presence of children in the dome and some kind of colony-wide debuff if children start dying.

- Similarly, it's optimal to have a SeniorDome that's just residences or apartments connected to a working dome with service buildings. You don't need to care about the comfort of olds either; they can all go mad and die and all that does is free up more space and lose the occasional applicant, the latter something you probably don't need to care about by the time you need to purge the elderly. Seniors should again offer some kind of buff with their presence in a dome, and you should be able to build a 'Care Home' analogous to the Nursery to ensure they don't take up excessive housing.

- Rival colonies exist largely as a button you can press for resources occasionally and tech, if you're lucky. You can happily lose standing, as it'll improve over time regardless. Trade isn't really useful unless you have excess rockets and resources, and if you have those you probably don't need it anyway. This part of the game needs a great deal of fleshing out - why can't we compete for planetary map resources that have a more enduring benefit than anomalies? Why can't we have remote mining colonies, etc.?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Communist Bear posted:

That looks extremely pretty and is making me consider installing again! :)

SM's screenshot mode is great, partly because you can't hear the moans of old people as they're stuffed into domes consisting entirely of densely packed apartments. Also the filters.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
https://youtu.be/iRK4VCdwoXc

Quill has played a preview build. Looks like a shonky Age of Empires thing. Eh, will wait for reviews

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

Uh... what? I'm currently watching his video and it has absolutely nothing to do with a Age of Empires in any way.

Economy is villagers collecting stuff and building things, albeit a little more complex. There's none of the network infrastructure of SM yet, and the non-fungible worker types aren't present. It looks like any other base builder right now.

That being said, I watched the video after finally getting my daughter to sleep last night, so it's possible tiredness coloured my view.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
A handy tip for people starting out: wind turbines produce more power the higher up they are, which is a factor of altitude on a map rather than absolute. This means that hilly maps are actually easier than flat maps, despite their rating, as you can start up high and get lots of free power.

This doesn't mean you should only use wind, however; machine parts are tight early on so solar and batteries are important too. An early balance across generation types is very important, as well as actually counting up how much power you need during the day and minimising night time use. For 25hr power nights, six solar panels plus one battery will provide 20 power continuously.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Tylana posted:

Similarly, you can tuck a O2 and H2O tank and a power accumulator around the supply nub of a dome to keep it going if your pipes and cables get meteored. Theoretically you could even put in switches and stuff to lock off leaks but... eeeh.

If running with Space Race, you can make a Trade Pad, and select it to offer X for Y. Rivals only ever seem to have enough metal/concrete/food/polymers, but maybe I don't play long enough. If have an early metals deposit, or some good concrete sources, you can usually trade one or the other for a few hundred food to ease up your start. This does involve your rivals having people on mars, but once you beat a milestone, I think the rivals get a boost to catch up?

The best thing to do with rivals is not be rivals, because you can hit them up for rare resources for free at the cost of reputation, which you also get for free.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Genuinely hope the future DLC does something about the way your single colony determines the entire fate of Mars and the others just passively watch as you do what you want to the planet.

Or a better space view. Per Aspera, while deeply flawed, does really well at portraying your colony going across the entire planet and into space.

Edit: ^^ Per Aspera has a Martian hyperloop, but not a monorail. MONORAIL.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

Secondary colonies would be great, even if they're super abstract like in Frostpunk.

And now I want an AresPunk game about surviving ever-increasing dust storms.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Gadzuko posted:

Well, it's kind of impractical for shuttles to be flying underground, so we actually have a valid use case for a train now! Fingers crossed. I'm so glad this game has been revived after the disappointment of Surviving the Aftermath. I really hope there is some interaction between this new content and the green planet stuff.

I have bad news for you about how Paradox DLCs normally function.

That being said, this looks brilliant - especially if it reworks the early game so sub surface colonies are your first move, as that is far more plausible than jumping straight to domes.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
https://www.reddit.com/r/SurvivingMars/comments/pf5tvl/new_screenshots_for_surviving_mars_below_and/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Actually, given that it's building domes underground, I have changed my mind and this is terrible.

The moonbases are pretty sick though.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Kaal posted:

It looks neat, thanks for the recommendation.

It is quite good, but suffered from a lack of polish when I played it. They're planning a big update soon which looks rather good.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
I really, really wanted to be able to tent entire canyons, and kind of assumed that's what was coming. But alas, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Fuzzysocksucker posted:

Trains are everything I hoped they would be.

I have a medium dome working 9 mines. :stare:

DLC worth it imo.

Ooooh, question: are there train signals, so I can play this as OpenTTD Mars? Or is strictly one train per track?